Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  321 322 [323] 324 325   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/24/2019 4:38:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

I would rather give them a ton of mid level prospects and make the Nats pay the deferred salary and start there but to get Max, that would give us those top two playoff guys. Silly thing is that Mad Baum would still be in play and cheap. Could you imagine Max, Mad Baum, and Berrios.....now that would be going for it.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8051
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/24/2019 5:32:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

GCL Twins debut today, 4-3 loss to the Pirates

Cavaco batted 2nd 1-4/R, playing SS

6 hits, all singles

Lachlan Wells, on the road back from TJ Surgery, went 5 innings, 6H/3R/9K
Vasquez also on rehab, went 2, with a walk and 6 strikeouts.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8052
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/24/2019 5:45:17 PM   
MDK

I hope that both Falvines are thinking out of the box and recognize the opportunity to add pieces so that this team can go deep into the playoffs.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 8053
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/24/2019 6:55:43 PM   
Mr. Ed

Blankenhorn leadoff hr for pcola tonight. #13

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8054
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 8:13:36 AM   
MDK

http://www.startribune.com/sweet-swinging-twins-rookie-luis-arraez-is-making-a-case-to-stay-up-in-the-majors-for-good/511761492/

Sweet-swinging Twins rookie Luis Arraez is making a case to stay up in the majors for good
The sweet-swinging Twins rookie is making a case to stay up in the majors for good.
By La Velle E. Neal III Star Tribune
June 25, 2019 — 6:31am

Luis Arraez had just arrived in the visitors’ clubhouse in Kansas City on Saturday when he was approached by Twins teammate Jonathan Schoop.

“I don’t feel good,” said Schoop, who had stepped awkwardly on second base the night before and watched his right foot swell up overnight. “Be ready.”

The 22-year-old Arraez filled in for Schoop at second base, going 1-for-3, scoring a run and drawing a walk. He was back in the lineup Sunday, putting together his first four-hit game to raise his average to .436.

Arraez is ready, has been ready and will be ready, to hit. His .331 batting average in the minors suggests so. And his major league career is off to a roaring start, with hits in 13 of his 15 games.

The native of Venezuela doesn’t simply swing at pitches. He waves his bat like a wand, and the ball finds holes. And he can play some short and third base as well as second.

Because he doesn’t hit for power, he’s never been listed among the Twins’ top prospects. But Twins manager Rocco Baldelli, in his first season in the organization, has been awfully impressed.

“He’s a natural-born hitter,” Baldelli said. “I don’t think he’s getting lucky. Obviously nobody’s going to hit whatever he’s hitting — .500, .400 — over the course of the season. But the things that he does will always play. He’s been this type of hitter his entire career from the day he walked into pro ball … a lot of the things that he does in the box, you can’t teach.”

On May 21 in Los Angeles, Arraez dug in at the plate against the Angels. He anticipated when Trevor Cahill was going to throw a breaking ball and moved up in the batter’s box in an attempt to hit the ball before it dipped out of the strike zone. It was an audacious move. Not only does a player rarely do that in today’s game, but it’s unheard of for a rookie.

“You could go years without seeing a guy do that in a game,” Baldelli said. “At least live.”

When Arraez — pronounced ah-RISE — steps to the plate, his head is on a swivel like a quarterback going through his progressions. He’s looking at the defensive alignment to see where he can hit the ball.

“Some people can hit,” said first base coach Tommy Watkins, who managed Arraez for 48 games at Class AA Chattanooga last season. “And he is one of them. It’s cool when he steps to the plate and looks around the field. He does that a lot.”

During at-bats, Arraez will take a close pitch for a ball and shake his head from side to side as if refusing to chase them.

“I love how much he battles,” said outfielder Jake Cave, who has played with Arraez in the minors and majors. “He competes, he swings at strikes. He’s fun to hit behind because he’s on base a lot, and I like watching him a lot.”

Simple start

Arraez was born in San Felipe, a city of 200,000 that is the capital of the Venezuelan state of Yaracuy and home of former major leaguers Marco Scutaro and Melvin Mora. When he was a child, Arraez’s father, Ernesto, attached a ball to a string and hung it from a mango tree. That’s how the former amateur pitcher began to teach his son how to swing.

“He used to teach me how to hit righthanded,” Arraez said, “but I was like, ‘No, no, no.’ ”

When Arraez reached his teens, the Twins, Rays and a few other teams showed interest in signing him. But there was a problem: No projected power.

“He was small and a below-average runner,” said Mike Radcliff, the Twins vice president in charge of player personnel, “which is not good match for a young free agent.”

Arraez was living and working out at the Twins facility in Bejuma, Venezuela, at the time, and scout Jose Leon had some bad news. He had no money to sign Arraez.

“He come to me and said, ‘I don’t have any money for you, and you need to go home,’ ” Arraez remembers. “I said OK, I don’t want to play baseball anymore. I told my mother that I want to go to school now.

“I went out with my brother. And when we came back to the house, I saw Leon. He’s in my house. He said, ‘Hey, you want to sign?’ And I signed right there.”

Trade bait?

The Twins got Arraez in May 2013 for $40,000. Signed as a switch-hitter, he focused on batting lefthanded within a year and has hit at least .298 at every stop on the way to the majors.

He started this season batting .342 at Class AA Pensacola before he was promoted to Class AAA Rochester. He went 5-for-14 for the Red Wings when the Twins called him up to replace an injured Nelson Cruz. Arraez got six hits over his first six major league games and was batting .375 when they sent him to back Rochester when Cruz was activated. He was recalled Wednesday.

It wasn’t his only smooth transition to the majors. Twins officials have been impressed with how Arraez does not act like a rookie. He’s respectful of the veterans, punctual, and communicates with the trainers and coaching staffs daily.

“You can’t compliment Luis Arraez enough on his maturity, his character and the way he handles himself in everything he does,” Baldelli said. “He has a lot of strengths as a player, but the guy that he is I think is even his greatest strength.”

Arraez will make it difficult for the coaching staff to return him to the minors in the coming days as his teammates come off the injured list. And the future is intriguing. Some think he could bat leadoff next season and play second base. He also could draw the attention of teams with pitchers to trade before the July 31 deadline, as he appears to be major league-ready with nearly six seasons of club control remaining.

The Twins have options with someone who has made an instant impact.

“I’m happy because I’m playing,” Arraez said. “I come here because I want to play every day and I’m doing my job here.”

Noticed that trade bait is discussed with respect to Arraez. I think he is more valuable as a player for the Twins than as a chip in a trade. We shall see.

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 8055
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 8:37:12 AM   
TJSweens

As I said before, I am ready to unload Sano before the deadline and move forward with Arraez as the every day 3B for the rest of the year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8056
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 8:58:53 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

As I said before, I am ready to unload Sano before the deadline and move forward with Arraez as the every day 3B for the rest of the year.

Wouldn't fight that move one bit.
I'd worry it would make some pout, but only for awhile.
When I hear "the kids a hitter", I find a spot for him.
Post #: 8057
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 9:00:05 AM   
SoMnFan

I said it before, when he first came up, had that look to him where he was attacking the at-bats and the ball
Post #: 8058
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 9:07:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I said it before, when he first came up, had that look to him where he was attacking the at-bats and the ball

In an age where all anyone seems to care about is exit velocity and launch angle, it's fun to see a kid come up knowing all of the old school tricks for hitting. I noticed right away that when he steps in the box his head is on a swivel, scoping out the defense. Just the old Rod Carew, him em where they ain't philosophy. I didn't realize he did the little move up in the box to take away the break trick.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8059
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 9:17:39 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

You know my feelings regarding Sano.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 8060
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 9:48:02 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

No, I must have missed those 8,000 posts.

Post #: 8061
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 10:18:24 AM   
MDK

Arraez reminds me of Tony Gwynn.

Post #: 8062
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 10:48:31 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

http://www.startribune.com/sweet-swinging-twins-rookie-luis-arraez-is-making-a-case-to-stay-up-in-the-majors-for-good/511761492/

Sweet-swinging Twins rookie Luis Arraez is making a case to stay up in the majors for good
The sweet-swinging Twins rookie is making a case to stay up in the majors for good.

Luis Arraez had just arrived in the visitors’ clubhouse in Kansas City on Saturday when he was approached by Twins teammate Jonathan Schoop.

“I don’t feel good,” said Schoop, who had stepped awkwardly on second base the night before and watched his right foot swell up overnight. “Be ready.”

The 22-year-old Arraez filled in for Schoop at second base, going 1-for-3, scoring a run and drawing a walk. He was back in the lineup Sunday, putting together his first four-hit game to raise his average to .436.

Arraez is ready, has been ready and will be ready, to hit. His .331 batting average in the minors suggests so. And his major league career is off to a roaring start, with hits in 13 of his 15 games.

The native of Venezuela doesn’t simply swing at pitches. He waves his bat like a wand, and the ball finds holes. And he can play some short and third base as well as second.

Because he doesn’t hit for power, he’s never been listed among the Twins’ top prospects. But Twins manager Rocco Baldelli, in his first season in the organization, has been awfully impressed.

“He’s a natural-born hitter,” Baldelli said. “I don’t think he’s getting lucky. Obviously nobody’s going to hit whatever he’s hitting — .500, .400 — over the course of the season. But the things that he does will always play. He’s been this type of hitter his entire career from the day he walked into pro ball … a lot of the things that he does in the box, you can’t teach.”

On May 21 in Los Angeles, Arraez dug in at the plate against the Angels. He anticipated when Trevor Cahill was going to throw a breaking ball and moved up in the batter’s box in an attempt to hit the ball before it dipped out of the strike zone. It was an audacious move. Not only does a player rarely do that in today’s game, but it’s unheard of for a rookie.

“You could go years without seeing a guy do that in a game,” Baldelli said. “At least live.”

When Arraez — pronounced ah-RISE — steps to the plate, his head is on a swivel like a quarterback going through his progressions. He’s looking at the defensive alignment to see where he can hit the ball.

“Some people can hit,” said first base coach Tommy Watkins, who managed Arraez for 48 games at Class AA Chattanooga last season. “And he is one of them. It’s cool when he steps to the plate and looks around the field. He does that a lot.”

During at-bats, Arraez will take a close pitch for a ball and shake his head from side to side as if refusing to chase them.

“I love how much he battles,” said outfielder Jake Cave, who has played with Arraez in the minors and majors. “He competes, he swings at strikes. He’s fun to hit behind because he’s on base a lot, and I like watching him a lot.”

Simple start

Arraez was born in San Felipe, a city of 200,000 that is the capital of the Venezuelan state of Yaracuy and home of former major leaguers Marco Scutaro and Melvin Mora. When he was a child, Arraez’s father, Ernesto, attached a ball to a string and hung it from a mango tree. That’s how the former amateur pitcher began to teach his son how to swing.

“He used to teach me how to hit righthanded,” Arraez said, “but I was like, ‘No, no, no.’ ”

When Arraez reached his teens, the Twins, Rays and a few other teams showed interest in signing him. But there was a problem: No projected power.

“He was small and a below-average runner,” said Mike Radcliff, the Twins vice president in charge of player personnel, “which is not good match for a young free agent.”

Arraez was living and working out at the Twins facility in Bejuma, Venezuela, at the time, and scout Jose Leon had some bad news. He had no money to sign Arraez.

“He come to me and said, ‘I don’t have any money for you, and you need to go home,’ ” Arraez remembers. “I said OK, I don’t want to play baseball anymore. I told my mother that I want to go to school now.

“I went out with my brother. And when we came back to the house, I saw Leon. He’s in my house. He said, ‘Hey, you want to sign?’ And I signed right there.”

Trade bait?

The Twins got Arraez in May 2013 for $40,000. Signed as a switch-hitter, he focused on batting lefthanded within a year and has hit at least .298 at every stop on the way to the majors.

He started this season batting .342 at Class AA Pensacola before he was promoted to Class AAA Rochester. He went 5-for-14 for the Red Wings when the Twins called him up to replace an injured Nelson Cruz. Arraez got six hits over his first six major league games and was batting .375 when they sent him to back Rochester when Cruz was activated. He was recalled Wednesday.

It wasn’t his only smooth transition to the majors. Twins officials have been impressed with how Arraez does not act like a rookie. He’s respectful of the veterans, punctual, and communicates with the trainers and coaching staffs daily.

“You can’t compliment Luis Arraez enough on his maturity, his character and the way he handles himself in everything he does,” Baldelli said. “He has a lot of strengths as a player, but the guy that he is I think is even his greatest strength.”

Arraez will make it difficult for the coaching staff to return him to the minors in the coming days as his teammates come off the injured list. And the future is intriguing. Some think he could bat leadoff next season and play second base. He also could draw the attention of teams with pitchers to trade before the July 31 deadline, as he appears to be major league-ready with nearly six seasons of club control remaining.

“I’m happy because I’m playing,” Arraez said. “I come here because I want to play every day and I’m doing my job here.”

Noticed that trade bait is discussed with respect to Arraez. I think he is more valuable as a player for the Twins than as a chip in a trade. We shall see.

I'm really hoping they keep this guy. Trade Gordon. Though I am not soured on Gordon like some are. Arraez has proven it at every level that he can flat out rake. and plays well enough at 2B to be an everyday player. With 6 years of control that means he's cheap for a while. Schoop is not under contract after this year. Gordon is not outplaying Arraez. There is no reason to trade him. Keep him around in a utility type role this year and give him at the very least a shot at the every day 2B job nest spring. I have been pretty unimpressed with Schoop so when he came up lame I was hoping for a trip to IL for him and everyday playing by Arraez.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8063
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 11:26:47 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I must have missed those 8,000 posts.

Post #: 8064
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 11:43:42 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Simple start

Trade bait?

I'm really hoping they keep this guy. Trade Gordon. Though I am not soured on Gordon like some are. Arraez has proven it at every level that he can flat out rake. and plays well enough at 2B to be an everyday player. With 6 years of control that means he's cheap for a while. Schoop is not under contract after this year. Gordon is not outplaying Arraez. There is no reason to trade him. Keep him around in a utility type role this year and give him at the very least a shot at the every day 2B job nest spring. I have been pretty unimpressed with Schoop so when he came up lame I was hoping for a trip to IL for him and everyday playing by Arraez.

This is what I don't understand about the Twins. They protect low draft choice players like they are gold pieces from a leprachaun's bucket. But if they find a high performing minor league player who wasn't a low draft choice, was acquired from another organization via waiver, or was acquired in a trade, that player suddenly becomes trade bait. And in this instance, Arraez has proven that he can hit ML pitching and hit every bit as well as he did at the minor league level. They cannot be stupid enough to let go of a potential plus .300 hitter and keep a turd like Sano.

Post #: 8065
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 11:47:18 AM   
Phil Riewer

Are you positive Sano is a turd?

OPS is .833 and his WAR is 0.8 in 28 games....you keep playing him until someone offers you something.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8066
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 11:53:21 AM   
TJSweens

His OPS is a product of early success and limited sample size. Like everything else it's trending in the wrong direction. Couldn't care less what his WAR is since I have absolutely no respect for it as a measure of performance.

Post #: 8067
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:02:27 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

This is what I don't understand about the Twins. They protect low draft choice players like they are gold pieces from a leprachaun's bucket. But if they find a high performing minor league player who wasn't a low draft choice, was acquired from another organization via waiver, or was acquired in a trade, that player suddenly becomes trade bait. And in this instance, Arraez has proven that he can hit ML pitching and hit every bit as well as he did at the minor league level. They cannot be stupid enough to let go of a potential plus .300 hitter and keep a turd like Sano.

I don't see it as a keep either Arraez or Sano issue at all.

It's more a Gordon or Arraez issue to me.

Both are slated for the same positions, and you have Royce Lewis coming up too. Gordon Should still fetch something valuable in trade and he's become unnecessary because of Arraez and Lewis.

Don't get me wrong. I am with you on Sano. The guy comes up with the bases loaded hoping to hit the ball 1000 ft. Instead of just trying to make good contact. He swings, flailing away at three straight pitches out of the strike zone and strikes out. He's more of an all or nothing type hitter like Adam Dunn or Rob Deer. He's not going to hit one often but when it does it will go a long way.

Now if you asked me if we should trade Arraez or Sano, I would say Sano. Potential alone should fetch some good return and other teams will probably think all the dude needs is a change of scenery.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8068
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:03:20 PM   
Mr. Ed

Trade speculation is media bs
He’s not going anywhere
Makes it more likely Schoop is gone after a year

Sano has won one game for WaR
Has had a hand in a bunch of losses

That’s about all I measure in WAR stats

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8069
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:05:16 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

He’s not going anywhere

I agree.

I think the Twins brass is pretty enamored of Arraez at this point. They are mucho impressed. And know they will need the everyday 2B next year when Schoop is gone. He's perfect for that role.

Post #: 8070
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:12:41 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

He’s not going anywhere

WAR works like this: Let's say he has won 3 games in WAR. Then he has lost 2.2 games in WAR. So he's 0.8 WAR. If he had lost more games than he won, as you are speculating, then he would have a negative WAR.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8071
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:15:16 PM   
SoMnFan

Isn't Arraez just a better version of Adrianza?
Pretty simple solution.
(and I like Adrianza too)
Tough decisions. Its a business. That you're paid to WIN in.
Post #: 8072
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:20:23 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

He’s not going anywhere

WAR works like this: Let's say he has won 3 games in WAR. Then he has lost 2.2 games in WAR. So he's 0.8 WAR. If he had lost more games than he won, as you are speculating, then he would have a negative WAR.

This of course assumes WAR is not subjective, inaccurate calculation, which it of course it is.

Post #: 8073
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:21:25 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Isn't Arraez just a better version of Adrianza?
Pretty simple solution.
(and I like Adrianza too)
Tough decisions. Its a business. That you're paid to WIN in.

I don't think he is. Arreaz is a much better hitter. Adrianza is a much better defensive player.

Post #: 8074
RE: Players and prospects III - 6/25/2019 12:23:49 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

He’s not going anywhere

This of course assumes WAR is not subjective, inaccurate calculation, which it of course it is.

You need to proofread this.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8075
Page:   <<   < prev  321 322 [323] 324 325   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  321 322 [323] 324 325   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode