Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 6/16/2017 11:15:30 AM   
David Levine

Bad news for Michael Floyd ... the Minnesota Vikings WR tested positive for alcohol during his house arrest this week, TMZ Sports has learned -- and it could mean jail time for the NFL star.

A rep for the Scottsdale City Court confirms ... Floyd's alcohol monitoring system flagged 5 events during June 11th and 12th. At least three of the events were described to us as "high alcohol tests."

Floyd is not supposed to have a single drop of booze while on house arrest, as part of the sentencing in his Arizona DUI arrest from Dec. 2016, when he was found passed out behind the wheel of his car.

As we previously reported, Floyd begged the court to remove his alcohol monitoring ankle bracelet because it would hinder him from playing football. The judge granted the request but ordered Floyd to undergo random breath tests.

A court rep tells us Floyd blamed the positive tests on Kombucha -- a fermented tea that contains a very low amount of alcohol. Typically, Kombucha contains equal or less alcohol than a non-alcoholic beer.

The issue for Floyd ... his alcohol tests all came back showing a B.A.C. of between .044 and .055, which would be hard to do on Kombucha alone. He also skipped one of his breath tests altogether.

If the court rules he violated the terms of his house arrest, Floyd could be ordered back to jail.

He's due back in court on June 26th. We reached out to Floyd's camp for comment. So far, no word back.
Post #: 4776
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 6/16/2017 11:29:26 AM   
SoMnFan

Holy Hell
Had no idea he was that deep into it
That's shocking and sad
Post #: 4777
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 6/16/2017 11:48:25 AM   
djskillz

Very sad. Always sad to see someone waste God-given talents. Especially for something as pointless as drugs/alcohol.

Never really liked that move. Always have liked his talent, but it was pretty clear he hadn't changed yet. Hopefully we move on and bring Decker back home.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 4778
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 6/16/2017 11:54:41 AM   
David Levine

2017-06-16 1:34 AM | Vikings PR
Vikings Statement Regarding Michael Floyd

We are aware of the situation involving Michael Floyd and are looking into the matter. We are still gathering facts and will withhold any further comment at this time.
Post #: 4779
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 6/16/2017 12:17:26 PM   
David Levine

Brian Murphy @murphPPress
#Vikings WR Michael Floyd on TMZ report: "Totally false. The whole thing is false. You can’t believe everything TMZ says."
10:08 AM - 16 Jun 2017

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
#Vikings WR Michael Floyd is due back in Scottsdale court on June 26 to explain the flagged test or tests, the court said.
9:46 AM - 16 Jun 2017
Post #: 4780
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 6/29/2017 11:47:24 AM   
twinsfan

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tom-brady-matt-ryan-ranking-every-nfl-teams-quarterback-situation-185432048.html

Vikes QB situation ranks 21st in the NFL.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4781
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 7/29/2017 8:21:53 PM   
SoMnFan

Feeling pretty good about where we are at going in.
I really feel fortunate to actually like our QB and most of the other players.
Going into the year hating them all, and hating our chances, can't be a whole lot of fun.
You'd think maybe you'd find a different team if you felt that way year after year after year after year.

Trubinsky fumbles three straight center snaps
Bortles throws 5 interceptions during their 7-on-7
And yet we have experts bitching night and day about Sam Bradford.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 7/29/2017 11:26:06 PM >
Post #: 4782
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 7/30/2017 6:42:05 AM   
Mr. Ed

IMO the offensive line is still too thin. Expect injuries with squat to back it up.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4783
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/4/2017 10:59:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

Yahoo has an article on Jim Plunkett

Taking 13 pills/day, battling numerous physical issues.

Says his life sucks.

Dang, 18 surgeries. Artificial knees and shoulder.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4784
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/4/2017 11:01:01 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Yahoo has an article on Jim Plunkett

Taking 13 pills/day, battling numerous physical issues.

Says his life sucks.

Dang, 18 surgeries. Artificial knees and shoulder.

One of my favorite non-Vikings.
Love that guy.
Incredible hardships in his life.
One tough s.o.b.
Post #: 4785
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/6/2017 10:12:51 PM   
SoMnFan

Still love this dude, and love how much he bothers some "experts".

MANKATO — The best nights of training camp, for Adam Thielen, were always the Saturday practices: The ones where fans packed the hill in the southeast end zone of Blakeslee Stadium as the sun descended behind the west bleachers.

These were the nights when the air crackled with possibility, when Thielen could again race down the field that made him — indeed, the one that’s been there for him long after college.

“Every time we play out here, it reminds me of the homecoming games we played in that stadium,” Thielen said. “How many memories we had and how many games we won in that stadium.”

Would this have happened anywhere else? Would a rookie camp tryout in, say, Houston have put Thielen on a path to first make a team’s practice squad, then its 53-man roster and eventually become its highest-paid receiver? Sure, it’s possible — and Thielen, as much of a self-made man as there is in the NFL, might have been the one to pull it off somewhere else. But even he isn’t so sure.

“If I was with a different team, no one would have had any idea who I was when I was a rookie,” he said. “Here, I had people who watched me in college. I had reporters that wanted the feel-good story.

“When you’re coming into training camp, there’s not a whole that is familiar. When you can grab something from it, it keeps you calm and helps you just play football.”

As the Vikings depart Minnesota State University this week, ending their 52nd and final training camp in Mankato, there’s likely no player who will have as heartfelt a goodbye as Thielen. He posted the second-most receptions in Minnesota State history, tying a school record with 74 catches as a senior while the Mavericks made a stirring NCAA Division II playoff run under interim head coach Aaron Keen in the wake of coach Todd Hoffner’s suspension.

Then, after turning a rookie camp tryout into a training camp roster spot, Thielen returned to his alma mater, beginning his NFL career on a stroke of good fortune that cast the fringe prospect as a camp protagonist.

“I can’t remember [anyone else in other training camps] that was a hometown hero kind of guy,” coach Mike Zimmer said.

Supportive fans cheered each one of the acrobatic catches that helped Thielen build momentum in the summer of 2013. Each day, Mankato-based reporters asked then-coach Leslie Frazier about Thielen’s progress, eliciting a string of plaudits for the receiver.

“At first, you kind of think it might be a bias,” said Claire Dau, the sports director for Mankato-based KEYC-TV. “You wonder if you’re blinded when you watch him on the field. You think that maybe you’re hyping it up in your head, and then each year, he progresses more and more.”

And by 2014, when Thielen was putting together another strong camp in an effort to make the roster after a year on the Vikings’ practice squad, he’d been given a catchy moniker: Mr. Mankato.

The name came from the first iteration of 1500 ESPN’s radio bit, looking for the player who would shine in training camp (and ostensibly burn out once the regular season arrived). But Thielen’s success, and his baked-in support at training camp, made him an enduring symbol for camp long shots.

“When I was early in my career, I really followed Twitter, seeing what people were saying about me,” Thielen said. “I definitely saw them talking about Mr. Mankato and all that. It was fun for me to have a little bit of extra support from outside people. I definitely helped me build confidence, that’s for sure.”

He was the Vikings’ leading receiver a year ago, and after signing a four-year, $22 million deal this spring, he’s now their highest-paid wideout. Thielen often returns to campus, and an adoring public, for the Mavericks’ spring game, or when the Vikings have a bye week. His wife, Caitlin, played soccer at Minnesota State; “They’re kind of Mankato’s power couple,” Dau said. And at Blakeslee Stadium in the fall, there are Thielen jerseys in two shades of purple and gold: his No. 9 from Minnesota State, and his No. 19 with the Vikings.

The days of Thielen himself on the Mankato fields, however, are about to end. He turned a four-year career into five summers of extra homecomings that became the backdrop for an unlikely rise to NFL renown.

Even if there would have been another path to this point for Thielen, it wouldn’t have been the same.

“I’m just fortunate that, looking back on it, those things kind of went my way early in camp,” he said, “because I think it could’ve easily gone the other way.”
Post #: 4786
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/6/2017 10:22:56 PM   
twinsfan

I wonder who will be Mr. Mankato this year? Isaac Fruechte?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4787
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/7/2017 7:51:13 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Great story but in this pass happy time of the NFL this is pretty disturbing:

He was the Vikings’ leading receiver a year ago, and after signing a four-year, $22 million deal this spring, he’s now their highest-paid wideout.

I know Zimm is trying to build a D powerhouse but damn. That is truly shocking.
Post #: 4788
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/7/2017 7:09:22 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Great story but in this pass happy time of the NFL this is pretty disturbing:

He was the Vikings’ leading receiver a year ago, and after signing a four-year, $22 million deal this spring, he’s now their highest-paid wideout.

I know Zimm is trying to build a D powerhouse but damn. That is truly shocking.

Yup, nobody loves that dude more than me, but even I don't want him to be our best or highest paid option in the pass game.
(as Boldin signs ANOTHER reasonable one year deal with someone else)
Post #: 4789
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 12:11:42 PM   
djskillz

I echo pretty much all of your guys' thoughts on Thielen. But I also don't worry about the money too much. That's mainly a function of timing re: the other young guys. For instance, Diggs' contract when he's eligible is going to blow Thielen's out of the water. I like Thielen a lot, but Diggs is our best WR IMO. And I still have high hopes/expectations for Treadwell that he will pass him within a year or so as well.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 4790
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 12:30:32 PM   
Jeff Jesser

To me it says more that we've severely neglected the position for far too long. Diggs, if he can stay healthly, is a baller. Tread is a massive question mark and Floyd was essentially a hail mary. Wright is JAG and Theilen is an overachiever.

Not really the way I would draw it up. Especially for a franchise that ran out a lineup of Moss/Carter/Reed
Post #: 4791
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 12:32:28 PM   
Jeff Jesser

That's always been my beef with RS - BTW.

This isn't an anomaly. It's what he does. He ignores a position for far too long and then throws a bunch of shit against the wall hoping some of it will stick. Think about it:

LB
QB
Oline
now - WR
Post #: 4792
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 1:21:33 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

That's always been my beef with RS - BTW.

This isn't an anomaly. It's what he does. He ignores a position for far too long and then throws a bunch of shit against the wall hoping some of it will stick. Think about it:

LB
QB
Oline
now - WR

I don't know that I can agree, other than OL. I think a lot of it has to be about syncing up with your coaching. Zimmer focuses on/relies on LB's, so since he's been here they've been a big focus. WR's we're not great, but we're not exactly bottom of the league either at this point, and trending up. And QB, I really don't know what he could have done different than he has the last few years. Good QB's don't grow on trees. And we've never been a bad enough franchise (ie #1-3 pick level) to get a good shot at a franchise guy the typical route. I still believe Teddy can be that, but I'm also very happy with Sam. I think that was a brilliant trade, despite the naysayers.

Now OL, I totally agree. Spielman is far from perfect, but overall, I'm not sure there are 5-6 GM's in the NFL that are better than Spielman. Since he "fully" took over, which is the only fair way to judge him, name me 5-6 teams in the NFL that have added more talent to their roster than us. That's a GM's main job IMO. If the Twins had a GM as good as Spielman the last 10+ years we'd have at least one more WS title IMO.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/8/2017 1:25:15 PM >

Post #: 4793
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 2:43:17 PM   
Jeff Jesser

If it were more on the coaches why did our Dbacks suck so bad with Frazier at the helm?

I'll agree that he has poured resources at QB but they have been bad choices, IMO.

As far as WR goes. The last 5 years has been:

2011- Berrian, Camirillo, Arceneaux, Aromashodu, Burton, Havin, Jenkins - 1 guy would have made a real roster ****POSSIBLY Berrian too

2012- Aromashodu, Burton, Childs, Havin, Jenkins, Simpson, Wright - 1 guy would have made a real roster *****POSSIBLY Simpson too

2013 - Jennings, Patterson, Simpson, Rodney Smith (who?), Wright- not a single guy that would make a starter on a real roster (Jennings too old, Simpson proven to be a 1 play wonder, Patterson/Wright not proven)

2014 - Jennings, Patterson, Smith, Theilen, Wright - worst collection of WR's in the league

2015 - Diggs, Johnson, Patterson, Theilen, Wallace, Wright - 1 legit WR, 2 late round picks, a KR, a massive bust and an undrafted FA

2016 - Diggs, Fruechte, Johnson, Theilen, Patterson, Wright - We added a Gopher (we're the State of Hockey, not receiving)
Post #: 4794
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 2:50:17 PM   
McMurfy

Because I pretty much disagree with you on everything(Skilz), I googled Top NFL GMs
and the first 5 lists had him at 7, 13, 16,14, and 14.

I don't have time to dig deeper than that, but I think his rating between 10-15 is more accurate than top 6 or 7.

< Message edited by McMurfy -- 8/8/2017 3:45:22 PM >

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4795
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 2:55:51 PM   
TJSweens

And we are about to find out why at least 7 of the GMs listed ahead of him are wrong.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4796
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 3:01:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't mind RS, to be honest. I was not happy with the Bradford trade (never been a Bradford guy) but I totally understood it. I just think he ignores positions for far too long.
Post #: 4797
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 3:12:53 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Because I pretty much disagree with you on everything, I googled Top NFL GMs

I don't have time to dig deeper than that, but I think his rating between 10-15 is more accurate than top 6 or 7.

I honestly don't give a crap how some publication rates our GM, Front Office, Head Coach, Coaching staff, Offense, Defense, rookies, Offseason etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Grades and ratings don't mean shit.

At the end of the NFL season when one team hoists the trophy in triumph we will know which GM, Front Office, Head Coach, Coaching staff, Offense, Defense, rookies, Offseason etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc was the best.

Every other team failed.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4798
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 3:44:30 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Because I pretty much disagree with you on everything, I googled Top NFL GMs

I honestly don't give a crap how some publication rates our GM, Front Office, Head Coach, Coaching staff, Offense, Defense, rookies, Offseason etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Grades and ratings don't mean shit.

At the end of the NFL season when one team hoists the trophy in triumph we will know which GM, Front Office, Head Coach, Coaching staff, Offense, Defense, rookies, Offseason etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc was the best.

Every other team failed.

Agreed

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4799
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/8/2017 5:10:08 PM   
djskillz

quote:

Because I pretty much disagree with you on everything(Skilz), I googled Top NFL GMs

First off, I'll take that as a compliment. . I could care less what some national rankings have; a lot of that is on reputation and relationships, not facts. There have been others of late that have studied, for instance, actual draft results over time. He's been in the top 5-6 if I remember right; maybe even top 3. That to me is a GM's biggest job.

He's not perfect, but he's been a very good GM overall IMO. And I'm not sure there's a better GM in football at draft manuevering.

Again, name me 6 GM's that have added more talent to their roster than Spielman has since he took over fully a few years ago (the only fair way to do it since we don't know who did what before that). I'm pretty confident you won't be able to do it.

But Scott is right too; at the end of the day, you gotta get the trophy. Hopefully he gets one soon.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/8/2017 5:15:08 PM >

Post #: 4800
Page:   <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  190 191 [192] 193 194   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode