Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 6:43:40 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

Can we put this thread on lockdown until the Twins are officially eliminated from playoff contention?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4801
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 7:20:20 PM   
McMurfy

delete

< Message edited by McMurfy -- 8/8/2017 7:22:54 PM >

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4802
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 7:23:28 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Because I pretty much disagree with you on everything(Skilz), I googled Top NFL GMs
and the first 5 lists had him at 7, 13, 16,14, and 14.

I don't have time to dig deeper than that, but I think his rating between 10-15 is more accurate than top 6 or 7.

First off, I'll take that as a compliment. . I could care less what some national rankings have; a lot of that is on reputation and relationships, not facts. There have been others of late that have studied, for instance, actual draft results over time. He's been in the top 5-6 if I remember right; maybe even top 3. That to me is a GM's biggest job.

He's not perfect, but he's been a very good GM overall IMO. And I'm not sure there's a better GM in football at draft manuevering.

Again, name me 6 GM's that have added more talent to their roster than Spielman has since he took over fully a few years ago (the only fair way to do it since we don't know who did what before that). I'm pretty confident you won't be able to do it.

But Scott is right too; at the end of the day, you gotta get the trophy. Hopefully he gets one soon.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Because I pretty much disagree with you on everything(Skilz), I googled Top NFL GMs
and the first 5 lists had him at 7, 13, 16,14, and 14.

I don't have time to dig deeper than that, but I think his rating between 10-15 is more accurate than top 6 or 7.

First off, I'll take that as a compliment. . I could care less what some national rankings have; a lot of that is on reputation and relationships, not facts. There have been others of late that have studied, for instance, actual draft results over time. He's been in the top 5-6 if I remember right; maybe even top 3. That to me is a GM's biggest job.

He's not perfect, but he's been a very good GM overall IMO. And I'm not sure there's a better GM in football at draft manuevering.

Again, name me 6 GM's that have added more talent to their roster than Spielman has since he took over fully a few years ago (the only fair way to do it since we don't know who did what before that). I'm pretty confident you won't be able to do it.

But Scott is right too; at the end of the day, you gotta get the trophy. Hopefully he gets one soon.
[/quote

First off, it's couldn't care less.
Next Up, you always move the finish line.
Originally it was find me 5 or 6 better GMs than Spielman.

NOW, it's find me 5 or 6 GMs that have added more talent in the past few years than Spielman.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4803
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 10:14:59 PM   
djskillz

Not moving anything. That's a GM's job to me; said that from the beginning. I don't know a better way to measure "best GM" than that. "Wins" or something like that is kind of a BS way to do it, because you don't know how much is on coaching, etc. Making the roster the best you can make it is unquestionably the GM's main job.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 4804
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 11:08:18 PM   
JT2

Some good, sneaky Viking talk in here. Sometimes I forget to peek in.

Jesser has been hitting HR's. Dustin followed with a Mauer/Grossman BB, then attempted to make it more meaningful than the HR.

I pride myself on being objective, and fully aware of any bias I may have. I do think Spielman has been playing catch-up his entire FO career. I think he is brilliant.... at keeping a job. I give him credit for that. As a fan of the team, I don't like it.

So many excuses. Not "fully in charge". One question, who is the best QB Spielman has ever (fully in charge, or involved) drafted?

Spielman has been chasing the game.

I think his best move as a GM (wait, was he fully in charge, or was it somebody else?) was trading Harvin. And I liked Harvin.

Any thoughts on Spielman's desire to draft Manziel?
Post #: 4805
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 12:50:40 AM   
David Levine

quote:

And I'm not sure there's a better GM in football at draft manuevering.

I think its gone from a strength to a bit of a weird obsession with him. He seems more focused on how many picks he can get and less on who is available at each pick.
Post #: 4806
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 12:51:21 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Jesser has been hitting HR's. Dustin followed with a Mauer/Grossman BB, then attempted to make it more meaningful than the HR.

I pride myself on being objective, and fully aware of any bias I may have. I do think Spielman has been playing catch-up his entire FO career. I think he is brilliant.... at keeping a job. I give him credit for that. As a fan of the team, I don't like it.

So many excuses. Not "fully in charge". One question, who is the best QB Spielman has ever (fully in charge, or involved) drafted?

I think his best move as a GM (wait, was he fully in charge, or was it somebody else?) was trading Harvin. And I liked Harvin.

Dead on.
Post #: 4807
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 4:16:37 AM   
Sandman

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

That's always been my beef with RS - BTW.

This isn't an anomaly. It's what he does. He ignores a position for far too long and then throws a bunch of shit against the wall hoping some of it will stick. Think about it:

LB
QB
Oline
now - WR

I don't know that I can agree, other than OL. I think a lot of it has to be about syncing up with your coaching. Zimmer focuses on/relies on LB's, so since he's been here they've been a big focus. WR's we're not great, but we're not exactly bottom of the league either at this point, and trending up. And QB, I really don't know what he could have done different than he has the last few years. Good QB's don't grow on trees. And we've never been a bad enough franchise (ie #1-3 pick level) to get a good shot at a franchise guy the typical route. I still believe Teddy can be that, but I'm also very happy with Sam. I think that was a brilliant trade, despite the naysayers.

Now OL, I totally agree. Spielman is far from perfect, but overall, I'm not sure there are 5-6 GM's in the NFL that are better than Spielman. Since he "fully" took over, which is the only fair way to judge him, name me 5-6 teams in the NFL that have added more talent to their roster than us. That's a GM's main job IMO. If the Twins had a GM as good as Spielman the last 10+ years we'd have at least one more WS title IMO.

Well if you look at overall results he'd have to be ranked one of the worst. It doesn't matter if you're above average at many positions if you're league worst on the offensive line. And until this year, he's completely ignored the offensive line his entire tenure. He ruined a promising 2016 because of his belief he could fill his offensive line with spare parts.

The offensive line has been a disaster his entire tenure. We can hate on Ponder all we want, but the fact is we'll never know if he could have been good, because he was running for his life from day one. The fact he's done nothing since he left is pretty irrelevant considering he was probably already scarred for life. David Carr syndrome.

< Message edited by Sandman -- 8/9/2017 4:30:42 AM >
Post #: 4808
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 4:28:33 AM   
Sandman

Could have survived annually having the worst receivers in the league had he atleast addressed the offensive line. Could really care less about his wheelings and dealings and his supposed ability to "assemble talent" when year after year he runs out putrid offensive linemen and wide receivers. If you judge him in wins and losses, he's easily bottom half of gm's.
Post #: 4809
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 7:29:07 AM   
Jeff Jesser

That's a great point that I failed to mention. Not only shitty WR's but a shitty Oline. No QB could get past that. I never liked Ponder but was hopeful that he could do something until the day he wound up for a hail may, standing around the 50, and it landed around the 13

I laughed, then literally almost cried.
Post #: 4810
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 11:12:19 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Personally I think overall the drafts have been very good ever since he's been a part of the organization. I just don't think it's fair to fully evaluate (positive or negative) while we had the "triangle of authority" crap. Now he's unquestioned as the GM the last few years, so I think that's what is fair to evaluate.

As for the QB, I'd say Teddy was a very good pick. We don't know if he actually wanted Manziel or not. But he ended up with Teddy, late. Just awful luck the injury, but he also recovered from that the best he could possibly could with the Bradford trade, short of trading for Phillip Rivers (which wasn't going to happen). I'd counter that he hasn't really been in a position to take a good QB other than Teddy (or Carr, who many of us wanted). You can argue Ponder, but it's not like he "missed" on anyone in that one either. We just haven't been a bad enough team to get the "high pick, franchise" QB.

I think he has made mistakes (OL being the most glaring) like all GM's have. But I also think he's made strides to correct them. And I'd still put him in the top 5-7 of all GM's. I think we have a tendency to have a microscopic lense when it's our team in terms of looking at flaws vs. what other teams have. Again, I'm all ears for 6-7 GM's that have added more talent to their roster than Spielman in the last 5 years (he was named GM in 2012). I'm actually not sure there's more than 3.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/9/2017 11:14:36 AM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 4811
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 11:13:26 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

Could have survived annually having the worst receivers in the league had he atleast addressed the offensive line. Could really care less about his wheelings and dealings and his supposed ability to "assemble talent" when year after year he runs out putrid offensive linemen and wide receivers. If you judge him in wins and losses, he's easily bottom half of gm's.

This is also not true, at all.

Post #: 4812
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 12:29:31 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

That's a great point that I failed to mention. Not only shitty WR's but a shitty Oline. No QB could get past that. I never liked Ponder but was hopeful that he could do something until the day he wound up for a hail may, standing around the 50, and it landed around the 13

Life changed for me that day as well.
Post #: 4813
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 1:13:49 PM   
Phil Riewer

Hypothetical #1:
Would Heniecke been given a chance at the starter's spot if he hadn't judu kicked a door?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4814
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 2:32:59 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Life changed for me that day as well.

Was living in Texas that year. He was from there and I got ribbed all the time. I dreaded going to work that day and was right. It was a brutal day.
Post #: 4815
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 2:35:21 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Hypothetical #1:
Would Heniecke been given a chance at the starter's spot if he hadn't judu kicked a door?

It's an interesting question. It would have been he versus Hill and nothing else. I would imagine they would have still brought in another vet (who is the question).
Post #: 4816
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 2:35:58 PM   
SoMnFan

Might have been the most shocking reveal of lack-of-ability I have ever seen in a supposedly capable pro athlete.
It put his career into perfect perspective at that moment.
Post #: 4817
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 2:39:35 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Hypothetical #1:

It's an interesting question. It would have been he versus Hill and nothing else. I would imagine they would have still brought in another vet (who is the question).

Ya. I think he almost certainly would have been ahead of Hill on the depth chart, but I still bet they make the trade. Sounds like he's a virtual lock at this point for the #2 job this year as well.

Post #: 4818
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 2:49:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Might have been the most shocking reveal of lack-of-ability I have ever seen in a supposedly capable pro athlete.
It put his career into perfect perspective at that moment.

Yeah, it was shocking. It's about the best I can point it. It would have been understandable if he was getting hit. He had a full windup and that's was what he had.

Cam puts that thing on a rope, in to the endzone with 3 guys pulling him down.
Post #: 4819
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2017 2:56:05 PM   
djskillz

One of the worst sports experiences of my life was going to Lambeau Teddy's rookie year and being forced to watch Ponder play in his place. A 42-10 drubbing in the rain. Amongst Packers fans. Uggh.

Post #: 4820
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/11/2017 1:34:27 PM   
SoMnFan

Did no one talk to this jackwagon about "becoming a pro 101"?

One preseason game into his NFL career, Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette might think he has it all figured out.

"It's a lot slower than I really thought," Fournette told NFL.com after the Jaguars' 31-24 victory over the New England Patriots on Thursday night. "That's how I've been since I first got into the NFL. A lot of people were like, 'It's going to be fast.' But by me playing in the SEC, that kind of helped me a lot.

"I think, to me, it was really easy."

Fournette, the No. 4 overall pick in the draft out of LSU, rushed for 31 yards on nine carries and scored on a 1-yard touchdown run.

"I've had pressure my whole life," Fournette told NFL Network. "I'm built for it. No matter what the circumstances, I've never let the game get bigger than me and I've always stayed humble. That's No. 1."

Fournette has said during training camp that he has felt comfortable and, since players started wearing pads, things seemed slower. "You're reading your blocks," he said earlier this month, "and the play is coming to you."

He told NFL.com after Thursday's game that he thinks he could put together a rookie season similar to what Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott had in 2016.

Elliott led the NFL in rushing with 1,631 yards on 322 carries -- the third-highest yardage total for a rookie rusher in NFL history and the third-most attempts by a rookie since 2000. Only LaDainian Tomlinson (339 in 2001) and Alfred Morris (335 in 2012) had more carries.

"Yeah, I think so," Fournette said. "... I'm a confident guy, and I try to give my offensive line confidence too. You have to feel like you can't be stopped."
Post #: 4821
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/11/2017 1:35:04 PM   
SoMnFan

"I've always stayed humble" .....................
Post #: 4822
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/11/2017 3:11:30 PM   
SoMnFan

Job security of every NFL coach ...
Rating 1-5
5 is the hottest seat
3 is lukewarm

Minnesota Vikings

Mike Zimmer: 3 (lukewarm seat)

The Vikings have one winning season and zero playoff victories in three years with Zimmer. There have been serious extenuating circumstances in both non-winning seasons, including Adrian Peterson's suspension in 2014 and Teddy Bridgewater's injury in 2016. But coaches are employed on a bottom-line basis. If 2017 bottoms out in disaster, it would be difficult to consider Zimmer's position secure. -- Kevin Seifert
Post #: 4823
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/14/2017 2:54:57 PM   
SoMnFan

What a little jackwagon
We get it .... you mad at us for being mad at you .... boo hoo

RENTON, Wash. – New Seahawks kicker Blair Walsh is intent on redeeming himself with the franchise that found itself the beneficiary of his most dramatic error.

Walsh missed a 27-yard field goal with less than 30 seconds remaining against Seattle in a frigid wild-card playoff game against the Vikings two seasons ago. Walsh yanked the kick wide left, allowing the Seahawks to survive for a 10-9 victory. After Walsh’s struggles continued into last season, the Vikings cut him loose after nine games. He’ll kick against the Vikings instead of for them when the teams play a preseason game Friday in Seattle.

"It just wasn’t fun,” Walsh said of his last year in Minnesota. “It wasn’t fun trying to work through it and get better. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to finish out the year. I thought I would be able to correct it, and I didn’t get that chance. But it’s all right. I’m happy with the place I’m in, and I wouldn’t change anything.”

Walsh had missed four of his 16 field goal attempts with the Vikings last season and four of 19 extra point tries before being let go.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks were looking to make their own change at kicker after Steven Hauschka missed 10 total kicks, with six kicks blocked, last season for Seattle.

“We are getting him at a time when he really has something to prove,” coach Pete Carroll said of Walsh. “He has been a tremendous worker for us, really diligent worker. He is a very good athlete, too. You can see he has soccer background in him and all that. He has a big leg though, too. We haven’t seen a ball pop up in the air like this in years. We are really excited about what he’s bringing in, and now it’s just about consistency.”

Walsh was named a first-team All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl in his rookie season with the Vikings in 2012. He converted 92 percent of his field goal tries and was perfect on extra points. He believes he can recapture that form with the Seahawks.

“I’ve been around the league for a while,” Walsh said. “I’ve been producing at a high level. That’s why I’m here right now in this situation. If that wasn’t the case, I wouldn’t have this opportunity to be the starting kicker of the Seahawks. So I’ve got to go out there and continue to earn it and make kicks in the preseason and just show them that I am who they think I am.”

Walsh has all the talent necessary to recapture his early success. He’s got a massive leg despite his smaller frame and has routinely cleared the top of the uprights from greater than 50 yards out in practice.

“He has a really strong leg, and it shows up in the field goal with the elevation he has and then in his kickoffs, too,” special teams coach Brian Schneider said. “He’s been kicking it 53 yards, over the net.”

Walsh said he was attracted by the environment of the Seahawks when looking for a place to sign in free agency. While stories of locker room turmoil swirled around the team all offseason, the winning culture and player-centric approach from the coaching staff enticed Walsh. He believes the change of scenery is a positive step toward recapturing his form.

“This team is genuine,” Walsh said. “It doesn’t seem like they change who they are if they go through a little bit of a rough patch or a losing streak, and I like that. Not that they go through many here. The moment you walk in the building you can just see why they’ve won so much here. It’s awesome to be a part of that, and it was something I was really excited to join.”

I guarantee you this, dude, your new team will "genuine-ly" be just as pissed off at you as we were, when you leave 'em hanging.
Don't kid yourself.
Ever body loves the little keeeeecker until he shanks a 27 yarder. Those kind that drunks can hit in frozen parking lots, with snowmobile boots on.
Post #: 4824
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/14/2017 2:55:57 PM   
SoMnFan

Yup, still bitter.
Will be for quite awhile.
Post #: 4825
Page:   <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode