Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 9/7/2018 11:49:05 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

I do want to apologize for speaking too much off the top of my head about the founding fathers and slavery. Due to Pagers challenge I have been looking into that and I have found out some interesting things. I may comment on that more, but not until I'm done looking into it.

Elsewhere please.

I agree but where. I thought about going into the politics thread, but it's a hate filled cesspool. I will just say it does make some very good reading.

FWIW I've been ridiculed, belittled, and insulted plenty of times - but never in the politics thread - always in the vikes thread.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1151
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 6:31:44 AM  1 votes
Bruce Johnson

I have refrained from political commentary for awhile, now. I do think it is wonderful that sports can bring people together from different persuasions. There is so much dividing us, especially in the world of politics, but sports can bring us together with a common love for the games and a common longing for the thrill of victory. That's all I'll say, even though I'm interested in the current affairs as any of you. I would rather enjoy feeling closer to you.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1152
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 6:49:52 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I have refrained from political commentary for awhile, now. I do think it is wonderful that sports can bring people together from different persuasions. There is so much dividing us, especially in the world of politics, but sports can bring us together with a common love for the games and a common longing for the thrill of victory. That's all I'll say, even though I'm interested in the current affairs as any of you. I would rather enjoy feeling closer to you.

Don't you feel in certain ways that this is a false foundation?

For me, I'm willing to shoot the shit with most anyone about anything. I don't need common ground. Some people vary so greatly in their political/religious leanings that they can't look at/hear someone's alternate viewpoint. You're sort of suggesting it here but I've seen it stated when other hot button topics came up. Like the Kluwe thing. Or heard it said - 'I don't want to go into the politics section because I don't want to think less of people'.

One of the more interesting things is for me to watch people shred Trump supporters - basically grouping every one of them with the same disdain...and then head over to the football threads and be all like - hey buddy - go Vikes! with a Trump supporter.

Does it mean everything, or nothing? Sometimes I can't tell.
Post #: 1153
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 8:17:35 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Don't you feel in certain ways that this is a false foundation?

For me, I'm willing to shoot the shit with most anyone about anything. I don't need common ground. Some people vary so greatly in their political/religious leanings that they can't look at/hear someone's alternate viewpoint. You're sort of suggesting it here but I've seen it stated when other hot button topics came up. Like the Kluwe thing. Or heard it said - 'I don't want to go into the politics section because I don't want to think less of people'.

One of the more interesting things is for me to watch people shred Trump supporters - basically grouping every one of them with the same disdain...and then head over to the football threads and be all like - hey buddy - go Vikes! with a Trump supporter.

Does it mean everything, or nothing? Sometimes I can't tell.

For me, it's just about keeping it simple. Let's bond over what brought us together (Vikings) rather than introduce things that could separate us.

Never more true for me than what this thread has been over the last few days. Quoting Forrest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that."

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1154
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 9:10:44 AM  1 votes
Ricky J

I aim to keep life simple as well. It just gets away from me at times and I need to reel it back in.

I don't watch or read about the news. I'd be much better off if I'd go back to staying away from Twitter and FB that I impulsively respond to on occasion - like getting sucked into the Mad Dog video (which really describes how I feel about the media trying to control what I think) or the foxy blond holding the freeking cannon with the info, 'if you eliminated the murders in these cities with STRICT gun control laws America would have the third least gun violence in the world.' Yeah, F me with a sharp stick if STRICT isn't a relative term here.

It's not that I don't care it's just that I'm on a different journey (which is very satisfying when it isn't so damn elusive)

-
Post #: 1155
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 10:36:02 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do want to apologize for speaking too much off the top of my head about the founding fathers and slavery. Due to Pagers challenge I have been looking into that and I have found out some interesting things. I may comment on that more, but not until I'm done looking into it.

Elsewhere please.

I agree but where. I thought about going into the politics thread, but it's a hate filled cesspool. I will just say it does make some very good reading.

FWIW I've been ridiculed, belittled, and insulted plenty of times - but never in the politics thread - always in the vikes thread.

Same here.
Post #: 1156
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 10:38:28 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I aim to keep life simple as well. It just gets away from me at times and I need to reel it back in.

I don't watch or read about the news. I'd be much better off if I'd go back to staying away from Twitter and FB that I impulsively respond to on occasion - like getting sucked into the Mad Dog video (which really describes how I feel about the media trying to control what I think) or the foxy blond holding the freeking cannon with the info, 'if you eliminated the murders in these cities with STRICT gun control laws America would have the third least gun violence in the world.' Yeah, F me with a sharp stick if STRICT isn't a relative term here.

It's not that I don't care it's just that I'm on a different journey (which is very satisfying when it isn't so damn elusive)

-

So THAT'S where you were during your off-season hiatus, in Nepal studying with the Buddhist Monks. I read ya.
Post #: 1157
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 11:00:01 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

-

So THAT'S where you were during your off-season hiatus, in Nepal studying with the Buddhist Monks. I read ya.

No, but I did hop a train to White Fish, MO.
Post #: 1158
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 11:08:23 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Elsewhere please.

Same here.

I've been all of those things on the Vikings threads as well, but the politics thread in my brief experience was way nastier. People consider my non hatred of Trump to mean I'm some kind of supporter of him and I am far from that.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/8/2018 11:09:24 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1159
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 11:27:49 AM   
Ricky J

Mean People Suck

- let's make shirts
Post #: 1160
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 11:54:15 AM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

-

No, but I did hop a train to White Fish, MO.

Now that's just crazy.
Post #: 1161
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 12:35:30 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Since about 2000, middle ground in politics has slowly went away. Pretty much gone now.

We all have the same goal as Viking fans.
Post #: 1162
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 1:05:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Since about 2000, middle ground in politics has slowly went away. Pretty much gone now.

We have devolved into a society that despises anybody with a different viewpoint. It is a sad state of affairs.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1163
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 2:29:34 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

So true.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1164
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 2:33:09 PM  1 votes
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

We have devolved into a society that despises anybody with a different viewpoint. It is a sad state of affairs.

No. We despise the viewpoint. We're just dumbfounded that ANY person could have or maintain such a thought process and we react to them accordingly.

Believe.
Post #: 1165
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 3:24:52 PM   
Bruce Johnson

What ever happened to "respectfully disagree"? I mean, we can be respectful even if we are dumbfounded.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1166
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 3:39:53 PM  1 votes
Ian Joseph

quote:

What ever happened to "respectfully disagree"? I mean, we can be respectful even if we are dumbfounded.

Some things arent on the level of respectful disagreement. In those cases, we arent talking about tax cuts, public assistance, health care.

We are talking bigotry, discrimination, racism, other acts of hate. You cant respectfully disagree with that kind of stuff.

Believe.
Post #: 1167
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 3:41:56 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

So true.

Looks like Husker football is on the rise.
Post #: 1168
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 3:58:07 PM   
joejitsu

Bell will not be with the steelers this weekend. I think that's a bad move for him.
Post #: 1169
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 4:09:18 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

Some things arent on the level of respectful disagreement. In those cases, we arent talking about tax cuts, public assistance, health care.

We are talking bigotry, discrimination, racism, other acts of hate. You cant respectfully disagree with that kind of stuff.

I see what you are saying. Definitely needs to be called out.

But, a lot of times, what I see though is if you don't agree with someone on things like tax cuts, public assistance or health care, somehow racism or some other 'ism' will come into play. It cheapens the real racism. Boy crying wolf type thing.
Post #: 1170
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 4:31:34 PM   
Ricky J

edit - sd

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/8/2018 8:20:29 PM >
Post #: 1171
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 6:40:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. We despise the viewpoint. We're just dumbfounded that ANY person could have or maintain such a thought process and we react to them accordingly.

Right and half of America voted for Trump and the other half for Clinton so 100% of America despises each other. How about accepting the result and not hating those who voted different from you.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1172
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 6:44:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

So we threaten the lives of people who would perform at Trumps inauguration? It is just performing in honor of America. It isn't an endorsement of Trump it is an endorsement of America. Even if it was an endorsement threatening lives is seriously F'ed up. Hate breeds more hate.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1173
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 6:45:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

But, a lot of times, what I see though is if you don't agree with someone on things like tax cuts, public assistance or health care, somehow racism or some other 'ism' will come into play. It cheapens the real racism. Boy crying wolf type thing.

Great post.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1174
RE: Other NFL News - 9/8/2018 7:20:51 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is prevailing thought that socioeconomic challenges in many communities are not by accident and are systematically influenced by key law makers and enforcers as a form of covert, yet intentional racism or discrimination. I dont totally agree or disagree with that, but coming from a family that has roots and still resides in what many would consider "the ghetto," I see whatever is occurring continue to unfold everyday. When the liquor store count is up, but employment rate is down, something is wrong.

Now, how much of that is related to covert racism/discrimination and how much of it is based on the community not doing it's part is for great debate, one I am not looking to start in this thread. But, that's definitely where people believe where and how racism influences those topics.

Believe.
Post #: 1175
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode