Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Not a deep draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Not a deep draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 1:16:33 PM   
Jim Frenette

ESPN2 will have the draft in case anyone is interested. 2PM

Fargo
Post #: 226
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 2:23:32 PM   
Jim Frenette

Monica Wright VA and Kelsie Griffin Neb

Now will they keep both?

Fargo
Post #: 227
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 2:31:28 PM   
TJSweens

The Lynx took Guard Monica Wright from Virginia and forward Kelsey Griffin from Nebraska.

Edit: I see Jim beat me to it.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 4/8/2010 2:33:41 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 228
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 2:36:37 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

Monica Wright VA and Kelsie Griffin Neb

Now will they keep both?

I'm sure they'll keep Wright. Best athlete in the draft, great scorer and she was the Defensive Player of the Year.

A 5-11 senior guard, Wright is Virginia's all-time leading scorer with 2,540 points and this past season Wright set the Virginia single-season scoring record with 734 points. She also holds the school record for steals in a game (10) and had a season-high 16 rebounds in one game this year while averaging 6.5 rebounds and 3.6 steals a game this season. In 2009-10, Wright had eight 30-point games and twenty-two 20-point games.
Post #: 229
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 2:55:43 PM   
David Levine

Minnesota trades draft rights to Kelsey Griffin to Connecticut for first and second-round picks next year.
Post #: 230
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 3:11:20 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Minnesota trades draft rights to Kelsey Griffin to Connecticut for first and second-round picks next year.

So to get Linsay, we give them Rene, Tina Charles and Kesey Griffin. I feel fleeced from that. I remember when the Lynx wanted to get Conn to trade so they could get Linsay in the draft but they wanted a lot. Now we give them to much in my opinion. I can't see with the improvement that the Sun made the #1 pick would get that good of a player

Fargo
Post #: 231
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 3:30:59 PM   
David Levine

Yeah. I don't really get that. Unless they considered this a really weak draft after the top 2.

It seems like the #3 overall in the current draft is worth a lot more than next year's #1 and #2.
Post #: 232
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 3:33:21 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

So to get Linsay, we give them Rene, Tina Charles and Kesey Griffin. I feel fleeced from that. I remember when the Lynx wanted to get Conn to trade so they could get Linsay in the draft but they wanted a lot. Now we give them to much in my opinion. I can't see with the improvement that the Sun made the #1 pick would get that good of a player

Although, if you are going to say we gave them Tina Charles, you have to say they gave us Monica Wright.

So its really Rene, Charles and Griffin for Whalen, Wright and both their picks next year.

--edit--

I'm totally wrong. How did we get the 2nd first rounder - I was thinking it was part of the Whalen deal, but we had it before that didn't we?

< Message edited by David Levine -- 4/8/2010 3:53:15 PM >
Post #: 233
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 3:47:40 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

Yeah. I don't really get that. Unless they considered this a really weak draft after the top 2.

It seems like the #3 overall in the current draft is worth a lot more than next year's #1 and #2.

No doubt.

The roster seems pretty stacked, though, with Anosike, Brunson, Houston, Augustus (back from injury?), Wiggins, Wright, and Whalen.

Personally I'd probably have picked Appel. She's had injury issues, but I'm fond of extreme depth at center.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 234
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 4:08:37 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

No, we gave up Rene, #1 and #3 and got back Lindsey, #2 and a first and second rounder next year. And from what I have been reading next years draft is supposed to be much better than this years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 235
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 4:13:09 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

It is supposedly a week draft and next year is supposed to be much better. The Lynx were looking more for depth this year as they now have 6 all stars and two high finishers in MVP voting. Appel would have a hard time getting on the floor. She would be stuck behind Anosike (all star) and Quanitra Hollingsworth.

Post #: 236
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 4:15:26 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

It is supposedly a week draft and next year is supposed to be much better. The Lynx were looking more for depth this year as they now have 6 all stars and two high finishers in MVP voting. Appel would have a hard time getting on the floor. She would be stuck behind Anosike (all star) and Quanitra Hollingsworth.

Maybe we should let them run the Wolves...
Post #: 237
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/8/2010 10:25:53 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

Most mocks have us taking Monica Wright with one of the two picks. Appel and Alysha Clark are 50/50 for the other pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded one or both for a player or future picks.

No, no, no you don't trade the likes of Monica Wright. And they didn't. State Farm All-American. ACC Player of the Year. Both ACC and voted National Defensive player of the year. She will be a great, great addition to this team

But they did trade (after drafting a player CT wanted) the 3rd pick selection to the CT Sun, getting in return CT's 1st & 2nd round picks in next yrs draft. Gambling a bit hoping CT doesn't make the play-offs giving a the Lynx a lottery pick. Since of course the Lynx expect to be a play-offs. The 2011 draft, barring multiple major injuries, is a much deeper pool of talent then this draft.

All & all I'm happy w/what we have coming in. Should be a fun season.
Post #: 238
Minnesotans taken in the WNBA draft - 4/8/2010 10:36:59 PM   
Minnyme

2 Minnesota kids were drafted today ..

Jenna Smith (Bloomington Kennedy HS) -was the 2nd pick in the 2nd rnd (#14 overall) to the Washington Mystics
Cory Montgomery (Cannon Falls HS) -was the 1st pick in the 3rd rnd (#25) to the NY Liberty (same team as McCarville)

Jenna has the best shot of the 2 to make a team. Congrats to both young women !
Post #: 239
RE: Minnesotans taken in the WNBA draft - 4/10/2010 4:06:08 AM   
pdiercks

I would say Cory's dad is not so happy about her playing with McCarville. One of the (indirect)reasons she went to Nebraska instead of the U. Then again I know he is thrilled she was drafted and can continue to play. Wonderful family, all very nice people.
Post #: 240
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/10/2010 2:31:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Most mocks have us taking Monica Wright with one of the two picks. Appel and Alysha Clark are 50/50 for the other pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded one or both for a player or future picks.

Sweens you called it about the trading a pick. When the Lynx made this trade there was not supposed to be that much difference between Appel and Charles. Appel goes through a totally injured season and all of a sudden we don't get the two sure fire picks we were counting on.
Post #: 241
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/14/2010 10:22:54 PM   
kgdabom

One question I have is since the Lynx traded for a pick next year why not just use the pick on Appel this year and it is like getting a high pick next year. Does the WNBA have a DL situation or would we lose a player slot if we had kept Appel. You have to expect that the Connecticut pick will be lower next year.
Post #: 242
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/14/2010 10:37:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

One question I have is since the Lynx traded for a pick next year why not just use the pick on Appel this year and it is like getting a high pick next year. Does the WNBA have a DL situation or would we lose a player slot if we had kept Appel. You have to expect that the Connecticut pick will be lower next year.

I'd guess they weren't that high on Appel, and its very possible Connecticut will miss the playoffs and give us a lottery pick in a deeper draft.
Post #: 243
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/15/2010 12:01:35 PM   
TJSweens

They made the deal to have a shot, However long, at drafting Maya Moore nest year. Appel would come in at #3 on the depth chart at both C and PF.

Post #: 244
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/16/2010 9:06:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

She must be really good! (Maya Moore)  I heard a couple of guys on the radio debating on whether the Connecticut girls basketball team could beat some smaller school guys teams.  I think that they could.  I think that they could even give some larger schools a challenging game. (like Iowa U.)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 245
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/17/2010 1:56:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I'd guess they weren't that high on Appel, and its very possible Connecticut will miss the playoffs and give us a lottery pick in a deeper draft.

Before injuries Appel was looked at as a coin flip for who should be the #1 pick this year. If it is suspected that she will come back strong she would have to be considered as good as a 4th fifth pick next year. I would suspect that Connecticut will avoid the lottery next year meaning as good as the pick could be is 6th in that case right?
Post #: 246
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/19/2010 8:48:43 AM   
TJSweens

There were questions even before the injury as to whether or not Appel was quick and athletic enough at the nest level. In the college game she relied on size and strength, which wasn't going to be enough in the WNBA. Of course they also questioned Tina Charles strength at the next level. Appel was also going to be stuck behind Anosike and Hollingsworth at center and Brunson at PF. She wasn't a real need.

I don't know that Connecticut is not considered a lock to make the playoffs. They just trade their leader and are likely behind the Lynx in power rankings.

Post #: 247
RE: Not a deep draft - 4/19/2010 11:36:18 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

Before injuries Appel was looked at as a coin flip for who should be the #1 pick this year. If it is suspected that she will come back strong she would have to be considered as good as a 4th fifth pick next year. I would suspect that Connecticut will avoid the lottery next year meaning as good as the pick could be is 6th in that case right?

The East will be interesting. CT will have to fight for a spot. Indiana Fever & Atlanta Dream should be locks to make the playoffs. The Washington Mystics have already lost one of their best players (Alana Beard) for the season needing ankle surgery. They were pretty much a lock to be a playoff team, now it will be tougher. Chicago Sky have lost a key player for the yr w/a petella injury. Those injuries may open the door for the CT Sun. Then the NY Liberty may have a say as well.

If the league stays at 12 teams & 8 making the playoffs, 4 would be in the lottery. So the highest non-lottery pick would be #5.
Post #: 248
RE: Minnesotans taken in the WNBA draft - 5/1/2010 11:29:24 AM   
Minnyme

quote:

ORIGINAL: pdiercks

I would say Cory's dad is not so happy about her playing with McCarville. One of the (indirect)reasons she went to Nebraska instead of the U. Then again I know he is thrilled she was drafted and can continue to play. Wonderful family, all very nice people.

Haaa. Well J-Mac is done over in Russia now so she'll be join camp any day.

A New York Minute w/Cory

http://www.wnba.com/liberty/news/ny_minute_montgomery.html
Post #: 249
RE: Minnesotans taken in the WNBA draft - 5/7/2010 1:54:55 AM   
pdiercks

Hide all your daughters then because she'll be lookin.
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Not a deep draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode