Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  421 422 [423] 424 425   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/11/2018 6:12:06 PM   
Mr. Ed

Arrieta signed a 3 year deal with Philly

75 M total

So one team caved big time

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10551
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/11/2018 7:40:30 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

75 M total

I would take Arrieta in our rotation at that low year commitment.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10552
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/12/2018 10:24:19 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

75 M total

Bad habits tough to get rid of for some.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 10553
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/15/2018 9:22:06 AM   
TJSweens

I'm shocked Alex Cobb doesn't have a contract yet. I would much rather sign him than Arrieta. I have a feeling the Phillies are going to be begging someone to take him off their hands before his contract is up.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10554
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/16/2018 9:13:42 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

75 M total

So they got screwed. Some teams don't get it.

Post #: 10555
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/16/2018 9:17:06 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

75 M total

So they got screwed. Some teams don't get it.

No collusion there

Funny how that rhetoric has died down.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10556
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/16/2018 9:31:03 AM   
Mr. Ed

Right-hander Luke Bard is turning some heads in Angels camp as he vies for a spot in the big league bullpen, writes Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times. The younger brother of former Red Sox setup man Daniel Bard, Luke was selected by the Angels out of the Twins organization in the Rule 5 Draft back in December. The 27-year-old was a supplemental first-rounder back in 2012 but has had his development slowed by shoulder and hip surgeries. Finally healthy in 2017, Bard turned in a 2.76 ERA with 13.6 K/9, 3.3 BB/9 and a 32 percent ground-ball rate in 65 1/3 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. Bard’s spring ERA is skewed by one outing where he was rocked for five runs in just a third of an inning, but he’s impressed manager Mike Scioscia in the remainder of his outings and expressed a willingness to work multi-inning stints out of the ’pen. “His stuff is good, he spins the ball well, and hopefully he’s going to be a multi-inning guy,” Scioscia tells DiGiovanna. “With the makeup of our club, multi-inning [relievers] are really important.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10557
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/23/2018 8:58:33 PM   
Mr. Ed

Giants starter Madison Bumgarner fractured his left hand after being a hit by a line drive in Friday's Spring Training game against the Royals, the team announced.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports Bumgarner will be out six to eight weeks with a broken left pinky.
Kansas City second baseman Whit Merrifield led off the top of the third inning and hit a come-backer right to Bumgarner, who put both hands up in anticipation of the ball.
After taking the ball off his pitching hand, Bumgarner ran toward the ball and appeared to be trying to throw out Merrifield at first, but instead just picked up the ball with his glove. He was pulled from the game after that.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10558
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/26/2018 11:57:22 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Giants starter Madison Bumgarner fractured his left hand after being a hit by a line drive in Friday's Spring Training game against the Royals, the team announced.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports Bumgarner will be out six to eight weeks with a broken left pinky.
Kansas City second baseman Whit Merrifield led off the top of the third inning and hit a come-backer right to Bumgarner, who put both hands up in anticipation of the ball.
After taking the ball off his pitching hand, Bumgarner ran toward the ball and appeared to be trying to throw out Merrifield at first, but instead just picked up the ball with his glove. He was pulled from the game after that.

Any injury to a pitcher is a death sentence for the entire season. The Giants will be lucky to get six to eight weeks of productivity from Bumgarner this season

Post #: 10559
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/26/2018 5:47:47 PM   
ewen21

quote:

quote:

Any injury to a pitcher is a death sentence for the entire season. The Giants will be lucky to get six to eight weeks of productivity from Bumgarner this season

This is precisely why I am 90% against signing an ace. In order to do so you have to give out a stupid contract like the one Darvish got (is he even an ace). Then you have to keep your fingers crossed that the guy doesn't succumb (to the seemingly inevitable surgery) because these guys don't do less than five years.

A guy like Bumgarner WAS an ace and he needs to restore the standard he pitched to in order to warrant that designation, as far as I am concerned. He had a rough season by his standards last year. He only pitched 111 innings. To be an ace you need to be up around 200.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 10560
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/26/2018 9:02:05 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

quote:

This is precisely why I am 90% against signing an ace. In order to do so you have to give out a stupid contract like the one Darvish got (is he even an ace). Then you have to keep your fingers crossed that the guy doesn't succumb (to the seemingly inevitable surgery) because these guys don't do less than five years.

A guy like Bumgarner WAS an ace and he needs to restore the standard he pitched to in order to warrant that designation, as far as I am concerned. He had a rough season by his standards last year. He only pitched 111 innings. To be an ace you need to be up around 200.

IMO, any pitcher who gets hurt is no longer an ace. I don't care what the reason is. Part of being a good athlete is to NOT get injured. I realize getting injured can be part of the game but the legends tend to avoid long-term serious injury and when they do get injured they return hitting the ground running.

Post #: 10561
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 5:57:08 AM   
Mr. Ed

Tuesday night's spring training finale between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim was cut short after a foul-smelling sewage leak flooded the field at Dodger Stadium in the fifth inning.
The stench forced the game to be called after a 32-minute delay with two outs in the bottom of the fifth, giving the Dodgers a 4-3 victory. The leak left a pool of sewage near the Dodgers’ dugout in foul territory.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10562
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 8:29:45 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Tuesday night's spring training finale between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim was cut short after a foul-smelling sewage leak flooded the field at Dodger Stadium in the fifth inning.
The stench forced the game to be called after a 32-minute delay with two outs in the bottom of the fifth, giving the Dodgers a 4-3 victory. The leak left a pool of sewage near the Dodgers’ dugout in foul territory.

Wow! I was watching that game until the 4th inning. Shoulda stuck with it. That's crazy!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10563
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 9:12:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Wow! I was watching that game until the 4th inning. Shoulda stuck with it. That's crazy!!

Did you see pictures? was like a large area of nearly-clear (looked like it to me) slime. Eww!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10564
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 10:07:17 AM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did you see pictures? was like a large area of nearly-clear (looked like it to me) slime. Eww!

Needed smell-a-vision to fully appreciate this.

Remember when they briefly had movies with odors......

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 10565
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 10:11:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

quote:

quote:

Must be a California thing.

Oakland had raw sewage issues near the end of the season as well.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10566
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 10:24:40 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're making that up.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10567
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 10:43:50 AM   
sixthwi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're making that up.

No he's not.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 10568
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 12:32:15 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're making that up.

No he's not.

For Matt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision

Smell-O-Vision was a system that released odor during the projection of a film so that the viewer could "smell" what was happening in the movie. The technique was created by Hans Laube and made its only appearance in the 1960 film Scent of Mystery, produced by Mike Todd, Jr., son of film producer Mike Todd. The process injected 30 odors into a movie theater's seats when triggered by the film's soundtrack.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 10569
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 2:34:34 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're making that up.

No he's not.

For Matt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision

Smell-O-Vision was a system that released odor during the projection of a film so that the viewer could "smell" what was happening in the movie. The technique was created by Hans Laube and made its only appearance in the 1960 film Scent of Mystery, produced by Mike Todd, Jr., son of film producer Mike Todd. The process injected 30 odors into a movie theater's seats when triggered by the film's soundtrack.

April Fools joke

In 1965, BBC TV played an April Fools Day joke on their viewers. The network aired an "interview" with a man who had invented a new technology called "Smellovision" that allowed viewers at home to experience aromas produced in the television studio. To demonstrate, the man chopped some onions and brewed a pot of coffee. Viewers called in to confirm that they had smelled the aromas that were "transmitted" through their television sets.

I knew it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10570
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 2:49:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

Phew.....dodged a bullet on this one.

Angels going w/6 man rotation to "ease in" Ohanti

There have been several bumps in the road, and the truth is there are still more questions than answers concerning how Ohtani’s skills will translate to Major League Baseball. Ohtani made just two starts in big league games during spring training, allowing eight earned runs on nine hits, three of which were home runs. That amounts to a 27.00 ERA.

As a hitter, Ohtani has been even less convincing. He finished the Cactus League 3-for-28 (.107). Scouts have told Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan that Ohtani might need another 500 at-bats in the minor leagues to adequately develop his hitting.

PT Barnum would be proud

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10571
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2018 3:00:14 PM   
Mr. Ed

OHanti is further proof that owners have way too much money to throw away on "talent" like this.

Twins almost got suckered again.
Continue to plow money into the real baseball hot beds.
Unfortunately there are no gimmicks there like Ohanti to draw in the sheep.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10572
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/29/2018 7:16:39 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

OHanti is further proof that owners have way too much money to throw away on "talent" like this.

Indeed.
For all of our efforts in Australia, we never got much return.
Park some scouts in the DR, Puerto Rico and the States and call it good.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 10573
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/29/2018 7:29:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Indeed.
For all of our efforts in Australia, we never got much return.
Park some scouts in the DR, Puerto Rico and the States and call it good.

Thorpe and Whitefield(slugged and ran well in A ball last year) are the last best hopes. Have not read much of any Aussie signings in the Falvine era.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10574
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/29/2018 7:38:51 AM   
SoMnFan

Perez out for the first 4-6 weeks for the Royales
That's great news for Twins fans
Guy KILLS us.
Post #: 10575
Page:   <<   < prev  421 422 [423] 424 425   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  421 422 [423] 424 425   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode