Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Lynx in First

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Lynx in First Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 11:15:58 AM   
TJSweens

Oh please. Being a fan of the National Tomato Ripening League isn't as bad as NASCAR.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 201
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 3:32:34 PM   
Jim Frenette

It is done

http://www.startribune.com/sports/lynx/81230172.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUHK:uUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

I still think it isn't a fair trade as both players involved were #4 picks and now Conn gets the #1 over all for a #2 over all

Fargo
Post #: 202
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 3:40:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

It is done

http://www.startribune.com/sports/lynx/81230172.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUHK:uUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

I still think it isn't a fair trade as both players involved were #4 picks and now Conn gets the #1 over all for a #2 over all

"Both players were #4 picks"? That's kind of a weird argument. It doesn't matter where they were picked, all that matters is what kind of players they are.

I wouldn't say LeBron James has the same vale as Derrick Rose has the same value as Kwame Brown.
Post #: 203
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 4:00:14 PM   
TJSweens

I think the Lynx got the better of it. Whalen was #4 in a much better draft.
1. Dianna Turasi  League MVP 2009
2. Alana Beard Team MVP
3. Nicole Powell Team MVP
4. Whalen 2nd in MVP voting in 2008.

The #1 for #2 isn't a big deal. The Sun want to draft another UConn player Tina Charles. There are a lot of scouts who think Jane Appel of Stanford is as good or better than Charles. The Lynx could make another deal since they are sitting with the 2nd and 3rd picks.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 204
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 6:25:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I don't follow the WNBA enough to know how Whalen has been doing.

Is she good value for the first pick from a basketball standpoint?

Obviously from a PR/Ticket Sales stadpoint she'd likely be MUCH better than anyone we could draft.

Whalen has been a very good player and Montgomery was a little disappointing. So in that regard the Lynx are getting excellent value in that part of the trade. As for swapping the #1 pick for the #2 Tina Charles from UConn is most likely the #1 pick for this next draft but I have heard that Jayne Appel from Stanford is just about as good. Connecticut must feel that there is a clear difference or like Montgomery as much or more than Whalen. PR for U Conn is good as both Charles and Montgomery are or were U Conn players.
Post #: 205
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 6:30:44 PM   
kgdabom

On further inspection this really looks like a sweetheart deal for the Lynx.  The Lynx are desperate for a star PG and Whalen totally fits the bill.  With the two centers Anosike and Hollingsworth allready on the roster Appel might be a better fit than Charles anyway.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 1/12/2010 6:36:48 PM >
Post #: 206
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 8:38:52 PM   
DavidAOlson

I'll go with the angle that everybody gets the local hero. The league needs to juice attendance. And if the teams weren't interested in the deal, the commissioner should have twisted arms to make it happen.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 207
RE: Lynx in First - 1/12/2010 9:16:47 PM   
Phil Riewer

Probably increased attendance by 25% at for both at home games...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 208
RE: Lynx in First - 1/14/2010 7:57:43 PM   
kgdabom

The Sun assuming they Draft Tina Charles actually get two recent U Conn players. Regardless of the attendance factor I still don't think the Sun do this unless they see Charles as being much better than the alternative pick at 2 because Whalen is one of the best players in the league.
Post #: 209
RE: Lynx in First - 1/29/2010 11:25:47 PM   
Minnyme

As a fan I think it was a great deal.

Montgomery (kind of like Johnny Flynn) should get better down the road but she wasn't going to lead this team were it wants to go NOW. Seimone Augustus had to be jumping for joy after this trade. The Lynx finally have a vet PG w/court vision, passing ability and scoring ability. And top it off Whalen is happy to be coming home. So sure win win for both teams. CT can kind of start to rebuild the some uconn products & MN can move forward towards taking it to the next level, now with the local icon. Perfect

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

On further inspection this really looks like a sweetheart deal for the Lynx.  The Lynx are desperate for a star PG and Whalen totally fits the bill.  With the two centers Anosike and Hollingsworth allready on the roster Appel might be a better fit than Charles anyway.

Even thought Anosike is really better suited at PF by the Lynx getting Rebekkah Brunson-PF in the dispersal draft of the Sacramento Monarchs she'll continue to play some C. (Adding vets Brunson & Whalen to the roster are huge.)

Hollingsworth is still kind of a project (but 1 worth working with to see if she can step it up.

Appel & Charles are 2 different types of post.
Basically Charles is the more athletic of the 2. Appel's more low post, back to the basket type w/great court vision. I’m partial to Appel for the Lynx. I think she’s a good fit. She knows how to handle double/triple teams & find open players if a shots not there; She’s a space heater type w/mobility to get some things done. Face of an angel w/a mean streak when needed haa – she’s not a softy. She’ll have to adjust to the speed of the game (like most rookies) but she’ll be able to get up & down the court to keep our offense up tempo. She may be challenged by some of the quicker post on the defensive end but she’ll be fine.

< Message edited by Minnyme -- 1/29/2010 11:28:10 PM >
Post #: 210
Not a deep draft - 1/30/2010 12:02:03 AM   
Minnyme

quote:

Don't know who the top 3 women will be in the draft, but getting Whalen and still have 2 of the top 3 is not a bad draft

Top picks in this draft in no real order:
Tina Charles - C & Jane Appel - C

Then the Lynx can look at :

Amber Harris - 6-4/6-5 out of Xavier. She is kind of a tweener, kind of a SF/PF. Height, but on the thin side; really likes to play out on the perimeter. The catch is she's coming off of an ACL injury that cost her her Jr yr so she's a redshirt Sr with 1 yr of eligability left. Set to graduate this spring, word seems to be she'll stay in school. (But of course she can change her mind in time for this yrs draft.)

Monica Wright 5-11 out of Virginia. A quick, defensive minded SG who will leave Univ of VA as the all time leading scorer. Needs to refine & tighten up her offensive game for the pros but she'd be a solid addition to the Lynx. (my pick at #3 right now)

Kelsey Griffin 6-2 out of Nebraska. From Alaska she's the starting PF for the only other undefeated team in WCBB. Averages a double/double. Also coming off of a season ending injury last season, is this yr taking WCBB by storm with her return. Tough, active, mobile post that can shoot & take the ball to the hole. Not sure about her defense.

There's also Epiphanny Prince the 5-8 guard who left Rutgers w/1 yr left to play overseas.

Beyond that there are a lot of players with 'potential' to make a roster if picked by the right team but this is not a deep draft.

Oh I do think Bloomington native Jenna Smith now at Illinois could/should be a first round pick. She's been the workhorse for Ill since she got there. I really do think she could make a roster.

< Message edited by Minnyme -- 1/31/2010 12:25:42 AM >
Post #: 211
RE: Not a deep draft - 1/30/2010 10:02:49 AM   
Jim Frenette

Thanks minnyme for some good insight and welcome to the board.

Fargo
Post #: 212
RE: Not a deep draft - 1/31/2010 12:30:22 AM   
Minnyme

quote:

Thanks minnyme for some good insight and welcome to the board.

Thanks. Nice to rediscover this board again
Post #: 213
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/21/2010 8:30:57 AM   
DavidAOlson

Just a little blip on how much Whalen has helped with ticket sales, as expected.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14441918?source=rss

quote:

Since ex-Gophers star Lindsay Whalen signed with the Lynx, the team reports ticket sales are up 300 percent from a year ago.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 214
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/21/2010 7:12:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

In fairness, I don't think that all of the credit should be because of the acquisition of Whalen. I think that a lot of folks see a winning team and are getting on the bandwagen.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 215
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/21/2010 10:14:17 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

In fairness, I don't think that all of the credit should be because of the acquisition of Whalen. I think that a lot of folks see a winning team and are getting on the bandwagen.

We finished with the 3rd worst record in the league last year. The credit goes to Whalen. She's as beloved of a female athlete as Minnesota has likely ever seen.
Post #: 216
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/21/2010 10:43:59 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

Just a little blip on how much Whalen has helped with ticket sales, as expected.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14441918?source=rss

quote:

Since ex-Gophers star Lindsay Whalen signed with the Lynx, the team reports ticket sales are up 300 percent from a year ago.

Shooter just had all kinds of tid bits to throw out
Whalen didn't sign but was aquired by the Lynx, contract already intact. Also since it was already establshed Jim Pete was coming back as an asst coach so not sure what there is to announce.

A little further down :
quote:

New 6-foot-2 Lynx player Hamchetou Maiga-Ba is known in her home country of Mali as the "Queen of Basketball." Maiga-Ba has 18 brothers and sisters.

Maiga-Ba is a big free-agent signing & will be a great addtion. Another vet w/a ring who played w/Brunson in Sactown. She'll play mostly SF; brings a stronger defensive presence then offensive but we need the defensive mindset she brings.
Post #: 217
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/27/2010 1:59:08 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

We finished with the 3rd worst record in the league last year. The credit goes to Whalen. She's as beloved of a female athlete as Minnesota has likely ever seen.

Yes, but the leading scorer got hurt and is returning.  Also, they picked up other players, too, and they still get two high draft picks.   Don't you think that the Lynx will be a better team next season?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 218
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/27/2010 10:45:01 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, but the leading scorer got hurt and is returning.  Also, they picked up other players, too, and they still get two high draft picks.   Don't you think that the Lynx will be a better team next season?

I seem to say that every year after the draft since they always draft high

Fargo
Post #: 219
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/27/2010 12:23:51 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. But I think its hard at this point to say people are excited because they "see a winning team". Because they haven't. They can speculate that they'll be better, but it hasn't happened on the court yet.

The excitement and ticket sales are because of Whalen. I'd bet most casual fans have no idea about most of the changes - outside of the Whalen trade.
Post #: 220
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/27/2010 9:37:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

If there are more fans in the seats, perhaps the home court advantage will be in force.

Post #: 221
RE: Not a deep draft - 2/28/2010 10:50:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

David, you are very persuasive.  I think you're right about Whalen and the ticket sales.

Post #: 222
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/7/2010 10:03:37 AM   
Jim Frenette

Now that UConn won it all, the WNBA draft is right around the corner, Thursday actually. The top players will be on hand and the Lynx get 2 of them

http://www.wnba.com/draft2010/draft_invitees_100401.html

Fargo
Post #: 223
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/7/2010 10:09:18 AM   
Jim Frenette

One mock

http://www.allbasketballreview.com/2010-allbasketballreview-mock-wnba-draft

Fargo
Post #: 224
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/7/2010 10:41:32 AM   
TJSweens

Most mocks have us taking Monica Wright with one of the two picks. Appel and Alysha Clark are 50/50 for the other pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded one or both for a player or future picks.

Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Lynx in First Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode