Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 11:28:40 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

It's amazing how Fowles just dominates Griner every time they go head to head.

Should not happen
Griners a real head case.
She seemed bad ass in college, but shes meek in this league.
Too many big girls. Not the bully she thought she was.

I always get the feeling she plays ball because she's supposed to - and can make a lot of money doing it. But I don't get that she loves the game.

She should be in the conversation for best player in the league.

Agreed
Perfectly said
Plays because she should

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2851
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 11:31:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

It's amazing how Fowles just dominates Griner every time they go head to head.

Should not happen
Griners a real head case.
She seemed bad ass in college, but shes meek in this league.
Too many big girls. Not the bully she thought she was.

I always get the feeling she plays ball because she's supposed to - and can make a lot of money doing it. But I don't get that she loves the game.

She should be in the conversation for best player in the league.

Agreed
Perfectly said
Plays because she should

Its the same feeling I got watching Ralph Sampson's kid at the U.

He just oozed ability - and showed flashes of great skill, but never looked like he gave a damn. If you can just "go through the motions" while playing, that's what he did.

The difference between Griner and him, is that she's a physical freak compared to her peers and he's just another guy.
Post #: 2852
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 11:36:37 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Lindsays biggest supporter here, so don't fry me ... but (and I know how touchy this is) ... she's looking a lot "bigger".
Certainly not hurting her so far, but she's a brute out there.
Love watching her get in the ear of the young over-active back-up PG for them ... the girl was all up in her, getting shovey. Lindsay just takes her down in the paint and forces it in right over her head.
You could see her go right into that gals ear all the way down the court. She's got some swag to her. Was like ... "chill, kid, its a 24 point game"

She's always been a really physical player. Maybe one of the best in WNBA history at forcing her way into the paint and bullying her defender.

Just at her listed height/weight of 5'9, 160, she's a load. That's like 3 inches shorter, but only 5 pounds lighter than a guy like Allen Iverson.

But yeah, she's always been built a bit like a brick house, so its not surprising if she's added a few lbs as she's hit her mid 30s.
Post #: 2853
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/28/2016 11:51:52 PM   
SoMnFan

Brought me back to my playing days, had just one dude in town (my size) I could never get the best of.
We were the same height but I was a rail and he had a 75 pound ass and when he decided to back me down and in there wasn't a damn thing I could do but foul the hell out of him.
I love seeing that happen on this much bigger scale. Every advantage I had in quickness, he negated with the junk he had in the trunk.
And if they get good at disguising when they will shoot, you simply can't get close enough to rise up and block anything. Frustrating as hell. The smart ones use it.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2854
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/29/2016 9:53:15 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Lindsays biggest supporter here, so don't fry me ... but (and I know how touchy this is) ... she's looking a lot "bigger".
Certainly not hurting her so far, but she's a brute out there.
Love watching her get in the ear of the young over-active back-up PG for them ... the girl was all up in her, getting shovey. Lindsay just takes her down in the paint and forces it in right over her head.
You could see her go right into that gals ear all the way down the court. She's got some swag to her. Was like ... "chill, kid, its a 24 point game"

She's always been a really physical player. Maybe one of the best in WNBA history at forcing her way into the paint and bullying her defender.

Just at her listed height/weight of 5'9, 160, she's a load. That's like 3 inches shorter, but only 5 pounds lighter than a guy like Allen Iverson.

But yeah, she's always been built a bit like a brick house, so its not surprising if she's added a few lbs as she's hit her mid 30s.

When she quit playing Euro ball she stayed in town and practically lived in the new Mayo work out facility. She supposedly did a lot of work on her legs and core, so it isn't surprising that she might look a little thicker. She also wears a lot of padding under her uniform since she plays an extremely physical game. Total bully with other point guards and she goes bouncing off of bigs in the lane like a pinball off of bumpers. She and Simone were both so beaten up by the playoffs last year they were largely ineffective for a lot of the games. Completely different story this year. They are both healthy and in great shape and playing great.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2855
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/30/2016 10:22:14 AM   
David Levine

Doug Feinberg@DougFeinberg
And the AP Defensive Player of the Year is @SylviaFowles of the @minnesotalynx

This is the third time in her career she has won the award, as she won in 2011 and 2013.
Post #: 2856
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/30/2016 11:52:41 AM   
David Levine

The WNBA announced today, Cheryl Reeve is this year’s Coach of the Year. This season Reeve led her Minnesota team to a franchise record, 28 wins and only six losses. Reeve has been with the Lynx for seven years, winning Coach of the Year twice; she first won the award back in 2011.

In her time with Minnesota, Reeve has a regular season of 168-70 record which is the most wins the franchise has seen. Behind her leadership, the Lynx have won three WNBA Championships and are seeking a fourth
Post #: 2857
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/30/2016 3:46:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Doug Feinberg@DougFeinberg
And the AP Defensive Player of the Year is @SylviaFowles of the @minnesotalynx

This is the third time in her career she has won the award, as she won in 2011 and 2013.

Fowles choosing to force her way onto Minnesota is the reason we have remained the best team in the league. We are so lucky about that. With her we can't be bullied in the post like we sometimes were before she came.

Congrats to Ogwumike on winning the MVP, but it is kind of like when Malone won the MVP over Jordan. Yes the stats were in Malone's favor, but when push came to shove you knew Jordan was still the better player. Maya is still the better player over Ogwumike.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2858
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/30/2016 7:49:34 PM   
El Duderino

Is it just me, or are they calling touch fouls against the Lynx, while letting the Mercury play unless it's blatant?

The Dude Abides
Post #: 2859
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/30/2016 7:53:05 PM   
El Duderino

Seriously, a slight bump by the Lynx is an and 1. A Mercury player goes up and lands on a Lynx who's laying it in, and no foul. BS.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 2860
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 9/30/2016 9:22:04 PM   
Black 47

And once again last two minutes taking half an hour. Ends of games are unwatchable. Endless fouls. Endless timeouts. Takes away from the game as a whole.
Post #: 2861
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/1/2016 7:54:55 AM   
kgdabom

Lynx with a two to zero lead. Wrap it up now ladies.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2862
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/2/2016 4:19:06 PM   
David Levine

Sparks lose, so they're going at least 4.
Post #: 2863
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/2/2016 5:53:12 PM   
David Levine

Lynx pulling away hard.

Natasha Howard has come up huge with Syl in foul trouble.

And even with foul trouble, she's basically playing Griner even up.

8 and 5 in only 19 minutes for Syl.
9 and 7 in 34 for Griner.
Post #: 2864
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/2/2016 6:09:31 PM   
David Levine

Sweep.

Time to rest while LA plays at least 1 more.
Post #: 2865
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/2/2016 6:58:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Sweep.

Time to rest while LA plays at least 1 more.

The Lynx are an old very experienced team. The rest will do them loads of good. Go Lynx. They have a shot at 4 titles in six years. Can you imagine if any of our mens teams did that?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 10/3/2016 1:42:04 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2866
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/3/2016 11:19:09 AM   
SoMnFan

How bout dem Lynx!
Stone cold Killaz

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2867
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/3/2016 11:35:44 AM   
TJSweens

I was a little worried when it was a 1 pt game at halftime. The Fowles picked up her 4th foul right away in the second half. Everybody up and down the lineup stepped up at various times and they won going away. Again, winners win. It's what they do.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2868
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/4/2016 11:24:23 AM   
David Levine

THE MINNESOTA LYNX ARE IN THE FINALS AGAIN, AND MAKING THE CASE FOR BEST EVER
October 3, 2016 Howard Megdal

The Phoenix Mercury, featuring Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner, won the 2014 WNBA title and were selected by a preseason poll of WNBA general managers to win this year's championship. Sunday afternoon, the Minnesota Lynx ended their season in a sweep, crushing the Mercury on their home floor, 82-67, in a game that wasn't even that close.

The win lifted Minnesota into the WNBA finals for the fifth time in six years. It also reinforced this Lynx team's case for best in league history.

The standard for WNBA teams was set early on by the Houston Comets. Those Comets teams won each of the first four WNBA titles in league history, from 1997-2000. Led by a trio of all-time greats—Cynthia Cooper, Tina Thompson, and Sheryl Swoopes—the Comets won in 1997 with an 18-10 record despite getting just nine games from Swoopes. From there, they showed their true dominance with a 27-3 record in 1998 and 26-6 in 1999, dropping a single game in each year's playoffs en route to titles. In 2000, they finished 27-5, and despite the postseason expanding to three rounds, the Comets didn't drop a game, completing their 6-0 postseason run with a 2-0 series win over the New York Liberty.

And then that was it. By 2001 the Comets were without Cooper and Swoopes. The latter returned in 2002, the former briefly in 2003, but they never again won a playoff series as a trio. So the run was four seasons, including three in which the Comets finished atop the league in both offensive and defensive ratings.

As for the Lynx, their trio of Maya Moore, Seimone Augustus, and Lindsay Whalen has been together since 2011, the second year of coach Cheryl Reeve's tenure with the team and Moore's rookie season. They finished 27-7 that year, raced through a longer WNBA playoff gauntlet than the one the Comets faced, and finished by sweeping the Atlanta Dream and Angel McCoughtry in what was her best season as a pro.

Their reign has continued ever since. It is notable that the only seasons that have interrupted their championships—2012 and 2014—required superhuman efforts by some of the greatest players in the history of the league. In 2012, it took Tamika Catchings doing everything—in the clinching game for the Indiana Fever, she scored 25 points, dished out eight assists, grabbed four rebounds and a steal, and blocked three shots. In 2014, Phoenix beat Minnesota because Diana Taurasi scored 31, made 12 of her 17 shot attempts, and added seven assists, five rebounds, a steal and a block in Game 3.

And that's it. Those are the only times this decade anyone has derailed the Lynx from winning it all.

While the Comets had four seasons as the best, the Lynx, after four years to rival Houston's, went out and got better, adding the league's best center, Sylvia Fowles, in a trade midway through 2015. It was the WNBA's version of Durant to the Warriors. The results were rocky at first—it required Reeve to completely reconfigure the offense and a host of accomplished Olympians to buy in.

They did, and in time for the Lynx to win the 2015 title, and for Fowles to earn WNBA Finals MVP honors.

This season, the Lynx have been the best they've ever been. They finished atop the league with a 28-6 record. They were first in offensive rating, first in defensive rating. The Mercury came into the semifinal series against them on a high, having just gone to New York and defeated the third-best team in the Liberty.

And in none of the three games did Phoenix make it particularly close. Griner, who'd been unstoppable since returning from the Olympics, scored just two points in Game 2, and nine points in Game 3, with Fowles serving as the ultimate equalizer. Taurasi got hers, but the rest of the Mercury looked like they understood Reeve's Lynx were inevitable. And so they were.

To win a WNBA championship in 2016, they'll need to beat the league's second-best regular season team, the Los Angeles Sparks, who feature current MVP Nneka Ogwumike and former MVP Candace Parker, or a Chicago Sky team that could get 2015 MVP Elena Delle Donne back from injury in time for the finals. The Sparks lead the Sky in their best-of-five series, two games to one.

If the Lynx complete this six-year run with a fourth title, it will be hard to argue any team's been any better in the history of the WNBA. And frighteningly for the league, there's no sign these Lynx are anywhere close to finished making history.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight/the-minnesota-lynx-are-in-the-finals-again-and-making-the-case-for-best-ever
Post #: 2869
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/7/2016 10:29:21 AM   
kgdabom

Shocker it's the Lynx vs Sparks for the WNBA title. Who'd of thunk it. Go Lynx.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2870
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/7/2016 3:16:28 PM   
David Levine

An excellent piece:

The Emergence of Natasha Howard
The third year forward has been a revelation off the bench for the Lynx this season.

by Eric in Madison Oct 7, 2016, 2:46p

http://www.canishoopus.com/2016/10/7/13199456/emergence-of-natasha-howard-lynx-wnba-finals
Post #: 2871
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/8/2016 11:55:35 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

THE MINNESOTA LYNX ARE IN THE FINALS AGAIN, AND MAKING THE CASE FOR BEST EVER
October 3, 2016 Howard Megdal

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight/the-minnesota-lynx-are-in-the-finals-again-and-making-the-case-for-best-ever

Nice try but this article is a piece of swiss cheese. To leave out any mentions of Rebekkah Brunson, trying to match the Houston Big 3 comparison, short changes this Lynx reign.

Its a different time and more competitive league from the first 4 years. Fact: since 2010 Augustus, Whalen, Brunson and adding Moore in 2011, are the cornerstones. Reeve and assistant Shelley Patterson already have rings on all 5 fingers on 1 hand and are working on filling the other hand. Jim Pete played in an NBA Finals and was a huge addition to the staff. Seriously, what an incredible foundation to build around.
Some fabulous supporting players have been added & moved on during this reign. Clearly everything this franchise has enjoyed over the last 7 yrs has been built & nurtured by the core 7.
Post #: 2872
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/9/2016 12:25:45 AM   
Minnyme

My prediction; I do think LA if they play at the top of their game could go toe to toe with our Lynx. Both teams are basically healthy and that's what should help to make for some great games. (if the refs don't get in the way )

I say whoever wins game 1 wins the series. But I think our Lynx experience and depth should put them over the top. So, Lynx in 4 .... but, a sweep wouldn't surprise me going 5 kinda would Come what may, looking forward to at least 3 games

FINALS SCHEDULE all times central time

Sunday, 10/09/2016
Los Angeles @ Minnesota, 2:00 PM ABC

Tuesday, 10/11/2016
Los Angeles @ Minnesota, 7:00 PM ESPN2

Friday, 10/14/2016
Minnesota @ Los Angeles, 8:00 PM^ ESPN2

Sunday, 10/16/2016
Minnesota @ Los Angeles, 7:30 PM* ESPN

Thursday, 10/20/2016
Los Angeles @ Minnesota, 7:00 PM* ESPN2

*if necessary
^Game will not be played at Staples.

GO LYNX !!!
Post #: 2873
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/9/2016 4:15:14 PM   
David Levine

Crap.
Post #: 2874
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/9/2016 5:14:00 PM   
SoMnFan

Crapola.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2875
Page:   <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode