Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 3/31/2020 9:40:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Tom Brady was a rookie when Luke Kuechly was in 4th grade and Luke is now retired from the NFL while Tom is still playing

Insane

Tom Brady has lost 211 career rushing yards due to kneel downs

(Football Analysis on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1576
RE: Other NFL News - 4/10/2020 7:09:39 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/09/chris-johnson-accused-murder-for-hire-plot

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1577
RE: Other NFL News - 4/10/2020 3:37:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://nypost.com/2020/04/10/drew-brees-picks-nbc-over-espn-in-monday-night-football-setback/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1578
RE: Other NFL News - 5/4/2020 11:04:40 AM   
kgdabom

Don Shula died today. He lived until 90. Not a bad run. I remember Shula talking about the Super Bowl in the undefeated season. He said it's going to be boring. We're going to control the ball with the run and our D is going to shut them down. The final score was 14-7 and it was never in doubt.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1579
RE: Other NFL News - 5/4/2020 2:09:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Don Shula died today. He lived until 90. Not a bad run. I remember Shula talking about the Super Bowl in the undefeated season. He said it's going to be boring. We're going to control the ball with the run and our D is going to shut them down. The final score was 14-7 and it was never in doubt.

I think I heard today (if it was this game) Griese threw only 7 passes.

Post #: 1580
RE: Other NFL News - 5/4/2020 2:32:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

When Shula became a head coach for the Colts, he was the youngest head coach in NFL history at the age of 33. Later, when he became the coach of the Dolphins, the Dolphins were ruled to have tampered with him and were fined a first round draft pick. In hind sight it was a good move by them.

He broke into the NFL coaching as an assistant with the Lions in 1960 and the Lions had the best defense in the NFL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shula

Post #: 1581
RE: Other NFL News - 5/17/2020 8:54:37 AM   
Mark Anderson

Phyllis George passes away at age 70.
Post #: 1582
RE: Other NFL News - 5/17/2020 1:02:20 PM   
Bill Jandro

Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Ed Oliver joined the growing list of NFL players with recent off-the-field issues on Saturday night as he was arrested in Houston on charges of DWI and unlawful carrying of a weapon.

Post #: 1583
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 12:26:17 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
NFL clubs today received updated playing rules change proposals.

Most interesting: an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team a chance to maintain possession by going for it on 4th-and-15 from their 25-yard line. Sounds like support for the idea is growing.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1584
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 12:54:08 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Most interesting: an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team a chance to maintain possession by going for it on 4th-and-15 from their 25-yard line. Sounds like support for the idea is growing.

Too easy. Should be 20 yards.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1585
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 1:00:23 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Too easy. Should be 20 yards.

i say leave it be...i like the onside kick....

Post #: 1586
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 2:08:43 PM   
Todd M

I like the proposed change. More games will come down to the wire. What's the onside kick success % ~20%? Sure its exciting when it happens but it feels like it doesn't happen often at all. This new way could be double the success rate.
Post #: 1587
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 2:54:00 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I like the proposed change. More games will come down to the wire. What's the onside kick success % ~20%? Sure its exciting when it happens but it feels like it doesn't happen often at all. This new way could be double the success rate.

Onside kick success dropped from 21 percent to 6 percent after new rule

When the NFL changed the rules governing kickoffs before the 2018 season, little was said about onside kicks. The focus was on the vast majority of kickoffs, in which the ball is kicked deep and players run full-speed down the field to try to make a tackle, resulting in plenty of head-on collisions.

But onside kicks have become a major casualty of the new kickoff rules, which prevent players from getting a running start before the ball is kicked.

In the 2017 NFL season there were 57 onside kicks and the kicking team recovered 12 of them, or 21 percent. In 2018-2019, under the new rules, there have been 79 onside kicks and the kicking team has recovered 5 of them, or 6 percent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/03/onside-kick-success-dropped-from-21-percent-to-6-percent-after-new-rule/
Post #: 1588
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 4:01:53 PM   
bohumm

One way to think about it, which could lead to some less competitive games in the short run but which might be interesting at the end of games and in the long run, would be to always give the ball back to the touchdown scoring team at their own 20. After FGs it would go to the non-scoring team at their own 20. Teams would have to develop according to what works to win games, be it improving aspects of offense or defense to leverage the rules.
Post #: 1589
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 4:13:57 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

One way to think about it, which could lead to some less competitive games in the short run but which might be interesting at the end of games and in the long run, would be to always give the ball back to the touchdown scoring team at their own 20. After FGs it would go to the non-scoring team at their own 20. Teams would have to develop according to what works to win games, be it improving aspects of offense or defense to leverage the rules.

This I kind of hate.

I think you risk having a lot of super non-competitive games that start off bad and just snowball. And I think you risk losing a lot of viewers early in games.
Post #: 1590
RE: Other NFL News - 5/21/2020 7:41:09 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

This I kind of hate.

I think you risk having a lot of super non-competitive games that start off bad and just snowball. And I think you risk losing a lot of viewers early in games.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about it. I'm just trying to think of something that's more than a single play that tries to thread the needle between being too easy and too hard.
Post #: 1591
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 2:11:56 AM   
ratoppenheimer

if an inferior team keeps getting the ball back - more and more chances - the likelihood of them connecting increases...they can be getting their asses kicked the entire game and then score a couple of fluke td's and win the game - and against a tired defense that's been out on the filed for three consecutive series....

i don't like rule changes that try to create parity/excitement through special treatment for the inferior - it mitigates the first 55 minutes of playing time....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 5/22/2020 2:46:28 AM >

Post #: 1592
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 2:38:27 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Onside kick success dropped from 21 percent to 6 percent after new rule

When the NFL changed the rules governing kickoffs before the 2018 season, little was said about onside kicks. The focus was on the vast majority of kickoffs, in which the ball is kicked deep and players run full-speed down the field to try to make a tackle, resulting in plenty of head-on collisions.

But onside kicks have become a major casualty of the new kickoff rules, which prevent players from getting a running start before the ball is kicked.

In the 2017 NFL season there were 57 onside kicks and the kicking team recovered 12 of them, or 21 percent. In 2018-2019, under the new rules, there have been 79 onside kicks and the kicking team has recovered 5 of them, or 6 percent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/03/onside-kick-success-dropped-from-21-percent-to-6-percent-after-new-rule/

they water down the rules until they're unbearable and then they have to try to fix the water-downed rules...the nfl with the videogame mentality...never a dull moment....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 5/22/2020 2:46:47 AM >

Post #: 1593
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 8:57:34 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

if an inferior team keeps getting the ball back - more and more chances - the likelihood of them connecting increases...they can be getting their asses kicked the entire game and then score a couple of fluke td's and win the game - and against a tired defense that's been out on the filed for three consecutive series....

i don't like rule changes that try to create parity/excitement through special treatment for the inferior - it mitigates the first 55 minutes of playing time....

I agree.

Why not just have them announce they are going to onside kick (like an extra Olineman has to announce he's eligible) and allow them to get a running start when they do? It''s not like people don't know they are going to onside kick anyway.

Make it a penalty if they announce and then don't onside kick...

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1594
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 12:15:58 PM   
Pager

I like onside kicks. I respect when coaches use them to open the game or half. You gotta play the full sixty minutes. Or would you take away 3 pointers the last two minutes in basketball?

I think current rules of equal players on both sides of the kickers and no running starts should still occur, but allow a team to send players in motion. If they do motion and don't onside kick, it's a 15 yard penalty.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1595
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 12:29:31 PM   
Pager

Would you outlaw Hail Mary's?

Ban laterals on kick off returns? (thinking of the Titans playoff win).

Make the plays or you don't deserve to win no matter what you did the first 55 minutes.

Any follow UofM 98 basketball team? Come from behind win against Indiana (I think). Down by 10 or so with 1 minute left and sam jacobson went off? Or REggie Miller with the Pacers.

Comeback wins are memorable. Why do anything that limits those opps?

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1596
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 1:57:10 PM   
ratoppenheimer

i didn't even consider this...can you imagine a high-flying offense going out there against a bad defense 8-10 times and scoring td's before the other team even sees the ball?....

If the onside kick alternative passes in its current form, who would be the first coach to score on the opening drive, then try to double up before the opposing QB touches the ball?
@nflnetwork

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 5/22/2020 1:59:30 PM >

Post #: 1597
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 3:03:45 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Would you outlaw Hail Mary's?

Ban laterals on kick off returns? (thinking of the Titans playoff win).

Make the plays or you don't deserve to win no matter what you did the first 55 minutes.

Any follow UofM 98 basketball team? Come from behind win against Indiana (I think). Down by 10 or so with 1 minute left and sam jacobson went off? Or REggie Miller with the Pacers.

Comeback wins are memorable. Why do anything that limits those opps?

I believe we were down 9 in the last 36 seconds and won it. That to me was the Gophers finest moment in basketball. It wasn't just Sam Jacobson. It was a full team effort.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1598
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 3:41:35 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

i didn't even consider this...can you imagine a high-flying offense going out there against a bad defense 8-10 times and scoring td's before the other team even sees the ball?....

If the onside kick alternative passes in its current form, who would be the first coach to score on the opening drive, then try to double up before the opposing QB touches the ball?
@nflnetwork

The first coach would be Belichick

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1599
RE: Other NFL News - 5/22/2020 6:29:30 PM   
Todd M

They say it's only going to be successful at the old going rate of the onside kick. I don't think you'll see it that much aggressively as you will see to try and make a comeback.

They line up like that and I am sending the house.
Post #: 1600
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode