Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: World Cup Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: World Cup Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 3:51:21 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Alex Morgan says …. IN YOUR FACE, doubters!

Trump will be much happier with this result.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 101
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 4:41:38 PM   
TJSweens

Rapinoe being out of the lineup is apparently a combination of a mild hamstring issue and a tactical move. England's best player is RB Lucy Bronze, who is incredibly fast. Rapinoe on two healthy legs would have a hard time keeping up with her when Bronze attacks. Seems like everybody is attacking the USA on the left side where Crystal Dunn is playing even though she really isn't a left back. Christen Press is a much better defensive forward and fast enough to mark Bronze. Rapinoe didn't even warm up, so the injury is at least part of the reason.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 102
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 5:05:58 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Press is incredibly fast she just missed some absolute sitters against Chile and that’s kept her out of the lineup a bit. When you are in a WC, I don’t care who it’s against, you can’t miss those or you’ll ride pine. You have play the hot hand at striker.
Post #: 103
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 5:06:34 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I give credit she opened it today!
Post #: 104
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 9:20:35 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Alex Morgan says …. IN YOUR FACE, doubters!

Trump will be much happier with this result.

He thinks she's hot
Very very hot.
Post #: 105
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 10:49:12 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Not his type. Just ask him.
Post #: 106
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 11:36:17 PM   
SoMnFan

She's never been happier.
Post #: 107
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/3/2019 12:26:09 PM   
Jeff Jesser

English and the French are now bonding over their ‘disgust’ at how Morgan celebrated her goal 😀

I would laugh my ass off if they scored and pretended to stuff their faces with 70 hot dogs in a “game” of gluttony. Grow a pair people. Jeez can you imagine what would happen if our men could get their shit together
Post #: 108
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/4/2019 12:51:59 PM   
SoMnFan

What are we thinking?
Netherlands, eh?
Are we huge favorites?
Whats their deal? Speed?
I keep thinking how fanatical they are about speed-skating, probably are about soccer as well.
Post #: 109
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/4/2019 2:00:01 PM   
Jeff Jesser

For their men’s team yes but their women’s team is pretty new. We should be heavy favorites. That being said, every non-American in the stadium will be rooting against us. I saw them play twice. They have one very good forward. I don’t know her name but she’ll stand out.

She’s got funky hair and is built like a brick shithouse. She’s one of those athletes that you look at and laugh thinking ‘no way’. You quickly realize she’ a baller. The women’s soccer Phil Kessel.
Post #: 110
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/7/2019 12:19:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

our women are amazing. 4th star over the crest. Men = 0 and not even a semi-final. Pretty crazy.
Post #: 111
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/7/2019 12:39:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

This team, realistically, has another run in them in four years. We will lose Lloyd, Rapinoe, Krieger and Saurbraun. If everyone else stays healthy we can take it again. Dunn and Lavelle (especially Lavelle) will drive this team forward.

Lavelle/Morgan/O'hara/Ertz/Horan/Mewis/Dahlkemper/Press/Heath and Naeher. That's a hell of a core to return for another run. That doesn't even count the young players coming up the pipeline like players like Mewis/Lavelle/Dunn were in the past cup. Nobody had even heard of Lavelle 4 years ago.
Post #: 112
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/8/2019 7:02:51 AM   
SoMnFan

Another great run.
Thanks for the info Jeff and others
Fun to follow along.
Post #: 113
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/8/2019 1:58:06 PM   
twinsfan

Could the US women beat the US men?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 114
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/8/2019 4:16:08 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

This team, realistically, has another run in them in four years. We will lose Lloyd, Rapinoe, Krieger and Saurbraun. If everyone else stays healthy we can take it again. Dunn and Lavelle (especially Lavelle) will drive this team forward.

Lavelle/Morgan/O'hara/Ertz/Horan/Mewis/Dahlkemper/Press/Heath and Naeher. That's a hell of a core to return for another run. That doesn't even count the young players coming up the pipeline like players like Mewis/Lavelle/Dunn were in the past cup. Nobody had even heard of Lavelle 4 years ago.

Sounds like the final could have been 6-0 if it wasn't for the heroics of the Netherlands goal keeper.

It really is amazing how well stocked the pipeline is year after year. The USWNT remains dominant even with the rest of the world improving dramatically. That roster has turned over many times since those early days of Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Brianna Scurry and Brandi Chastain.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 115
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/8/2019 4:25:50 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Think about this for a second. There have been 8 WWC’s. We’ve won 4 and lost one of the other finals on PK’s.

This years team went in a bit downtrodden and left champions never once trailing.
Post #: 116
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/8/2019 4:28:28 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Think about this for a second. There have been 8 WWC’s. We’ve won 4 and lost one of the other finals on PK’s.

This years team went in a bit downtrodden and left champions never once trailing.

That's just dominance. They have reached that point where you can have some debates over which edition was the best. Back in the 90's Mia Hamm was the gold standard, but how would she stack up in today's game?

Post #: 117
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/8/2019 5:32:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It’s a great question but to me it’s the same as Jordan vs Kobe ect...

Yeah, Mia was the best but her competition sucked compared to...say...Heath. Heath is as dominant as she is because of the Hamm generation but if you invented a time machine and sent Tobin back in time she would make Mia look average.

These are just opinion but I won’t say the same about Morgan. She isn’t tough enough. She wouldn’t have physically made it out of the group stages. Lookup Michelle Akers if you are curious as to why. The game was different then.
Post #: 118
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/9/2019 7:49:49 AM   
SoMnFan

Akers was the Larry Robinson of her day imo.
Size and just the right aggression to squelch anything and anyone in her reach.
Pronger-like for you younger guys.
Post #: 119
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/9/2019 9:23:02 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Pronger with a ponytail?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 120
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/9/2019 9:26:57 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

It’s a great question but to me it’s the same as Jordan vs Kobe ect...

Yeah, Mia was the best but her competition sucked compared to...say...Heath. Heath is as dominant as she is because of the Hamm generation but if you invented a time machine and sent Tobin back in time she would make Mia look average.

These are just opinion but I won’t say the same about Morgan. She isn’t tough enough. She wouldn’t have physically made it out of the group stages. Lookup Michelle Akers if you are curious as to why. The game was different then.

This all just makes the USWNT continued dominance that much more impressive. The whole world of women's soccer has gotten just a helluva lot better, but the US team manages to stay ahead of the pack. The feeder program is still second to none.

Post #: 121
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/9/2019 11:11:24 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

She was the rock that made that team great. Horrific injuries? No biggie, dust it off. Hamm got the glory but without Akers, Hamm gets chopped down early and often. What I loved were her facial expressions when she would clatter in to someone hard. It wasn’t today’s “oh sorry was going for the ball and mistimed it 😐”. It was more “yeah, and 🤬”.
Post #: 122
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/9/2019 11:16:28 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Agree Tim. Teams like Sweden/Norway/Germany have always been good. Now it’s becoming increasingly difficult because the non European powerhouses have most of their rosters made up of women who play collegiate ball in the states but won’t make the US roster so they play for the motherland.

Hell, even Marta lives in Orlando now if I’m not mistaken.
Post #: 123
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/9/2019 11:18:16 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Agree Tim. Teams like Sweden/Norway/Germany have always been good. Now it’s becoming increasingly difficult because the non European powerhouses have most of their rosters made up of women who play collegiate ball in the states but won’t make the US roster so they play for the motherland.

Hell, even Marta lives in Orlando now if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah, it's like the Russion and Japanese tennis stars that have lived in Florida since they could walk.

Post #: 124
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/9/2019 11:31:13 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Pronger with a ponytail?

I remember Akers with the big hair.
Enforcer
Willie Plett-ish
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: World Cup Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode