Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  441 442 [443] 444 445   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 1:41:41 PM   
twinsfan

Phillies HOF, yes. Nats? Doesn't make sense to me.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11051
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 1:47:19 PM   
SoMnFan

He was the fuzzy face of that franchise while he was there. IMO
While none of the more-famous faces would stand up.
Guy was a leader, a producer, and a stand-up dude.
Post #: 11052
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 1:48:20 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

He was the fuzzy face of that franchise while he was there. IMO
While none of the more-famous faces would stand up.
Guy was a leader, a producer, and a stand-up dude.

And he wants robots to play the game.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11053
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 1:48:44 PM   
SoMnFan

and he won the off-season beach volleyball tourney for 7 straight years.

game
set
match
Post #: 11054
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 1:51:05 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

and he won the off-season beach volleyball tourney for 7 straight years.

game
set
match

Hey, I used that line yesterday when I won an argument. I guess you can use it now that you won today's argument. It's catchy. I came up with it myself.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11055
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 2:06:53 PM   
SoMnFan

Speaking of Kemp ... Our boy Torii helps another one.

TORII HUNTER WAS with Kemp when he got that call from Friedman. They'd been friends for years in an older brother/younger brother kind of way. Over the course of his 19-year career, Hunter had made a point of reaching out to dozens of younger players, offering advice and mentorship, as veterans such as Twins legend Kirby Puckett had done for him when he first made it to the big leagues.

But Kemp wasn't a kid trying to find his way around the big leagues anymore. He was a veteran confronting his own baseball mortality. "It's an ego thing," Kemp says. "Getting older gets a little humbling."

Hunter, two years into retirement, knew a little something about that part too. "I was like 29 when I had to start really getting into my body," Hunter says. "I just took control, and it paid off, because I played until I was 40. And I could've played two more years after that; it's just my mind left."

Hunter had been encouraging Kemp to move to Texas and train with him full time for years. He'd get him eating right and training in a way he'd never done before. Kemp would come for a few weeks each offseason, but after the way his body felt after last season -- derailed by yet another hamstring injury, which turned him into one of the worst defensive outfielders in the game -- he knew he needed to make a deeper commitment.

Soda and processed food were out. His meals would be prepared by Hunter's longtime private chef, Kevin Ashade. He changed his workouts to focus more on flexibility, endurance and weight loss rather than strength training. His nightlife, once the fascination of tabloids and paparazzi when he was dating Rihanna, had turned into game nights and barbecue with Hunter and his wife.

"He renovated himself and built himself back up," Hunter says. "He's the same body, the same building, but he renovated. The inside is different."

Kemp had already lost 20 pounds by the time Friedman called in mid-December, and he intended to lose at least 20 more before spring training. (Hunter proudly says Kemp eventually lost 52 pounds. Kemp was more modest, saying simply that he lost "enough.") He thought about telling Friedman all of that on that phone call. About how much he'd come to appreciate being a Dodger and how much he wanted to be back. About how hard it was to watch his former teammates go to the World Series last year after yet another wasted year on a non-contender. These three seasons away had tested his spirit, but he'd made a choice in the offseason to find his love for the game again and was doing everything he could to remake himself from the inside out.

But this was literally the second time he'd ever spoken to the guy, and both had been trade calls like this. He had no idea whether he would even listen.

And more than that, Kemp knew that talk was cheap when it came to changing his reputation. The only thing he could do was swallow his pride and show the Dodgers how much he'd changed.

"What can you do?" Hunter asked him. "Just trust the process that you're going through.

"You're a new person, so just go do your thing. Help the other guys. Show them that you have that wisdom to give back. I think every organization needs a player that has great character, wisdom, that's been through stuff.

"Show them what you can do whenever you get the chance."

Torii is a great dude.
My boys and I were talking all-time favorite Twins the other day, and I had a real hard time not putting him in my Top Five.
Post #: 11056
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 2:55:53 PM   
Mr. Ed

Torii Hunter needs to help Buxton. I can't think of anyone else they have in the org that could turn him around.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11057
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 3:02:23 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Torii Hunter needs to help Buxton. I can't think of anyone else they have in the org that could turn him around.

What he needs to teach Buxton is how to rob home runs and made diving catches etc without hurting himself.

Buxton can't stay off the DL for more than a couple weeks.

That has to change.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 11058
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 3:03:26 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

What he needs to teach Buxton is how to rob home runs and made diving catches etc without hurting himself.

Buxton can't stay off the DL for more than a couple weeks.

That has to change.

Yes!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11059
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/14/2018 3:14:49 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Yes!
Post #: 11060
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/17/2018 9:44:19 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Yankees struggled with White Sox pitching, and they haven't even faced the phenom, Kopech.
(I do think Kopech is the real deal)

NY is in real danger of losing the #1 WC spot to Oakland.

Severino hit a big wall. Tyler Austin's dad couldn't be more right about Bird. I don't think he should have gone all LaVar on it though.

Boone stubbornly sticks with Bird, despite the promising bat of Voit. (Bird is flirting with a double digit BA in August)

Judge is certainly missed. Torres is out of place right now at SS. Andujar is going to be a monster. Sanchez got fat. He's the Yankee version of Sano.

Pitching not good enough to advance in the postseasn, IMO.

The Yankees still lead the A's by 4.5 games. I don't think it's panic time yet.

How about now?
Post #: 11061
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/17/2018 10:17:25 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yankees struggled with White Sox pitching, and they haven't even faced the phenom, Kopech.

Severino hit a big wall. Tyler Austin's dad couldn't be more right about Bird. I don't think he should have gone all LaVar on it though.

Boone stubbornly sticks with Bird, despite the promising bat of Voit. (Bird is flirting with a double digit BA in August)

Judge is certainly missed. Torres is out of place right now at SS. Andujar is going to be a monster. Sanchez got fat. He's the Yankee version of Sano.

How about now?

I personally wouldn't panic about having to play that WC game on the road. I'd maybe be panicking if both the A's and Rays were 1.5 games back of the Yanks.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11062
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/17/2018 10:25:56 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about now?

I personally wouldn't panic about having to play that WC game on the road. I'd maybe be panicking if both the A's and Rays were 1.5 games back of the Yanks.

The pitching is so bad right now. Severino looked like Cy Young before the break, now he looks like Neil Young.

Happ is just okay.

Sabathia over achieved early. Downright awful the last month.

Tanaka may be their best pitcher. Not a comforting thought for Yankee fans.
Post #: 11063
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/17/2018 10:34:20 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about now?

The pitching is so bad right now. Severino looked like Cy Young before the break, now he looks like Neil Young.

Happ is just okay.

Sabathia over achieved early. Downright awful the last month.

Tanaka may be their best pitcher. Not a comforting thought for Yankee fans.

Do a bullpen game in the WC game. The A's might.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11064
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/19/2018 1:37:57 PM   
twinsfan

Pretty funny seeing the Yanks and their fans cock off last night beating the Red Sox. Hey! You're 10.5 games back, and still not locked into the 1st Wildcard spot! SLOW YOUR ROLL!!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11065
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/20/2018 9:42:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

Wheeeeeeeeeee

Angels catcher Francisco Arcia became the first player to catch, pitch and homer in a MLB game during Thursday's 22–3 loss to the Athletics.
Arcia pitched the last two innings for Los Angeles and then he homered in the ninth inning. He gave up four hits and three runs.
According to California News Group's Matt Birch, he is the first Angels pitcher to hit a home run since Clyde Wright on Sept. 8, 1972.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11066
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/21/2018 8:33:16 AM   
sixthwi

quote:

Wheeeeeeeeeee

Angels catcher Francisco Arcia became the first player to catch, pitch and homer in a MLB game during Thursday's 22–3 loss to the Athletics.
Arcia pitched the last two innings for Los Angeles and then he homered in the ninth inning. He gave up four hits and three runs.
According to California News Group's Matt Birch, he is the first Angels pitcher to hit a home run since Clyde Wright on Sept. 8, 1972.

That is so exciting - not

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 11067
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 9:25:24 AM   
SoMnFan

Astros win their 100th last night

Sigh

A rebuild, done right.
And it looks like its sustaining itself better than the KC model did.
Post #: 11068
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 9:45:07 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Astros win their 100th last night

Sigh

A rebuild, done right.
And it looks like its sustaining itself better than the KC model did.

Adding and CHANGING Pressly strengthened them.

A guy still under control so they did it at what cost? A couple of A ball guys? Whoop-ee

And they'll continue to do well in that division. Ohtani will have TJ surgery after the season is over.

Tried all that other crap for a whole year and it didn't work. Now they'll lose him for 2019

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11069
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 10:19:03 AM   
sixthwi

I guess the signing of Lorenzo Cain by the Brewers wasn't such a bad signing after all. .311 batting average and OBP of .401.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 11070
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 10:21:09 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

I guess the signing of Lorenzo Cain by the Brewers wasn't such a bad signing after all. .311 batting average and OBP of .401.

They just won't quit
Fun race over there
Half a game?
Go BrewCrew!
Everyone's darlings are getting tight collars. Love it.
Post #: 11071
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 10:22:15 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Meanwhile, the Wonder Kids signed LoMo for the Twins.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 11072
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 10:28:10 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

One of the key cogs in KC's run

With Buxton's failures, would have been a GREAT MN signing.

But no

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11073
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 10:29:38 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

One of the key cogs in KC's run

With Buxton's failures, would have been a GREAT MN signing.

But no

Aaron Hicks would have been a great guy to have around with Buxton's struggles. But noooooo.
Post #: 11074
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 9/26/2018 11:24:35 AM   
SoMnFan

Jays finally parting ways with Gardys buddy (Gibbons) in Toronto, according to reports.
Been pretty BLAH up there for a couple years.
Post #: 11075
Page:   <<   < prev  441 442 [443] 444 445   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  441 442 [443] 444 445   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode