Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: World Cup Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: World Cup Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 2:13:40 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I praised ELlis earlier but she was out coached today. They were unprepared for the high press game.

Hopefully it was a good wake up call. We also need a lot more from Morgan. I get it. They were chopping her down all
Game but she had zero impact
Post #: 76
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 2:36:24 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Based on the commentary, it sounds like Rapinoe has come alive.

Her PK’s were unsaveable but her touch was pretty off all game.

There were a lot of late game comments on how she was chewing up the clock in the extra time. They only way they could get the ball away from her was to foul her.

Which reminds me of another line of comments. It sounded like Spain was almost employing fouling as a strategy. Very physical. Sounds like a lot of US were getting knocked down.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 77
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 6:39:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. That was the tactic. Press high and try and force defensive/goalie errors and beat the shit out of our mids and forwards. It worked well. It's why I mentioned Ellis got out coached. She was not prepared for that style of game but she should have been (I had no idea they could play that way either but it's not my job. I've not scouted them).

Our entire attack was launch it long and try to beat their high back line. It worked for the first PK/goal but they adjusted and we didn't. After that we had no game. Morgan should have come off for Lloyd at halftime but halftime subs are not in Ellis' handbook. It drives me nuts. I get that you can make halftime formation adjustments but I hate ridged managers who won't use a full toolset.

Morgan's game is pure speed and skill. It's not physical and Spain took her completely out of the game. You could tell that was what they talked about pregame. Every time she was near the ball they fouled her and it got in her head. She was a complete non-factor after 10 minutes. If you're Ellis you have to know your players and what effects them and get them off the pitch if you have to. This was a knockout game and she gambled. She got lucky but it was dumb. She should have been more tactical.

The US moves on to face the hosts because of a very iffy call against a team they were highly favored over. Not a good look and they better get it together. Both those PK's aren't called on Friday.
Post #: 78
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 6:40:58 PM   
Jeff Jesser

BTW- Wagner summed it up well at the start of the 2nd. "Ellis isn't good at making halftime adjustments because she never has to. The game is usually fully under control. Lets see what she does".
Post #: 79
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/24/2019 6:44:13 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Last point. If Lloyd doesn't start, and play a full 90 (unless we are a couple goals ahead), Ellis is crazy. We played in panic mode today and our overall talent got us through. It won't on Friday.

Our CB's are solid (I know Sauerbraun made a mistake but, IMO, that was on the keeper) but our LB and keeper are a mess. No offense to either but Dunn was overwhelmed and our keeper was Dubnyk in her first real test.
Post #: 80
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/26/2019 10:57:05 PM   
twinsfan

It is really quite boring to watch.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 81
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/26/2019 11:00:32 PM   
twinsfan

You tell yourself "This is important," and it tricks you for awhile. But then you realize you're just trying too hard to be cool, that it is just boring, and yeah, I guess I want the US to win, but whatevz. C'mon SMF, you gotta know where I'm comin' from, bro.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 82
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/27/2019 6:28:56 AM   
TJSweens

Don't feed the troll.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 83
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/27/2019 7:51:09 AM   
SoMnFan

I've never "tried" to be cool.
Obviously.
Post #: 84
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/28/2019 5:39:36 PM   
TJSweens

The US made the host French feel Les Miserables with a 2-1 win in the quarterfinals.

Once again, Rapinoe scored both goals, giving her 5 for the tournament and all 4 of the teams goals in the knockout round. That ... is ... CLUTCH!

Post #: 85
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/29/2019 9:07:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

She is money and she is best with a chip on her shoulder (Lloyd is the same). Her injury derailed her momentum after the last WC. She's a bit weird though in the fact that she can do shit that make you say "best in the world" and then 2 minutes later you say "WTF is she doing?". She not afraid to take chances is my guess as to 'why'.

Once again Morgan continues to be the most covered athlete of the cup and she's the most overrated women's athlete on the planet.
Post #: 86
RE: World Cup Thread - 6/29/2019 11:18:07 PM   
twinsfan

Trump has his sheep turned against the team now.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 87
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/1/2019 8:31:09 AM   
SoMnFan

Glad to see these reports
That's what I've been seeing
Morgan? Pretty. And athletic. But not real productive at the needed times.
Rapinoe? Money. Straight cash money, homey.
Plus, she's irritating the irritator. Shes the total package.
Post #: 88
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/1/2019 8:51:42 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Glad to see these reports
That's what I've been seeing
Morgan? Pretty. And athletic. But not real productive at the needed times.
Rapinoe? Money. Straight cash money, homey.
Plus, she's irritating the irritator. Shes the total package.

I'm surprised at the negative comments on Morgan. Granted, as is almost always the case, her looks give her more notoriety than players of similar skill, who are not attractive. At the same time, she is a pretty damn good player. She does have five goals in this World Cup even if some came in their opening blowout win.

None the less, with the game on the line Rapinoe is the player I would look too 10 times out of 10. Even with my limited soccer acumen, I can see that she is a cold blooded assassin with the game on the line. I just laughed at the Orangutan in Chief when he tweeted that Rapinoe should wait until she wins to celebrate like she did. Is he f***ing kidding? She has the US to a World Cup championship in 2015, Second place in 2011, an Olympic gold medal and 4 straight, Gold Cup championships. Maybe she should wait until she wins something. What a douche.

Post #: 89
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/1/2019 12:11:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Morgan is a good player but the fame has gotten to her head. She whines too much for me and I hate that for any athlete in any sport. She thinks every time she gets touched she is fouled. BTW - all of her 5 were that first game against Thailand.
Post #: 90
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/1/2019 12:28:26 PM   
TJSweens

I didn't realize it was all 5. None the less, she has 106 goals in international play. I get being annoyed with the prima donna crap, I hate that in all sports too (Gretzky syndrome). She will never be the heart and soul of a team like Rapinoe and Lloyd, but she is a very effective player.

Post #: 91
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 10:56:59 AM   
twinsfan

When does this tournament finally end?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 92
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 10:57:56 AM   
TJSweens

When somebody wins it.

Post #: 93
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 10:59:28 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

When somebody wins it.

Why does it take so long? Didn't it start with like 16 teams?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 94
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 11:04:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

When somebody wins it.

Nope. It started with pool play, which qualified 16 teams for the knock out round. They are now down to the semi finals.

Post #: 95
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 11:07:44 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

When somebody wins it.

Nope. It started with pool play, which qualified 16 teams for the knock out round. They are now down to the semi finals.

Any chance it's been rigged for the US to make it this far?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 96
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 11:17:40 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

When somebody wins it.

Any chance it's been rigged for the US to make it this far?

Nope in fact you could argue they tried to rig it for France against the US. The goal that should have made it 3-0 was disallowed on an offside call and the refused to do a VAR review. The VAR showed that the US player was clearly on side.

Post #: 97
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 2:14:10 PM   
twinsfan

Rapinoe has been benched. Is Trump in control or is the soccer coach in control?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 98
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 3:07:05 PM   
twinsfan

Let me guess. Nobody wants any spoilers. Sad, really.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 99
RE: World Cup Thread - 7/2/2019 3:46:09 PM   
SoMnFan

Alex Morgan says …. IN YOUR FACE, doubters!
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: World Cup Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode