Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  418 419 [420] 421 422   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 10:30:00 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Continue to be saddened by the trend of removing all remnants of Indian culture, in the name of doing things right.
My generation grew up WANTING to be Chiefs, Warriors, Braves, or just Indians.
They were symbols of pride and symbols of our sports teams. They highlighted strength, pride, loyalty, bravery, etc.
It made kids want to read about the legends of the Indian nations.
It gave us a different perspective than what we heard adults condemn Indian people for.
So you take away the good feelings and all that is left is the bad imo.
The goofy Chief Wahoo character is a no-brainer of course ... but most of the rest of these currently under attack, are innocent victims of kooks, imo.
Congrats, you've removed the proud and noble symbols. What are you shooting for? One-armed bandits? Alcohol-damaged homeless?
Just plain sad, imo.
And before I get skewered, I DO have a tiny bit of Indian blood in me, and I'm damn proud of it. And wish I had more.

I could not agree more SMF. We were taught as children that these were symbols of leadership, loyalty, devotion, bravery, pride etc, as you mentioned. What has changed about this? Are we suddenly supposed to be ashamed that we are honoring a foregone culture? What about the Vikings logo? Isn't that doing the same thing? I doubt whether norseman of the day had helmets with horns coming out the side but we use that as a logo to symbolize strength, power, bravery, pride, etc. Hmmm, those same words again. What is different about having ethnicity from Europe as opposed to the North America? What about the Fighting Irish logo? What is a Boston Celtic? Sheesh! This shit is ridiculous!

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 10476
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 10:39:51 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

You damn well they are going to milk every last dime of marketing revenue out of the impending demise of their long time mascot in the coming year. Then they will make a killing down the road on retro jerseys.

If the situation is the same as NDU, the selling of retro merchandise would become banned by the Cleveland Indians organization. Of course, they could set up an on-line shop disguising themselves as another private merchandiser and make millions doing so.

Post #: 10477
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 10:55:40 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Continue to be saddened by the trend of removing all remnants of Indian culture, in the name of doing things right.
My generation grew up WANTING to be Chiefs, Warriors, Braves, or just Indians.
They were symbols of pride and symbols of our sports teams. They highlighted strength, pride, loyalty, bravery, etc.
It made kids want to read about the legends of the Indian nations.
It gave us a different perspective than what we heard adults condemn Indian people for.
So you take away the good feelings and all that is left is the bad imo.
The goofy Chief Wahoo character is a no-brainer of course ... but most of the rest of these currently under attack, are innocent victims of kooks, imo.
Congrats, you've removed the proud and noble symbols. What are you shooting for? One-armed bandits? Alcohol-damaged homeless?
Just plain sad, imo.
And before I get skewered, I DO have a tiny bit of Indian blood in me, and I'm damn proud of it. And wish I had more.

Could not agree more. And Wahoo is the key difference. Most sports teams use the terms and imagery with reverence. There is a history and an appreciation involved - often in conjunction with actual Native Americans. Most of the logos and symbology are nothing but respectful.

But Wahoo (and the term "Redskins") are aggressively racist, and there really isn't a place for them.

Is "Chief Wahoo" really any different than using a "Sambo" image?
Post #: 10478
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 10:57:50 AM   
SoMnFan

In one of the slowest MLB off seasons in recent memory, many of the top free agents are still on the market. That includes players like Mike Moustakas, Yu Darvish, J.D. Martinez, and Eric Hosmer. Seriously. None of them have signed.
However, things might be picking up steam soon. It was announced Monday night that the Kansas City Royals ​traded first baseman Brandon Moss, along with LHP Ryan Butcher to Oakland for starter Jesse Hahn and a minor leaguer.
It might not seem like a big deal, but this trade is certainly about more than just the players involved. This is as oblique a way as possible for the Royals to clear space so they can sign Eric Hosmer.
Hosmer's asking price, with ​agent Scott Boras in his corner, is astronomical. He might be worth it, though, coming off a career year in which he batted .318 with 25 home runs.
He's especially worth it to his home in KC above any other team. So why wouldn't they make any maneuver possible to retain him? Most importantly, this is the year that Moss' contract truly kicks in in earnest; in 2017, he only cost $3.75 million, but that escalates all the way to $7.25 million this upcoming season. That's more than a minor chunk of cash, which is now clear in the name of retaining the face of the franchise.
Even ​Padres fans have to admit: it's looking more likely than not that his team re-signs him. It's possible, and even widely considered probable, that they had the largest offer on the table prior to clearing in excess of $7 million.
It's a little bit of connecting the dots, but the Royals most recent trade definitely has to do with Hosmer. It just has to.
Post #: 10479
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 11:00:26 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

In one of the slowest MLB off seasons in recent memory, many of the top free agents are still on the market. That includes players like Mike Moustakas, Yu Darvish, J.D. Martinez, and Eric Hosmer. Seriously. None of them have signed.
However, things might be picking up steam soon. It was announced Monday night that the Kansas City Royals ​traded first baseman Brandon Moss, along with LHP Ryan Butcher to Oakland for starter Jesse Hahn and a minor leaguer.
It might not seem like a big deal, but this trade is certainly about more than just the players involved. This is as oblique a way as possible for the Royals to clear space so they can sign Eric Hosmer.
Hosmer's asking price, with ​agent Scott Boras in his corner, is astronomical. He might be worth it, though, coming off a career year in which he batted .318 with 25 home runs.
He's especially worth it to his home in KC above any other team. So why wouldn't they make any maneuver possible to retain him? Most importantly, this is the year that Moss' contract truly kicks in in earnest; in 2017, he only cost $3.75 million, but that escalates all the way to $7.25 million this upcoming season. That's more than a minor chunk of cash, which is now clear in the name of retaining the face of the franchise.
Even ​Padres fans have to admit: it's looking more likely than not that his team re-signs him. It's possible, and even widely considered probable, that they had the largest offer on the table prior to clearing in excess of $7 million.
It's a little bit of connecting the dots, but the Royals most recent trade definitely has to do with Hosmer. It just has to.

Well that's good. I can still like the Royals going forward.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10480
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 11:05:03 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

(whinnnnnnnnnnnnnny voice) ........ why do you like the ROYALES? why would you care about the ROYALES? why wouldn't you just stare silently into the abyss once your team isn't playing?
Post #: 10481
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 11:07:21 AM   
David Levine

quote:

why wouldn't you just stare silently into the abyss once your team isn't playing?

That's how I feel about the Super Bowl...
Post #: 10482
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 11:38:00 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

(whinnnnnnnnnnnnnny voice) ........ why do you like the ROYALES? why would you care about the ROYALES? why wouldn't you just stare silently into the abyss once your team isn't playing?

Because you don't. And now you've made it acceptable. Thanks!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10483
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 12:49:12 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Change Oregon State Nickname because some people find it sexually offensive.

What about my people ... the Irish? That Notre Dame logo is offensive. We're all a bunch of drunken little runts looking for a fight ... okay I guess that part is true ... but we never use a fighting stance like that ... you'd get your ass kicked from that stance.

We don't want the Irish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw

Ahh Prairie Sh*t, Everybody

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 10484
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 3:26:21 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

why wouldn't you just stare silently into the abyss once your team isn't playing?

You must stare silently into the abyss a lot following the Vikings David. They have the patent on pitiful playoff performances.

Post #: 10485
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 3:51:46 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Change USC because the condom competition says it's unfair advertising.

quote:

Change Oregon State Nickname because some people find it sexually offensive.

Think about when these two teams play each other.

About how the Trojan penetrates the Beaver defense....

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 10486
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2018 4:21:57 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

You must stare silently into the abyss a lot following the Vikings David. They have the patent on pitiful playoff performances.

Nope. I have a ton of joy in my life.

You should try it some time...
Post #: 10487
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/31/2018 9:07:24 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope. I have a ton of joy in my life.

You should try it some time...

My joy is traveling. Sports are way down the list although I do still enjoy the MN Twins for reasons I cannot explain (It probably has something to do with Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva, Rod Carew and others when I was in elementary school and high school). Being a MN sports fans is much more difficult than other cities across the US. It is still difficult to believe we have three major men's sports franchises that have never won a championship in combined years that is well over 100 seasons.

Post #: 10488
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/1/2018 12:58:31 PM   
Mr. Ed

Those silly Brewers are apparently not satisfied with hoping their team improves, even after the OF work

Seeking an upgrade for the front of their rotation, the Brewers recently circled back with the Rays to inquire on the availability of Chris Archer, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (Twitter link). A deal appears unlikely, though, Rosenthal adds, as Tampa Bay may not hold Domingo Santana or Brett Phillips in high enough regard to serve as a centerpiece.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10489
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/1/2018 2:15:07 PM   
SoMnFan

Not possible Ed
When you make a move, no matter how small, you're supposed to stand around crowing about it to your sheep, to which they pat you on the back until you're sore.
No one gets better, then tries to get even better.
That'd cost money. Good money the Pohlads could put into the family coffers.
Post #: 10490
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/1/2018 2:16:34 PM   
twinsfan

Form #1 overall pick Mark Appel has retired. He topped out at AAA.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10491
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 11:10:50 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

The Twins sure know how to pick em'.

Post #: 10492
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 11:22:44 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

The Twins sure know how to pick em'.

Mark Appel, a hard-throwing pitcher from Stanford taken by the Houston Astros with the No. 1 pick in the 2013 Major League Baseball draft, has announced his intention to leave the game. He was released by Philadelphia in November ahead of the winter meeting draft.

Twins took Kohl Stewart. Getting close to this. Rumors were out this winter he was going to college to play football, which Stewart denied during TwinsFest.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10493
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 1:35:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

What a surprise. Another agent is ticked off about the slow market.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22300069/agent-says-fight-brewing-slow-mlb-free-agent-market

If Darvish is actually wanting 7 years, and a number of pitchers are waiting on it....
Then DUHHHH fellas. No owner is going to cough up 7 years for Darvish.

Go on strike.
I'm done with y'all then.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10494
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 1:39:42 PM   
Mr. Ed

Bottom line, the players are upset. No, they are outraged. Players in the midst of long-term contracts are as frustrated as those still seeking employment. Their voices are getting louder and they are uniting in a way not seen since 1994.

Screw you. You play baseball. Get a real job then.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10495
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 1:40:08 PM   
TJSweens

I'm a bit surprised. One article I read says that nobody has gone much over $100M total money on a Darvish offer and that surprisingly there are offers below $100M.

Bore-ass of course is fuming because nobody is biting on Arrieta. Apparently everyone seems to realize that his numbers have been in decline since 2015.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 2/2/2018 1:41:13 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10496
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 1:40:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

As noted Carlos Santana got 3 years 60 mill in Philly.

Yeah, that's collusion

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10497
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 1:42:11 PM   
TJSweens

The Cain contract alone should be enough to disprove collusion.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10498
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 1:49:58 PM   
Mr. Ed

Arte Moreno spent like a drunk sailor again in LA

Collusion? No, more line sanity restored for some.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10499
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 2/2/2018 1:58:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

Sweens, you're right. Look at what Milwaukee is doing. That's collusion? GImme a break.

Poor babies, some aren't getting stupid money vs a good contract. Get over it

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10500
Page:   <<   < prev  418 419 [420] 421 422   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  418 419 [420] 421 422   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode