Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  155 156 [157] 158 159   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/15/2021 7:07:53 PM   
David Levine

Rennia Davis is officially a professional basketball player. The Minnesota Lynx selected the LVFL with the ninth overall pick in the first round of the WNBA draft. She's the first Lady Vol to be selected in the first round since Diamond DeShields in 2018.

Davis had a historic four-year career on Rocky Top. The Jacksonville, Florida native finished her Tennessee tenure top 10 in points, points per game, rebounds and rebounds per game. Chamique Holdsclaw, Candace Parker and Tamika Catchings are the only other former Lady Vols to accomplish that. They were all first round WNBA draft picks. Davis is also top 10 in double-doubles, 20-point games, free throw percentage and field goals.

Davis collected a plethora of honors and awards at Tennessee. She earned AP All-America honorable mentions twice and made the Coaches All-SEC First Team twice. In 2019, she made the Coaches and AP All-SEC Second Team. In 2018, she earned a spot on the SEC All-Freshmen team. After her final season, Davis took home the Senior CLASS Award, which is given to the most outstanding student-athlete in Division I women's basketball.

In her senior season, Davis led the Lady Vols with 17.8 points per game and 8.8 rebounds per game. That paced Tennessee on the way to its 39th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance.

https://www.wbir.com/article/sports/college/vols/rennia-davis-drafted-to-minnesota-lynx/51-2af2797e-1875-406a-902c-b897774b5af0
Post #: 3901
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/15/2021 7:08:26 PM   
David Levine

“Her skill set is similar to some former really good players in this program, but the way she plays, the smoothness, she’s just really unique.”

Rennia Davis will go down in history with some of Tennessee’s greats.

https://theathletic.com/2452512/
Post #: 3902
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/15/2021 7:13:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Good pick?

Very IMO.

Rennia Davis' next chapter is under way.

The Tennessee Lady Vols star was selected ninth by the Minnesota Lynx in Thursday night's WNBA Draft.

She is the first Lady Vol to be selected in the first round since Diamond DeShields was taken third overall by the Sky in 2018.

The 6-foot-2 Davis is the first player to be drafted in the Kellie Harper era.

“I think the world of Rennia Davis," ESPN analyst LaChina Robinson said on April 9. "She’s an incredible athlete, first and foremost. I mean, look at her size, her wingspan, how she runs the floor, her catching ability, and then her shooting. ... When you are a 6-footer or 6-2 and can play the three through five (positions) and can guard two or three different positions, that’s big."

Davis was an SEC All-First Team member in 2019-20 and 2020-21, as well as an AP All-America honorable mention in both seasons.

She at least tied to lead the Lady Vols in scoring in each of the past three seasons, averaging 15.4 points and eight rebounds for her career. In her four years in Knoxville, she was a starter in 116 out of 118 games.

Davis is one of just four Lady Vols to finish her career top 10 in scoring (ninth; 1,815) and rebounds (10th; 947). The others are Chamique Holdsclaw, Candace Parker and Tamika Catchings.

Davis also finished top 10 in career double-doubles (fourth; 39), points per game (ninth; 15.4), rebounds per game (sixth; 8.03), free-throw percentage, field goals attempted and field goals made.

'We still feel the guilt:' Tyler Summitt, son of legendary coach, tries to move on from scandal
Return of Keyen Green, possibility of transfers will shape next Lady Vols team | Adams
Tennessee Lady Vols star Rennia Davis declares for WNBA Draft

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3903
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/16/2021 11:05:39 AM   
TJSweens

Well, pretty much every scouting/evaluation site that gives out draft grades has given the Lynx an A, for whatever that is worth. In fact teams that reached for need and passed on Davis got some pretty harsh grades.

Two years ago Reeve tried in vain to move up in the draft to get Napheesa Collier only to have her inexplicably fall into her lap at #6. If the Lynx shooting coach can work the same magic with Davis' 3 point shot as with Collier's this could be yet another draft steal for Reeve. I don't expect ROY for Davis though as the minutes are going to be a lot harder to come by on this roster.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3904
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/16/2021 11:28:57 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Well, pretty much every scouting/evaluation site that gives out draft grades has given the Lynx an A, for whatever that is worth. In fact teams that reached for need and passed on Davis got some pretty harsh grades.

Two years ago Reeve tried in vain to move up in the draft to get Napheesa Collier only to have her inexplicably fall into her lap at #6. If the Lynx shooting coach can work the same magic with Davis' 3 point shot as with Collier's this could be yet another draft steal for Reeve. I don't expect ROY for Davis though as the minutes are going to be a lot harder to come by on this roster.

Yup.

Davis has the potential to be the best player from this draft, but the Lynx are absolutely stacked.

As a rookie, she'll bring defense and athleticism off the bench.
Post #: 3905
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/16/2021 1:04:26 PM   
David Levine

ESPN gave us their 2nd highest grade for the draft.

Only behind the team that drafted 1st, 2nd, 5th and 13th.

Minnesota Lynx: A

Picks: 9. Rennia Davis, Tennessee, SF

With just one pick, it obviously wasn't a busy draft for the four-time WNBA champions, but coach/general manager Cheryl Reeve has to be happy that Davis, who seemed to have a lot of traction as a lottery pick, fell to No. 9.

Nobody is ever going to replace Maya Moore. But getting a 6-2 wing who can rebound and has good scoring potential seems like just what the Lynx were looking for.
Post #: 3906
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/14/2021 11:21:19 AM   
David Levine

Lynx opener is tonight. But we'll be shorthanded.

Collier & McBride are unlikely to play until the end of the month, as their European seasons were extended due to COVID.

Rookie Rennia Davis will be out indefinitely with a stress fracture in her foot.

Expect Powers to be a bit rusty. She hasn't played in a game since 8/7/20. She was held out of the two preseason scrimmages, but appears to be fully healthy now.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 5/14/2021 11:22:49 AM >
Post #: 3907
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/14/2021 1:18:14 PM   
TJSweens

On the plus side we will have a completely healthy Big Syl and the return of Jessica Shepherd.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3908
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/14/2021 1:51:54 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

On the plus side we will have a completely healthy Big Syl and the return of Jessica Shepherd.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the return of Maya Moore.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3909
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/14/2021 2:58:24 PM   
David Levine

3) Minnesota Lynx

The Minnesota Lynx are adding Kayla McBride, Aerial Powers, Natalie Achonwa, Rennia Davis and, hopefully, a fully-healthy Sylvia Fowles to a team that finished fourth in last season’s standings. Combine these additions with growth from Napheesa Collier and Crystal Dangerfield and the Lynx are poised to be a potent team, with a title absolutely not out of the question.

Due to last season’s glut of injuries, head coach Cheryl Reeve was forced to experiment with different styles of play, frequently trotting out small-ball lineups that relied on spacing and 3-point shooting for success. This season, the Lynx should be able to flummox opponents with a deeper arsenal of different lineup constructions and tactical approaches, from an even more powerful small-ball system, bolstered by the shooting of McBride and the versatility of Powers and Davis, to a brand of bully ball powered by a Fowles-Achonwa frontcourt. That Collier could very well be in the middle of the MVP conversation is further indication of Minnesota’s great potential.

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2021/4/25/22395789/wnba-2021-power-rankings-las-vegas-aces-aja-wilson-liz-cambage-sky-lynx-mystics-storm-mercury-sparks
Post #: 3910
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/14/2021 6:01:59 PM   
David Levine

Covid-Protocols:

McBride returned to MSP Wednesday, but apparently has to quarantine and produce a series of negative tests. Not sure when she is targeted to get through it but I understand may miss at least 2-3 games.

Collier as well when she finally returns from France. Her team plays in the French League championship game tomorrow. So she will be a few days behind McBride in the process.
Post #: 3911
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/14/2021 11:02:43 PM   
David Levine

McBride must’ve made it through protocols as she played in the loss tonight.
Post #: 3912
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/17/2021 9:40:03 AM   
TJSweens

Collier is now in town. She has to have 6 consecutive negative test results before she can play. It looks like she will miss two games.

Post #: 3913
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/27/2021 10:29:25 AM   
David Levine

Aerial Powers Injury Update
Lynx PR
May 26, 2021

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – The Minnesota Lynx today announced that guard Aerial Powers has sustained a left hamstring strain. Powers will be sidelined indefinitely and further updates as to her progress will be issued when more information becomes available.

In her sixth WNBA season, Powers is averaging 11.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 27.4 minutes per game this season.
Post #: 3914
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/31/2021 12:20:41 PM   
David Levine

The 0-4 Lynx knock off the 6-1 Sun for their first win.

Ex-Sun Guard Layshia Clarendon had a strong debut with the Lynx, finishing with 12 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists. Clarendon literally signed her contract hours before tip-off.

Napheesa Collier and Sylvia Fowles combined for 35 points, 16 rebounds, 6 assists, and 5 blocks.
Post #: 3915
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/31/2021 12:24:48 PM   
David Levine

This is cool. I had no idea that Layshia Clarendon is the WNBA’s first openly trans and nonbinary player.

https://www.them.us/story/wnba-layshia-clarendon-top-surgery-photos-team-support
Post #: 3916
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/31/2021 1:41:52 PM   
David Levine

Layshia Clarendon nearly hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to win at the end of regulation, but, after it being ruled a make on the floor, replay revealed that they didn’t get it off in time and the Minnesota Lynx and Connecticut Sun went to overtime on Sunday night at Target Center in Minneapolis.

The deflating moment didn’t stop Clarendon from being the hero on the same day they were signed by the Lynx, just 10 days after they were waived by the New York Liberty, a team they scored 11.5 points per game for in 2020.

With 1:06 to play in overtime, Clarendon swished a perfect three from the right wing to put Minnesota up 75-72 and the Lynx went on to win 79-74 after four points from Sylvia Fowles (24 points, nine rebounds, four assists, three blocks) made it 79-72.

“K Mac (Kayla McBride) just put (the pass) right on the money and I was wide open and I knew I just had to let it fly,” Clarendon said. “I think part of me was like ‘yeah they took my game-winner away’ and it felt pretty good.”

Clarendon also made a layup that tied the game at 72 with 1:47 to go and was seen limping around between that make and the crucial three, but hung in there to make the clutch shot. They finished with 12 points.

“They didn’t know anything that we were doing, what we were running,” Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve said. “You gotta tell them before the ball’s inbounded, ‘hey this is what you’re doing’ and the opponent’s listening as well. They’re just a vet, that’s what you hope for. I was not afraid to put them in the game, obviously we needed that. I though they had control and command of the team. They play well in pick and roll, you saw that a little bit tonight. They had some easy ones that I think they’d love to have back. But difference in the game, no doubt about it. Signing Layshia Clarendon and their debut.”

The Lynx can breathe a sigh of relief for now and celebrate what was a feel-good moment for the entire WNBA as it got to see a former All-Star who is still just 30 years old return to the court in style.

“I never take for granted playing in this league,” Clarendon said. “I played my ass off in training camp and so I was obviously really devastated based on what I was brought there to do with (New York). But I also knew for me, God never takes me somewhere I’m not meant to be. I was deciding between the Lynx and New York in free agency so I was like ‘hey I know I’m here on like an injury contract, but like, let’s see what happens.’ Sometimes you’re in the right place at the right time.”

“I think they were kind of exactly what we needed,” Collier said. “The pace that they play at, kind of just slowing us down a little bit, making sure that we’re in what we need to (be in). And that buzzer-beater counted in our hearts.”

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2021/5/31/22461602/wnba-minnesota-lynx-connecticut-sun-layshia-clarendon-sylvia-fowles-napheesa-collier-cheryl-reeve
Post #: 3917
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/5/2021 5:10:27 PM   
David Levine

Win #2 behind a monster game from Phee.

And Clarendon continues to be huge for us.
Post #: 3918
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/5/2021 5:58:11 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Win #2 behind a monster game from Phee.

And Clarendon continues to be huge for us.

At least you have not quit the Lynx yet!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3919
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/7/2021 3:33:38 PM   
David Levine

Lynx are going to have to find a way to keep Layshia Clarendon once her "hardship contract" expires. She's really stabilized the team and has been an amazing fit in Reeve's system.

We have the roster spot, but not the cap space for even a minimum contract.

We may have to move Banham, or possibly Jess Shepard.
Post #: 3920
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/12/2021 7:51:00 AM   
TJSweens

Rennia Davis is going to miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in her foot. Does that open anything up for Clarendon.

Post #: 3921
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/15/2021 3:44:17 PM   
TJSweens

The Lynx being back in business with their fully assembled new squad lasted all of one half. Aerial Powers came back from her hamstring issue only to tear a ligament in the finger of her shooting hand in the first half and has since had surgery. Natalie Achonwa also sprained a knee ligament in the first half. Reeves says both will be out for a number of weeks.

Post #: 3922
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/29/2021 10:13:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Lynx are going to have to find a way to keep Layshia Clarendon once her "hardship contract" expires. She's really stabilized the team and has been an amazing fit in Reeve's system.

We have the roster spot, but not the cap space for even a minimum contract.

We may have to move Banham, or possibly Jess Shepard.

They just waived Banham. They were forced to do it due to cap constraints and the desire to sign Clarendon through the rest of the season. The Lynx hope to resign Banham if she clears waivers.

Post #: 3923
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 7/8/2021 8:39:00 AM   
TJSweens

McBride is really heating up for the Lynx. Another 25 last night on top of stellar defense on Dallas star, Arike Ogunbowale. McBride held her to 11 points on 5-15 shooting and forced Ogunbowale to turn it over three times.

It's pretty easy to see why Reeve wanted her on the Lynx so badly.

Post #: 3924
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 7/8/2021 10:42:32 AM   
David Levine

Over the past three games, McBride has scored 75 points on 27/39 FG (69.2%) and 11/18 3PT (61.1%), while holding her primary matchups (Diana Taurasi and Arike Ogunbowale, whom McBride called two of the greatest scorers in league history) to a combined 9/38 FG (23.7%) and 3/17 3PT (17.6%). Her two-way impact earned her Player of the Week honors from the Associated Press.
Post #: 3925
Page:   <<   < prev  155 156 [157] 158 159   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  155 156 [157] 158 159   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode