Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 9:05:53 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

How's that guy(who throws 100 MPH) we picked up off the street doing?

Muddling around in Rook Ball.Not dominating, for sure.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1276
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 9:08:47 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I think he'll be up by midseason this year. He could have been an "average" major league player THIS year already with his skills.

You are talking about Kohl Stewart. He's a 19 year old kid. No chance at all he'll be called up this year or next.

No. I was talking about Buxton. Which is why I talked about Stewart's timetable right after that.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1277
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 9:12:25 AM   
djskillz

Great to see Michael doing well at AA. All about health for him. He's still just 23 and has plenty of talent. Jed Lowrie-esque. The change in depth in the MI for this organization is really starting to look amazing. We went from basically "nothing" to:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Nunez (decent MI utility guy)
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

Not bad at all. Still need a longterm 3b (Sano won't be that IMO) and pitching.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/20/2014 9:35:59 AM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1278
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 10:17:44 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

Great to see Michael doing well at AA. All about health for him. He's still just 23 and has plenty of talent. Jed Lowrie-esque. The change in depth in the MI for this organization is really starting to look amazing. We went from basically "nothing" to:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

With Michael hitting .414 since getting to AA, really muddles up the SS position. Someone will be traded, but I hated writing that because that position has been so bad in the past.

Knowing the Twins management, they'll trade the wrong pieces

Fargo
Post #: 1279
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 11:13:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

What about Florimon? You forgot Florimon.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1280
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 11:27:29 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

He's not a MI. They'll move him to RF next year.
It's the Gardy plan. Have all three OF positions manned by Shortstops.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1281
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 11:32:59 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

He's not a MI. They'll move him to RF next year.
It's the Gardy plan. Have all three OF positions manned by Shortstops.

Well then praise the Lord Gardy was a Shortstop and not a Catcher.
The last time we moved a player from Catcher to another position, he ended up being among the lowest rated players at First Base by any measure.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1282
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 11:37:03 AM   
McMurfy

Fangraphs, has ST Joe not among the top 22

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Post #: 1283
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 11:37:30 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

With Michael hitting .414 since getting to AA, really muddles up the SS position. Someone will be traded, but I hated writing that because that position has been so bad in the past.

Yep. It's only been 8 games so it's an incredibly small sample and I'm trying not to get excited. But he's been pretty solid all year really WHEN healthy. Hopefully he keeps it up. Health has dogged him since his college days.

Post #: 1284
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 11:40:49 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

Yep. It's only been 8 games so it's an incredibly small sample and I'm trying not to get excited. But he's been pretty solid all year really WHEN healthy. Hopefully he keeps it up. Health has dogged him since his college days.

I like the Jed Lowrie comparison, that would be nice.
One of these MI may bulk up and be a good third baseman as well.
I see Sano at First as well.

Post #: 1285
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 11:46:37 AM   
djskillz

Maybe Harrison will eventually get it at 3b, though he's been bad there when I've seen him and he's been much more comfortable in LF. Or Niko will have his tools translate into performance at the plate there. Those are the two biggest hopes at this point IMO.

Wouldn't doubt that Polanco maybe ends up at 3b; not sure he'll hit enough to be a "good" 3b there though, personally.

Post #: 1286
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 1:51:09 PM   
wethrock

Michael has only played 2B since he's been in NB. I've seen him maybe 3 games, to soon to form full opinion. A little better than average foot speed; decent line-drive hitter. I assume he will start 2015 at AA; hopefully that will be in NB.
--Polanco has only played SS; I've seen him for maybe 6 or 7 games. aggressive base runner; hitting so-so; defensively better than average - but Santana is a better defensive SS.
Post #: 1287
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 2:21:33 PM   
ewen21

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think he'll be up by midseason this year. He could have been an "average" major league player THIS year already with his skills.

You are talking about Kohl Stewart. He's a 19 year old kid. No chance at all he'll be called up this year or next.

No. I was talking about Buxton. Which is why I talked about Stewart's timetable right after that.

Well OK then....how are you saying he'll be called up midseason "this year" when A) we've long since passed midseason and B) the Twins are shutting him down after that injury?? And the other thing from your comment in that post....no way in heck Buxton would have been an average mlb player THIS year. It's one thing to have optimism and quite another to make a statement like that

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1288
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 2:24:20 PM   
ewen21

quote:

Maybe Harrison will eventually get it at 3b, though he's been bad there when I've seen him and he's been much more comfortable in LF. Or Niko will have his tools translate into performance at the plate there. Those are the two biggest hopes at this point IMO.

Wouldn't doubt that Polanco maybe ends up at 3b; not sure he'll hit enough to be a "good" 3b there though, personally.

"Tools" speak to athletic ability. You either can hit or you can't. I don't see any evidence that Goodrum is a potential major league hitter.
And there is the problem. The Twins are so hung up on "tools" where they need to be looking for ballplayers. Specifically guys who can hit.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1289
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 2:51:29 PM   
Mr. Ed

Michael has played very little, if any 2nd this year. Which is fine.

Florimon is hot at AAA.Trade bait for an awesome glove that hits .250 in AAA.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1290
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 2:55:23 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well OK then....how are you saying he'll be called up midseason "this year" when A) we've long since passed midseason and B) the Twins are shutting him down after that injury?? And the other thing from your comment in that post....no way in heck Buxton would have been an average mlb player THIS year. It's one thing to have optimism and quite another to make a statement like that

My bad. Obviously I was talking "next" year. Disagree on this year. He'd already be one of the very best defensive OF'ers in baseball if not THE best and one of the very best baserunners in baseball. And I think he'd at least hit at a Ben Revere level. Low bar, yes, but that combination would make him at least an average major league player already. And I'm not alone in thinking that. There have been several scouts/analysts on record saying the same thing this year. The kid is that special.

He'll be up by middle of the season next year (likely after super 2 cutoff in June) and will be an impact player immediately. Assuming health of course.

Post #: 1291
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 2:56:48 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

"Tools" speak to athletic ability. You either can hit or you can't. I don't see any evidence that Goodrum is a potential major league hitter.
And there is the problem. The Twins are so hung up on "tools" where they need to be looking for ballplayers. Specifically guys who can hit.

Hitting is one of the tools. The most important one, but it's not like the other ones don't matter. Defense/baserunning/arm strength all matter a lot.

Post #: 1292
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 3:03:54 PM   
Mr. Ed

Keep in mind that Polanco was moved back to SS this year, played 2nd with Michael at SS nearly all last year.

Twins were concerned about SS depth. A lot has changed in 1 year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1293
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 3:04:09 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hitting is one of the tools. The most important one, but it's not like the other ones don't matter. Defense/baserunning/arm strength all matter a lot.

Its like Gardy just hacked your account...
Post #: 1294
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 3:07:55 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Keep in mind that Polanco was moved back to SS this year, played 2nd with Michael at SS nearly all last year.

Twins were concerned about SS depth. A lot has changed in 1 year.

No doubt. And Gordon, while he's a ways away, I'm confident will pan out eventually and be an impact player. His bloodlines are just too good and he's the best of them. We went from "need to trade for MI" to "we have excess MI to trade" in a very short time. Which is great news.

Post #: 1295
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 3:08:57 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know I like offense as much as the next guy. I just don't think we can discount everything else. If we only count hitting, Miggy is a better player than Trout the last couple years. But in reality Trout is a WAAAAYYYYY better player because of all the other ways that he accounts for run differential for a team.

Post #: 1296
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 3:10:27 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To Gardy Hitting is for tools, not a tool.

He'd rather have Nine banjo hitting SSs on the field than anyone that can thump it, but has trouble framing pitches or picking it...

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1297
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 3:19:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know I like offense as much as the next guy. I just don't think we can discount everything else. If we only count hitting, Miggy is a better player than Trout the last couple years. But in reality Trout is a WAAAAYYYYY better player because of all the other ways that he accounts for run differential for a team.

Except Trout is pretty good at that hitting thing too...

If Trout was a .230, 10 HR guy, he wouldn't be anywhere near the best player discussion.
Post #: 1298
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 3:21:36 PM   
djskillz

No doubt. As I said, hitting is the most important tool. But the other tools still matter.

Post #: 1299
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 5:52:18 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

Me thinks we won't be seeing Buxton in a Twins uniform until 2016.

When is it reasonable to project kohl stewarts ml debut?

I think he'll be up by midseason this year. He could have been an "average" major league player THIS year already with his skills. He'll be ready quickly. Not worried about the injuries. All of these are of the "freak" variety this year and he's never really been hurt in his life before this year. If this continues next year, maybe time to be concerned.

If Stewart keeps progressing like he is 2016 is not outside the realm of possibility. Though I'd probably project 2017. The rotation even by the end of 2015 is looking pretty full:

Meyer
Berrios
Gibson
Hughes
Nolasco
Milone
Pelfrey (through 2015)
May

By the way, everyone will be starting to talk about our other stud Lewis Thorpe by then. He's going to be a top 20 MLB prospect very soon if he keeps doing what he's doing at this crazy young age.

Is there a #1 or #2 in that group?

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1300
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode