Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  138 139 [140] 141 142   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/22/2017 9:25:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I don't know if you remember what was said about Leidner last year by McShay....but they thought he was a 1st round talent before the year started. Anyone that watched the Gophers play the year before knew he wasn't that good.

The draft class this past year mostly Kizer, Mahomes, etc. was supposed to be one of the worst but all those guys have done is look good.....so I have a tough time agreeing with you when you are touting your favorite schools QB as the #1 pick, just saying.

Please, lets not compare Leidner to Darnold. That's a complete injustice.

And for what it's worth, USC is not my favorite team. I've been rooting for the Gophers for 50 years. I had an opportunity to go to the USC game last week (for free) and turned it down. I've been a realist on USC for years. I said Mike Williams was too slow. I said Lienart had a suspect arm. I said John David Booty was awful. Admittedly, I thought Jarrett would be a decent player.

As for Kizer and Mahomes, we'll wait and see. Right now Kizer has a 57% completion percentage and one touchdown against four interceptions. That's a long ways from a good start.

You were high on more USC guys than that and the PAC 10 in general......Booty was a 4th to 5th round pick. How many of those guys were #1 picks?

The average QB is very athletic....Wentz, Bradford, etc. are very athletic guys that look slow on the NFL field....how do you think Darnold will look? All I am saying is he has to go the Brady route....work on his foot work immensely and be able to be better than a slow dancing bear back there. He is going to scare off a lot of teams. I don't see him as the #1 pick, 1st round yes.

Can he be as good as Big Ben?

He'll be fine. He moves well in the pocket, has a quick release, doesn't get too emotional and is very smart.

And for it's worth, I was never a believer that Barkley was going to be any good either. He was the same quarterback at USC when he left as when he arrived. He had a strong arm, but would often try to fit the ball into holes that weren't there with his big arm.

And also, I wouldn't put Bradford into the athletic category.

You are missing the point, I am talking more in college and how that translates to the pros. Wentz, Bradford, etc. were able to move a lot more in college than in the pro game....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/22/2017 9:32:37 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3476
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/22/2017 9:49:27 AM   
McMurfy

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.
We can count and have no delusions of grandeur unlike the Big 10.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 3477
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/22/2017 10:38:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.

Sorry Murph...Pac-12 just doesn't flow as nice...lol

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3478
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 1:37:37 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know if you remember what was said about Leidner last year by McShay....but they thought he was a 1st round talent before the year started. Anyone that watched the Gophers play the year before knew he wasn't that good.

The draft class this past year mostly Kizer, Mahomes, etc. was supposed to be one of the worst but all those guys have done is look good.....so I have a tough time agreeing with you when you are touting your favorite schools QB as the #1 pick, just saying.

Please, lets not compare Leidner to Darnold. That's a complete injustice.

And for what it's worth, USC is not my favorite team. I've been rooting for the Gophers for 50 years. I had an opportunity to go to the USC game last week (for free) and turned it down. I've been a realist on USC for years. I said Mike Williams was too slow. I said Lienart had a suspect arm. I said John David Booty was awful. Admittedly, I thought Jarrett would be a decent player.

As for Kizer and Mahomes, we'll wait and see. Right now Kizer has a 57% completion percentage and one touchdown against four interceptions. That's a long ways from a good start.

You were high on more USC guys than that and the PAC 10 in general......Booty was a 4th to 5th round pick. How many of those guys were #1 picks?

The average QB is very athletic....Wentz, Bradford, etc. are very athletic guys that look slow on the NFL field....how do you think Darnold will look? All I am saying is he has to go the Brady route....work on his foot work immensely and be able to be better than a slow dancing bear back there. He is going to scare off a lot of teams. I don't see him as the #1 pick, 1st round yes.

Can he be as good as Big Ben?

He'll be fine. He moves well in the pocket, has a quick release, doesn't get too emotional and is very smart.

And for it's worth, I was never a believer that Barkley was going to be any good either. He was the same quarterback at USC when he left as when he arrived. He had a strong arm, but would often try to fit the ball into holes that weren't there with his big arm.

And also, I wouldn't put Bradford into the athletic category.

You are missing the point, I am talking more in college and how that translates to the pros. Wentz, Bradford, etc. were able to move a lot more in college than in the pro game....

Lots of people with far more experience at choosing quarterbacks with NFL picks have missed on quarterback choices in the first round of the NFL draft. I think he'll be good, but I'm only one voice.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3479
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 1:42:37 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.

Precisely. Like I said last season when the Big Ten was supposed to have three of the best defenses in the nation..."it's only because the conference has no quarterbacks or offenses". What happened in their bowl games? Michigan gave up 33, Ohio State 31 and Penn State 52. So much for their great defenses!

Don't ask me if I think Sam Darnold is great. Ask the Penn State defensive coordinator.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/23/2017 1:44:37 AM >

Post #: 3480
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 9:35:10 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.

Precisely. Like I said last season when the Big Ten was supposed to have three of the best defenses in the nation..."it's only because the conference has no quarterbacks or offenses". What happened in their bowl games? Michigan gave up 33, Ohio State 31 and Penn State 52. So much for their great defenses!

Don't ask me if I think Sam Darnold is great. Ask the Penn State defensive coordinator.

Ask the USC defensive coordinator about the Penn States offense and QB.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3481
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 9:41:06 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.

I had no idea Pac10 teams even hired defensive coordinators.
Post #: 3482
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 10:15:09 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.

Penn State was given about 27 points by the refs in that game. It was one of the worst officiated games in college football history.

Having said that, Penn State has some exciting and talented players, including one of the best backs in the country.

Post #: 3483
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 10:16:10 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.

It's hard to be a defensive coordinator in the Pac 12 when about 2/3rds of the teams have NFL quarterbacks on their roster.

Post #: 3484
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 11:41:38 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Phil,
It's the Pac-12.

Penn State was given about 27 points by the refs in that game. It was one of the worst officiated games in college football history.

Having said that, Penn State has some exciting and talented players, including one of the best backs in the country.

Let it go. Bad calls on both sides.
USC couldn't stop their running game or their passing game.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3485
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 11:59:10 AM   
bohumm

USC is the closest thing I have to a college football affiliation,but I am always skeptical of offensive skill position players who come out of the Pac 12 (and the Big 12/14). Though I may well be wrong, I see Darnold as the cross between Teddy and Bradford some on here pined for. He needs to keep improving his accuracy, but he's gritty and skilled. I think he has the chance to be extraordinary, but he's not there yet.
Post #: 3486
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 3:15:06 PM   
Jeff Jesser

He looks like crap so far today.
Post #: 3487
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 3:43:11 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

He looks like crap so far today.

Yeah, but the USC cheerleaders look darn good!
Post #: 3488
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 4:55:48 PM   
JTC2017

USC is not a top 5 team

2016 Vikings Defense: "You can't throw passes from your ass!"
Post #: 3489
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 5:21:51 PM   
JT2

I'm a Darnold fan.

USC may have the worst group of WR's in the conference.
Post #: 3490
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 5:33:50 PM   
Jeff Jesser

You sound like the announcers Pete. He's made some nice throws but he's had a bunch of puzzlers that had nothing to do with the WR's.
Post #: 3491
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 5:39:29 PM   
JT2

quote:

You sound like the announcers Pete. He's made some nice throws but he's had a bunch of puzzlers that had nothing to do with the WR's.

I didn't mean specifically this game.

USC does lead the PAC in dropped passes so far.
Post #: 3492
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 5:50:13 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Gotcha. i think they mentioned he has 7 picks already and he threw 2 in the first that could/should have been picked.
Post #: 3493
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 5:50:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

BTW- I haven't watched any of him besides this game so my opinion is very limited.
Post #: 3494
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 5:53:07 PM   
JT2

quote:

BTW- I haven't watched any of him besides this game so my opinion is very limited.

Compared to Bowers, he looks like Brady.
Post #: 3495
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 6:31:51 PM   
bohumm

He needs to become more consistent, but he's young. And I agree that USC currently seems overrated.
Post #: 3496
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 9:43:50 PM   
JT2

Barkley is a whole lot of fun to watch.

It's early, but I just can't see anybody touching him in the Heisman voting.
Post #: 3497
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 10:01:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Interesting how Iowa always gives Penn State ... fits.
Post #: 3498
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 10:07:04 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Interesting how Iowa always gives Penn State ... fits.

Believe it or not, they did a good job vs. Barkley, even though he ends up with close to 350 yards.
Post #: 3499
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/23/2017 10:10:20 PM   
JT2

Fun game. Two shots.
Post #: 3500
Page:   <<   < prev  138 139 [140] 141 142   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  138 139 [140] 141 142   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode