Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Mike Priefer must GO

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 8/31/2015 8:17:06 PM   
David F.

Bumping this thread. Priefer will likely win us one game this year but lose us three. All the while he will be lauded for the good things but excused of the poor things. DUMP THIS CHUMP! He (and special teams) is clearly the weak link on this team.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 126
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 11:43:41 AM   
Jeff Jesser

He's weird. Our return team and coverage teams seem to be really solid but our kickers have clearly regressed under him.
Post #: 127
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 12:47:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

He's weird. Our return team and coverage teams seem to be really solid but our kickers have clearly regressed under him.

The bolded is certainly a better indicator of good/bad coaching IMO.
Post #: 128
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 12:48:45 PM   
EA!

This thread should have a subtitle: "Yes, David F. just cannot get over it".

I mean, we ran a kickoff back for a TD last game so I am not sure bumping the thread now this is good timing. And I am not sure any smart Head Coach would dump his Special Teams coach before the season started because... because David F. really, really misses Chris Kluwe? (Having a mancrush on a Punter? C'mon man!)

What would Priefer get fired for, exactly?

The coverage has been pretty good, returns have been good, Locke has even been OK. Now, Blair Walsh has sucked, but Walsh was streaky in college also (as David L. has posted) so my guess is that it is not the holder, nor the Special Teams coach, but the Kicker. I know, I know, it is crazy, but I am placing the blame for lousy kicking on the Kicker...
Post #: 129
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 1:34:58 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: EA!

I mean, we ran a kickoff back for a TD last game so I am not sure bumping the thread now this is good timing. And I am not sure any smart Head Coach would dump his Special Teams coach before the season started because... because David F. really, really misses Chris Kluwe? (Having a mancrush on a Punter? C'mon man!)

The coverage has been pretty good, returns have been good, Locke has even been OK. Now, Blair Walsh has sucked, but Walsh was streaky in college also (as David L. has posted) so my guess is that it is not the holder, nor the Special Teams coach, but the Kicker. I know, I know, it is crazy, but I am placing the blame for lousy kicking on the Kicker...

Dallas' return averages were really high in both kicks and punts. Our kicker went 2 of 3 and we all breathed a sigh of relief yet 66.7% normally means you aren't an NFL kicker anymore. Walsh blasts a beautiful punt and our coverage team had no idea what to do.

This has nothing to do with Kluwe.

I challenge you to post what you like about Priefer's performance. Was it the blocked punt that cost us a game last season? How about the blocked FG returned by the Patriots at the end of the first half that killed our chances of getting back into that game?

Specifically, what do you like about Mike Priefer?

P.S. Our kicker and punter aren't lousy. They were (at one point) the best you could hope to get. Priefer has a proven history of having this effect.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 130
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 1:41:49 PM  1 votes
EA!

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Dallas' return averages were really high in both kicks and punts. Our kicker went 2 of 3 and we all breathed a sigh of relief yet 66.7% normally means you aren't an NFL kicker anymore. Walsh blasts a beautiful punt and our coverage team had no idea what to do.

I challenge you to post what you like about Priefer's performance. Was it the blocked punt that cost us a game last season? How about the blocked FG returned by the Patriots at the end of the first half that killed our chances of getting back into that game?

P.S. Our kicker and punter aren't lousy. They were (at one point) the best you could hope to get. Priefer has a proven history of having this effect.

If you really cannot admit that your feelings towards Priefer extend beyond the football field than I have no interest in discussing this. It could not be more obvious.

Firing a special teams coach based on how the special teams have performed this preseason (which is not bad, Kicker excluded) would be real amateur hour stuff. If Priefer deserves to be canned at the end of the year, fire him then when it makes sense.

Almost no position coaches are ever fired in the middle of the season (from July through January), why do you think that is?
Post #: 131
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 1:55:24 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you really cannot admit that your feelings towards Priefer extend beyond the football field than I have no interest in discussing this. It could not be more obvious.

Firing a special teams coach based on how the special teams have performed this preseason (which is not bad, Kicker excluded) would be real amateur hour stuff. If Priefer deserves to be canned at the end of the year, fire him then when it makes sense.

Almost no position coaches are ever fired in the middle of the season (from July through January), why do you think that is?

Well in my defense, the title of the thread isn't 'Mike Priefer must GO right at this very moment'. During the regime change would have been the most ideal time. During the most recent offseason would have been the next best time.

It's come to my attention though that you must have some type of mancrush on Priefer to defend him yet give no reasons why you like him. It could not be more obvious. This thread should be renamed 'Yes, EA just can't get over it'.

Post #: 132
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 1:59:19 PM   
David F.

quote:

I mean, we ran a kickoff back for a TD last game so I am not sure bumping the thread now this is good timing.

And sometimes Christian Ponder threw a TD pass. And sometimes Troy Williamson caught a pass.

I wish my job was to say, "Hey CP - go out there and try to return a kick for a TD once every season or so." Then, when it happens my job performance would be completely justified even though the wheels are falling off every other aspect of special teams. Who was Devin Hester's special teams coach? Must have been the greatest special teams coach of all time.

Post #: 133
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 2:24:40 PM   
Trekgeekscott

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 134
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 2:29:01 PM   
EA!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well in my defense, the title of the thread isn't 'Mike Priefer must GO right at this very moment'. During the regime change would have been the most ideal time. During the most recent offseason would have been the next best time.

It's come to my attention though that you must have some type of mancrush on Priefer to defend him yet give no reasons why you like him. It could not be more obvious. This thread should be renamed 'Yes, EA just can't get over it'.

I not even really defending Priefer. He is a special teams coach and special teams coaches are never that popular on a good day. I might have fired him before now also. But I do not think it is a given that he should have been fired. And, frankly, I trust Zimmer's opinion over yours by quite a bit on this matter.

It would just be stupid to fire him now, which you seem to tacitly admit. So we can agree to agree that Priefer should be kept right now and re-evaluated after the season. Discussion over.

BTW, trying to flip the "mancrush" and "thread renaming" comments back on me is both laughable and remarkably not creative. You have posted hundreds (thousands?) of posts on Priefer and Kluwe. I have posted a couple. And that was a couple too many.

Carry on. (and on and on....)
Post #: 135
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 2:38:49 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I not even really defending Priefer. He is a special teams coach and special teams coaches are never that popular on a good day. I might have fired him before now also. But I do not think it is a given that he should have been fired. And, frankly, I trust Zimmer's opinion over yours by quite a bit on this matter.

It would just be stupid to fire him now, which you seem to tacitly admit. So we can agree to agree that Priefer should be kept right now and re-evaluated after the season. Discussion over.

BTW, trying to flip the "mancrush" and "thread renaming" comments back on me is both laughable and remarkably not creative. You have posted hundreds (thousands?) of posts on Priefer and Kluwe. I have posted a couple. And that was a couple too many.

Carry on. (and on and on....)

If you can find 100 posts from me on this subject I will bow down and call you master - because they aren't there. You are trying to discredit me because you know you can't discredit my point. And personally I thought flipping the mancrush concept was rather clever because doing show sheds even more light on your tactic to discredit me rather than my point.

'David F. has cooties!' is a comparable replacement for any of your posts so far.

Post #: 136
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 2:47:26 PM   
EA!

quote:

If you can find 100 posts from me on this subject I will bow down and call you master - because they aren't there. You are trying to discredit me because you know you can't discredit my point. And personally I thought flipping the mancrush concept was rather clever because doing show sheds even more light on your tactic to discredit me rather than my point.

'David F. has cooties!' is a comparable replacement for any of your posts so far.

Frankly, I just do not care about this topic or your hurt feelings RE Kluwe and Priefer enough to continue this.

We both agreed on my main point, which is that Priefer should not be fired right now, so I have no need to 'discredit' you.

Carry on.
Post #: 137
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 2:50:18 PM   
DavidAOlson

I was pretty sure the Vikes were going to keep Priefer once they let their lawyer put out the hit piece on Kluwe. They made their choice obvious then, and it pretty much guaranteed they wouldn't drop Priefer for a few years.

Now Priefer has ditched Loeffler, who confirmed the nuke story. Nobody has mentioned that because Loeffler's performance last year was pretty bad. (But what would Kluwe have done with a better snapper? The Raiders were willing to keep Kluwe and trade King. So it's pretty obvious Kluwe got blackballed, and not really a surprise.)

And it's amazing the number of people who are happy we dropped Kluwe and replaced him with someone who has been at the bottom of the league.

Priefer's coaching history with punters is suspect; guys seem to have their worst years when he's their coach. And Walsh's rookie year is starting to look like an outlier. He's had some of the finest return men in the league, though, with Harvin, Sherels (Mr. Surprise), and Flash. So whatever. He's not going anywhere until he's no longer radioactive.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 138
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 2:58:05 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Frankly, I just do not care about this topic or your hurt feelings RE Kluwe and Priefer enough to continue this.

We both agreed on my main point, which is that Priefer should not be fired right now, so I have no need to 'discredit' you.

Carry on.

I have no hurt feelings. You only wish that as it helps your case of 'disgruntled David F.' This way you still don't have to give any reasons why you support Priefer.

I agree that you have no need to discredit me. So why make the effort (a poor one at that)?

And no - we don't agree on your main point and I don't even concede that in fact that is/was your main point.

Post #: 139
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:02:51 PM   
EA!

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

I was pretty sure the Vikes were going to keep Priefer once they let their lawyer put out the hit piece on Kluwe. They made their choice obvious then, and it pretty much guaranteed they wouldn't drop Priefer for a few years.

Now Priefer has ditched Loeffler, who confirmed the nuke story. Nobody has mentioned that because Loeffler's performance last year was pretty bad. (But what would Kluwe have done with a better snapper? The Raiders were willing to keep Kluwe and trade King. So it's pretty obvious Kluwe got blackballed, and not really a surprise.)

And it's amazing the number of people who are happy we dropped Kluwe and replaced him with someone who has been at the bottom of the league.

Priefer's coaching history with punters is suspect; guys seem to have their worst years when he's their coach. And Walsh's rookie year is starting to look like an outlier. He's had some of the finest return men in the league, though, with Harvin, Sherels (Mr. Surprise), and Flash. So whatever. He's not going anywhere until he's no longer radioactive.

I think it is ludicrous to imply that Zimmer chose the new longsnapper guy over Loeffler because of the nuke story. I think that is probably 100% wrong, although like any good conspiracy theory, I cannot prove it.
Post #: 140
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:05:06 PM   
Todd M

Priefer is a bum.

Like we'd lose anything if we ditched him and promoted the assistant ST's guy.
Post #: 141
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:05:50 PM   
David F.

Carry on. (and on and on...) Just can't let it go?

Post #: 142
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:07:17 PM   
EA!

quote:

I have no hurt feelings.

Maybe it was a different David F. Sorry for my confusion.
Post #: 143
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:08:09 PM   
EA!

quote:

Bingo
Post #: 144
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:08:42 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Bingo

I know you are but what am I?

Post #: 145
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:10:14 PM   
EA!

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

I know you are but what am I?

I like that one better.
Post #: 146
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:17:30 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

quote:

I think it is ludicrous to imply that Zimmer chose the new longsnapper guy over Loeffler because of the nuke story. I think that is probably 100% wrong, although like any good conspiracy theory, I cannot prove it.

As I said, nobody has implied it. And I certainly didn't. Heck, the situation might have given Loeffler an extra year, just to avoid the appearance of retribution.

But Kluwe took those snaps and managed to be a decent punter. Locke has been at the bottom of the league. That's really surprising for one of the best punting prospects to come out of college in the last 5 years. (GBN, for example, had him rated slightly higher than where he went.)

And maybe Kluwe went downhill just as Priefer arrived. That coincidence would be more likely if it hadn't happened to the punters at Priefer's previous stops. And Locke.

As I've posted before, I'd ditch Priefer before I gave up entirely on Locke. Along with any punting competition, I'd bring in a new ST coach.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 147
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:27:01 PM   
EA!

quote:

quote:

quote:

As I said, nobody has implied it. And I certainly didn't. Heck, the situation might have given Loeffler an extra year, just to avoid the appearance of retribution.

But Kluwe took those snaps and managed to be a decent punter. Locke has been at the bottom of the league. That's really surprising for one of the best punting prospects to come out of college in the last 5 years. (GBN, for example, had him rated slightly higher than where he went.)

And maybe Kluwe went downhill just as Priefer arrived. That coincidence would be more likely if it hadn't happened to the punters at Priefer's previous stops. And Locke.

As I've posted before, I'd ditch Priefer before I gave up entirely on Locke. Along with any punting competition, I'd bring in a new ST coach.

This will be my last post on this thread because I really do not care enough about Priefer one way or the other to post in this thread, so it is my fault for doing so.

I agree that there are areas of significant concern RE special teams. And some positive areas as well. I would have no problem firing Priefer after the Kluwe incident. Or after the 2014 season. Or AFTER this season. But not now.

I do agree that Locke's struggles could be more placed on Priefer than Walsh's. Hopefully, Locke will improve this year. In fact, I want our special teams to rock this year, but not because I care one way or the other about the special teams coach.
Post #: 148
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:46:22 PM   
David F.

Priefer's kick coverage has been exemplary. He has that going for him. The fake punt last year was perfect. The two blocked punts returned for touchdowns vs. Carolina were AWESOME!

Now fix all the crap because there's a LOT of it!

Post #: 149
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/1/2015 3:48:12 PM   
Zoilo

That was a nice fake punt.

Z
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode