Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  478 479 [480] 481 482   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/23/2020 9:52:22 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Dozier signed with the Padres? And SMF didn't notice?

He may never play a game for them.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 11976
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/28/2020 1:46:15 PM   
SoMnFan

Major League baseball is finally allowing fans to seek refunds for games currently not being played due to the coronavirus pandemic. Previously, games were considered postponed, instead of canceled, allowing teams to hold onto revenue generated from ticket sales.
But with little chance of MLB playing 162 games this season, the league has decided to allow for refunds. Each team will set its own policy with many likely offering a credit for 2021 as an option as well. Teams can announce their new policies beginning on Wednesday.

The decision comes a week after the process was begun to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of fans in California seeking refunds. Additionally, there were several state attorney general offices around the country which had received complaints about the no-refund policy.
MLB has no start date for the 2020 season.

Was wondering about this.
Sure hope the Pohlads don't fall on hard times.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11977
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/28/2020 1:56:56 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Major League baseball is finally allowing fans to seek refunds for games currently not being played due to the coronavirus pandemic. Previously, games were considered postponed, instead of canceled, allowing teams to hold onto revenue generated from ticket sales.
But with little chance of MLB playing 162 games this season, the league has decided to allow for refunds. Each team will set its own policy with many likely offering a credit for 2021 as an option as well. Teams can announce their new policies beginning on Wednesday.

The decision comes a week after the process was begun to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of fans in California seeking refunds. Additionally, there were several state attorney general offices around the country which had received complaints about the no-refund policy.

2021 directive will be to slash payroll, I'm sure.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11978
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/28/2020 2:03:22 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

2021 directive will be to slash payroll, I'm sure.

MAYBE they will be forced to sell the team to someone who gives more than half a **** about winning over bottom line.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 11979
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/29/2020 12:29:58 PM   
SoMnFan

The Houston Asterisks

Damn, that's funny.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11980
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/1/2020 3:52:40 PM   
Mr. Ed

LB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday that Cleveland Indians pitcher Emmanuel Clase has received an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Boldenone, a performance-enhancing substance.

The 22-year-old right handed reliever was considered a key piece of the Corey Kluber trade, when the Tribe sent the Cy Young winner to the Texas Rangers this past December.

With high velocity, 100 mph pitching, Clase was deemed a top prospect of the Indians bullpen for 2020.

The abuse of the drug violates Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11981
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/4/2020 9:41:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

Pete Rose w/Corked bats?

*YAWN*

Sports world is scraping for material

Who cares? He bet on sports as a player and manager. Tons of guys corked bats. Whoopee.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/former-montreal-expos-groundskeeper-joe-jammer-says-pete-rose-had-bats-corked/ar-BB13zCVO?ocid=spartanntp

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11982
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/4/2020 10:31:00 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Pete Rose w/Corked bats?

*YAWN*

Sports world is scraping for material

Who cares? He bet on sports as a player and manager. Tons of guys corked bats. Whoopee.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/former-montreal-expos-groundskeeper-joe-jammer-says-pete-rose-had-bats-corked/ar-BB13zCVO?ocid=spartanntp

The thing is, I believe that diminishes his all-time hits record. That was a HUGE DEAL when it happened, and it has always been stated as one of those unbreakable records in the years since. Now I don't see him as the all-time hits leader any more than I see Barry Bonds as the all-time HR leader. It's big.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11983
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/4/2020 10:43:00 AM   
Mr. Ed

36 years later someone is talking about it. Again. A former groundskeeper now in England as a musician in a club.
A guy told another guy...

and it's been covered before..

In 2010, Deadspin.com published a photo of an X-ray of a Mizuno PR4192 bat — "commissioned by Pete Rose specifically for his 1985 chase of baseball’s all-time hits record" — that it said was corked.
Rose's long-time friend, Tommy Gioiosa, told Vanity Fair in 2001 that Rose corked his bats in 1985 when he played for the Reds.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11984
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/4/2020 10:47:50 AM   
twinsfan

I say cheating the game with your equipment is worse than cheating it with PEDs as far as records go, and all that. Cheating with illegal equipment is on par with or maybe slightly worse than what the Astros did with technology and garbage cans. Both much worse than PEDs, because with PEDs, it's still your body, and it's a fine line between what's legal for enhancement and what is not.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11985
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/4/2020 10:54:57 AM   
TJSweens

Equipment vs PED? Meh, cheating is cheating. You get caught, you pay the price. I have no sympathy for Rose, Bonds, Clemmens, McGuire, HoJo and anyone else who loses out on the hall because they doctored equipment or their physiology.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11986
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/4/2020 10:58:41 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Equipment vs PED? Meh, cheating is cheating. You get caught, you pay the price. I have no sympathy for Rose, Bonds, Clemmens, McGuire, HoJo and anyone else who loses out on the hall because they doctored equipment or their physiology.

Doctored their equipment, either way.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11987
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/4/2020 11:38:08 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Doctored their equipment, either way.

In the wrong way.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11988
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 10:55:10 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

I say cheating the game with your equipment is worse than cheating it with PEDs as far as records go, and all that. Cheating with illegal equipment is on par with or maybe slightly worse than what the Astros did with technology and garbage cans. Both much worse than PEDs, because with PEDs, it's still your body, and it's a fine line between what's legal for enhancement and what is not.

How would you compare cheating in MLB to what is happening with our federal, state and local governments? Do you believe that cheating is going on with our political voice?

....joepardy music playing in the background.........

Post #: 11989
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 11:27:33 AM   
twinsfan

I quit politics on this thread.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11990
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 11:30:26 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

How would you compare cheating in MLB to what is happening with our federal, state and local governments? Do you believe that cheating is going on with our political voice?

Cheating in baseball with the spitter and non electronic sign stealing was almost honorable back in the day. It was a well respected tradition. As for Rose and the hall I don't give a rat's ass about his betting on baseball during his managerial career. He is not under consideration for his managerial skills. Also he always bet on his team. He had or has a gambling problem. If he bet on baseball while he was a player that to me doesn't diminish his baseball contributions.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/12/2020 11:35:48 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11991
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 11:45:08 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Cheating in baseball with the spitter and non electronic sign stealing was almost honorable back in the day. It was a well respected tradition. As for Rose and the hall I don't give a rat's ass about his betting on baseball during his managerial career. He is not under consideration for his managerial skills. Also he always bet on his team. He had or has a gambling problem. If he bet on baseball while he was a player that to me doesn't diminish his baseball contributions.

I totally agree.

Post #: 11992
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 11:45:51 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Probably a wise choice. Well done grasshopper.

Post #: 11993
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 11:51:22 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Probably a wise choice. Well done grasshopper.

I applaud that decision as well.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11994
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 3:29:01 PM   
SoMnFan

https://twitter.com/KyleNYY/status/1260037620848930822/photo/1

What the?

These athletes who slim down to nothing after retirement are interesting

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 5/12/2020 3:30:35 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11995
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 3:51:34 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Major League Baseball made it abundantly clear with the Black Sox scandal that betting on baseball of any kind by anyone involved with baseball would not be tolerated. Pete Rose bet on baseball, he knew the rules regarding that. He put himself in this box.

Do I think he should be in the HOF? Sure. But he did break baseball's rules regarding gambling.

If you are going to give him a pass, then you should be giving every other cheater a pass as well.

McGwire's conribution to Baseball is he (with Sammy Sosa) saved the game, roided up or not, the chase to beat Maris in 1998 brought people back to the park after the World Series cancellation fiasco. That and the rest of his career should put him in the HOF.

I am fine giving the Steriod era a pass because MLB looked the other way and did nothing. It wasn't until CONGRESS got involved that they finally took action. They essentially enabled the entire steroid era. Why should the players get punished now when they were never going to get punished then?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 11996
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/12/2020 3:57:06 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

MLB really did nothing to stop the PED/Steroid Era. It served their purposes to some extent. They had NO testing program for most of it. what amounted to a slap on the wrist if someone got caught. It was a joke at best.

I have sympathy only because MLB let the steroid era happen.

Many of these guys were deserved HOFers before any juicing happened. and in the end I bet many will end up enshrined albeit much later than that would've been without the Steroids.

Post #: 11997
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/13/2020 8:26:10 AM   
ronhextall

I don't think there will be a baseball season. Players want full pay for each game played, with no fans in the stands the owners revenue will be way down.

If I was an owner I would take this opportunity to break the union's back.
Post #: 11998
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/13/2020 7:38:10 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Major League Baseball made it abundantly clear with the Black Sox scandal that betting on baseball of any kind by anyone involved with baseball would not be tolerated. Pete Rose bet on baseball, he knew the rules regarding that. He put himself in this box.

Do I think he should be in the HOF? Sure. But he did break baseball's rules regarding gambling.

If you are going to give him a pass, then you should be giving every other cheater a pass as well.

McGwire's conribution to Baseball is he (with Sammy Sosa) saved the game, roided up or not, the chase to beat Maris in 1998 brought people back to the park after the World Series cancellation fiasco. That and the rest of his career should put him in the HOF.

I am fine giving the Steriod era a pass because MLB looked the other way and did nothing. It wasn't until CONGRESS got involved that they finally took action. They essentially enabled the entire steroid era. Why should the players get punished now when they were never going to get punished then?

I also think it is important to consider what the players took and when they took it. McGwire was taking androstenedione or something like that while it was totally legal to take it. However, he did continue using some steroids after they were banned if I understand correctly.
Also those players weren't banned for betting on baseball. They were banned for allegedly accepting bribes. Shoeless Joe it seemed took the money and still played his best.
As for giving Rose a pass betting is breaking the rules, but it isn't cheating.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/14/2020 10:35:54 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11999
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 11:04:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

According to an email sent to me by baseball America, the owners will saved in excess of 300 million dollars by having only a 5 round draft this year.

Savings are on on bonuses and deferred bonuses paid to choices over the years from rounds 6-40, based on $ spend in 2019.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/how-much-money-will-mlb-teams-save-in-a-shortened-2020-draft/

In baseball terms, the amount of money clubs save by reducing the number of draft rounds is minimal.
Teams combined to spend $23.319 million on signing bonuses for players drafted in rounds 6-10 in 2019. That’s an average of $777,300 saved per team by eliminating those draft rounds this year.
Teams combined to spend $79,215,284 on signing bonuses for players drafted between rounds 6-40 in 2019. That’s an average of just over $2.64 million saved per team by not having a full 40-round draft.

Players drafted in the first five rounds last year received a combined $237,345,700 in signing bonuses. If all 160 players drafted this year sign for the full slot amount, teams will save more than $221 million in spending in 2020 by deferring all but $100,000 of those bonus payments, although clubs will still have to pay out the full amount in later years.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 5/14/2020 11:06:49 AM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12000
Page:   <<   < prev  478 479 [480] 481 482   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  478 479 [480] 481 482   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode