Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:13:57 AM   
JC2015

quote:

his decision to destroy a cell phone that likely implicated him in a low-rent scheme with two team flunkies doesn't destroy his legacy as a four-time champ.

But it does make Brady look like a liar. A liar in this case, anyway. In announcing his ruling to uphold Brady's four-game suspension, Goodell said the quarterback had his personal assistant do an end zone dance on his phone on or around the same March day Brady met with the investigators who already had asked to see relevant texts and emails on that phone.

Brady didn't reveal he'd effectively deleted nearly 10,000 texts over a four-month period until days before his 10-hour appeal hearing on June 23. According to the NFL ruling, he said the destruction of old cell phones was merely a part of his normal routine, like warming up with Julian Edelman and Gronk. But on page 12 of Goodell's 20-page decision, the commissioner points out that the phone Brady used before the one in question was intact and available for a forensic expert to review. "No explanation was provided for this anomaly," Goodell wrote.

Goodell cited Brady's quarterback-room meeting and numerous cell phone conversations with John Jastremski after the allegations surfaced; the quarterback had no such meeting or conversations with the equipment assistant during the regular season. Jim McNally, the officials' locker room attendant and the man believed to have taken a 100-second bathroom break with New England's AFC Championship Game balls, also makes a return appearance in the commissioner's decision as the self-described "Deflator."

Only here's the problem for Brady: Even if he wins, he loses. People who weren't convinced of his role in Deflategate by Ted Wells, or by McNally's reference to himself as "The Deflator," or by the notion that no underlings would alter game balls sans Brady's approval with a Super Bowl trip on the line, have to be sold by the story of the cell phone that went poof in the night.

So the quarterback has lost in the court of public opinion, and it didn't have to be that way. He should have copped to his mistake months ago. He should've realized that one stain wouldn't ruin an otherwise spotless career. He should've apologized for seeking that extra competitive edge, if only to prove one more time that 198 players shouldn't have been picked ahead of him in the 2000 NFL draft.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13332599/new-england-patriots-qb-tom-brady-deflategate-suspension-ian-oconnor
Post #: 876
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:18:54 AM   
djskillz

Again, why is there not any evidence recovered from the equipment guys' phones?

Because there is none. And in the end, the biggest point remains;

there is still no evidence that the footballs were underinflated!!!!!! Look at the science. EVERYTHING else is a moot point.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 877
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:29:09 AM   
JC2015

Public opinion doesn't work like that

To most non-Pats fans he is guilty and it WILL tarnish his legacy

All he had to do was turn his phone over
Post #: 878
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:29:39 AM   
JC2015

His wife being a super model is the moot point

Her personal information is no more important than the cashier at Kroger
Post #: 879
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:34:31 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2015

Sure it is. Because the public doesn't care about naked photos, personal information, etc. from the cashier at Kroger. They absolutely care about it with Gisele. And Tom.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 880
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:35:34 AM   
djskillz

quote:

Public opinion doesn't work like that

To most non-Pats fans he is guilty and it WILL tarnish his legacy

All he had to do was turn his phone over

I don't really care about public opinion. Our public is stupid anyway. We see it all the time with reality TV and that's what this has become. I care about the facts. And the facts are absolutely on Tom/the Patriots' side. Again, look at the science. If you have failed to do so, then you really can't label him a "cheater".

Post #: 881
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:46:01 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Dustin, come on man. We are boys but that is ludicrous. You are basically saying "he destroyed his phone to keep the bad shit he does away from his super model wife, anyone of us would do that". Really? That's pure conjecture dude. It is much more believable that he did it to destroy evidence that he had knowledge of what the equipment guys were doing.

But, that being said, either way you are defending a scumbag. No matter which one of those theories is right/wrong.
Post #: 882
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:48:53 AM   
djskillz

Goodell/the NFL is the real scumbag in this. Especially Vincent and the 'investigator'.

And I'm not saying he's keeping stuff away from Gisele. I'm actually saying that he has GISELE information (pictures, etc.) on his phone that I'm sure he doesn't want to share or to leak out. Again, if you've already decided you won't give up your phone, and you get a new phone, what would you do with your old phone? This whole thing aside, if you're someone like Tom Brady, or a musician, actor, etc. in the public eye and you get a new phone, what do you do with the old one? You destroy it, right? That's certainly what I would do.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 7/29/2015 9:59:15 AM >

Post #: 883
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:52:58 AM   
JC2015

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Goodell/the NFL is the real scumbag in this. Especially Vincent and the 'investigator'.

Again, if you've already decided you won't give up your phone, and you get a new phone, what would you do with your old phone? This whole thing aside, if you're someone like Tom Brady, or a musician, actor, etc. in the public eye and you get a new phone, what do you do with the old one? You destroy it, right? That's certainly what I would do.

Except that he did NOT destroy his previous phone so that argument has no merit

Brady cheated - it is pretty clear.

However, it is very insignificant and I bet most QBs have done it

Where he looks bad is with his denial and lies.

That is what is tarnishing his legacy, not the deflated balls

Any man who has been married knows that deflated balls are part of the package
Post #: 884
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:54:07 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Again, if you've already decided you won't give up your phone, and you get a new phone, what would you do with your old phone? This whole thing aside, if you're someone like Tom Brady, or a musician, actor, etc. in the public eye and you get a new phone, what do you do with the old one? You destroy it, right? That's certainly what I would do.

When people are investigating you and requesting your phone as part of that investigation...you don't think it would looks even a little bit suspicious if you decline them the opportunity to look at it and then happily destroy it? BIG RED FLAG here. Something appears amiss when you destroy something that many believe contains evidence against you.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 885
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:55:17 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Except that he did NOT destroy his previous phone so that argument has no merit

Brady cheated - it is pretty clear.

However, it is very insignificant and I bet most QBs have done it

Where he looks bad is with his denial and lies.

That is what is tarnishing his legacy, not the deflated balls

Any man who has been married knows that deflated balls are part of the package

Exactly. Just like Nixon and Watergate the coverup is going to end up being far worse than the actual "crime" itself.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 886
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:55:20 AM   
JC2015

the golden boy image is gone

I really liked Brady until he became Bill Belichick II

Really liked his first chick much better - only reason I watch that cop show on Fridays!

Giselle does nothing for me
Post #: 887
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:56:25 AM   
JC2015

All that said, I can see the Pats right back in the AFC CG battling the Colts

This time I think Luck prevails
Post #: 888
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:56:43 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Sure it is. Because the public doesn't care about naked photos, personal information, etc. from the cashier at Kroger. They absolutely care about it with Gisele. And Tom.

The public seemed to care about Brett Favre's penis for a while...

Post #: 889
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:58:20 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Really liked his first chick much better - only reason I watch that cop show on Fridays!

You know, if he'd have just come right out and admitted that he likes his balls a little softer and the equipment guys did know this... it probably just blows over in a couple months and the world keeps turning.

Post #: 890
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 9:59:14 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Yep. I can agree with that.

If Jimmy Garapolo can win half of the games he has to start. Pats will be the team to beat in the AFC.

Post #: 891
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:00:45 AM   
Dave Odle

quote:

Brady's decision to destroy his phone will forever cloud him as a cheater.

Most reasonable fans believe if he was innocent he would have turned his phone over. There were numerous safeguards to protect personal information.

Maybe there were messages on that phone in addition to incriminating ones about the NFL investigation. Giselle might be interested in knowing. Seriously, I don't think the reason he held the phone back was because of that. There was something else.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 892
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:00:56 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

When people are investigating you and requesting your phone as part of that investigation...you don't think it would looks even a little bit suspicious if you decline them the opportunity to look at it and then happily destroy it? BIG RED FLAG here. Something appears amiss when you destroy something that many believe contains evidence against you.

1) Again, he's under no obligation to give up his phone...at all, in this case.
2) They can get the same information (texts) from the equipment guys' phones but they don't have any.

Post #: 893
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:02:48 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

You know, if he'd have just come right out and admitted that he likes his balls a little softer and the equipment guys did know this... it probably just blows over in a couple months and the world keeps turning.

He should have done that. But that doesn't change the fact that there's still no evidence that the footballs were ever under 12.5 PSI from him/the equipment guys.

Post #: 894
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:05:01 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

Yep. I can agree with that.

If Jimmy Garapolo can win half of the games he has to start. Pats will be the team to beat in the AFC.

Agree. I think Garoppolo is a very good QB. I do think they're the team to beat in the AFC, along with the Colts. It's actually a little tough to see any team but those two in the AFC making the championship game.

Post #: 895
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:18:34 AM   
djskillz

Kraft comes out firing:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/13336829/robert-kraft-calls-tom-brady-four-game-suspension-unfathomable-apologizes-new-england-patriots-fans-accepting-league-penalties

Love it. He's dead-on. They never should have accepted any penalties. But he was being a bigger man.

And he's also spot-on that a lot of public perception has been shaped by the erroneous reports from the league about the "11 of 12 footballs" crap from the beginning. People are dumb; no one wants to actually look at the science and math and instead they'll just read headlines and say "they cheated!"

Post #: 896
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:23:23 AM   
djskillz

Also spot-on. This should dispute any crazy cell phone "smoking gun" theories. The NFL is a joke:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/28/brady-offered-to-help-nfl-gather-missing-text-messages/

Post #: 897
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:47:30 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Kraft comes out firing:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/13336829/robert-kraft-calls-tom-brady-four-game-suspension-unfathomable-apologizes-new-england-patriots-fans-accepting-league-penalties

Love it. He's dead-on. They never should have accepted any penalties. But he was being a bigger man.

And he's also spot-on that a lot of public perception has been shaped by the erroneous reports from the league about the "11 of 12 footballs" crap from the beginning. People are dumb; no one wants to actually look at the science and math and instead they'll just read headlines and say "they cheated!"

It's easier to believe that they cheated because they've cheated before. It was, at least how I understand it, the reason this penalty is so large.

Post #: 898
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 10:57:35 AM   
Dave Odle

I believe that Brady did it and I also believe it wasn't a big deal, either. The fact that this was even exaggerated into such a conspiracy is shameful. He broke the rules by having a football deflated. Give him a fine and move on; suspension if it happens again. Goodell seems to enjoy his role as judge, jury, and executioner. Just like Goodell would say that the Patriots are repeat offenders for rule violations, he is a repeat offender now at dispensing proper justice. First Peterson, now this. Then he wants to be the one that handles the appeal process, too? Come on. Where is the neutral arbitrator? Any appeals should be handles outside of the NFL office scope of authority.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 899
RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal - 7/29/2015 11:20:06 AM   
JC2015

quote:

quote:

exactly
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: NFL is going to reject Tom Brady’s appeal Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode