Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: World Cup Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: World Cup Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/20/2019 4:32:39 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Our ladies take care of business again but it was a much better test. I really like the way Ellis utilizes our flexibility within her formational choices.

She doesn't get mentioned enough but Tobin Heath is a massive player for this team. She drives our forwards but also was dropped back to the midfield when Lloyd came on. She's also played wingback at times. The only thing she doesn't do is play keeper.

Kelly O'hara was also very good today. She was a very forceful wingback providing a lot of offense on the flanks but she's also very good defensively.

The good: the formation and the front line. We played a 4-3-3 but it was hard to tell at times because the front 3 worked so hard to backtrack and provide support for our midfield. It's the same flow that was so stifling to Thailand and Chile.

The bad: our back 4, at times, has been very disjointed and gets very 'thin' at times. It almost bit us in the ass in the first half when Crystal Dunn lost her damn mind and got completely sucked in on a counter attack.

The ugly: the aforementioned Dunn. She's a good player, who hasn't played much, but she was pretty awful in the grand scheme of things.
Post #: 51
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/21/2019 7:40:33 AM   
SoMnFan

Love these recaps
Thanks Jeff
I know nothing … but do enjoy learning from you
Saw the 2-0 win and wondered what that meant.
Appreciate the insights.
Post #: 52
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/21/2019 11:04:00 AM   
TJSweens

Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but the USA men's team beat Guyana 4-0 in it's Gold Cup match at Allianz Field

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 53
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/21/2019 2:30:37 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but the USA men's team beat Guyana 4-0 in it's Gold Cup match at Allianz Field

Nope. When the USMNT peaks they are, at best, mediocre. Let the real winners (the ladies) get their time. It's long overdue. In fact, IMO, it's another slap in the face to the USWNT that this tourney is happening at the same time as the f'ng WC. It's not some random tourney. IT'S THE WC!

< Message edited by Jeff Jesser -- 6/21/2019 2:32:52 PM >
Post #: 54
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/21/2019 3:11:56 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Love these recaps
Thanks Jeff
I know nothing … but do enjoy learning from you
Saw the 2-0 win and wondered what that meant.
Appreciate the insights.

NP man. I love discussing the game. Not sure if you guys know what I meant by "getting too thin". That means your 4 defenders get to much in a bunch. It leaves huge areas of the pitch wide open and it's very easy to exploit and attack. What Dunn did was leave her area to try and help the left centerback. Noble, but she whiffed and let an attacker have a wide open run at goal and she got off a shot.

They didn't score but it was a great opportunity. Honestly, I was shocked that it wasn't 1-1 at that point. It should have been.
Post #: 55
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/22/2019 2:54:29 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Nigeria. Last team in the round of 16 and first one out as Germany takes care of business.
Post #: 56
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/22/2019 5:01:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Man, it's crazy how young, top athletes, can fold under pressure. The 'next best things'. It happened to Beckham in the WC. He was the toast of England. Good looking, can't miss, best player in the world.

They get to the knock out rounds, he has to step up and hit it…..and promptly puts it about 20 rows in the stands.

Fast forward to today. Biggest up and comer in the world. Just got bought by Chelsea for 2 million (which is crazy money in the women's game). Sam Kerr has the first shot in stoppage time PK's. Steps up, world watching, and she "Beckham's" it.

Australia going home and Norway moves on.
Post #: 57
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/23/2019 8:50:08 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

Nope. When the USMNT peaks they are, at best, mediocre. Let the real winners (the ladies) get their time. It's long overdue. In fact, IMO, it's another slap in the face to the USWNT that this tourney is happening at the same time as the f'ng WC. It's not some random tourney. IT'S THE WC!

6-0 last night against T and T. Was a thumping but the score was not indicitave of the actual game play. A more realistic scoreline would have been 2-0.
Post #: 58
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 7:38:23 AM   
SoMnFan

Crazy how this drags out
Feels like it runs over a couple months.
Post #: 59
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 8:06:54 AM   
Jeff Jesser

These tourney's are a month. Think of March Madness. Same number of teams and you can't expect them to play every other night. In the Women's WC, the Australia/Norway game went to PK's. Think about that. Running football field sprints, non stop, for 2 hours with a 15 minute break in between, all the while you have people kicking your shins non stop.

It's brutal man. People think it's a game of sissy's because of the diving. I can tell you…it's not. I was 5x's more exhausted after a soccer match versus a hockey game. Heat is a big part of it too. It's 90+ out there at kick off.
Post #: 60
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 8:08:00 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Big one today. Everyone has been bookmarking the US versus the hosts (France) this upcoming Friday. France did their part yesterday (barely). Will we?
Post #: 61
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 8:11:05 AM   
SoMnFan

Yup, didn't mean that wrong, Jeff.
Just amazed at how long it takes.
Totally understand the needed down time.
Post #: 62
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 8:23:38 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Yup, didn't mean that wrong, Jeff.
Just amazed at how long it takes.
Totally understand the needed down time.

Oh, sorry man. Didn't mean that to sound like some sort of lecture. Wasn't my intention at all. I just remember thinking how the real "men" played football, like myself and the "whimps" played soccer in grade school. I started playing soccer in the summers to keep in shape for the hockey season. I couldn't believe how damn demanding it was. I gained an instant respect and love for the game and switched all together. Never played football again. We played the football team at soccer one day for fun. They talked mad crap before and didn't last a half. They bowed out ungracefully.
Post #: 63
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 11:16:47 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Strong start for the ladies followed by an absolute gaffe by our keeper and it's 1-1. This is going to be a very tough test. Spain puts a lot of pressure on our backline.
Post #: 64
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 11:42:54 AM   
TJSweens

According to the fivethirteight commentary, Spain is getting some great chances out of limited possession.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 65
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 11:53:00 AM   
Jeff Jesser

They are. They put a lot of pressure on the backline (think of it as a forecheck) and it's causing a lot of havoc. Our keeper is clearly rattled by it. She caused the goal and made another mistake later that almost got them the lead. I expect Ellis to get Lloyd in there pretty early in the 2nd half to try and take the game over.
Post #: 66
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 12:00:40 PM   
Jeff Jesser

First half:

Rapinoe - not effective
Morgan - not even a remote factor
Heath - created the goal but has been way too silent

Mewis - decent
Ertz - decent but hasn't bossed the midfield
Lavelle - most effective player so far

Dunn - not great and they are pushing the ball right at her. they are trying to expose her. She's been ok so far
Sauerbraun - great as always. that 50 yard bomb that set up the goal was money
Darkemper - unnoticeable which is what you want from a CB
O'hara - good but hasn't pushed the ball up the field enough

Naeher - terrible. as much as Solo was a nutcase, she was a very good goalie.
Post #: 67
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 12:08:19 PM   
TJSweens

I heard there was a bullshit yellow card on Rapinoe in the first half as well.

Post #: 68
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 12:09:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

I heard there was a bullshit yellow card on Rapinoe in the first half as well.

Accidental slap to the face that was pretty lame but they will always call that if it's the face.
Post #: 69
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 12:32:58 PM   
Jeff Jesser

2nd penalty for the US.
Post #: 70
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 12:34:37 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Rapinoe burries it. 2-1
Post #: 71
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 12:36:11 PM   
TJSweens

WHEW! Now tighten up the D.

Post #: 72
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 12:46:10 PM   
TJSweens

Based on the commentary, it sounds like Rapinoe has come alive.

Post #: 73
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 1:13:23 PM   
TJSweens

The US wins and now face host country and co favorite, France in the quarter finals.

Post #: 74
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 2:10:20 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

Based on the commentary, it sounds like Rapinoe has come alive.

Her PK’s were unsaveable but her touch was pretty off all game.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: World Cup Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode