Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Former Twins News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Former Twins News - 6/28/2016 4:40:18 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Brewers have designated outfielder Alex Presley for assignment, per a club announcement. Taking his place on the roster is utilityman Jake Elmore, whose contract was purchased by Milwaukee.

Presley, 30, has bounced around quite a bit in recent years. He got a chance with the Brewers, but was only able to post a .198/.271/.293 batting line in 129 plate appearances.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 951
RE: Former Twins News - 7/2/2016 6:57:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

Selling was never in the plans for the Pirates, but the club increasingly looks to be in a tough spot — in no small part due to the struggles of lefty Francisco Liriano, who owns a 5.33 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 5.9 BB/9 on the year. Manager Clint Hurdle tells John Perrotto of the Beaver County Times that Liriano is still failing to command the ball with consistency. “Sometimes, it’s hard to pitch when you aren’t feeling the way you’ve felt when you’ve had success,” Hurdle said. “We’re going to continue to peel back the layers and try to push through this. We’ll continue to look at video. We’ll see if we can find some answers.” We have heard at least some suggestion that there’d be interest around the league in the talented lefty, who had turned in three-straight stellar campaigns heading into 2016. But he’s owed $13MM both this year and next, and surely any acquiring team would be looking for a buy-low opportunity.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 952
RE: Former Twins News - 7/7/2016 6:49:39 AM   
ewen21

Aaron Hicks is hitting .201 now. After a brief rally he is back to his old tricks and is batting .140 in his last 15 games.

It might not be long before the Yankees send him down to Wilkes-Barre

Time is not on Aaron Hicks’ side, it is as simple as that. Joe Girardi and the New York Yankees clearly have some love him, which is why he has been handed tremendous leeway for the duration of the season.

Even some fans have given the 26-year-old the benefit of the doubt. Evidently possessing some serious upside, the common defense continues to be that, “He needs consistent at-bats”.

He has never adapted to a lack of playing time that resulted in an .087 average in April, a .222 clip in May, and an unsatisfying .214 output in June. However, with Carlos Beltran ailing, increased at-bats within the past week, and an opportunity to thrive in a National League park, Hicks continues to struggle.

Perhaps he is not the asset the Yanks thought he could potentially be. A larger and more valid sample size is now becoming present and the 2008 first-round pick is simply not taking it by storm.

In fact, he has been in the starting lineup in each of the last six games and has proceeded to go 1-21 (.048) with one run batted in. Long story short: it does not take a brilliant baseball mind to understand his underperformance.

He is now getting the consistent at-bats. For the past week, Hicks has been an everyday player whether it be a left-hander on the mound or filling in for Beltran in right. In that week, he has been his general subpar self.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 953
RE: Former Twins News - 7/9/2016 6:39:14 AM   
ewen21

Yankee fans have been blasting Aaron Hicks. He is going to be minor league livestock real soon.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/09/rob-refsnyder-is-making-aaron-hicks-totally-useless/

Rob Refsnyder is making Aaron Hicks totally useless

CLEVELAND — When Aaron Hicks arrived from the Twins, the Yankees believed they were getting an above-average switch-hitting outfielder who would hurt left-handed pitching.

Now, with the All-Star break approaching Monday, Joe Girardi is using Rob Refsnyder over Hicks in right field.

“Obviously, the better he plays, the more he is going to play,” Girardi said of Refsnyder, who started in right for a second straight game Friday night in a 10-2 loss to the Indians at Progressive Field. “I am trotting him out, and he is getting pretty consistent at-bats. I want him to stay productive.”

Refsnyder has started five of the past seven games at three positions — right field, second base and first base. During that stretch, he is 3-for-15 (.200) with two RBIs. He went hitless against the Indians’ Corey Kluber on Friday. Overall, Refsnyder is hitting .286 (22-for-77) in 28 games.

Hicks has struggled from the start of the season and is batting .199 after striking out in his only at-bat Friday night. Against left-handers, he is hitting an anemic .151 (11-for-73).

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 954
RE: Former Twins News - 7/9/2016 7:40:49 PM   
Mr. Ed

Arcia 0-3 today, now 0-last 17

Escape while you can!
Post #: 955
RE: Former Twins News - 7/11/2016 6:34:16 AM   
Mr. Ed

Oswaldo Arcia is happy to be with the Rays but is still disappointed the Twins traded him, the outfielder tells Fangraphs’ David Laurila. “I don’t think I got the opportunity to show what I could really do,” Arcia said.
“I know the class of player that I am. I don’t know that I got the time to show that. You’re going to struggle — there are ups and downs in this game — and you’re going to make adjustments.
Everybody in this room is making adjustments every day.” Arcia also said he pressed too hard after being demoted to Triple-A last season, which didn’t help his path back to the bigs: “If you try to do too much, you’ll end up doing less.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 956
RE: Former Twins News - 7/15/2016 10:26:46 AM   
Mr. Ed

Joe Nathan made a relief appearance for @IowaCubs last night, and struck out two. He threw 11 pitches, eight strikes

Escape while you can!
Post #: 957
RE: Former Twins News - 7/15/2016 12:49:14 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Joe Nathan made a relief appearance for @IowaCubs last night, and struck out two. He threw 11 pitches, eight strikes

Go, Joe!
Post #: 958
RE: Former Twins News - 7/15/2016 1:17:24 PM   
Mr. Ed

Morneau is supposed to be activated for the Sox tonight.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 959
RE: Former Twins News - 7/15/2016 3:58:09 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Morneau is supposed to be activated for the Sox tonight.

Go, Jason!
Post #: 960
RE: Former Twins News - 7/15/2016 4:11:12 PM   
ewen21

Another article out of NY about Aaron Hicks:
http://nypost.com/2016/07/14/why-yankees-have-to-put-up-with-extremely-talented-aaron-hicks/
Giving up on Aaron Hicks isn’t an option for the Yankees.

The struggling outfielder is out of options and can’t be sent to the minor leagues to get regular playing time that could help him escape the season-long funk he has been in.

“He is obviously a talented player. He is out of options, so he has to figure it out at the big league level,’’ GM Brian Cashman said of the 26-year-old outfielder, who is batting .197 with three homers, 17 RBIs and a .562 OPS. “He is extremely talented. He has to get the ball in the air more. There have been a lot of groundball outs. We will see where he takes it, but we aren’t giving up on him.’’

Hicks has made 71 outs on the ground and 51 in the air, not including line drives.

When Hicks was acquired from the Twins for John Ryan Murphy, the Yankees were attracted to his ability to hit lefties, but he is batting an anemic .155 (11-for-71) with a .443 OPS against them.

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 961
RE: Former Twins News - 7/15/2016 4:23:05 PM   
ewen21

Another article on Hicks saying he is the worst player in the league at creating runs:
http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/07/yankees_aaron_hicks_awful_season_summed_up_in_1_st.html
We can measure baseball players hundreds of ways, but perhaps the best overall measurement for offense is how many runs a player is creating when he's at the plate. That is, how many runs—you know, those numbers on the scoreboard that determine games—has he contributed to his team in a season?

Yankees' outfielder Aaron Hicks is failing at this.

The 26-year-old switch-hitter who New York acquired in a trade last offseason is worst among all major league players with at least 200 plate appearances in 2016 at creating runs, having contributed just 10, according to Statspass.com. Indeed, of 237 eligible players, he's last, all while hitting .197, which is bottom 10

Glad we turned the page on him. Too bad JR Murphy turned out to be a bust

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 962
RE: Former Twins News - 7/19/2016 3:14:34 PM   
Mr. Ed

Fien-dog to the LAD DL

ERA 4.09 in 22 appearances...

not a surprise

Escape while you can!
Post #: 963
RE: Former Twins News - 7/19/2016 3:19:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

Morneau has started 1-9 with 2 k's for ChiSox

Escape while you can!
Post #: 964
RE: Former Twins News - 7/20/2016 7:14:00 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

Another article on Hicks saying he is the worst player in the league at creating runs:
http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/07/yankees_aaron_hicks_awful_season_summed_up_in_1_st.html
We can measure baseball players hundreds of ways, but perhaps the best overall measurement for offense is how many runs a player is creating when he's at the plate. That is, how many runs—you know, those numbers on the scoreboard that determine games—has he contributed to his team in a season?

The 26-year-old switch-hitter who New York acquired in a trade last offseason is worst among all major league players with at least 200 plate appearances in 2016 at creating runs, having contributed just 10, according to Statspass.com. Indeed, of 237 eligible players, he's last, all while hitting .197, which is bottom 10

We basically traded flotsam for Jestsom

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 965
RE: Former Twins News - 7/20/2016 3:22:44 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

We basically traded flotsam for Jestsom

Murphy sure has been bad, but there were plenty of fans upset with Hicks being traded. Several more who wanted to start both Hicks and Buxton in the same outfield. Could you imagine that? These are two of the least productive bats in the game.

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 966
RE: Former Twins News - 7/26/2016 9:31:21 PM   
Mr. Ed

Shock

Lohse DFA'd; easy money to suck in a couple of starts.

The 37-year-old Lohse made just two starts for the Rangers after signing a minor league deal, surrendering 13 runs on 15 hits and five walks with three strikeouts in 9 1/3 innings against the Twins and Angels. His minor league deal came with a base salary of $2MM, so he’ll receive the pro-rated version of that for his work with Texas, amounting to about $951K.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 967
RE: Former Twins News - 7/26/2016 9:33:36 PM   
Mr. Ed

Flat offense vs a bad team.

way to show up

Escape while you can!
Post #: 968
RE: Former Twins News - 7/27/2016 11:24:00 AM   
twinsfan

I watched Arcia pinch hit during last night's Rays game. He did not look good. Appears to be totally lost at the plate. He was sporting a new and very awkward stance.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 969
RE: Former Twins News - 7/27/2016 11:34:54 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I watched Arcia pinch hit during last night's Rays game. He did not look good. Appears to be totally lost at the plate. He was sporting a new and very awkward stance.

Shocking ..... Not
Post #: 970
RE: Former Twins News - 7/27/2016 11:42:35 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Shocking ..... Not

His jersey was also unbuttoned halfway down, with no undershirt. And his sleeves were extremely short and tight. He looked totally pimping.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 971
RE: Former Twins News - 7/27/2016 2:01:24 PM   
SoMnFan

He always knew how to "look" like a stud.
Won't go well when his little bro shoots past him.
It is his little bro, isn't it?
Post #: 972
RE: Former Twins News - 7/31/2016 9:48:31 AM   
ewen21

Time to close the books on Aaron Hicks for good. The guy just cannot hit major league pitching. He can jump, throw, run, golf, dance, whatever.........but he is not a major league ballplayer. He is currently hitting .189, playing under Joe Girardi, given tons of rope, put in as many favorable situations as possible, etc........

My brother texts me to whine about the Yankees and I am sick of it. He mostly hates on A-Rod, Elsbury, Texiera, McCann......I really don't want to hear his bellyaching. I simply answer with "What about Hicks?"
Drives him nuts

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 973
RE: Former Twins News - 8/13/2016 9:10:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Yankees have announced that they’ve reinstated first baseman Chris Parmelee from a stint on the disabled list with a strained hamstring and outrighted him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Parmelee has been outrighted before and therefore had the right to refuse the assignment, but he’s currently listed on the Yankees’ Triple-A roster, so it appears he’s accepted it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 974
RE: Former Twins News - 8/14/2016 12:56:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

Howard Sinker ‏@afansview
If I didn't follow @TwinsAlmanac, I would've forgotten today is the 30th anniversary of #MNTwins trading Ron Davis to the Cubs

*yesterday*

Escape while you can!
Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode