Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/20/2016 11:45:40 PM   
SoMnFan

Dead wrong on this one, really expected a ten-point Lynx cruise to another title.
Sucks to be wrong.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2926
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/21/2016 8:01:46 AM   
Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Love Reeve's feistiness.
Liked her comments re: they want women to invest fully, to care, and yet they have inferior reffing.
The end of most of these games have been shitshowz.

The flopping LA got away with was disgusting. ALL SERIES LONG.
Post #: 2927
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/21/2016 10:50:10 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Love Reeve's feistiness.
Liked her comments re: they want women to invest fully, to care, and yet they have inferior reffing.
The end of most of these games have been shitshowz.

My problem with the shot after the clock expired is it seemed the refs knew the shot clock had expired, but they allowed the shot with the plan to review it later. It turns out that reviewing it later was against the rules, but they could have reviewed it immediately. Did these refs not know the rules?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2928
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/21/2016 6:00:02 PM   
David Levine

"After reviewing postgame video, we have determined that Nneka Ogwumike’s shot with 1:14 remaining in regulation time should not have counted due to a shot-clock violation, and that the referees improperly failed to review the play under the instant replay rules," said Brown this morning.

--Renee Brown, WNBA Chief of Basketball Operations and Player Relations
Post #: 2929
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/21/2016 6:01:48 PM   
David Levine

We still had every chance to win. Hell, If Brunson hits both her Its, its at least overtime.

But it sucks how the refs can be aware of something and still blow it that badly.
Post #: 2930
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/21/2016 6:22:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

"After reviewing postgame video, we have determined that Nneka Ogwumike’s shot with 1:14 remaining in regulation time should not have counted due to a shot-clock violation, and that the referees improperly failed to review the play under the instant replay rules," said Brown this morning.

--Renee Brown, WNBA Chief of Basketball Operations and Player Relations

Refs will blow calls every single game. However, in this instance this confirms my suspicion that the refs didn't know the rules. Very hard to take losing a championship because the refs don't know the rules.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2931
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/22/2016 8:57:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The playoff atmosphere was something I can't even remember at a Wolves game. Anyway, I understand that the refs also gave a foul to the wrong player. It should have been a foul out for the Sparks player who hit the game winner. It was a bad last two minutes for the refs and everybody knows it. It doesn't help to point that out, though.

My sense is this will be the last one for the Lynx. Am i being too gloomy? It just feels that the Lynx players are aging. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully the men will pick up the slack, now. They have a chance to be good even this year. Shame on them if they don't make the playoffs this season.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2932
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/24/2016 12:24:57 AM   
Minnyme

Man prediction #1 proved to be all I had.

The atmosphere was unreal. People really did fill the rafters of TC and it got as loud as I've ever experienced for a basketball game and probably ever at TC. Got the chills a couple of times.

Didn’t feel sorry for LA w/what happened in gm4 as they had multiple opportunities to have made a difference before then. But the refs shouldn’t have missed the 8 sec call.

Was hard for me to feel bad for our Lynx as throughout the game I was counting up their "missed opportunities” that could come back to bite them if the game was close and that fear played out.

I hurt for them more than anything because they knew they missed chances to not be in the position they ended up in without the refs help. And they still almost won

But this was a bigger screw up by the refs then in gm 4 because for me. In gm 4, we’re talking about only a change of possession & who knows what happens. Whereas the gm 5 screw up awarded LA points and left MN without a time out used earlier in hopes the refs would review that ‘no basket’.

Ultimately Lynx got out played at the worst time in the 4th qtr and yet still had a chance to win.
But Reeve & co had a BIG miss when they had Ogwumike & Toliver in foul trouble much of the game and late didn’t attack either one enough. Never posted up Augustus or ran enough plays for her to take advantage of Toliver. Had they gotten Toliver out, Carson was next up off the bench w/foul trouble herself. Other things that stuck with me; In the 1st qtr Fowles & Brunson had 3 maybe 4 shots in 1 possession to put in a bunny & there were other missed gimmes; Brunson missed FT late; of course other missed FT if we want to go there; Reeve waited a bit too late to put Perkins on Gray who was eating Whalen alive late in the 4th. And maybe, worst of all, they got out rebounded.

People keep talking about age and eventually they’ll be right but I do think they have another run in them Most of the team is signed so I expect majority back. McCarville gotta be gone. Not sure about Cruz plans. We need another post and a PG prospect Montgomery not the answer.

Darn it, this was a championship they gave away to another good time that was decided on 1 possession. There were plenty to choose from sadly.
Post #: 2933
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/24/2016 12:42:26 AM   
David Levine

I wonder why Reeve completely went away from Howard? She was so big for us down the stretch and against Phoenix, but she was mostly glued to the bench against LA. And she played quite well in 2 of the 3 regular season LAS games.
Post #: 2934
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/27/2016 10:14:25 PM   
Minnyme

Some wrapping up ...

http://www.startribune.com/coach-says-lynx-not-too-old-to-keeping-winning-next-season/398000451/

All of them are committed to giving the Lynx their best, Reeve said, after what she called “one of the most fulfilling seasons” of her career. Though she was still bruised Friday after a wrenching loss that included an officiating error, the prospect of next season brightened her mood.

“I’d like to think if this group is together, we’ll continue to be one of the better teams in the league,” Reeve said. “It’s hard to project that right now, but I like the way this team got ready. I like the way they prepared their bodies. I like the commitment we made to each other and how much they cared for each other, and the commitment to winning no matter what.

Coach Cheryl Reeve said Friday that her team plans to combat it aggressively. Lindsay Whalen and Rebekkah Brunson, both 34, will skip overseas play this winter and stay in Minneapolis to prepare for next summer’s WNBA season. Augustus will do the same, spending the winter in her hometown of Baton Rouge, La.

All of them are committed to giving the Lynx their best, Reeve said, after what she called “one of the most fulfilling seasons” of her career. Though she was still bruised Friday after a wrenching loss that included an officiating error, the prospect of next season brightened her mood.

“I’d like to think if this group is together, we’ll continue to be one of the better teams in the league,” Reeve said. “It’s hard to project that right now, but I like the way this team got ready. I like the way they prepared their bodies. I like the commitment we made to each other and how much they cared for each other, and the commitment to winning no matter what.
Post #: 2935
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 1/27/2017 2:10:27 PM   
David Levine

Post #: 2936
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/6/2017 9:54:07 PM   
Minnyme

Lynx hire James Wade as new assistant coach:

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-name-james-wade-assistant-coach/

"With the Lynx, Wade will assist in the team’s scouting efforts, talent evaluation, and player development."
Post #: 2937
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/6/2017 9:55:37 PM   
Minnyme

Getting to be that time of the year

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2017-prospects-kelsey-plum-south-carolina-official-release/

Thursday, April 13 at Samsung 837 in New York. ESPN2 will provide coverage and analysis of the first round beginning at 7 p.m. ET, and ESPNU will air the second and third rounds starting at 8 p.m. ET

Among the invitees, Hopkins HS's own Nia Coffey. I'd love to have her on the Lynx but I expect her to be a mid 1st round pick.

http://lynx.wnba.com/schedule/#?season=2017&seasontype=02

Only 1 home pre-season game on Fri May 5th at Xcel Center, 7pm tip

Season opens Sat May 13th. Lynx open at their new summer home at Xcel on Sun May 14 hosting the Chicago Sky @6pm
Post #: 2938
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2017 8:02:04 PM   
Minnyme

Hopkins HS alum Nia Coffey selected #5 in WNBA draft to San Antonio Stars

Our Lynx selected a guard out of Baylor, Alexis Jones

Jones, a 5-9 guard from Irving, TX., averaged 13.2 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game this season en route to being selected as a 2017 Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American and a unanimous first team All-Big 12 selection. ...

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-select-alexis-jones-12th-overall-pick-2017-wnba-draft/

Richfield native, soon to be DePaul alum Jessica January was drafted with 28th pick by the Connecticut Sun
Post #: 2939
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/13/2017 10:43:03 PM   
David Levine

Jones can really shoot. Something that we need badly.

Hopefully she can work her way into the rotation.
Post #: 2940
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/14/2017 4:16:28 PM   
David Levine

The Minnesota Lynx have exchanged forwards with the Chicago Sky. The Lynx acquired the draft rights to Chantel Osahor, while sending Keisha Hampton to the Sky.

The 6-foot-2 Osahor was taken with the 21st overall pick in Thursday’s WNBA Draft by Chicago. Last season at the University of Washington she led the nation in rebounds per game (15.8) and double-doubles (30) and was second on the Huskies in points per game (15.8) and assists (140).

Osahor is just the second player in Washington history to reach 1,000 point and 1,000 rebounds.

Hampton played in 27 games for Minnesota last season, averaging 2.6 points, 0.4 rebounds in 6.8 minutes per game.
Post #: 2941
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/14/2017 4:33:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

The Minnesota Lynx have exchanged forwards with the Chicago Sky. The Lynx acquired the draft rights to Chantel Osahor, while sending Keisha Hampton to the Sky.

The 6-foot-2 Osahor was taken with the 21st overall pick in Thursday’s WNBA Draft by Chicago. Last season at the University of Washington she led the nation in rebounds per game (15.8) and double-doubles (30) and was second on the Huskies in points per game (15.8) and assists (140).

Osahor is just the second player in Washington history to reach 1,000 point and 1,000 rebounds.

Hampton played in 27 games for Minnesota last season, averaging 2.6 points, 0.4 rebounds in 6.8 minutes per game.

I love rebounders. Kind of like offensive line in football they aren't the sexy picks but they do the dirty work that leads to wins.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2942
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/6/2017 1:12:44 PM   
TJSweens

It's just a preseason game, but there already appears to be some serious competition for depth roles on the team. Temi Fagbenle, Chantel Osahor and Shao Ting all had strong outings last night.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2943
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/8/2017 9:22:56 PM   
SoMnFan

Mechelle Voepel
espnW.com

We're picking up this WNBA season where we left off last year: The Lynx and the Sparks appear to be the top two teams, which is where they finished in 2016 with a thrill-packed WNBA Finals that went the distance.

We start 2017 with the usual caveats: There will be late arrivals from overseas; it will take some teams longer than others to adjust to that; and chemistry is very hard to predict.

"There are always the teams that everybody is talking about," Minnesota coach Cheryl Reeve said. "But each season brings a surprise -- maybe somebody who's gotten better and might be a contender."

With that in mind, here are the espnW preseason WNBA power rankings.

1. Minnesota Lynx

Ah, the agony of just missing a fourth title last year! But the Lynx are all the more motivated, led by a perennial MVP candidate, forward Maya Moore, and her 19.3 points per game. This team does everything well. Last season, with their offensive (107.2) and defensive (96.4) ratings, the Lynx had the top net rating (10.9). That such a disciplined, balanced squad lost the championship on a putback in Game 5 was agonizing for Reeve and her players.

But they aren't dwelling on that now. With gold-standard veterans such as Moore, Lindsay Whalen, Seimone Augustus, Rebekkah Brunson and Sylvia Fowles back, the Lynx remain hungry and focused on being the best again.
Last season: 28-6, lost in WNBA Finals

2. Los Angeles Sparks

And who hit that shot to beat the Lynx? Nneka Ogwumike, whose 2016 season was flat-out fabulous. Her 9.45 win shares were fourth best in WNBA history, and her 31.5 player efficiency rating ranked ninth best. Ogwumike (19.7 points per game, 9.1 rebounds per game) and Candace Parker (15.3, 7.4) were a dream post duo. And everyone else did her job well too, especially forward Jantel Lavender and guards Alana Beard and Kristi Toliver.

But Toliver is gone to the Mystics now, and the Sparks will have some new faces, especially on the perimeter, with Riquna Williams (out with injury last year) and Odyssey Sims (traded from Dallas). The Sparks could repeat, but they'll have to forge a little different identity.
Last season: 26-8, won WNBA Finals
Post #: 2944
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/8/2017 11:40:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Mechelle Voepel
espnW.com

We're picking up this WNBA season where we left off last year: The Lynx and the Sparks appear to be the top two teams, which is where they finished in 2016 with a thrill-packed WNBA Finals that went the distance.

We start 2017 with the usual caveats: There will be late arrivals from overseas; it will take some teams longer than others to adjust to that; and chemistry is very hard to predict.

"There are always the teams that everybody is talking about," Minnesota coach Cheryl Reeve said. "But each season brings a surprise -- maybe somebody who's gotten better and might be a contender."

With that in mind, here are the espnW preseason WNBA power rankings.

1. Minnesota Lynx

Ah, the agony of just missing a fourth title last year! But the Lynx are all the more motivated, led by a perennial MVP candidate, forward Maya Moore, and her 19.3 points per game. This team does everything well. Last season, with their offensive (107.2) and defensive (96.4) ratings, the Lynx had the top net rating (10.9). That such a disciplined, balanced squad lost the championship on a putback in Game 5 was agonizing for Reeve and her players.

But they aren't dwelling on that now. With gold-standard veterans such as Moore, Lindsay Whalen, Seimone Augustus, Rebekkah Brunson and Sylvia Fowles back, the Lynx remain hungry and focused on being the best again.
Last season: 28-6, lost in WNBA Finals

2. Los Angeles Sparks

And who hit that shot to beat the Lynx? Nneka Ogwumike, whose 2016 season was flat-out fabulous. Her 9.45 win shares were fourth best in WNBA history, and her 31.5 player efficiency rating ranked ninth best. Ogwumike (19.7 points per game, 9.1 rebounds per game) and Candace Parker (15.3, 7.4) were a dream post duo. And everyone else did her job well too, especially forward Jantel Lavender and guards Alana Beard and Kristi Toliver.

But Toliver is gone to the Mystics now, and the Sparks will have some new faces, especially on the perimeter, with Riquna Williams (out with injury last year) and Odyssey Sims (traded from Dallas). The Sparks could repeat, but they'll have to forge a little different identity.
Last season: 26-8, won WNBA Finals

Seeing the claim that we lost and they won makes me sick. It's one thing for refs to blow calls another for them to not know the rules. That two points they got that was obviously messed up should have never happened. To me we are last years champions whether the game was awarded to us or not.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2945
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/9/2017 2:14:15 PM   
TJSweens

The Lynx cut 3 players including Chantel Osahor who they traded for after the draft. They are at the league maximum 12 players, but apparently will have to cut 1 more and go with 11 because of salary cap issues. Really sucks because they are going to cut a good player. First round pick Alexis Jones, C/G Temi Fagbenle who fell to the 3rd round last year because whoever drafted her had to wait for her to finish grad school and Shao Ting, Syl's teammate from China are competing for the last 2 spots. It sounds like all 3 have had really good camps.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2946
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/9/2017 7:58:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The Lynx cut 3 players including Chantel Osahor who they traded for after the draft. They are at the league maximum 12 players, but apparently will have to cut 1 more and go with 11 because of salary cap issues. Really sucks because they are going to cut a good player. First round pick Alexis Jones, C/G Temi Fagbenle who fell to the 3rd round last year because whoever drafted her had to wait for her to finish grad school and Shao Ting, Syl's teammate from China are competing for the last 2 spots. It sounds like all 3 have had really good camps.

Wow we never even got to know her. Those we are keeping over her better be good.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2947
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/12/2017 9:14:53 AM   
TJSweens

Reeves is now saying that it is possible that the Lynx could find a way to fit all 12 players under the cap. They have until 4:00 PM today to submit their final roster.

Post #: 2948
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/12/2017 10:50:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Reeves is now saying that it is possible that the Lynx could find a way to fit all 12 players under the cap. They have until 4:00 PM today to submit their final roster.

12 would be better than 11. Who is going to sacrifice to help pay that final roster spot? Are there other teams with this dilemma?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2949
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/15/2017 7:41:11 AM   
TJSweens

Typical Lynx opener. The Lynx win, Fowles dominated and Reeves is pissed off at both the team and big Syl.

Post #: 2950
Page:   <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode