Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 8/28/2016 9:47:15 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I'm going to stick my neck out and comment on the Kaepernick thing. He is exercising his right to disrespect his country. The reason he has that right is that we live in a great country.
I am exercising my right to disrespect him. He sees selective things he doesn't like and considers our country unworthy of standing for the national anthem. I see the greatness of our country and see anybody not willing to stand for it as ungrateful. I have no respect for Colin or his stance.

Timing is not good for him.

Do it at your peak at the SuperBowl or the next year. Not when you are an overpaid malcontent.

Proud of Kaepernick. It takes a lot of balls to stand up for what you believe in. It's guys/gals like him that bring much-needed change to the world.

Frankly, I always thought the national anthem was a ridiculous exorcise to begin with.

He wants change.

Give 80% of your bloated salary to inner city charities. Quit football and run for office.

Very weak and poor statement.

Like KG said. He has a right to do this and other people have the right to disagree and blast him.

I agree people have the right to blast him. However, change only comes when people take a stand.

His salary means nothing to me. Good for him for making big money. San Francisco only has themselves to blame for that one. That part of your argument seems like sour grapes to me. If he made the league minimum, it would make no difference to me.

I might be wrong but I think it is easier to make a possible career suicide move when you have 30M in the bank than a league minimum guy.

Again, you seem to be expressing resentfulness about his money with this post. Seems to me he has more to lose than the guy with nothing and few options.

More to lose?

He already heisted the 49ers pretty good. His big paydays were over no matter what he did.
Post #: 276
RE: Other NFL News - 8/28/2016 9:47:55 PM  1 votes
David F.

Military service and/or a massive donation of your own money to charity are not requisites for speaking up or making a stand for or against something.

USA is not some unquestionable almighty entity. We still need to progress a long long way. Imagine if a company took feedback the way it's being taken by some here today. "Hey Jones! Some customers say the toilet is broken and the floor is sticky." "DAMN IT SMITH UNTIL THEY'VE WORKED THE FRENCH FRY STATION OR THE SHAKE MACHINE I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ONE DAMN THING A BOUT IT! THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY WE HAVE THIS RESTAURANT AT ALL!"

Also I am choosing to accept and let go of the gay punter comment.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 277
RE: Other NFL News - 8/28/2016 9:49:08 PM   
David F.

What if someone refused to stand for the anthem in protest of how shitty we treat our veterans?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 278
RE: Other NFL News - 8/28/2016 9:50:36 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkWren

Mixing politics with sports is bad news for us all in the long run, folks. It should be obvious to all--no matter your political leanings--that there are harsh voices on seemingly all sides bent on dividing us from one another. There is virtually no escape from this madness anymore--schools, the military, the business world--and sports has been one arena in which we could (temporarily) set aside our differences to unite behind our teams and focus solely on their performance. Once that's gone, what have we left?

I see Vermont has dropped UNC from its basketball schedule this year. Another domino falls. When's the next one? Monday before noon, I suppose. Then the next, and the next. Sooner than you think, the whole athletic realm comes tumbling down. Instead of being a vehicle to unite the races, which athletics has undeniably been for the last 70 years or so, sports will have been leveraged to achieve the undoing of Western civilization itself. I beg you: don't fall into that trap! It cannot end well, not for any of us.

There's a time and a place for everything. We ought to continue taking our political disagreements to the ballot box, and keep 'em the hell out of sports.

Does that mean it was bad when Muhammad Ali took a stance against the war?

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 279
RE: Other NFL News - 8/28/2016 9:55:45 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

What if someone refused to stand for the anthem in protest of how shitty we treat our veterans?

I think the Vets would want a person to do it a different way.

Maybe mooning the WH. Mooning the House and Senate.
Post #: 280
RE: Other NFL News - 8/28/2016 10:02:53 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

How about mooning the Republicans? They are the ones consistently stripping them of their benefits for the past 50 years.

Post #: 281
RE: Other NFL News - 8/28/2016 10:04:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about mooning the Republicans? They are the ones consistently stripping them of their benefits for the past 50 years.

If that's true, yes, moon them.
Post #: 282
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 12:10:47 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JTC2017

I love it that Kap decided to take a stand. I also agree with Brad (I think) that the national anthem really doesn't have a place at sporting events.

However, I would never disrespect it by not standing at attention as long as I am an American.

I believe in this country and even though it has many things that need to get better, the day I feel I won't stand for our flag is the day I leave the country for good.

As for racism, as a continued victim of it I can understand the anger. That said, racism is not the biggest problem facing minorities today and a lot of our problems are self-inflicted.

I would prefer Kap get other athletes together and work on issues - like Wade did.

Yes there is racism in our country. There is racism/culturalism/sexism in every country on Earth. Does the US promote racism. Is racism a core value of our country? If not then Kaepernick is fighting the wrong battle. I see our country as fighting against racism in every place it exists and fighting against it in some places it doesn't exist.

Go to a Trump rally and tell me if you feel the same when you get home.

You go to it. I'm not interested in a Trump or Hillary rally.

Turning your head to it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Then you go. Don't turn your head to it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 283
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 12:12:12 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ambear

Kap has his constitutional right to his opinions as due all of us. He must also take the consequences for his actions as I'm sure he is aware. I harbor no ill will of him for this.

I do. He is a pompous jerk that doesn't have a clue. He is so lucky to be living in this great country. Instead he spits upon it.

Being half black, maybe he doesn't feel the same way. Don't judge someone until you have walked in their shoes.

Was it spitting on the country when Rosa Parks decided not to sit in the back of the bus?

How about Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucy Stone with the women's suffrage movement? Dammit ladies, just be happy with what you got!

You sound archaic!

What a pile of shit comparing Kaepernick to Rosa Parks. Our country does not condone or support racism. Our country is against it and takes huge steps to fight it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 284
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 5:41:03 AM  1 votes
JTC2017

There is tons of racism in this country. However, unlike in the 50s and 60s, most of it is not institutionalized by the government (unless you count Trump as government - not yet!) but instead put in place by private individuals.

On top of that, police brutality and police shootings - although a problem that needs to be addressed - is not even in the top 5 things affecting Blacks in America
Post #: 285
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 6:01:35 AM   
JTC2017

For those of you who want to pretend that there is no racism in this country, read the responses to Kap's action:

quote:

Hope you tear your acl next game stupid **** @Kaepernick7

Get out of the country then you stupid ****ing **** @Kaepernick7 you should be embarrassed to admit you won't stand for national anthem

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/08/27/kaepernick-attacked-on-social-media-with-ngger-comments-for-not-standing-during-national-anthem/
Post #: 286
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 8:33:16 AM   
Brad H

quote:

For those of you who want to pretend that there is no racism in this country, read the responses to Kap's action:

quote:

Get out of the country then you stupid ****ing **** @Kaepernick7 you should be embarrassed to admit you won't stand for national anthem

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/08/27/kaepernick-attacked-on-social-media-with-ngger-comments-for-not-standing-during-national-anthem/

Exactly. People need to get out of their little white suburbia from time-to-time to see what's going on in the real world. I'm not saying Kaepernick is going to have some wide-spread effect on the country, but it takes a lot of balls to do what he did. Criticizing him is the easy thing to do. Fighting a battle is tough.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 8/29/2016 8:34:53 AM >

Post #: 287
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 12:01:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

There is tons of racism in this country. However, unlike in the 50s and 60s, most of it is not institutionalized by the government (unless you count Trump as government - not yet!) but instead put in place by private individuals.

On top of that, police brutality and police shootings - although a problem that needs to be addressed - is not even in the top 5 things affecting Blacks in America

Thank you JC. I agree with you 100%.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 288
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 12:05:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I don't believe anybody with a brain in their head thinks that racism does not exist in the US. I don't believe there is anybody on Earth with a brain in their head that thinks Racism doesn't exist in any country on Earth. Racism, culturalism, sexism, etc... Will always exist. Anybody thinking otherwise is living with cotton candy clouds and unicorns.
The United States of America takes a very strong stance against racism. Perfect? No.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 289
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 12:06:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly. People need to get out of their little white suburbia from time-to-time to see what's going on in the real world. I'm not saying Kaepernick is going to have some wide-spread effect on the country, but it takes a lot of balls to do what he did. Criticizing him is the easy thing to do. Fighting a battle is tough.

Criticizing him is the right thing to do. He couldn't be more wrong in his stance. While there is no law against being racist in our country there are laws against taking racist action. You can be sued for racism, you can be fired for racism, you can be ostracized for racism. You can even be put in prison for racist actions for exceedingly long prison terms. Simply put the US is anti-racist.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/29/2016 3:49:24 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 290
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 2:37:43 PM   
JTC2017

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't believe anybody with a brain in their head thinks that racism does not exist in the US. I don't believe there is anybody on Earth with a brain in their head that thinks Racism doesn't exist in any country on Earth. Racism, culturalism, sexism, etc... Will always exist. Anybody thinking otherwise is living with cotton candy clouds and unicorns.
The United States of America takes a very strong stance against racism. Perfect? No.

I have traveled to many countries and I love this one the most.

I do

That doesn't mean we don't have a lot of room for improvement.

It means I am going to work until I die to make it better

If I feel I can't make it better and it is not tolerable I will pick my next favorite nation and move there

IMO, the big difference between the socially conscious Black athletes of the 60s and guys like Kap is education on the issues.

I think the famous Cleveland summit with Ali, Jim Brown, Bill Russell, and all those stars was based on years of research on the issues and a stance taken after careful consideration

This seems more like a reaction to the media stories.

I am happy that Kap and people are waking up

I just wish they would hit the biggest issues including how WE can do a better job. I think that goes hand in hand.

We have to end racism. At the same time, we - as in Blacks and Brown - have to do a better job ourselves in our communities.

As I said on the politics page, most Black children growing up in poverty live in homes with just their moms. If Dads took more responsibility in raising their children this would not happen. It is not easy, I have been married, put out, back, you name it. But not a day passed that I did not pay for my children, guide my children, and talk to them about issues. Even when overseas I talk to them every day.

HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS
Post #: 291
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 2:38:25 PM   
JTC2017

quote:

quote:

quote:

So the people upset with Kap

Are you just as upset about the conditions that exist or just his action?
Post #: 292
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 2:57:49 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Criticizing him is the right thing to do. He couldn't be more wrong in his stance. While there is no law against being racist in our country there are laws against taking racist action. You can be sued for racism, you can be fired for racism, you can be ostracized for racism. Simply put the US is anti-racist.

When one candidate has spent six months talking about banning folks of one religion and putting up walls to keep others out, one would think there would be a brush back if we were indeed an anti-racist country. But no, he won the nomination. Anti-racist? I think not. I think there is plenty to go around. We have some states passing laws with anti-race and sexual orientation issues. It's hard to say we are anti-racist when there is so many examples of it in our own government.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 8/29/2016 2:59:15 PM >

Post #: 293
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 2:59:38 PM   
JTC2017

I stand corrected

At least in Maine there is institutionalized racism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-king-paul-lepage_us_57c1fed0e4b026734450618d
Post #: 294
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 3:43:36 PM   
drviking

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/chargers-sweeten-language-of-training-camp-roster-bonuses-signing-bonus-payout-to-get-deal-done/

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 295
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 3:50:20 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/chargers-sweeten-language-of-training-camp-roster-bonuses-signing-bonus-payout-to-get-deal-done/

So if anybody caved it seems like it was the Chargers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 296
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 6:08:48 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

So if anybody caved it seems like it was the Chargers.

Like I said yesterday, Joey Bosa was the big winner in the game.

Post #: 297
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 7:19:52 PM   
Mark Anderson

While I don't agree with Kap's method, I do agree with his take on the 2 jokers running for President.
Post #: 298
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 9:50:17 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

You telling people "to get out of their little white suburbia"! How rich is that!
Post #: 299
RE: Other NFL News - 8/29/2016 9:59:34 PM   
Ricky J

edit - don't want to go there

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 8/30/2016 12:48:46 PM >
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode