Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  479 480 [481] 482 483   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 11:12:10 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I also think it is important to consider what the players took and when they took it. McGwire was taking androstenedione or something like that while it was totally legal to take it. However, he did continue using some steroids after they were banned if I understand correctly.
Also those players weren't banned for betting on baseball. They were banned for allegedly accepting bribes. Shoeless Joe it seemed took the money and still played his best.
As for giving Rose a pass betting is breaking the rules, but it isn't cheating.

Shoeless Joe got banned because he knew the others were taking bribes and told nobody. Not because he took bribes himself.

The rules on gambling on baseball were well known to Pete Rose when he gambled on baseball, including what the punishment was. Those rules were established because of the BlackSox Scandal, regardless of the nature of why they were banned.

Pete Rose knew gambling on Baseball games was against the rules, knew it meant a lifetime ban if caught and still bet on baseball games. I have said I think he belongs in the HOF. But I have no problem with the ban

NONE of the steroid users have been banned for life from baseball. And they never will be. That was part of my argument about it. They used when there was no testing for it, and when baseball really didn't have any kind of punishment even if they did somehow get caught using them. Yes, it was cheating, but at the height of the steroid era nearly everyone was using. Some used just to keep up with the status quo. and baseball turned their heads and looked the other way. Had there been a testing program like today, and a lifetime ban was the possible punishment....you can bet most of those guys would not have risked using.

It took Congress getting involved to get baseball to do something about the massive abuse of steroids that was going on right in front of everyone's eyes. Again, I think those that used may have to wait longer to get in but eventually most will.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 12001
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 12:43:25 PM   
Mr. Ed

Rays pitcher Blake Snell said on Wednesday he will not return to the field in 2020 under MLB's proposed revenue split.
MLB owners approved a proposal on Monday that would split all revenue for the 2020 season 50-50 between the owners and the players. Snell and the MLBPA are expected to reject the proposal, countering with a previous March agreement that would simply prorate player's salaries based on the number of games played.
"I'm not playing unless I get mine, ok? And that's just the way it is for me," Snell said on his Twitch channel. "Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"
Snell also noted his health concerns for returning to play.
It's just scary to risk my life to get COVID-19 as well as not knowing and spreading it to the others,'' Snell told The Tampa Bay Times. "I just want everyone to be healthy and get back to our normal lives cause I know I miss mine."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12002
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 1:40:48 PM   
SoMnFan

That twerp Bauer from Cleveland is sounding off as usual.
I got "whaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa" out of it.
Clubhouses have changed.
Guy like that used to get "quieted". Not anymore.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12003
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 1:50:53 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

That twerp Bauer from Cleveland is sounding off as usual.
I got "whaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa" out of it.
Clubhouses have changed.
Guy like that used to get "quieted". Not anymore.

Didn't ESPN post his contact info on screen during a S Korea broadcast or something?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12004
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 2:25:16 PM   
SoMnFan

They "accidentally" posted his phone number above his picture while he was on FB live with ESPN during the LG Twins game

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12005
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 2:31:43 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

They "accidentally" posted his phone number above his picture while he was on FB live with ESPN during the LG Twins game

How's our Korean farm team been looking?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12006
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 2:34:29 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

How's our Korean farm team been looking?

Has there been any Byung HO sightings?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 12007
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/14/2020 2:38:16 PM   
SoMnFan

2020 Season
Ranking:
#4 of 10 in the KBO League
Record:
5W 3L 0D (.625, 2.0G)
Streak:
4W

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12008
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 7:32:45 AM   
SoMnFan

We're re-entering Bobby Bonilla territory …
If things stay the way they are, the highest-paid player this year will be (drumroll) ………….. Prince Fielder, owed $24 mil by the Rangers.
Nice contract, eh? Wow.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12009
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 7:43:51 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

We're re-entering Bobby Bonilla territory …
If things stay the way they are, the highest-paid player this year will be (drumroll) ………….. Prince Fielder, owed $24 mil by the Rangers.
Nice contract, eh? Wow.

So what would happen if a ton of players temporarily retired for one year?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 12010
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 8:40:29 AM   
ronhextall

I found a link on TV revenue by team, no way the owners will pay what the players are wanting.
Post #: 12011
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 9:25:07 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

I found a link on TV revenue by team, no way the owners will pay what the players are wanting.

So the cost is prohibitive? If that is true the players should be reasonable. Can you share the link? The Yankees and dodgers could probably get by.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12012
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 9:42:11 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

So the cost is prohibitive? If that is true the players should be reasonable. Can you share the link? The Yankees and dodgers could probably get by.

Here's my take on it. Are we going to side with the billionaire owners or the millionaire (some of them, anyway) players? The players that are on the field, that actually deliver the product for the fans? I say screw the owners – they should be obligated to pay the players in full. It’s part of the risk of business ownership. Free enterprise, right?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12013
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 11:01:18 AM   
ronhextall

https://econintersect.com/pages/analysis/analysis.php?post=201911150136

some TV numbers
Post #: 12014
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 11:57:12 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's my take on it. Are we going to side with the billionaire owners or the millionaire (some of them, anyway) players? The players that are on the field, that actually deliver the product for the fans? I say screw the owners – they should be obligated to pay the players in full. It’s part of the risk of business ownership. Free enterprise, right?

I hope they have a stalemate and there is no baseball.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 12015
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 12:04:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I always side with the owners over the players in sports. I want the owners to be as profitable as they are the ones who provide the product. Why do I care how rich the players get? I'd like it if we were back in the days when I remember Harmon Killebrew getting his first $100,000 dollar contract. The players from all evidence I see were happier back in the day playing for the love of the game rather than whining and holding out over being disrespected with contract offers of under $100 million.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12016
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 12:24:07 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I always side with the owners over the players in sports. I want the owners to be as profitable as they are the ones who provide the product. Why do I care how rich the players get? I'd like it if we were back in the days when I remember Harmon Killebrew getting his first $100,000 dollar contract. The players from all evidence I see were happier back in the day playing for the love of the game rather than whining and holding out over being disrespected with contract offers of under $100 million.

Who does that?!?!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12017
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 12:54:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who does that?!?!!

Me and other intelligent people. The owners are the ones providing the product to me. The Wilf's are providing the Vikings to me. Is it Pohlad's who own the Twins these days? Regardless whoever the owners are they are the ones providing the product to me. All I have to do is go on the internet and stream. The less the owners have to pay the players the cheaper I can get tickets and Hot Dogs.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/15/2020 12:59:25 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12018
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 1:38:59 PM   
ronhextall

If the NFL players hold out this season that will mean almost 1/2 the league will never earn another dime. NFL average career is 2.5 years.

That's why the NFLPA never does well with a strike.
Post #: 12019
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 1:39:12 PM   
SoMnFan

Ohhhhhhh my.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12020
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 1:40:48 PM   
twinsfan

Without the players, the owners do not have a viable product. kg, your arguments are IMO nuts.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12021
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 1:46:00 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Without the players, the owners do not have a viable product. kg, your arguments are IMO nuts.

DING
DING
DING

Go buy a cheap hotdog at Dairy Queen.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12022
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 1:55:03 PM   
twinsfan

kg and CPAMAN want to go back to the 1950s. Hmmmmmm.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12023
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 2:21:05 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

kg and CPAMAN want to go back to the 1950s. Hmmmmmm.

Part time jobs for the fellas!
Soon as the train rolls back into Minny, head on down to the factory and earn some real spendin money boys!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12024
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/15/2020 4:28:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

As if there wouldn't be players. The owners are the people who took the risk to invest in the product. They are the ones responsible for us being able to enjoy the game. You couldn't be more wrong.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12025
Page:   <<   < prev  479 480 [481] 482 483   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  479 480 [481] 482 483   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode