Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/4/2012 5:33:01 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

1 Peyton Manning DEN 81.1
2 Tom Brady NE 79.6
3 Matt Ryan ATL 73.9
4 Robert Griffin III WSH 73.6
5 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 71.8
6 Andrew Luck IND 71.6
7 Alex Smith SF 69.8
8 Aaron Rodgers GB 69.8
9 Eli Manning NYG 69.1
10 Matt Schaub HOU 65.8

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

11 Russell Wilson, SEA 65.3

27 Christian Ponder, MIN 41.6

Very close to Luck, Griffin, and Wilson!

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 126
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/9/2012 9:55:15 AM   
SoMnFan

We've got spirit, how 'bout you? Connor Barwin and Antonio Smith model their new swag. (HoustonTexans.com)

All Texans players will wear the jackets on their trip to Foxboro, Mass., as the Texans face the Patriots on Monday Night Football. The 11-1 Texans may the the best team in the AFC (and perhaps in the NFL), but they're still looking for any motivational edge they can get as they prepare to deal with the 9-3 Pats on national television.

Love the idea.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 127
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 and 2013 - 12/11/2012 1:18:54 PM   
Lynn G.

Tagliabue overturns the Saints suspensions:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/nfl/182987871.html

quote:

NEW ORLEANS - Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue overturned the suspensions of four current and former New Orleans Saints players in the league's bounty investigation of the club.

Tagliabue, however, found that three of the players engaged in conduct detrimental to the league. He said they participated in a performance pool that rewarded key plays — including hard tackles — that could merit fines. But he stressed that the team's coaches were very much involved.

"Unlike Saints' broad organizational misconduct, player appeals involve sharply focused issues of alleged individual player misconduct in several different aspects," said a portion of ruling released by the NFL. "My affirmation of Commissioner Goodell's findings could certainly justify the issuance of fines. However, this entire case has been contaminated by the coaches and others in the Saints' organization."

< Message edited by Lynn G. -- 12/11/2012 1:20:15 PM >
Post #: 128
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/11/2012 1:29:17 PM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

We've got spirit, how 'bout you? Connor Barwin and Antonio Smith model their new swag. (HoustonTexans.com)

All Texans players will wear the jackets on their trip to Foxboro, Mass., as the Texans face the Patriots on Monday Night Football. The 11-1 Texans may the the best team in the AFC (and perhaps in the NFL), but they're still looking for any motivational edge they can get as they prepare to deal with the 9-3 Pats on national television.

Love the idea.

The results; not so much.

Was hoping they might not have much to play for. Instead, their game against us will have playoff positing implications. No way do they want to go to Foxboro.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 129
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/13/2012 9:26:42 AM   
SoMnFan

Cannot believe the statements the NFL is allowing Brees to make .... Without punishment.
If Goodell and co were really as tyrannical as he keeps whining about .....
He'd be out of the league, or worse.
Not sure I've ever wanted the hammer lowered more on someone.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 130
RGIII attacked by a Black man for marrying outside of h... - 12/14/2012 8:21:19 AM   
John Childress

You would think we still were in 1962 instead of 2012

Some talking head jackass goes after Griffin because his finacee is White!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/rob-parker-robert-griffin-race-first-take_n_2295726.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Post #: 131
RE: RGIII attacked by a Black man for marrying outside ... - 12/14/2012 9:52:36 AM   
Todd M

Wow.

"For me, you don't ever want to be defined by the color of your skin,'' Griffin said on Wednesday, via Tom Corbett of USA Today Sports. "You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person that you are, your character, your personality. That's what I've tried to go out and do."

How can you not just love this guy? Redo I'd sell all out for him and it would be an easy choice over even Luck.
Post #: 132
RE: RGIII attacked by a Black man for marrying outside ... - 12/14/2012 10:36:15 AM   
David Levine

That's one of the reasons I wanted to draft him. The kid transcends football. Yes, he's an amazing athlete and he throws the ball better than 90% of the QBs in the game. But he's also a true leader, he's so bright, he's introspective, he's absolutely magnetic when he speaks. He just gets it.

He's the rare player that transforms a franchise. I'm not a Redskins fan in the least, but I pull for him. I want him to win games (except against us).

-----------

ASHBURN, Va. -- Robert Griffin III has always seen the entire field with his beyond-his-years clarity.

That aplomb was evident again Wednesday when the charismatic Redskins rookie refused to be defined by race in answering three questions relating to the topic at the end of his news conference.

Griffin acknowledged his appreciation for black Washington Redskins fans proud of his transformative debut season -- and noted how he hopes to erase lingering stereotypes concerning African-American quarterbacks.

"For me, you don't ever want to be defined by the color of your skin,'' Griffin said at the end of Wednesday's post-practice news conference in reference to a question about Martin Luther King, Jr. "You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person that you are, your character, your personality. That's what I've tried to go out and do.

"I am an African-American in America. That will never change. But I don't have to be defined by that.''

The league's highest-rated passer, who has led the 7-6 Redskins into postseason contention with 10 of his 18 touchdowns thrown during a four-game win streak, said he is aware of why so many black Redskins fans take reflected pride in his success.

"I am aware how much race is relevant to them,'' RGIII said. "I don't ignore it. I try not to be defined by it. But I understand different persectives and how people view different things. I understand that they're excited that their quarterback is an African-American. I play with a lot of pride, a lot of character, a lot of heart. I understand that. I appreciate them for being fans and not just fans because they're African-Americans.''

Lastly, Griffin, who has insisted since the February scouting combine that he is a throw-first quarterback. was asked about analysts who have persisted in putting him inside a box by comparing him mainly with other dual-threat African-American quarterbacks.

Griffin insists he wants to be judged as a quarterback. Period.

"We always try to find similarities in life, no matter what it is so they're always going to try to put you in a box with other African-American quarterbacks -- (Michael) Vick, (Cam) Newton, Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon,'' Griffin said. "Warren Moon and Doug Williams really didn't run that much. That's the negative stereotype when it comes to African-American quarterbacks, that most of us just run. Those guys threw it around. I like to think I can throw it around a little bit.

"That's the goal. Just to go out and not try to prove anybody wrong but just let your talents speak for themselves.''
Post #: 133
RE: RGIII attacked by a Black man for marrying outside ... - 12/14/2012 10:59:22 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

That's one of the reasons I wanted to draft him. The kid transcends football. Yes, he's an amazing athlete and he throws the ball better than 90% of the QBs in the game. But he's also a true leader, he's so bright, he's introspective, he's absolutely magnetic when he speaks. He just gets it.

He's the rare player that transforms a franchise. I'm not a Redskins fan in the least, but I pull for him. I want him to win games (except against us).

Good stuff DL
Post #: 134
RE: RGIII attacked by a Black man for marrying outside ... - 12/17/2012 7:22:06 AM   
John Childress

A key thing for him is that he has so much more inner peace than McNabb who so sensitive. McNabb, when he was young, would refuse to run - even if a clear 1st down was there - because he didn't want to be stereotyped as a Black running QB.

I think Griffin is secure enough to run when there is an opening without worrying about others.

Post #: 135
Demise of Cam Newton premature - 12/17/2012 12:21:16 PM   
John Childress

A few weeks ago people were talking about Cam and the sophomore jinx

Well he now has over 4,000 yards of total offense 25TDs to 11 turnovers

13 TDs with no picks in his last 5 games

Looks like he has found his groove again

Post #: 136
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/17/2012 2:13:06 PM   
John Childress

Rookie of the Year

It is ridiculoust that Luck is even in the conversation with Griffin and Wilson

Griffin - 66.4% completion, 2,902 passing yards, 18 passing TDs, 4 INTs, 104.2 rating, 748 rushing yards, 6 rushing TDs
Wilson - 62.9% completion, 2,697 passing yards, 21 passing TDs, 9 INTs, 95.5 rating, 402 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs
Luck - 54.6% completion, 3,978 passing yards, 20 passing TDs, 18 INTs, 75.5 rating, 233 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs

Post #: 137
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/17/2012 2:26:12 PM   
Todd M

You're right.

They ought to be playing it up like it is. RGIII is rookie of a generation so he clearly gets the nod. Throw Wilson a few bones so he comes in 2nd as deserved. But Luck? Forget about it.
Post #: 138
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/17/2012 2:55:25 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Rookie of the Year

Griffin - 66.4% completion, 2,902 passing yards, 18 passing TDs, 4 INTs, 104.2 rating, 748 rushing yards, 6 rushing TDs
Wilson - 62.9% completion, 2,697 passing yards, 21 passing TDs, 9 INTs, 95.5 rating, 402 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs
Luck - 54.6% completion, 3,978 passing yards, 20 passing TDs, 18 INTs, 75.5 rating, 233 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs

There's more to it than just numbers.

Luck has led several fourth quarter comebacks. 

I would agree that Griffin and Wilson deserve the award more...but to say Luck shouldn't even be in the conversation is outrageous. 

All three have done wonders...taken some of the NFLs worst teams and made them all contenders in one season. 

Luck will get more votes than he should...Griffin will be hurt by missing some games.  I think RGIII is the best of the trio but he may not end up winning it.

I would like to add that I would take any one of them and fellow rookie Ryan Tannehill over what we've got right now.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 139
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/17/2012 4:04:42 PM   
John Childress

Luck also caused his team to be trailing in many of those games by throwing multiple picks in the 1st half

Luck has 9 INTs in the 2nd quarter alone this year - as many as Wilson has in all quarters and twice as much as RGIII has in all quarters

Post #: 140
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/17/2012 8:36:11 PM   
JT2

quote:

Luck also caused his team to be trailing in many of those games by throwing multiple picks in the 1st half

Luck has 9 INTs in the 2nd quarter alone this year - as many as Wilson has in all quarters and twice as much as RGIII has in all quarters

Shouldn't be close between Griffin and Luck. I don't get too worked up about awards because the people with votes often times are idiots, uninformed and/or have an agenda.

Luck is going to be great, but Griffin has been better than him in every possible way.

Mike and Kyle Shanahan have done a great job with that offense. A lot of coaches don't have the balls to adjust the entire offense to better suit the needs of your best player.

They got their QB(s) and now they just have to fill in some other pieces. They haven't been very fortunate health-wise either. They played all but one game without their two best defensive players. Garcon played half a season, as did their best TE.

They had to start Madieu Williams at Safety.
Post #: 141
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/17/2012 8:38:26 PM   
John Childress

They had to start Madieu Williams at Safety.

Worth repeating

OUCH!

Post #: 142
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/18/2012 12:24:01 AM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Rookie of the Year

I would agree that Griffin and Wilson deserve the award more...but to say Luck shouldn't even be in the conversation is outrageous. 

All three have done wonders...taken some of the NFLs worst teams and made them all contenders in one season. 

Luck will get more votes than he should...Griffin will be hurt by missing some games.  I think RGIII is the best of the trio but he may not end up winning it.

I would like to add that I would take any one of them and fellow rookie Ryan Tannehill over what we've got right now.

RGIII and Wilson both have the benefit of elite running backs. Marshawn Lynch and Alfred Morris are behind only Adrian Peterson in rushing yards. If either of them had to pass as much as Luck does, they would likely have similar stats.

Luck is definitely in the conversation, I'm not saying he should win (I would go RGIII, Luck, then Wilson) it but the turnaround he's made with that team is pretty impressive.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 143
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/18/2012 1:03:02 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Rookie of the Year

RGIII and Wilson both have the benefit of elite running backs. Marshawn Lynch and Alfred Morris are behind only Adrian Peterson in rushing yards. If either of them had to pass as much as Luck does, they would likely have similar stats.

Luck is definitely in the conversation, I'm not saying he should win (I would go RGIII, Luck, then Wilson) it but the turnaround he's made with that team is pretty impressive.

There is no doubt that Luck is a stud QB, a leader, a franchise QB. And it benefits him greatly that he has to throw the ball. His Int's will be reduced each year, and hopefully he gets to enjoy the great benefit of a strong run game.

This year, this rookie year, Griffin is fantastic, better than the rest.

I think Luck and Griffin will be competing for the best QB in the league for many years to come. This year, Griffin is better.
Post #: 144
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/18/2012 9:09:50 PM   
Steve Lentz

It wasn't too long ago I would read in here how good Sanchez and Flacco were.
I would also read how overrated Brady and Manning were.

We are watching a couple of the greatest QB's to ever play in Brady and P Manning.
Like them or not they are the best of the best.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 145
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/19/2012 7:57:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

It wasn't too long ago I would read in here how good Sanchez and Flacco were.
I would also read how overrated Brady and Manning were.

We are watching a couple of the greatest QB's to ever play in Brady and P Manning.
Like them or not they are the best of the best.

Brady has led his team to five superbowls winning three.
Peyton Manning has two SBs winning one.  Manning took over the leagues laughing stock in 1998 and outside of his first season, led them to the playoffs every year after that.  His little brother isn't half bad either. 

I would never in a million years call them overrated. 

I would never have said Sanchez was that good...but Flacco was for a while...just took a big step backwards this year.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 146
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/19/2012 8:15:53 AM   
John Childress

Brady - I said all throughout the last decade he was the best QB in football. However, even with the gaudy stats he has put up, he has not been the same clutch player after 2007. There are games when he looks like that but then there are inexplicable losses with lots of picks from him.

P Manning - perhaps the greatest regular season QB of all time. But his playoff record is very underwhelming. He is no Joe Montana. And I am not buying he didn't have the talent around him because he won 12-14 games every regular season. This year Manning looks like he is on a mission to get that 2nd ring. We will see.

Sanchez - he was a good game manager his first 2 years. 9 TDs to 3 INTs in the playoffs is a very good performance. He was not Dilfer - he made plays. However, he is limited in arm strength and quickness and the league learned how to play him. At the same time, the Jets lost a lot of talent in the last 3 years.

Flacco - a lot like Sanchez but a little better. He seems like Kosar in that his team is snake bitten in the playoffs. Def should have beaten New England. Now his confidence is shot and the Ravens defense is a shell of its former self.

Luck - he is the new P Manning. He is a very good QB. I also like how they let him throw picks and don't yank him for that. I prefer to let young QBs play through their mistakes AS LONG AS they are learning and improving.

Griffin - he throws as well as Luck but obviously adds the running dimension. he is very cool under pressure and is perhaps the most accurate passer of the young guys. However, they have to change the offense and stop running the option before he gets broken up for real.

Wilson - the poor man's Joe Montana or perhaps he is the new Drew Brees. Nerves of steel and really picked up the game quickly.

Newton - one of the most physically talented QBs to come along in some time. He can do everything on the field, like Griffin, but has size. His question mark will be his mental toughness after the incidents reported/alleged this year. Funny everyone is talking about sophomore jinx but look at his numbers - and they do not have much offensive talent either.

Kaepernick - for some reason, I don't like this guy but every time I post that he reels off several impressive plays. Reminds me of a Romo type feast or famine QB but I can't argue with his results.

Post #: 147
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/19/2012 8:23:56 AM   
John Childress

Here is some backup for those observations

Tom Brady has 11 INTs in his last 7 playoff games. He had the one 6 TD game where he destroyed Denver. But the other 6 games he is 9 TDs 10 INTs

P Manning has a 95.5 career passer rating. In the playoffs it drops to 88.4. Even more telling are some of the losses
0 TDs 2 INTs loss to Jets
4 INT loss to Patriots in 04
Only 1 TD pass in losses to Bears, Chargers, Saints, Jets

Sanchez has a 94.3 passer rating in the playoffs
1 game in 6 did he have more picks than TDs

Post #: 148
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/19/2012 9:07:37 AM   
Steve Lentz

Sanchez did have a good 3 game playoff run a few years back.
Lifetime he has 68 touchdowns to 68 interceptions. He is getting worse as his career goes on.
He is at best a very mediocre QB and shouldn't be in the conversaion with any of the good to great ones.

Luck and Griffin are once in a decade QB's that will both have outstanding careers. I was all over Griffin as a Big 12 fan before most knew who he was. My only concern is if he can stay healthy.

Wilson is a classy, smart, and very effectve QB. He showed how good he was at Wisconsin and looks like he is more than ready to succeed in the NFL.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 12/19/2012 6:10:38 PM >

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 149
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 12/19/2012 9:34:10 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Sanchez did have a good 3 game playoff run a few years back.
Lifetime he has 68 touchdowns to 68 interceptions. He is getting worse as his career goes on.
He is at best a very mediocre QB and shouldn't be in the conversaion with any of he good to great ones.

Luck and Griffin are once in a decade QB's that will both have oiutstanding careers. I was all over Griffin as a Big 12 fan before most knew who he was. My only concern is if he can stay healthy.

Wilson is a classy, smart, and very effectve QB. He showed how good he was at Wisconsin and looks like he is more than ready to succeed in the NFL.

The knock on Wilson was his size.  He fell to the third round because he's, relatively speaking, short for a QB.  If he were 6'1" he goes top 5 in the draft.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode