Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  351 352 [353] 354 355   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 12/29/2020 3:26:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

The ont good thing about GB is they are always one tiny step away from a total collapse, when AAron gets upset
He turns on them all quick, when he fails.
Alls great, when they do as he says and he looks good.
But slip up and make him look bad? YOU in trouble.

Last post before I puke. Game could still go either way. It was early. Titans block a FG and return to GB's 18. Penalty, offside. Even the "booth ref" they employ every game (forget who this one was) said after commercial...."There wasn't a single Titan offside there, not sure what they saw".

It's unwatchable.

Thumbnail Image

Ref had a bad angle on it

Can't fault him. His shoe and the chalk line are the exact same color. White.
Post #: 8801
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 12/29/2020 4:38:31 PM   
Mr. Ed

Zimmer blames himself...

Last week, Mike Zimmer called the Vikings’ defense the “worst one I’ve ever had.” On Monday, he shouldered some of the blame.

The Saints walloped the Vikings 52-33 last Friday in New Orleans to end Minnesota’s slim chances of squeezing into the playoffs. The Vikings gave up the most points in franchise history since 1963. And they allowed 583 yards, the most in Zimmer’s seven seasons as head coach.

“I think we had 17 missed tackles,” Zimmer said Monday. “We didn’t do a good enough job, I didn’t do a good enough job getting those young kids ready to play. … They can play way better than what they played, and I put that on me more so than on the players. That’s my job, and I need to get it done better.”

Zimmer has gained a reputation as one of the NFL’s top defensive minds while spending 21 of his 27 seasons in the NFL as a coordinator or a head coach. But his defense, not helped by numerous injuries and many rookies having to play, has fallen apart this season.

The Vikings (6-9) are No. 28 in the NFL in scoring defense and No. 27 in total defense. In Zimmer’s first six seasons, their lowest rankings were No. 11 in scoring and No. 14 in total defense.

The Vikings have allowed 440 points this season, already the fifth most in team history. If they give up 10 or more in Sunday’s season finale at Detroit, it would be at least their third most ever allowed.

Before the season, Zimmer told the NFL Network he’s “never had a bad defense.” Asked about that comment after Friday’s game, he said, “Yeah, this is a bad defense. Worst one I’ve ever had.”

After that game, Zimmer bemoaned the defense’s second straight poor performance. Minnesota gave up 397 yards in a 33-27 loss to Chicago in the Dec. 20 home finale.

Now, the Vikings head to Detroit on Sunday hoping to avoid finishing with a four-game losing streak.

“The biggest thing is when you get your nose rubbed in it, you’ve got to come out and you’ve got to come back and fight,” Zimmer said. “It’s going to show the personality of these players and what they have to do.”

One key could be which injured defensive players are available against the Lions. Linebacker Erin Kendricks (calf) has missed the past four games, linebackers Troy Dye (concussion/hamstring) and Todd Davis (ribs) and defensive end Jalyn Holmes (groin) sat out at New Orleans, and Cameron Dantzler (undisclosed injury) did not play in the fourth quarter against the Saints.

In addition to Kendricks, who was first-team all-pro in 2019, missing all four games in December, the Vikings have been without two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Danielle Hunter all season and without four-time Pro Bowl linebacker Anthony Barr since Week 2.

Still, safety Harrison Smith, a nine-year veteran and Minnesota’s longest-tenured defensive player, said Monday the Vikings have underachieved.

“He’s had a lot of success with defenses in this league, so, as a player, you’ve got to take that stuff to heart and fix it no matter what the circumstances are,” Smith said of Zimmer’s comments last Friday. “But this is not how we want to play defense on the Vikings.”

Smith, whose five-year Pro Bowl run ended this season, also shouldered some blame. He said he “tackled poorly” against the Saints and that he could have done better this season working with Minnesota’s many young defensive players, which have included two rookie starters at cornerback, Dantzler and Jeff Gladney.

“When you’re working with a lot of new guys, the communication is a big thing,” Smith said. “I think I could have done a better job throughout this season, for sure.”

Although the Vikings won’t make the playoffs, they do have one game left to make a final impression. Zimmer obviously wants to finish the season with a much better showing than last week in New Orleans.

“We understand that wasn’t the game you want to be remembered with,” Zimmer said. “Let’s go out and let’s try to remember something good.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8802
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 12/29/2020 4:39:05 PM   
Mr. Ed

Rudolph on IR. C-YA and thanks

Some lineman who can't be worse than Samia signed off the practice squad.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8803
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 12/29/2020 4:53:25 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Rudolph on IR. C-YA and thanks

Some lineman who can't be worse than Samia signed off the practice squad.

I never say that anymore. Last time I did, I said Samia couldn't be worse than Elfline.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8804
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 12/30/2020 11:55:19 AM   
Mr. Ed

No Cook Sunday

His Dad died at age 46.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8805
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 12/30/2020 3:37:12 PM   
Trekgeekscott

Sad about Cook's father. His DAD was younger than me.

I feel older all the time.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8806
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:19:40 AM   
SoMnFan

Played out exactly like I thought yesterday
Even the "Lions get screwed by refs more than we do" edge
We have playmakers for sure, but wow, our D was as bad as it has ever been
Simply awful
STs needs a complete overhaul as well

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8807
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:25:36 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Simply awful

Bailey had that resigned look of "dead man walking" after the missed FG. Even moreso after the missed PAT.

Kind of like me on the tee box. No idea which way the ball is going to go, happy when it goes straight.

With a meh line, move up and down the field. Skill positions are loaded. yeah, could used a third WR, but creative coaching could do well with 2 TE's that can run in third down sets. Travis Kelce doesn't come out until he's gassed. Not saying Conklin/Smith are at that level, but they run after the catch >>>>>Rudolph/the old school TE guys.

Yeah D is a dumpster fire. Get a couple guys back won't be as hot of a fire, but Harris is a goner. Smith is on the downhill trek too. The line is a real weakness, LBs outside of Kendricks are nothing special.

And then there's the middle of the o-line, and their obvious issues. And cap jail.

Purgatory was the description in the game thread. Yep.

not bad enough to clean house. Middle of the road.
Fun.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8808
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:34:33 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

That was just stunning to me.

The roughing the passer call on the Cousins sack is about as bad a call as I have ever seen in my life. It ranks right up there with the flags that get thrown when people breath too hard on Erin Rogers.

At least the Lions got back the TD that was taken away from them. They had to go to the replay booth to screw that one up.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8809
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:35:47 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Simply awful

DLine needs at least 3 new faces (Hunter, Wonnum, Pierce, Watts, Lynch and maybe Odenigbo are only keepers)

LBs probably set if you keep Barr. Dye needs a good off season but has the physical tools to be steady.

Safeties: Smith probably needs to restructure. Need to find one in draft and a vet who is serviceable.

Corners: Need to find a steady vet even if Hughes comes back healthy.

Offense: 2 Guards and a speed WR
Post #: 8810
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:44:02 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson
LBs probably set if you keep Barr. Dye needs a good off season but has the physical tools to be steady.

Safeties: Smith probably needs to restructure. Need to find one in draft and a vet who is serviceable.

Corners: Need to find a steady vet even if Hughes comes back healthy.

Offense: 2 Guards and a speed WR

1. I've actually come full circle to where I would keep Barr. We really miss him against the run.

2. No doubt Smith has lost half a step. Still good, but needs to restructure. Harris blew himself up.

3. The Vikings are the only team, so desperate at G that Dakota Dozier could start for a full season.

Post #: 8811
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:45:26 AM   
SoMnFan

Worst part is that our coach spent last night AGAIN ... using the injury excuse

Its a part of it, I get it
But a real D genius knows this group isn't good enough, even with all the injured parts
Same with Cousins, gave the ol Christian, "we're all good, we're just not getting breaks, we just have to show up and try hard"

These are NOT the things real leaders focus on, or say, outwardly.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8812
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:51:41 AM   
Mr. Ed

Philly catching heat for tanking.

How did you guys feel about winning or not? I didn't really care all that much. The W did nothing for them, the L would have helped them a couple spots.

Not that it matters all much if nothing changes in management.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8813
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:53:26 AM   
Mr. Ed

I would have preferred seeing someone that isn't Samia playing LG besides Dozier(as Sweens noted). Zero reason to keep playing him there. If you add a guy to the roster then don't even have him active for the game, what's the purpose?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8814
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 8:54:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

Playing Udoh or Hinton could have given them a little hint as to what to do. Now they have zero game tape.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8815
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 9:04:34 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Playing Udoh or Hinton could have given them a little hint as to what to do. Now they have zero game tape.

Zimm isn't super bright, but we already knew that.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 8816
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 9:06:52 AM   
bstinger

quote:

How did you guys feel about winning or not? I didn't really care all that much. The W did nothing for them, the L would have helped them a couple spots.

I thought it was pretty poor taste to put in that horribly unqualified backup QB in a close game with playoff implications. Obviously they have the right to do it, but for the integrity of the game, it wasn't good.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 8817
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 9:20:33 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

I thought it was pretty poor taste to put in that horribly unqualified backup QB in a close game with playoff implications. Obviously they have the right to do it, but for the integrity of the game, it wasn't good.

I liked how it drove the SNF crew crazy
That's Doug Pederson for ya
Tell him he can't, and he will.
Will probably get him some death threats from NY. He'll just laugh.

What he will probably say, and should ... is .... "you probably shouldn't be counting on us to win a game for you"
Me, personally?
I try to win every game, I never think about draft position or too much about future evaluation. That's just how I look at it.
Once that game starts, I'm playing the guys who give me the chance to win. Sudfeld was a white flag.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8818
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 9:25:05 AM   
TJSweens

I believe tanking is ineffective. You get a higher pick, but that gets more than offset by the fact that you reinforce a losing culture.

Post #: 8819
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 9:26:54 AM   
SoMnFan

Said it more succinctly than I did
Yep.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8820
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 9:32:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

"you probably shouldn't be counting on us to win a game for you"

Agreed

But yeah the losing culture thing I get. Pederson didn't help himself last night, and as you said, probably doesn't care.

Collinsworth says a lot of things that are hype and BS, like how great the Washington corners are. IF they're so great, how come they have a losing record.

But his bit at the end about what they did. Yeah, I agree with it.

Hurts looks to be a player. Am sure he was not real happy about sitting that part of the game out.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8821
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 9:47:29 AM   
ronhextall

If the Washington corners are good their defense would be top 4 in league.

Washington’s Dline is outstanding.
Post #: 8822
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 10:11:48 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

"you probably shouldn't be counting on us to win a game for you"

Agreed

But yeah the losing culture thing I get. Pederson didn't help himself last night, and as you said, probably doesn't care.

Collinsworth says a lot of things that are hype and BS, like how great the Washington corners are. IF they're so great, how come they have a losing record.

But his bit at the end about what they did. Yeah, I agree with it.

Hurts looks to be a player. Am sure he was not real happy about sitting that part of the game out.

Had to damage Hurts attitude/mood about his role there
Just a shitshow, really
The look on Hurts' face the final quarter was one of total confusion
Started, imo, with Wentz being in street clothes right from the start.
Just a mixed-message mess there at this point.
After looking like they had it all together, what ... 2-3 short years ago?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8823
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 10:18:03 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

If the Washington corners are good their defense would be top 4 in league.

Washington’s Dline is outstanding.

They get after it
All #1s, weren't they?
You just have to put heat on in today's game
No pressure on the QB, means you will get ate alive by most opponents offenses.

Its like when they Twins used to put pressure on their pitchers to be perfect, because they wouldn't improve their offense.
Shits all related. Some management gets that. Some don't.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8824
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 1/4/2021 10:51:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

Lance Lynn bites the dust in San Diego

Marrone was canned earlier

Gase yesterday

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8825
Page:   <<   < prev  351 352 [353] 354 355   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  351 352 [353] 354 355   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode