Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/19/2014 11:42:29 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

How about OU piling up over 500 yards of offense and still lose.

Just life evening things out.. they had 28 total yards and were winning the Red River Shootout last week at halftime 17-14 (they won the game).

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1576
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/19/2014 12:00:33 PM   
Bradley H

Dang, Bama showed up yesterday.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1577
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/19/2014 4:11:22 PM   
Andy Lowe

Now that Barret is getting comfy, don't count out the Bucks
Post #: 1578
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/19/2014 8:11:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley H

Dang, Bama showed up yesterday.

That game really surprised me. I thought A&M was suppose to be formidable.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1579
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 10:12:02 AM   
djskillz

I was in Alabama this weekend for the Talladega race (work; not pleasure) and I was laughing because several Alabama fans were talking about how "terrible" their team is this year. Umm, you've lost 1 game to Ole Miss, at on the road. A game that you almost without a doubt win at home. And you're now clearly in the driver seat for the National Championship. With both Auburn and Miss St on the schedule, but both at home. You win those guys, you're a lock for the title, #1, etc. And you will likely be favored in all of those games as well as throughout the playoff it you make it.

No wonder Saban talks about the unrealistic/burden of expectations there. Jeez.

I still believe the 5 best teams in the country are all in the SEC this year, with FSU close if they play to their potential. Ramsey is indeed a stud.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Michigan State and Oregon lose again. Then you have a really good shot at 3 SEC teams in the playoff at this point. You may have that anyway, just based on strength of schedule.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 10/20/2014 10:13:36 AM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1580
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 11:17:40 AM   
Ian Joseph

I doubt we get more than two SEC teams in the playoffs. Unless the winner of Ole Miss Miss St wins out, only one SEC team will have one loss ; the rest will have two. No way more than one of them gets in over a one loss Pacific 12 champ, Big 10 champ, Big 12 champ, or even Notre Dame

Believe.
Post #: 1581
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 11:20:26 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

I doubt we get more than two SEC teams in the playoffs. Unless the winner of Ole Miss Miss St wins out, only one SEC team will have one loss ; the rest will have two. No way more than one of them gets in over a one loss Pacific 12 champ, Big 10 champ, Big 12 champ, or even Notre Dame

That's the point though. Good chance Oregon loses again. MSU, not as much, but if they do, I think it happens. Because I doubt anyone else in the Pac12 is going to end up with 1 loss and I doubt anyone else in the Big12 is going to end up with 1 loss. Notre Dame might, but obviously 3 SEC teams are going to be deserving over Notre Dame. 3 two-loss (or less) SEC teams will be more deserving than 2-loss teams from the Pac12/Big12/Big10/ACC, as well as a 1-loss ND squad.

Should be interesting to see it shake out.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1582
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 11:20:51 AM   
Ian Joseph

I expect (for now) to see the following teams in the playoffs.

FSU
Oregon
Miss St
TCU

Notre Dame goes if they win out, though I think USC may get them.

Believe.
Post #: 1583
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 11:22:36 AM   
djskillz

quote:

FSU
Oregon
Miss St
TCU

I can't see any way that TCU makes it over a 1 or even 2 loss SEC team.

If I had to bet right now, I'd bet on:

FSU
Michigan State
Alabama (schedule/home games)
Ole Miss or Georgia (schedule/home games)

Post #: 1584
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 11:24:37 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

That's the point though. Good chance Oregon loses again. MSU, not as much, but if they do, I think it happens. Because I doubt anyone else in the Pac12 is going to end up with 1 loss and I doubt anyone else in the Big12 is going to end up with 1 loss. Notre Dame might, but obviously 3 SEC teams are going to be deserving over Notre Dame. 3 two-loss (or less) SEC teams will be more deserving than 2-loss teams from the Pac12/Big12/Big10/ACC, as well as a 1-loss ND squad.

Should be interesting to see it shake out.

Deserving doesn't matter in college football. While I tend to think the SEC is overrated, even when the conference is legitimately good, a one loss Notre Dame sells tickets and advertising far better than any second SEC team would. Believe the cash cow is getting invited if it's at all reasonable.

Believe.
Post #: 1585
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 11:30:42 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

FSU
Oregon
Miss St
TCU

I can't see any way that TCU makes it over a 1 or even 2 loss SEC team.

If I had to bet right now, I'd bet on:

FSU
Michigan State
Alabama (schedule/home games)
Ole Miss or Georgia (schedule/home games)

If TCU wins out, they're going. Already ranked 10, they will jump every two loss team, regardless of conference.

Michigan State has a shot, but it's gift and curse may be Oregon. If Oregon wins out, they will get the nod over a one loss MSU team. And if they don't, their win over MSU will hold the Spartans back.

The SEC winner is in. The SEC runner up has a chance, more so if they're a one loss team. Any team that doesn't play for the conference title is not going, though the debate to add teams to the party will commence off their would be snub.

Believe.
Post #: 1586
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 11:31:23 AM   
djskillz

I don't know. I really find it hard to believe we won't see at least 2 SEC teams in. 3 is a real possibility depending on what happens with ND/Oregon/Michigan State from here out.

I do love how everyone is now saying Notre Dame is really good. I don't agree. I think it further illuminates how ordinary FSU has been this year. ND just gave up 43 points to North Carolina! I honestly think ND is not even a top 10 team in the country. Could easily see them losing to ASU or USC (both road games). Home field is massive.

Post #: 1587
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:12:52 PM   
McMurfy

Here is Mississippi States out of conference schedule

Southern Miss
UAB
South Alabama
UT Martin
Then they play 8 conference games

Oregon plays Michigan State and 9 conference PAC 12 games.

If Oregon loses again, and that is a big if, I will blame that on playing a real schedule.

One of Miss States signature wins was over a Top 10 Texas A&M team.

Top 10!

What a joke.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1588
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:14:51 PM   
McMurfy

I too question Alabama when they win by 1 over an Arkansas team that has won no conference games in 2013 and 2014.

To Dustin and the SEC honks, it's just a quality SEC win.

Post #: 1589
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:19:15 PM   
djskillz

Murf, ya, those are their out of conference games, but their in-conference games are:

@LSU
vs. Texas A&M (they're not top 10 but they're still very good)
vs. Auburn
@Kentucky
vs. Arkansas
@Alabama
vs. Vanderbilt (weak)
@Ole Miss

That is a BRUTAL overall schedule. They face 4 of what are probably top 10 or so teams in the country, plus Texas A&M, Kentucky, and Arkansas, all of which are tough teams. If they make it through that schedule unscathed, they are definitely the top team in the country. But I don't see any way they beat both Alabama and Ole Miss on the road. That'd be impressive as hell.

Post #: 1590
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:25:56 PM   
ronhextall

I like the idea that picking the top 4 teams will cause a lot of controversy. I think it will move to 8 teams sooner if some people think they are getting hosed. 16 teams would be perfect but I doubt it gets that big, of course if people quit watching meaninglessness bowl games who knows.
Post #: 1591
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:42:44 PM   
Steve Lentz

Ohio State will give Michigan State all they want. That will be a heck of a game.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1592
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:45:15 PM   
Andy Lowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Ohio State will give Michigan State all they want. That will be a heck of a game.

Yep. The Freshman is comfy now

Our talent is as deep as any team in the country
Post #: 1593
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:45:23 PM   
djskillz

quote:

It will. But if any Big10 team makes the playoff this year it's a travesty.

Ron, that's exactly why I almost HOPE the SEC has 3 teams. Because everyone else will go nuts and we'll get a 8 team playoff or even 16 team playoff sooner rather than later.

Of course then it's going to end up being 4-5 SEC teams (8 team) or 7-8 SEC teams (16 teams).

Post #: 1594
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:45:27 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

Murf, ya, those are their out of conference games, but their in-conference games are:

@LSU
vs. Texas A&M (they're not top 10 but they're still very good)
vs. Auburn
@Kentucky
vs. Arkansas
@Alabama
vs. Vanderbilt (weak)
@Ole Miss

That is a BRUTAL overall schedule. They face 4 of what are probably top 10 or so teams in the country, plus Texas A&M, Kentucky, and Arkansas, all of which are tough teams. If they make it through that schedule unscathed, they are definitely the top team in the country. But I don't see any way they beat both Alabama and Ole Miss on the road. That'd be impressive as hell.

They won't and that is one of my points.
That schedule isn't that brutal if all the teams are not really that good to begin with and overrated a la
Texas A&M and LSU for now.
Maybe OLe Miss and Auburn later.
Kentucky, Vandy, and Arkansas are weak in any conference.

Post #: 1595
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:47:00 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

Ron, that's exactly why I almost HOPE the SEC has 3 teams. Because everyone else will go nuts and we'll get a 8 team playoff or even 16 team playoff sooner rather than later.

Of course then it's going to end up being 4-5 SEC teams (8 team) or 7-8 SEC teams (16 teams).

No wonder you make a good Republican.
You are easily duped.

Post #: 1596
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:47:04 PM   
John Childress

quote:

I don't know. I really find it hard to believe we won't see at least 2 SEC teams in. 3 is a real possibility depending on what happens with ND/Oregon/Michigan State from here out.

I do love how everyone is now saying Notre Dame is really good. I don't agree. I think it further illuminates how ordinary FSU has been this year. ND just gave up 43 points to North Carolina! I honestly think ND is not even a top 10 team in the country. Could easily see them losing to ASU or USC (both road games). Home field is massive.

People hate FSU but the bottom line is they are the undefeated national champs who have not lost in 2 years

cupcake schedule

Possibly

But until they lose they will be in the national title game

period

And if they win that game they are legit back to back champs

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 1597
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:48:15 PM   
djskillz

Disagree, Murf. I think if you put Arkansas or Kentucky in the Big10, for example, and they're immediate contenders. I think A&M and LSU would both win the Big10 and be 2nd in the ACC.

Post #: 1598
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:48:26 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

quote:

People hate FSU but the bottom line is they are the undefeated national champs who have not lost in 2 years

cupcake schedule

Possibly

But until they lose they will be in the national title game

period

And if they win that game they are legit back to back champs

Yep, I'm ok with that for all the reasons you mentioned.

Post #: 1599
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 12:49:05 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

quote:

No wonder you make a good Republican.
You are easily duped.

Post #: 1600
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode