Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 4:11:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Disagree, Murf. I think if you put Arkansas or Kentucky in the Big10, for example, and they're immediate contenders. I think A&M and LSU would both win the Big10 and be 2nd in the ACC.

The Big 10 is a mess, I'm not vouching for them.
You're arguing apples/oranges now

The Big 10 is a joke? Maryland just beat Iowa....there is a lot of depth there....many are too focused on Michigan and Penn State (those two are down).

I think Nebraska, Michigan State, and Ohio State can hang in there with any team and are ranked in the top 15 teams. MN just faced supposedly one of the worst teams in the Big 10, Purdue, which changed QB's and have a ton of speed and could give most teams trouble.....including Michigan State the week before.

I root for the Big10 more than any other conference. And I do think it's deep....deeply bad. Bielema's tenure at Wisconsin/Arkansas tells you all you need to know.

I just looked at your last few posts...don't imbelish that you root for the Big 10, judas---Mr. SEC--just admit it...LOL

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1626
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 4:16:36 PM   
djskillz

Not sure what those hirings have to do with anything. The point is he can win no problem at Wisconsin and can't win a single conference game (0-16) in the SEC.

And I AM a Big10 fan and if anything dislike the SEC. My two favorite teams are Michigan and Minnesota. But there's a major difference between liking a conference and having respect for its success. I don't "like" the Spurs; used to hate them in fact. But there's no denying they're the best organization in basketball.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1627
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 4:21:00 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Not sure what those hirings have to do with anything. The point is he can win no problem at Wisconsin and can't win a single conference game (0-16) in the SEC.

And I AM a Big10 fan and if anything dislike the SEC. But there's a major difference between liking a conference and having respect for its success. I don't "like" the Spurs; used to hate them in fact. But there's no denying they're the best organization in basketball.

Pretty simple...a coach doesn't really have his players until his 3rd year...did the previous coach recruit any studs? How was Arkansas recruiting class the last 2 years?

I know it took 2 years of recruiting and then in the 3rd year Kill's program and recruiting has started to work for MN but he has had the same coaching staff every where he has been....Wisconsin wouldn't pay Bielema's coordinators and that is why he left for Arkansas---now he lost a couple other coordinators at Arkansas.

Brewster (the previous MN coach) couldn't keep a coordinator on either side of the ball and the system changed every year....doesn't work too well in Major College Football.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/20/2014 4:22:59 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1628
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/20/2014 4:39:05 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

Let me make one thing very clear.
I'm not arguing that team #1 or even team #2 in the SEC aren't very good teams.
What I'm arguing is that teams#3-8 in the SEC are nowhere near as good as they are made out to be.

I think the ideal playoff this year is

A one loss or undefeated SEC team.
A one loss or undefeated Florida State
A one loss PAC-12 team
A one loss Big 10 team or 1 loss Notre Dame
The only way I see a second SEC team is if the above doesn't happen.

Maybe Murf but:

1) I find it hard to believe the above doesn't happen. I think ND will lose. And I think at least one of MSU/Oregon will lose. No one else from either conference is deserving, 1 loss or not.

2) Let's take the #3-5. Do you think Alabama/Auburn/Georgia are considerably worse than OleMiss/MissSt? Because I think all 5 are all but equals. So if you think #1 and 2 are great, the same holds for 3-5 IMO.

I'm talking by the end of the season, the whole point of this is playoff consideration, ie the end of the regular season.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1629
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/25/2014 10:56:34 PM   
Ian Joseph

Dustin, your multiple SEC teams in the playoffs just took a serious hit. Ole Miss losing to a down LSU team hurts the conference's chances for two teams. The only hope for two SEC teams is for a one loss Georgia team to beat MSU in the SEC Championship game.

No two-loss team is going unless all of the non-undefeated top teams in the nation have two losses, which is highly doubtful.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1630
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 8:39:49 AM   
John Childress

LSU should have beaten them by more. They blew 2 prime scoring chances in the 1st quarter alone

I think the SEC teams are overrated because most of them have mediocre QBs

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 1631
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:10:17 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Dustin, your multiple SEC teams in the playoffs just took a serious hit. Ole Miss losing to a down LSU team hurts the conference's chances for two teams. The only hope for two SEC teams is for a one loss Georgia team to beat MSU in the SEC Championship game.

No two-loss team is going unless all of the non-undefeated top teams in the nation have two losses, which is highly doubtful.

Not really, Ian. I actually expected Ole Miss to lose. LSU is getting a lot better and they almost never lose a night game in Baton Rouge. They'll probably be a top 10-15 team by the end of the year. I think the two teams in could easily be Alabama and Miss St or Georgia, for example. And I do think a 2 loss team from the SEC is deserving. Most likely scenario is the SEC title game winner and the "#3" team from the conference that doesn't have to play that game. The SEC will have at least 2 teams in, if not 3 IMO. The only team in the Pac12 that is deserving is Oregon, who could easily lose again (2 losses). MSU will probably win out, but if they don't? Watch out. No one in the Big12 is probably going to have just 1 loss. And the ACC isn't really a conference at this point either besides FSU.

Also, this is spot on:

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Chris-Fowler-lays-into-proponents-of-ESPNs-SEC-bias-32322196

< Message edited by djskillz -- 10/26/2014 11:11:57 AM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1632
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:14:18 AM   
Andy Lowe

The look on Freezes face was priceless. It was clear Treadwell was clearing out and Wallace was suppose to throw the short out for an extra 10 yards

But instead Ole Miss got Bo'd
Post #: 1633
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:16:56 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Lowe

The look on Freezes face was priceless. It was clear Treadwell was clearing out and Wallace was suppose to throw the short out for an extra 10 yards

But instead Ole Miss got Bo'd

Yep. Bo is very hit or miss. I think Hugh Freeze is an amazing guy and I root for him as a coach but you had to figure the Ole Miss streak would come to an end eventually just due to a bad game or two by Bo. Their defense is probably the best in the country though. I still think Alabama is probably the best team.

Post #: 1634
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:28:23 AM   
djskillz

The big remaining games of the 1 loss or less teams with any real shot seem to be these:

Miss St: Arkansas, @ALA, @Ole Miss, potential SEC title game
Ole Miss: Auburn, @Arkansas, Miss St, potential SEC title game
Alabama: @LSU, Miss St, Auburn, potential SEC title game
Auburn: @Ole Miss, @Georgia, @Alabama, potential SEC title game
Georgia: @Kentucky, Auburn, GT, potential SEC title game
FSU: all cupcakes. If they lose with that schedule, they're out
Oregon: Stanford, @Utah, @Oregon St
ND: @ASU, @USC
MSU: @OSU
TCU: @WVU, KSU, @Texas
KSU: @TCU, @WVU, @Baylor
Baylor: @Oklahoma, vs. KSU

Post #: 1635
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:31:27 AM   
McMurfy

You left out a Possible Pac-12 championship game for Oregon.

Post #: 1636
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:34:10 AM   
djskillz

quote:

Yep. Just noticed that Murf, good catch. Lots of chances for losses for all of these teams, with the exception of FSU, who has one of the easiest schedules ever.

Post #: 1637
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:38:02 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

Yep. Just noticed that Murf, good catch. Lots of chances for losses for all of these teams, with the exception of FSU, who has one of the easiest schedules ever.

I think Florida State may have a bit of trouble.
All games they Should win, but who knows.

Thursday
Oct. 30 Cardinals at Louisville Cardinals
Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Louisville, KY 7:30 p.m. ET

Saturday
Nov. 8 Cavaliers Virginia Cavaliers (HC)
Doak Campbell Stadium, Tallahassee, FL

Saturday
Nov. 15 Hurricanes at Miami (FL) Hurricanes
Sun Life Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL TBA Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 22 Eagles Boston College Eagles
Doak Campbell Stadium, Tallahassee, FL TBA Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 29 Gators Florida Gators
Tickets
Saturday
Dec. 6 ACC ACC Championship Game
Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC

Post #: 1638
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:38:29 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

Not really, Ian. I actually expected Ole Miss to lose. LSU is getting a lot better and they almost never lose a night game in Baton Rouge. They'll probably be a top 10-15 team by the end of the year. I think the two teams in could easily be Alabama and Miss St or Georgia, for example. And I do think a 2 loss team from the SEC is deserving. Most likely scenario is the SEC title game winner and the "#3" team from the conference that doesn't have to play that game. The SEC will have at least 2 teams in, if not 3 IMO. The only team in the Pac12 that is deserving is Oregon, who could easily lose again (2 losses). MSU will probably win out, but if they don't? Watch out. No one in the Big12 is probably going to have just 1 loss. And the ACC isn't really a conference at this point either besides FSU.

Also, this is spot on:

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Chris-Fowler-lays-into-proponents-of-ESPNs-SEC-bias-32322196

I maintain the position that a two-loss team is not going unless there aren't any one loss teams. And I don't see every one loss team losing again. TCU wont lose again and that 82 spot they just put up wont make any enemies. I don't expect FSU to lose at all. I don't expect Oregon to lose again. I don't expect Michigan State to lose again either.

Now, a one loss SEC will get in over any other one loss team; but its a tough sell on a two loss college football team jumping any of them - and you know that, regardless of the conference schedule or opponents.

Believe.
Post #: 1639
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:42:06 AM   
John Childress

quote:

quote:

quote:

Also, this is spot on:

I maintain the position that a two-loss team is not going unless there aren't any one loss teams. And I don't see every one loss team losing again. TCU wont lose again and that 82 spot they just put up wont make any enemies. I don't expect FSU to lose at all. I don't expect Oregon to lose again. I don't expect Michigan State to lose again either.

Now, a one loss SEC will get in over any other one loss team; but its a tough sell on a two loss college football team jumping any of them - and you know that, regardless of the conference schedule or opponents.

BINGO!

Post #: 1640
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 11:51:55 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Also, this is spot on:

quote:

Nov. 29 Gators Florida Gators

I hear ya, Ian. But I think just about all of those will lose again. I think ND loses again, I think Oregon likely loses again (sorry Murf), I think all those Big12 teams lose again, and I think pretty much all of the SEC teams lose again with those schedules. So I think it could easily be FSU (undefeated), MSU (1 loss, though still undeserving IMO), and a whole lot of teams with 2 losses. I also would not be shocked at all if OSU beats MSU next weekend. If that happens, certainly a shot for 3 SEC teams.

Post #: 1641
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 12:03:36 PM   
McMurfy

I think Michigan State wins out, they are a pretty complete football team, not sure if they are championship quality, but they are pretty complete.
I like to think Oregon wins out, but who knows, the defense needs to step it up.

Post #: 1642
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/26/2014 12:53:57 PM   
McMurfy

Texas A&M just backed out of a Home and Home series against Oregon originally signed for 2018/2019.

Look at the non-conference gauntlet they have had.

2014: Lamar, Rice, SMU, UL-Monroe
2013: Rice, Sam Houston State, SMU, UTEP
2012: SMU, South Carolina State, La-Tech, Sam Houston State

AND they were forced to play them all at home

Post #: 1643
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/30/2014 10:10:37 PM   
John Childress

F S U

Wow!

Post #: 1644
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/30/2014 10:44:45 PM   
Andy Lowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

F S U

Wow!

Anyone is insane if they wouldn't take Winston

He is as good of a prospect as Luck
Post #: 1645
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/30/2014 10:49:22 PM   
John Childress

At some point you have to give up for his play on the field

21-0

Post #: 1646
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/30/2014 11:22:57 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Lowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

F S U

Wow!

Anyone is insane if they wouldn't take Winston

He is as good of a prospect as Luck

Anyone saying that is insane.
Post #: 1647
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/31/2014 8:16:49 AM   
Ian Joseph

Jameis is a helluva player, but he has way too much baggage to be considered as good of a prospect as Luck. While physical gifts are one thing, being a prospect is about the whole package; when you think quarterback prospect, you have to ask yourself, "what is this guy's prospect to be an NFL starter? A franchise quarterback? A HOF quarterback? The best to ever play the position?

Physically, Jameis has a chance at each of those four questions, though obviously, the chance is smaller and smaller as you answer each question. But, becuz he makes a lot of dumbass off-field decisions, whether it be becuz of bravado, sense of entitlement, or stupidity, that diminishes his shine some becuz the factors of maturity and trust are forefront. He has to grow up AND show he's growing up for teams to trust him enough to put him in the position to be any of those four aforementioned things.

So, while he's physically as good as Luck, at this stage of his college career, he isn't close to being as good of a prospect as Luck.

Believe.
Post #: 1648
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/31/2014 8:31:36 AM   
John Childress

Cam did a lot of dumb shit in college and has been no problem in the NFL

I agree with Ian that his baggage reduces his desirability as the face of your franchise. You need to know he has matured - and that is ASSuming the rape allegations are false. If they are true, I don't want him no matter what he can do on the field.

Now, assuming he is innocent of rape, can he mature and stop doing all the other dumb shit?

If he can, you have a top QB prospect who can do anything on the field AND is a real winner.

On the field, he is a BETTER prospect than Luck. He can throw the ball just as well but his clutch performances are incredible. How many Div 1 Qbs were ever 21-0?

Not a lot

Post #: 1649
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/31/2014 9:00:14 AM   
Ian Joseph

I like Luck more than him on the NCAA field, but ONLY becuz of how dangerous Luck was in college with his legs. Their other on-field intangibles are even to me.

Believe.
Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode