Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Mike Priefer must GO

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/16/2018 9:09:14 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

It's the FOMKERS [Friends of Mike Preifer] that don't get that it has nothing to do with Kluwe, and all to do with very poor performing special teams.

Phil checked the stats of our special teams last year and overall they were above average. We just see the things that go wrong and forget about what goes right.
Today without a doubt our overall special teams effort was pathetic. I find it hard to believe that Carlson missed three out of three FGs because of Priefer. The blocking scheme that led to the blocked punt would be on Priefer.
If Zimmer decides it is time to part with Priefer I would have no issue with that.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 476
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/16/2018 9:10:52 PM   
kgdabom

sd

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 477
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/16/2018 9:37:33 PM   
marty

That was one year, ignores the missed extra points, Blair Walsh project, shaky coverage, and now Carlson today, and punting doesn't have stability. A disturbing pattern, I am sure there is more.

I don't see excellence in the special teams area, and Patterson may have covered up deficiencies, and kept Preifer from getting fired awhile ago.
Post #: 478
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/16/2018 9:46:36 PM   
marty

FOCKERs was just too funny.

The best I can do, is: WHIMPERS [Whatever Helps Ignore Mike Priefer].
Post #: 479
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/16/2018 10:19:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

That was one year, ignores the missed extra points, Blair Walsh project, shaky coverage, and now Carlson today, and punting doesn't have stability. A disturbing pattern, I am sure there is more.

I don't see excellence in the special teams area, and Patterson may have covered up deficiencies, and kept Preifer from getting fired awhile ago.

Marty go ahead and check our overall performance on special teams over the last 5 years then. No throwing out the KR cat because we had Patterson. Just check the totality of the ST stats and you see we have been at least average as whole.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 480
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:44:06 AM   
marty

I want better than average, I want excellence.

I don't want average as a whole, special teams being a weakness IS a hole.

I don't want numbers that are propped up by a freak like Patterson, I want them playing as a unit with consistent excellence, not shakiness and fear of making mistakes.

< Message edited by marty -- 9/17/2018 12:45:13 AM >
Post #: 481
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 7:30:19 AM   
Bruce Johnson

You would think that a roster that has "quality depth" should be good at special teams. I'm not talking about the kickers themselves, but the rest of special teams. On that blocked punt, the blocker went after the outside guy and let the inside guy have a clean shot at the punter. They have to know that if you have two guys you always block the inside guy. They surprised him by bringing the outside guy at the last moment. I bet he doesn't make that mistake again.

I don't blame the Vikings for drafting a kicker. Yesterday's game showed how important a kicker is. They were trying to hit a home run in the fifth round- somebody that could help the team right now. It looks like a swing and a miss, right now.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 482
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 9:33:59 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

You would think that a roster that has "quality depth" should be good at special teams. I'm not talking about the kickers themselves, but the rest of special teams. On that blocked punt, the blocker went after the outside guy and let the inside guy have a clean shot at the punter. They have to know that if you have two guys you always block the inside guy. They surprised him by bringing the outside guy at the last moment. I bet he doesn't make that mistake again.

I don't blame the Vikings for drafting a kicker. Yesterday's game showed how important a kicker is. They were trying to hit a home run in the fifth round- somebody that could help the team right now. It looks like a swing and a miss, right now.

The problem is Priefer's coverage teams are prone to that mental mistake. The guy yesterday made a whopper and likely won't repeat it, but somebody else will leave his lane or go out of bounds and come back into play.

Kickers in general should be filled by guys who have experience. They tend to fail early before hitting their stride. Drafting Carlson was flushing a 5th round pick down the toilet. I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't take Forbath back in a heart beat.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 483
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 9:48:38 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The problem is Priefer's coverage teams are prone to that mental mistake. The guy yesterday made a whopper and likely won't repeat it, but somebody else will leave his lane or go out of bounds and come back into play.

Kickers in general should be filled by guys who have experience. They tend to fail early before hitting their stride. Drafting Carlson was flushing a 5th round pick down the toilet. I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't take Forbath back in a heart beat.

I think you draft Carlson if you are a team rebuilding. The young kicker can have his ups & downs.

As a true contender, there is no way we should be wet nursing a raw rookie kicker through his growing pains.

I’ll admit, bad move by Spiels unless this guy (Carlson) just came out of the gate smoking.

I’m not sold on Forbath either, but he actually had a very good camp.

However as telling as anything about Priefer is the fact that we’re still auditioning KR’s? WTF? It’s the second game of the year.

Let alone seemingly having a punt blocked, or almost blocked every freaking game since the playoffs.

What in the hell is going on in the Special teams room? Horrific
  Post #: 484
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 9:53:17 AM   
marty

Priefer is shaky, and should be fired.

That might be a good nickname, Shaky Mikey
Post #: 485
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 11:34:42 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I don't want numbers that are propped up by a freak like Patterson, I want them playing as a unit with consistent excellence, not shakiness and fear of making mistakes.

Every fan, player, and staff of every team wants excellence. You don't always get what you want. We could replace Priefer and our special teams could go from slightly above average to below average.
I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get better, but this perception that our special teams have sucked under Priefer is simply flawed perception.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/17/2018 11:37:01 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 486
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 11:36:53 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Every fan, player, and staff of every team wants excellence. You don't always get what you want. We could replace Priefer and our special teams would go from slightly above average to below average.
I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get better, but this perception that our special teams have sucked under Priefer is simply flawed perception.

Our special teams suck right now. This is a superbowl contending team. We can't afford to have speical teams losing games for us.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 487
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 11:39:55 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Every fan, player, and staff of every team wants excellence. You don't always get what you want. We could replace Priefer and our special teams would go from slightly above average to below average.

Our special teams suck right now. This is a superbowl contending team. We can't afford to have speical teams losing games for us.

Extremely small sample size. Yes we sucked on punt blocking and FG kicking yesterday. No question. I wish we had never drafted Carlson and just kept Kai. If Zimmer decides to fire Priefer, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
However, there is nothing to back up this idea that our special teams have sucked under Priefer.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 488
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:11:13 PM   
Ricky J

I tried watching the short cuts at work but my app is failing.

Zim said in his press conf that the center was pulled to the ground (illegal). I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. If true doesn't that excuse the blocked punt for a td if act was successful based on a grossly illegal play?

- - I'd be surprised if Zim isn't fined for his comments regarding officiating. Coaches aren't all of a sudden able to criticize officials in press conferences now days are they?

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/17/2018 12:12:18 PM >
Post #: 489
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:18:50 PM   
Ricky J

I just googled the punt. Zim's full of shit on this one. The guy came around the end, between the guy off the line of scrimmage.
Post #: 490
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:25:09 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I just googled the punt. Zim's full of shit on this one. The guy came around the end, between the guy off the line of scrimmage.

He wasn't talking about that guy. He was talking about the guy who pulled the C down.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 491
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:28:03 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

He wasn't talking about that guy. He was talking about the guy who pulled the C down.

Which from the videos I see had nothing to do with the punt being blocked. Pull him down all you want if it didn't influence the play it means nothing to me or should it to you.
Post #: 492
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:31:34 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which from the videos I see had nothing to do with the punt being blocked. Pull him down all you want if it didn't influence the play it means nothing to me or should it to you.

The bottom line is that the punt got blocked because of a mental mistake, not because the center got pulled down. If a flag had been thrown it certainly would covered up the mental mistake, but is was none the less a mental mistake at the worst part of the field to make one in that situation.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 493
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:46:33 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The bottom line is that the punt got blocked because of a mental mistake, not because the center got pulled down. If a flag had been thrown it certainly would covered up the mental mistake, but is was none the less a mental mistake at the worst part of the field to make one in that situation.

What Zim is talking about is that a penalty should have been called and that play would've been negated.

You guys are right about the mental mistake though.

Zim isn't full of shit. He knows his shit on this part. And the officials blew that shit.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 494
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 12:46:54 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right
Post #: 495
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 1:34:05 PM   
Toby Stumbo

I'm still baffled why Sherels fair caught the first two punts with 20+ yards of open space around him, the 1st one being inside the 10. I blame him for the TD (not the block) as much as anyone on the punt team.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 496
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 5:09:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was just clarifying what Zimmer had to say. He was saying a penalty should have been called.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 497
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 8:56:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

I'm still baffled why Sherels fair caught the first two punts with 20+ yards of open space around him, the 1st one being inside the 10. I blame him for the TD (not the block) as much as anyone on the punt team.

And Hughes was returning punts later.
Post #: 498
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/17/2018 9:00:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

And Hughes was returning punts later.

Sherels suffered a chest injury and wasn't available after that.
Post #: 499
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 11/4/2018 11:39:30 PM   
marty

The Vikings almost had a punt blocked, and Detroits' successful fake punt almost costed the Vikings the game. Thankfully Tate went to the Eagles, and thankfully the D put down the clamps.

And thankfully the Vikings have players playing well on special teams that can keep the weakness of Richard Solomon [my nickname for Mike Prayfor] at bay.

Let's hope Sherels, Wile and Bailey can all stay healthy, so the Vikes' 2nd greatest weakness to Waynes isn't exposed.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode