Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/16/2016 1:54:53 PM   
David Levine

Lynx sign cornerstones Augustus, Whalen to multi-year extensions
The Minnesota Lynx will be keeping Seimone Augustus and Lindsey Whalen around for years to come.
By René Kennedy Sep 15, 2016, 4:58p

Fans can get use to seeing Seimone Augustus and Lindsey Whalen in a Minnesota Lynx uniform, as the team announced today they have both signed multi-year contract extensions.

The team’s Executive Vice President, Roger Griffith made a comment on the signings:

quote:

“We are extremely excited to have extended the contracts of two of our franchise leaders and two of the best players in the WNBA. During her eleven-year career, Seimone has been an integral part of the success of our franchise and has become undoubtedly one of the elite guards in the WNBA. Meanwhile, Lindsay has established herself as one of the top point guards in the league and we are glad to have her continue playing in her home state of Minnesota. We are fortunate to have the opportunity to watch these outstanding individuals night in and out and we are thrilled that they’ve decided to continue their careers with the Lynx as we drive toward the playoffs.”

Augustus has played her entire WNBA career with Minnesota. This season, she is averaging 11.3 points per game while shooting 45.9% from the field. She will continue to add to her franchise-record numbers: games played (292), scoring (5,121), field goals (2,073) and minutes (8,981). Augustus is a six-time WNBA All-Star and a three-time Olympic gold medalist. She also has helped the Lynx win three WNBA titles and was the Finals MVP in 2011.

Whalen has spent her last seven years in the league with Minnesota; overall she has been in the league for 13 seasons. On the year, she has been averaging 10.1 points per game, 3.9 assists and 2.7 rebounds.

Whalen is the franchise’s leader in assists at 2,153 and there is no doubt that number will continue to get higher as she remains playing for the Lynx. Earlier this season she became the first player in the WNBA history to have 5000+ points, 2000+ assists and 1500+ rebounds. Whalen has two Olympic gold medals under her belt, three WNBA titles, and five All-Star game appearances.
Post #: 2826
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/17/2016 8:06:07 PM   
kgdabom

Lynx got up at least 15 today, but the Dream are chipping away at the lead down to 9 now. Super high scoring half with a few seconds to go and it closes 59-50. Lynx shooting over 60% but still only up the 9.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2827
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/17/2016 8:17:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Nice to be the team everyone shoots for.
Chicago acted like they won the title.

It was a big game for them for seeding.

I kind of wish Reeve had stuck to not playing her starters so much in a game we didn't need. Part of what has really kept us fresh is how she's managed minutes. Seimone and Whalen are averaging career lows at only around 24.

It was nice of Big Syl to foul out in 21 to keep her minutes in check.

I don't think being fresh in the playoffs is going to be a concern. I think they get a lot of time off with the two round bye.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2828
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/17/2016 11:41:36 PM   
El Duderino

Yeah, but keep in mind those two rounds are one game each, so it's still not a huge layoff.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 2829
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/18/2016 12:12:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

Yeah, but keep in mind those two rounds are one game each, so it's still not a huge layoff.

Yup. Only 10 days until our 1st game.
Post #: 2830
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/18/2016 3:52:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

Yup. Only 10 days until our 1st game.

If 10 days isn't enough to get fresh it might be enough to get Rusty.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2831
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/26/2016 11:50:29 AM   
kgdabom

The more things change the more they remain the same. The Lynx will have to eliminate Phoenix once again to make it to the finals.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/17631647/streaking-phoenix-mercury-face-top-seeded-minnesota-lynx-wnba-semifinals

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2832
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/27/2016 7:25:06 PM   
David Levine

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Lindsay Whalen hobbled through the regular season last year. She hobbled through the playoffs. She even hobbled through the Minnesota Lynx championship celebration.

And so when it came time to head overseas for an 11th straight winter to go cash in on a can't-miss opportunity to make the kind of money that just isn't available to women's basketball players in the United States, Whalen decided she had enough.

Her ankle, Achilles tendon and back were telling her to stay home. So were family members who had grown so accustomed to her being gone through the holidays. As her career enters the final few years, she decided to give her body a mental and physical break from the year-round grind she had been doing for so long. And it was one of the best decisions she's ever made.

"It was hard sometimes. But about a week into training camp I was so thankful," Whalen said. "I was so fresh. I felt great. I felt healthy. I felt I was really enjoying everything. Playing for years upon years straight, at times it will be a little much."

A rejuvenated Whalen helped push the Lynx to the best record in the WNBA and homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs, which continue when they host the Phoenix Mercury in Game 1 of the semifinals on Wednesday.

Last year at this time, Whalen had missed four straight games in the regular season and was a question mark going into the postseason. She found a way to gut through the pain in her legs, which culminated with the franchise's third championship. But at 34 years old, it was time to take a step back.

Whalen had played overseas for a decade, often earning $600,000 a year or more in Russia or Turkey. It's life-changing money, and for players with finite careers, it can be difficult to pass up.

"I've been juggling this decision for about three years," Lynx guard Seimone Augustus said. "More often than not, at the end of the year we start talking to teams overseas about new contracts, and the money is just so good, you're like, 'All right I was thinking about taking time off, but ... .'"

It can actually go in reverse. Mercury star Diana Taurasi sat out the entire WNBA season last year at the behest of her team in Russia, which paid her nearly $1.5 million in 2015.

"They offered to pay me to rest and I've decided to take them up on it," Taurasi wrote in a letter to Mercury fans at the time. "I want to be able to take care of myself and my family when I am done playing."

Taurasi returned to the WNBA this season, and also teamed with Whalen, Augustus and Team USA to win gold at the Rio Games. And while the Mercury struggled to find their footing early in the season, they have taken off in the playoffs with wins over Indiana and New York in the first two single-elimination rounds of the tournament, setting up the five-game series with Minnesota that will feature 11 Olympians.

The WNBA is the more prestigious league for the players, but the maximum salaries stateside are $111,500. Good money, but not overseas money.

"She made a very tough decision because making money overseas, opportunities to earn that kind of money once these players are done playing isn't going to be there," Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve said of Whalen. "There is no job they're going to transition into that is going to pay them $600-700,000. So you can't blame them for wanting to earn that as long as they can."

The 32-year-old Augustus said being home with family during the holidays, and seeing how well Whalen has played this year, have her thinking she will finally stay home this winter.

"Lindsay looks amazing," Augustus said. "The quickness, the speed, the agility. That's how I want to feel coming into next year."

The way Whalen sees it, there was no decision to make.

"My body showed me last year when I wasn't able to play," Whalen said. "That's what showed me when it was time to stop. Each player will have to make that decision when it's time to go."
Post #: 2833
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/27/2016 7:33:15 PM   
SoMnFan

Its a shame they still have to supplement their income this way (playing overseas)
They're basically treated at the level of 1940s Pro Football players.
You've come a long way baby.

Love Lindsay. Hope she plays for as damn long as she wants. She's been Minnesota's best representative and WINNER.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2834
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/27/2016 7:38:26 PM   
David Levine

Doesn't exactly paint Taurasi in the best light, does it?
Post #: 2835
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 7:40:34 PM   
SoMnFan

Lynx look reallllll good.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2836
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 7:44:03 PM  1 votes
David Levine

Whalen looks 5 years younger out there.

Looks like her financial sacrifice is really helping.
Post #: 2837
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 7:54:24 PM   
David Levine

Can't ask for a better half.

Bit of a sluggish start, but a killer 2nd quarter, stretching the lead from 1 to 17.

Keep it rolling.
Post #: 2838
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 8:23:41 PM   
David Levine

Phoenix is shooting 54% and it doesn't matter...

26-11 on the boards and the lead is 23.

Wow.
Post #: 2839
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 8:24:03 PM   
David Levine

Its amazing. They have Griner and they can't rebound or defend.
Post #: 2840
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 8:25:02 PM   
TJSweens

Commentator just uttered "Phoenix has no answer".

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2841
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 8:27:51 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Commentator just uttered "Phoenix has no answer".

They don't. All they can hope is to outscore us in a shootout.

But we're so much better at every other aspect of the game.
Post #: 2842
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 8:52:46 PM   
David Levine

4:30 left and we just matched the franchise high for points in a playoff game.
Post #: 2843
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 9:00:26 PM   
David Levine

109 points with 2:17 left.

Most points ever in a WNBA regulation playoff game.
Post #: 2844
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 9:04:44 PM   
TJSweens

Looks like the Xcel Energy Center was made for the Lynx. What a beat down.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2845
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 9:06:15 PM   
David Levine

The stars were out tonight.

Maya: 31 points, 8 rebounds
Lindsay: 19 points, 7 assists
Big Syl: 16 points, 10 rebounds

And good play from Brunson, Seimone, Cruz, Howard, Montgomery...

2 rebounds for Griner.
Post #: 2846
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 9:14:56 PM   
TJSweens

It's amazing how Fowles just dominates Griner every time they go head to head.

Post #: 2847
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 11:23:28 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Should not happen
Griners a real head case.
She seemed bad ass in college, but shes meek in this league.
Too many big girls. Not the bully she thought she was.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2848
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 11:27:00 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Should not happen
Griners a real head case.
She seemed bad ass in college, but shes meek in this league.
Too many big girls. Not the bully she thought she was.

I always get the feeling she plays ball because she's supposed to - and can make a lot of money doing it. But I don't get that she loves the game.

She should be in the conversation for best player in the league.
Post #: 2849
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 11:27:18 PM   
SoMnFan

Lindsays biggest supporter here, so don't fry me ... but (and I know how touchy this is) ... she's looking a lot "bigger".
Certainly not hurting her so far, but she's a brute out there.
Love watching her get in the ear of the young over-active back-up PG for them ... the girl was all up in her, getting shovey. Lindsay just takes her down in the paint and forces it in right over her head.
You could see her go right into that gals ear all the way down the court. She's got some swag to her. Was like ... "chill, kid, its a 24 point game"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2850
Page:   <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode