Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 10/30/2016 2:38:42 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2015

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JTC2017

Interesting how some are trying to blame the NFL's ratings decline on Kap

Nah, I think much bigger factors are:

* concussion issues including a movie
* Mediocre product
* Lack of exciting stars like a Moss or a young Peterson - Beckham imploding doesn't help
* Same teams winning

Pat Kirwan went on a bit of a rant on Friday saying he thinks it's the casual fan and the NFL's catering to the casual fan that's contributing to the ratings decline. He cited examples of OBJ and the net, deflategate, and contract negotiations getting more play than game analysis or even just highlights at halftime. He thinks real fans are saying "What happened to my football?". Kirwan thinks the NFL would be well served to focus more on the actual game and less on attracting more casual fans who may not even watch the game anyway.

So this morning I gave a good watch to Fox's pregame of the London game. Yep it's crap. You have Terry Bradshaw and Jimmy Johnson yucking it up and looking ridiculous. They throw in a bunch of Saturday Night Live type skits and then they spoon feed the audience one or two actual things about a player or the game. It's crap. You get better analysis listening to a fantasy football show on the radio.

Another thing I notice is that the TV personalities that cover the games all seem like a cookie-cutter stamp now. It's a former player that's been trained how to speak using his hands and only say generic dumbed-down things - basically stuffed shirts.

I think the NFL would do well to just put the smartest analysts they can find that still have a good on air presence. It's like they've forgotten that it's the game that everyone loves. Those casual fans will continue to be casual fans just like they are now. Get the true fans talking more about the game and the product and others will follow.

Right now the NFL's marketing reminds me of Donald Trump's campaign. They keep doubling down, then tripling down, then quadrupling down on the dumb-dumbs of the world and then can't figure out why no one is taking it seriously.

Stop dumb-ing down your product NFL (and TV networks). Dump the 90-IQ-Circus you call TV coverage and put something in that someone with half-a-brain or better can get something out of.

Great great great post!

They made it Hollywood and thus less appealing

+2

Esp the focus on OBJ. His behavior turns people off so why would you keep talking about it.

OBJ went from the most marketable player in the NFL to a cancer in one season.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1576
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 10/31/2016 11:21:00 AM   
SoMnFan

Damn Da Raiders are fun again.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1577
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 10/31/2016 1:28:13 PM   
Tim Cady

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Damn Da Raiders are fun again.

Yes they are. I remember pre-draft 2014. Derek Carr looked to be the guy that best matched Norv's offense but taking him top 10 would be too high. Then we somehow managed to trade up at get Teddy. A guy I though we had no shot at. Never felt this staff would have wanted Johnny Football, so I was confident Carr was our less than splashy pick.

Don't get me wrong I was all over the Teddy pick, but I started pining the other way last year for Carr. The saving grace was always feeling like well our guy is smarter. Well Carr looks like a young Farve to me and not just because he wears #4. The team that should truly be ashamed of themselves for not taking Carr is Houston, in my opinion. Sitting there with the first pick of round 2 when many mocks had Carr going in the teens the week leading up to the draft.

Derek Carr is for real. You have to be for real to overcome all those penalties and throw for 500 yards 4 tds and no picks. Are you friggin kidding me?!?! That was the game I watched front to back yesterday and I have never been a Raider fan. I picked them to be a playoff team this year. I also picked them to lose in Tampa in the picks pool because they were 4-0 on road going in. No way could they go 5-0. I was watching that game rooting against them and felt from the 3rd quarter on that no matter what happened the Raiders were going to find a way to win. Winston seemed to run out of gas and ability in the second half. Carr looks like Farve 1997 and the game is never over if he has the ball. Carr can move that team 50 yards in 2 plays in like 10 seconds at any given moment.

< Message edited by Tim Cady -- 10/31/2016 1:35:26 PM >

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 1578
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 10/31/2016 1:49:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Carr lost 70+ Yards to penalty call-backs yesterday, plus a 50+ yarder that was dropped.
Would have easily broken the all-tme yardage in a game record.
The Mad Bomber offense has returned!
Have always loved DelRio
He and my third favorite team are a perfect match.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1579
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 10/31/2016 1:59:27 PM   
Tim Cady

Yes, the last 10 years of Al's life I felt the Raiders were truly a Black Hole for players. That team is so dare I say, Likeable, remember I am a long time Raider hater. With the exception of the Immaculate Deception. Only team I hated more in the 70's was Rooney's Steelers. Talk about a franchise who has won 6 Super Bowls on the backs of the Officials! Terry Bradshaw worst Hall of Fame Quarterback ever!

Post #: 1580
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/1/2016 11:28:24 AM   
SoMnFan

Percy Harvin reportedly coming out of retirement to sign with Bills

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1581
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/1/2016 5:07:50 PM   
Tim Cady

Over under 2 games played. What will you take?

Post #: 1582
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/1/2016 5:10:55 PM   
SoMnFan

Way underrrrr

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1583
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/1/2016 8:56:36 PM   
thebigo

I wonder how Carr would be faring behind our OL? Can you say big brother?
Post #: 1584
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/10/2016 6:41:23 PM   
JC2015

Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor (groin) was a full practice participant once again Thursday. That's two days in a row. After a four-week absence, Chancellor appears ready to make his return Sunday night against the New England Patriots.

If the Vikings don't make the playoffs this year Zimmer and Spielman should be gone
Post #: 1585
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/11/2016 5:07:39 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor (groin) was a full practice participant once again Thursday. That's two days in a row. After a four-week absence, Chancellor appears ready to make his return Sunday night against the New England Patriots.

That will be a game worth watching

Post #: 1586
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/11/2016 5:09:04 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

I wonder how Carr would be faring behind our OL? Can you say big brother?

Can't help but regret not drafting Carr. Although you make a solid point.

Musgrat really has that offense hitting on all eight cylinders

Post #: 1587
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/12/2016 4:09:04 PM   
JC2015

C.J. Prosise appears set to start for Seahawks at tailback against Patriots with Christine Michael nursing hamstring injury

If the Vikings don't make the playoffs this year Zimmer and Spielman should be gone
Post #: 1588
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/14/2016 2:19:09 PM   
JC2015

quote:

In a brutal scheduling quirk, the NFL had the Seahawks play Monday night at home, travel 2,687 air miles to New England on Friday, and play the best team in football on Sunday—and the Patriots were as well-rested as you can be, coming off a bye week. The Seahawks’ defense had been worn down, having played 90, 72 and 82 snaps, respectively, in a three-game, 16-day span coming into Foxboro Sunday night. Seattle came back from deficits of 7-0, 14-12, 21-19 and 24-22 to win.

Five times, by my count (including the final points of the night, a 15-yard strike floated into Baldwin’s hands for a touchdown), Wilson dropped a perfecto into the hands of his receivers at least 15 yards downfield. The man’s got a gift, and I don’t care if he was the 75th pick in the draft four years ago, or that he’s 5'11". Russell Wilson’s in the conversation for best quarterback in football. Today. This game he played, against the rested best team in the NFL, bordered on a mensa level.

Wilson and Brady have played three times now. Seattle, 24-23, in 2012, with Brady running out of time and downs in the final minute. New England, 28-24, in the Super Bowl, decided in the final minute. And now Seattle, 31-24, decided in the final minute, in a game that left those who stayed up to watch begging for a February rematch.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/14/nfl-week-10-seahawks-cowboys-broncos-peter-king

< Message edited by JC2015 -- 11/14/2016 2:20:43 PM >

Post #: 1589
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/14/2016 3:03:54 PM   
David Levine

It’s simply very hard to be better at any position in football than Adam Vinatieri is at placekicking—and the man is 43.

Since he turned 41 on Dec. 28, 2013, Vinatieri has missed three field goals. He’s 77 of 80, for a geezerhood accuracy rate of 96.3 percent. I repeat: 77 of 80, over three years.

I’m not one to be a fanboy for Hall of Fame players before their time, but I cannot fathom a way Vinatieri will not make it into Canton the first time he’s eligible.

-Peter King
Post #: 1590
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/14/2016 8:09:52 PM   
JTC2017

Bills K wife says she wants to castrate Richard Sherman

This is the bullshit that Trump has stirred up

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/08/wife-of-bills-kicker-wants-to-castrate-richard-sherman/

2016 Vikings Defense: "You can't throw passes from your ass!"
Post #: 1591
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/17/2016 11:14:01 AM   
JC2015

Take Osweiler, and begin with the caveats that a) he could still improve (it's hard to imagine him getting worse), and b) the Texans could well reach the playoffs this season. Osweiler will cost the Texans $19 million next season and cannot really be cut. Releasing him before his $21 million 2018 season would still cost the Texans $6 million in dead money. So the Texans are at the start of a three-year commitment to a young veteran quarterback who currently appears incapable of accurately hitting a calm lake with a boat oar.

If Osweiler was playing to his price tag, the Texans would be in the Super Bowl conversation right now. Instead, bobbing along near the top of the AFC South, getting pushed around by the big boys and squandering the best years of Watt, DeAndre Hopkins and many others now looks like an extended sentence.

Flacco is a much better quarterback than Osweiler, but with a much worse contract: a reverse mortgage worthy of The Big Short, with cap figures in the mid-$20 million range and significant dead-money penalties stretching through 2020. The difference between Peak Flacco and Trough Flacco has never been more than about one interception per month, so the Ravens are getting guaranteed non-horrendous quarterbacking at super-premium prices, with minuscule potential for truly great quarterbacking for the next several seasons.

Cutler's seven-year, $127 million 2013 extension was a watershed moment in bad contract history. Nothing like it will ever be structured again. The Bears may be done paying it soon, but they won't be done paying for it until the roster (and perhaps football operation) is churned over again for the second time since the deal was signed.

And then there's Fitzpatrick. Give the Jets credit for not getting fooled into a long-term deal after his 31-touchdown 2015 mirage. But pity them for their half-measured-yet-pricey approach to the most important position on the field. The Jets will eat a $5 million cap proration fee on Fitzpatrick next year while sorting among their second-tier quasi-prospects. They could have gotten the same results this season by starting Geno Smith, Bryce Petty or Cheap Journeyman X and banking the leftover cap space toward a real rebuilding plan.

READ MORE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2674584-expensive-quarterback-mistakes-in-the-nfl-and-how-to-avoid-them?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Post #: 1592
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/17/2016 7:07:18 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

It’s simply very hard to be better at any position in football than Adam Vinatieri is at placekicking—and the man is 43.

Since he turned 41 on Dec. 28, 2013, Vinatieri has missed three field goals. He’s 77 of 80, for a geezerhood accuracy rate of 96.3 percent. I repeat: 77 of 80, over three years.

I’m not one to be a fanboy for Hall of Fame players before their time, but I cannot fathom a way Vinatieri will not make it into Canton the first time he’s eligible.

-Peter King

I didn't know they allowed kickers or punters into the HOF

Post #: 1593
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/21/2016 6:31:49 AM   
JTC2017

Werder ✔ @Edwerderespn
Jared Goff’s longest completion travelled 7 yards, and he finished just 5-of-11 for 64 yards on passes thrown more than 5 yards downfield.
9:47 PM - 20 Nov 2016

Post #: 1594
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/21/2016 6:40:17 AM   
JTC2017

Seattle Seahawks (7-2-1)

Thomas Rawls returned from a fibula injury vs. the Eagles, and he will now be counted on to carry the Seahawks' rushing attack going forward. That's because C.J. Prosise suffered a scapula injury and will be "out for a while," according to coach Pete Carroll. Rawls carried 14 times for 57 yards Sunday in his first action since Week 2. Last week, the Seahawks waived Christine Michael, and on Sunday, running back Troymaine Pope suffered a high ankle sprain against the Eagles. The good news for the Seahawks: They ran for a season-high 152 yards vs. the Eagles. Carroll wants balance, and even though the Seahawks' strength has been the passing attack, Rawls will play a big role down the stretch. -- Sheil Kapadia

Post #: 1595
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/21/2016 9:05:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: JTC2017

Werder ✔ @Edwerderespn
Jared Goff’s longest completion travelled 7 yards, and he finished just 5-of-11 for 64 yards on passes thrown more than 5 yards downfield.
9:47 PM - 20 Nov 2016

FIRST OVERALL PICK.

And reason number one why the Rams will continue to suck in perpetuity.

Only the Browns can screw up the draft better.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1596
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/21/2016 11:07:01 AM   
JC2015

I heard one NFL "insider" last week basically say that Goff was dumb as dirt. He said Goff didn't realize that the sun rose in the east and set in the west!

I was like holy shit!

Post #: 1597
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/21/2016 11:11:52 AM   
David Levine

quote:

I heard one NFL "insider" last week basically say that Goff was dumb as dirt. He said Goff didn't realize that the sun rose in the east and set in the west!

I was like holy shit!

Its way too early (for both guys), but this feels like we might be seeing what would've happened if Indy chose Leaf...
Post #: 1598
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/21/2016 12:16:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

I was like holy shit!

Well in his defense it's not like he was born and raised in Cali. What's that you say???
Post #: 1599
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 11/22/2016 1:42:48 AM   
SoMnFan

The Raiders are 8-2, their best 10-game start since 2001. They've won 4 straight games for the first time since 2002.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1600
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode