Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 5:53:57 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Great to see Michael doing well at AA. All about health for him. He's still just 23 and has plenty of talent. Jed Lowrie-esque. The change in depth in the MI for this organization is really starting to look amazing. We went from basically "nothing" to:

Dozier
Santana
Escobar
Nunez (decent MI utility guy)
Polanco
Rosario
Gordon
Michael

Not bad at all. Still need a longterm 3b (Sano won't be that IMO) and pitching.

With Michael hitting .414 since getting to AA, really muddles up the SS position. Someone will be traded, but I hated writing that because that position has been so bad in the past.

Knowing the Twins management, they'll trade the wrong pieces

Yes we must trade some of these prospects for pitching if possible.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1301
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 6:28:00 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

Me thinks we won't be seeing Buxton in a Twins uniform until 2016.

When is it reasonable to project kohl stewarts ml debut?

I think he'll be up by midseason this year. He could have been an "average" major league player THIS year already with his skills. He'll be ready quickly. Not worried about the injuries. All of these are of the "freak" variety this year and he's never really been hurt in his life before this year. If this continues next year, maybe time to be concerned.

If Stewart keeps progressing like he is 2016 is not outside the realm of possibility. Though I'd probably project 2017. The rotation even by the end of 2015 is looking pretty full:

Meyer
Berrios
Gibson
Hughes
Nolasco
Milone
Pelfrey (through 2015)
May

By the way, everyone will be starting to talk about our other stud Lewis Thorpe by then. He's going to be a top 20 MLB prospect very soon if he keeps doing what he's doing at this crazy young age.

Is there a #1 or #2 in that group?

Hughes

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1302
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 6:39:03 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

Me thinks we won't be seeing Buxton in a Twins uniform until 2016.

When is it reasonable to project kohl stewarts ml debut?

I think he'll be up by midseason this year. He could have been an "average" major league player THIS year already with his skills. He'll be ready quickly. Not worried about the injuries. All of these are of the "freak" variety this year and he's never really been hurt in his life before this year. If this continues next year, maybe time to be concerned.

If Stewart keeps progressing like he is 2016 is not outside the realm of possibility. Though I'd probably project 2017. The rotation even by the end of 2015 is looking pretty full:

Meyer
Berrios
Gibson
Hughes
Nolasco
Milone
Pelfrey (through 2015)
May

By the way, everyone will be starting to talk about our other stud Lewis Thorpe by then. He's going to be a top 20 MLB prospect very soon if he keeps doing what he's doing at this crazy young age.

Is there a #1 or #2 in that group?

Hughes

I think he's our best, but see him as a 3.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1303
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/20/2014 6:54:29 PM   
djskillz

I think Meyer will be a 1 or 2 with his size and stuff, and Berrios has a chance to be. Gibson I think is going to end up a 2 but more ideally a 3 on a really good team. Basically a Scott Baker/Brad Radke guy. Hughes to me is a slight notch below Gibson longterm, a 3.

Thorpe and Stewart are both a long way off but could each be 1/2's in their own right. We do have talent coming. But should be trying to bridge the gap. We have an abundance of valuable young guys we can trade. The only guy I'd put completely off limits would be Buxton, with a "very tough to give up" grade on Meyer/Berrios/Sano, just because Meyer/Berrios are still important pieces to the pitching puzzle. That still leaves a whole lot of talent on the table:

Santana (sell high?)
Dozier (sorry SMF, but could be the above reason with other guys coming)
Pinto
Vargas
Arcia
Hicks
Rosario
May
Stewart
Thorpe
Polanco
Escobar
Michael
Harrison
Walker
Kepler
Approximately 20 decent relievers

I don't love giving up almost any of those guys, but if it takes giving up 2-3 of them to get a David Price type, I'd do it in the right deal.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/20/2014 6:56:07 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1304
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 6:11:41 AM   
Mr. Ed

Wednesday

Roch lost 5-4

Hicks 2-4/double/RBI,Colabello 3-5/Solo HR(10), Beresford 2-4/R

Meyer 5.2IP 8H/4R/3ER/10K/HR
Thompson 1.1IP H/BB/2K 0-1 IRS
GuerraIP H/K
Hamburger 3-4.2IP 2H/R/2BB/K

NB 7-0 winner

Combined 4-hitter
Rogers 10-6 5IP 3H/4BB/3K
Wimmers 2IP 3K
Fuller 2IP H/BB/4K

Hanson 2-5/double/3RBI/SB(1), Koch 2-4/2R/2RBI, Thomas 2-4/R/SB(14), Michale 1-4/BB/R, Polanco 1-5/R/SB(7)
Polanco/Michael turned 3 double plays

FTM 7-1 winner

Grimes 2-4/triple/3R HR(3)/2R,Kepler 1-3/BB/SoloHR(4)/2R, Kanzler 1-4/2R HR93), Hicks 1-3/double/RBI/E(8), Turner 2-4/R
Mejia SB(20), Goodrum SB(34)

Gruver 4-6 5IP 5H/3K
Muren 2IP H/2K
HermsenIP 3H/R/2K
Peterson IP H/3K

CRapids lost 5-2

Vielma 2-4/RBI/E(16)/SB(10), HInojosa 2-4, Quesada1-3/double/BB/R, Max 1-4/double/RBI

Gonsalves 5IP 6H/2R/1Er/2BB/7K/E(1)
Boyd 4-3 IP 2H/3R/2ER/2BB
Mazza 2IP 3H/4K
Gilbert IP 2K

Eliz off

GCL Twins lost 8-7

Silva 1-3/double/BB/R/3RBI, Minier 1-5/double/R/RBI(29), Guzman 2-4/2R/RBI, Molina 2-5/R, Valera 1-3/double/BB/RBI/2E(8)

Guyer 5IP 5H/2UER/BB/2K/E(2)
Wagner .2IP 2H/3R/2BB/k/HR
Hildenberger 1.1IP 0-1 iRS H/R/BB/K/HR
Zazueta 2-2 IP 2H/2R/2BB/HR

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1305
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 6:56:58 AM   
Mr. Ed

Alex Meyer has now had four double-digit strikeout performances this year. No #MNTwins pitcher has 10 or more K's this season.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1306
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 7:39:00 AM   
TJSweens

I gotta be honest. I was hoping to see a more consistent level of dominance from Meyer by now.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1307
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 8:54:15 AM   
djskillz

I think he's just tired, Tim. And it makes sense given his innings limit. He was looking pretty damn dominant in the "sweet spot" (ie not yet tired, but warmed up for the season; midseason form) a few weeks ago. When I saw him in Louisville he was absolutely filthy and couldn't be touched.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1308
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 8:57:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

I think he's just tired, Tim. And it makes sense given his innings limit. He was looking pretty damn dominant in the "sweet spot" (ie not yet tired, but warmed up for the season; midseason form) a few weeks ago. When I saw him in Louisville he was absolutely filthy and couldn't be touched.

pretty good to fan 10 in 5 2/3IP, and still give up 8 hits

all on 89 pitches

Here, see if you can hit this.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1309
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 9:55:17 AM   
Stacey King

Kernels Manager Jake Mauer said injured pitcher Kohl Stewart will see a local orthopedic doctor Thursday about his shoulder
Post #: 1310
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 9:58:47 AM   
Stacey King

Top pitching prospect Kohl Stewart left his start early Tuesday night as a precaution, Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Wednesday.

Stewart, ranked as the No. 24 overall prospect by MLB.com, has been dealing with shoulder soreness and was topping out at 90 mph in his start with Class A Cedar Rapids on Tuesday. He left his outing after just 1 1/3 innings.

"I don't think it's serious," Ryan said. "He came out of the game, but I don't think it was serious."

Stewart, 19, has fared well in his first full professional season after being taken with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft. The right-hander has posted a 2.59 ERA in 19 starts with 62 strikeouts and 24 walks in 87 innings.

Ryan said he remains hopeful Stewart will be able to return to action this season. "I hope so," Ryan said. "We still have season left. We've done a number of tests on him and haven't been able to find anything wrong."
Post #: 1311
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 10:01:16 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

Top pitching prospect Kohl Stewart left his start early Tuesday night as a precaution, Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Wednesday.

Stewart, ranked as the No. 24 overall prospect by MLB.com, has been dealing with shoulder soreness and was topping out at 90 mph in his start with Class A Cedar Rapids on Tuesday. He left his outing after just 1 1/3 innings.

"I don't think it's serious," Ryan said. "He came out of the game, but I don't think it was serious."

Stewart, 19, has fared well in his first full professional season after being taken with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft. The right-hander has posted a 2.59 ERA in 19 starts with 62 strikeouts and 24 walks in 87 innings.

Ryan said he remains hopeful Stewart will be able to return to action this season. "I hope so," Ryan said. "We still have season left. We've done a number of tests on him and haven't been able to find anything wrong."

I posted this in General talk

The system is flooded with injured guys. Several long-term injuries

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/injuries-have-hurt-prospects-development-r2998

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1312
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 10:04:20 AM   
MDK

quote:

Psst.......check his shoulder instead of his leg

Twins medical staff on crack

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 1313
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 10:07:02 AM   
Stacey King

Yesterday was the dinosaur's first look at Meyer this season...

Asked in advance of Alex Meyer’s 25th start for Triple-A Rochester about how his workload stacks up, here’s what Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Tuesday night:

“He’s right where he belongs. We can finish out the year with him. We had a plan with him and it’s worked as far as keeping him active. We got him out of there at a particular time in a game, which in a normal setting you don’t like to do that. You’d like to see him pitch through some of those innings. We’ve taken him out for a reason so he can get through the year. He should be fine to go.”

Meyer, who must be added to the 40-man roster in November, enters his start Wednesday night in Buffalo at 117 2/3 innings on the year. As noted in this space Tuesday, that leaves him plenty of room to finish out the year with three final starts for the Red Wings, followed by a potential September debut for the Twins.

When I asked Ryan about that possibility, he shook his head.

“I don’t know yet,” Ryan said. “I’m going to see him. I’m going to see the whole club, of course, but I’ll see him for the first time (at that level). It’s important that when you bring a guy up they’re prepared to pitch at this level. So we’ll see how prepared he looks.”

Meyer’s final home start for the Red Wings is scheduled for Monday. Rochester plays four home games in three days,starting Saturday, before heading back out on the road.

So it’s an excellent bet that Ryan will make his first and only 2014 visit to Rochester this weekend.
Post #: 1314
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 10:15:40 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Yesterday was the dinosaur's first look at Meyer this season...

Asked in advance of Alex Meyer’s 25th start for Triple-A Rochester about how his workload stacks up, here’s what Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Tuesday night:

“He’s right where he belongs. We can finish out the year with him. We had a plan with him and it’s worked as far as keeping him active. We got him out of there at a particular time in a game, which in a normal setting you don’t like to do that. You’d like to see him pitch through some of those innings. We’ve taken him out for a reason so he can get through the year. He should be fine to go.”

Meyer, who must be added to the 40-man roster in November, enters his start Wednesday night in Buffalo at 117 2/3 innings on the year. As noted in this space Tuesday, that leaves him plenty of room to finish out the year with three final starts for the Red Wings, followed by a potential September debut for the Twins.

When I asked Ryan about that possibility, he shook his head.

“I don’t know yet,” Ryan said. “I’m going to see him. I’m going to see the whole club, of course, but I’ll see him for the first time (at that level). It’s important that when you bring a guy up they’re prepared to pitch at this level. So we’ll see how prepared he looks.”

Meyer’s final home start for the Red Wings is scheduled for Monday. Rochester plays four home games in three days,starting Saturday, before heading back out on the road.

So it’s an excellent bet that Ryan will make his first and only 2014 visit to Rochester this weekend.

First look, this late in the season. I know he's been out, but what about Antony, the heir apparent??

And anyone else?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1315
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 10:27:36 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Alex Meyer has now had four double-digit strikeout performances this year. No #MNTwins pitcher has 10 or more K's this season.

But still 8 hits and 4 runs

Fargo
Post #: 1316
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/21/2014 6:19:55 PM   
Stacey King

Velocity Is Not Gonsalves’ Only Asset

August 21, 2014 by Phil Miller

MINNESOTA—
Like a lot of 20-year-old pitching prospects, Stephen Gonsalves‘ main asset is his fastball. But that simple assessment understates exactly what Gonsalves takes to the mound.

It’s not, the Twins say, just any fastball.

“He’s got velocity, of course (in the mid-90s), but It’s got a really good down angle, which not every pitcher has. It’s got late life, which adds to its value. He’s got command beyond his experience level,” said Mike Radcliff, the Twins’ vice president for player personnel. “In every category of fastball usability, he’s already got the foundation of a major-league starter.”

That doesn’t mean the San Diego lefthander will be in Minneapolis next week, or even next year. But the Twins, who uncharacteristically went well over the slot figure of $468,000 last year to pay their fourth-round pick $700,000, are already convinced Gonsalves was a smart investment.

“Our (scouts) had a lot of interest in him, they believed in him,” Radcliff said. “So it wasn’t really as difficult a decision as you’d think.”

Still, Gonsalves slid out of a potential first-round selection and down to the 110th overall pick due to a senior-year suspension at Cathedral Catholic High, which limited him to just 48 innings and raised character questions that Radcliff said the Twins investigated. Gonsalves said he was present when some teammates smoked marijuana after a high school tournament, and made the mistake of lying about it to protect his teammates.

That’s in the past, and Gonsalves has convinced the Twins that he has a bright future. He started six games at Elizabethton in the Rookie-level Appalachian League and posted a 2.79 ERA, earning a quick promotion to low Class A Cedar Rapids. After three starts there, he had allowed only one earned run, his 0.75 ERA supplemented by 11 strikeouts and three walks.

“He’s fastball-change right now, but he’s already got a breaking ball, and he’s working on a cutter,” Radcliff said. “And that fastball makes his other pitches that much better.”

TWIN KILLINGS

• Righthander Hudson Boyd, 21, served a one-week suspension at low Class A Cedar Rapids for undisclosed violations of team rules during a road trip. The Kernals’ closer was reinstated on Aug. 3 and gave up one run in one inning at Beloit.

Nate Roberts, the Twins’ fifth-round pick in 2010, was released after appearing in only 18 games for High Class A Fort Myers this season. Roberts, 25, who batted .446 while representing the Twins in the 2012 Arizona Fall League, batted .281 with the Miracle, but still is limited due to a knee injury, and subsequent surgery, he suffered during spring training in 2013
Post #: 1317
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 5:50:24 AM   
Mr. Ed

Thursday:

Roch suspended in first, tied at 1

NB routed 10-1
5 errors

Gonzales 2-3/E(1),Waring 1-4/double/RBI, THomas 1-4/double/R

Berrios 2-4 5.2 IP 8H/4R/3ER/BB/4K
Melotakis IP 0-1 iRS 3H/2R/2ER/E(1)
Ibarra 1.1IP 0-1 IRS 4H/3R/2ER/BB/K/E(1)

4 run 9th, FTM a 5-2 winner

Kepler the Grand Slam to win it, 1-4/HR#5/52RBI,Goodrun 0-1/3BB/R,Harrison/Grimes 1-4/R, Haar 1-3/double

CRapids 4 in the 7th to rally for a 6-5 win

Hinojosa 2-5/triple/2/4RBI/E(4), Garver 2-3/double/GBG, Walker 2-4/2R/RBI, Wade 0-2/2BB/2R/SB(4), Max 1-3/BB/R

Thorpe 4.2IP 8H/5R/2ER/BB/7K
Bixler 7-4 1.2IP H/BB/K
Gallant 1.2IP 0-1 IRS 3K
Reed IP K/Save(3)

Eliz scored 3 in the first and second, won 7-1

Kuresa 2-4/double/R/3RBI(36), Gordon 2-5/2R, Navaretto 1-3/double/BB/R/2RBI, Vavra 1-3/BB/R/RBI(28)

Gibbons 4-4 7IP H/2BB/8K
Poulson IP H/R/3K/HR
Lo IP

GCL Twins lost 7-4

Polanco 2-4/R/RBI, Guzman 1-3/double/2BB/R/2SB(16), Baez 1-4/BBB/2R/SB(9)

Theofanopoulos 3IP 5H/2R/BB/3K
Zoquiel 0-3 .1IP H/3R/3BB
Pearce 4.2IP 0-2 IRS 2H/3K
Del Rosario IP 3H/2R/BB/K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1318
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 8:31:59 AM   
djskillz

They're not lighting the world on fire with ERA's a bit under 4 (except in K's in Thorpe's case) but Thorpe and Berrios are both just so impressive holding their own at those levels, respectively, at 18 and 20.

Thorpe now up to 68 k's in 63 innings at the age of 18 there. He's our next stud pitcher after this current wave.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/22/2014 8:33:51 AM >

Post #: 1319
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 8:42:58 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Kepler the Grand Slam to win it, 1-4/HR#5/52RBI,

52RBIs? That's gotta be some kind of record!!

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1320
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 8:44:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

They're not lighting the world on fire with ERA's a bit under 4 (except in K's in Thorpe's case) but Thorpe and Berrios are both just so impressive holding their own at those levels, respectively, at 18 and 20.

Thorpe now up to 68 k's in 63 innings at the age of 18 there. He's our next stud pitcher after this current wave.

Well. Maybe overall they're impressve, But Thorpe only lasted 4 2/3 innings and gave up 8 hits and 5 runs. That's only impressive to Ron Gardenstupid and his buddy raggedy Andy.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1321
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 8:47:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ok, for the anal rententive

Kepler 1-4/HR#5/4RBI(52)

Nevermind i noted Grand Slam, which is known in most baseball circles to equate to 4 RBI

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1322
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 8:57:08 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, for the anal rententive

Kepler 1-4/HR#5/4RBI(52)

Nevermind i noted Grand Slam, which is known in most baseball circles to equate to 4 RBI

Correction, It's not being anal retentive.

It's being smartassian.

Post #: 1323
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 1:58:47 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

Well. Maybe overall they're impressve, But Thorpe only lasted 4 2/3 innings and gave up 8 hits and 5 runs. That's only impressive to Ron Gardenstupid and his buddy raggedy Andy.

only 2 earned. And it's STILL impressive, given that age. Is my point. 18 year olds should not be able to be in that league at all, let alone striking out guys at more than 1 per inning and having an ERA under 4. He may end up being the best player ever from his country.

Good to see Kepler continuing to make strides. He's had a solid 2nd half. .781 OPS, .903 in August.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 8/22/2014 2:02:33 PM >

Post #: 1324
RE: Players and prospects III - 8/22/2014 2:53:13 PM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

quote:

only 2 earned. And it's STILL impressive, given that age. Is my point. 18 year olds should not be able to be in that league at all, let alone striking out guys at more than 1 per inning and having an ERA under 4. He may end up being the best player ever from his country.

Good to see Kepler continuing to make strides. He's had a solid 2nd half. .781 OPS, .903 in August.

Thorpe is 4 years younger than the average pitcher weighted age in the Midwest league and Berrios is 4.7 years younger than the averge weighted pitcher age for the Eastern League according to Baseball Reference......

They are young.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 1325
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode