Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2019 10:14:17 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

This team has gone from young to really expensive fast

Richardson
Barr
Simien
Murray
Bailey
Robinson
Sherels
t johnson
Iloka
Jones
Easton
Harris
Wile
Compton
Abdullah
Hill
Lang
Ham
Price

are all off the books and we only have like 6.6ml in cap space

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/minnesota-vikings/

Cutting Remmers, Sendejo and re-structures can put us at 20+ pretty fast.

Not when you consider our current cap number will be needed to sign our rookie pool

We may well have to say good-bye to both Grif and Rudy

You are assuming you know the cap number already as it goes up 8 to 12 million every year.....in addition how many of those are minimum contracts? A lot of those don't count against the cap.

Those are good points, though I think at some point as they cut from 90 down to 53, all 53 salaries count against the cap. The nfl has already told teams the cap will raise from 177.2 to 187.0 - 191.1. At least 10M and could be close to 14M.

I don't think freeing up 30M will be too difficult. There have been several articles on how the Vikings could do it (one had a hypothetical situation getting us to 48M).
This assumes players will accept restructured deals. It also includes cutting several players like Sendejo.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2951
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 12:54:09 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

Still waiting to hear who all these "credible" starting offensive linemen are that have already told their agents to get to Minnesota, first stop. And do the reverse leverage thing... tell the Wilfs they are not leaving until Brzez signs their guy. Below market rate, screw the other teams, =better schemes, just do whatever it takes to sign in Minny.

We can host and sign them all simultaneously!

Matt Paradis
Mitch Morse https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Matt-Paradis-free-agent-profile-128519680/
Andy Levitre damaged goods. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24725303/andy-levitre-atlanta-falcons-left-guard-placed-injured-reserve-triceps-injury
Ramon Foster https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Ramon-Foster-free-agent-profile-128474860/
Quinton Spain https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SpaiQu00.htm
Travis Swanson https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SwanTr00.htm
Rodger Saffold https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SaffRo20.htm
Ju'Wuan James http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/28635/big-payday-near-jawuan-james-will-see-how-much-dolphins-value-him
A.J. Cann
Mike Iupati
Max Garcia

And others who can be signed or traded for to, at a minimum, credibly man the interior of the OL so we're not entirely dependent on finding Day 1 starters in the draft.

Now tell me the two certain Day 1 starters who we will for sure be able to draft in April so we're not starting Tom Compton and Mike Remmers in Game One.

Just added some links

Its just a list and doesn't prove or disprove anything. We will see in the next four or five weeks who is actually going to be available ... and very importantly, why.

(For instance, the list starts out with broken leg, torn triceps, 33 years old) ...

There is usually only one or two good starting caliber OL available each free agency, then a player or two or three with a lot of game experience but OK labels (Reiff), and then a bunch of journeyman.

List not meant to be exhaustive or even proffer certifiably capable OL; instead, I want to show that there are players aplenty in FA and on rosters for the team to comb through and come up with a path to standing up a credible OL in Week One of 2019 no matter what happens in the draft. That path is much clearer than hoping to find at least two legit Day 1 starters in the draft or afterward.

From my POV, which is obviously limited, I would go all in on Paradis. The Kubiak Kids, if they were worth hiring, should give us an inside path. He could be valuable in not only anchoring a chronically weak interior OL, but also in implementing the new system. Then I would focus on an OG who can be at least minimally effective in that system and pass pro, and let Elflein, Easton (if he re-signs), draft picks, lower-tier FAs, etc compete for the other OG spot.

Costly, to some degree, but when you let your roof fall apart and the rainy season is coming, you might overpay to have a viable structure.

Aplenty?

There’s typically not.

I appreciate the outlook right now but pickings are very slim - for everybody. I’m not sure how many consistently decent players will be available - I’m not talking about the good ones. but not a whole lot. Everybody is scrambling.

We have our work cut out.

Remember there are players on other rosters, too, that we can trade for. This is the job of management. There is a pro personnel group whose job it is to know everything about every player who is in the league now, has recently been in the league, is in the CFL, has been in NFL camps, etc. That includes what it might take to get them via trade. A lot us, myself included, hoped this is what happened when we acquired Jones from the NYG at the beginning of the season, but that didn't work out.

There are guys that will enter free agency who are not what one might call "good", but who can usually hold their ground in pass pro and carry out their assignment at least effectively enough to get our running plays started. Sometimes they'll exceed that and sometimes they'll fail, but they can credibly man the position for the most part well enough to allow the offense to operate. That is well north of what we had at LG, C, and RG last year.

I'm not talking about good, just good enough. If we don't add at least a couple of interior guys in FA that can do that, we are counting on finding Day 1 starters in the draft who are available when we pick. That can definitely happen, but we can't count on it. That is what happened in the draft last year.

If we can add Paradis, which should be at least possible with the Kubiak Kids on board, we add a high-quality anchor who knows how to run our new scheme exactly as intended and can call the signals for it from the first mini camp, though he may still be recovering from his broken leg. His price shouldn't be too high, meaning cutting Remmers will get us at least two-thirds of the way there. Then add a guy who is of the type described above for one guard and let Elf, a draft pick, and/or whoever compete for the other spot. If you get a guy at 18 or 50 who is ready to step in at a higher level than the guy we sign, so much the better, but we don't have to count on it to fill a hole. Also, if there's a guy at another position of need like TE, LB, DT, WR, etc., you can consider taking him because you don't have a gaping hole you have to fill; that's how you get to do modified BPA every year instead of trying to continually make up for past failures or expiring contracts.

Going into the draft with a gaping hole at LG and RG, which is what we have, is folly, especially because Elf did not look good himself last year. I have a lot of hope for him, but managing via hope is a ticket to stay where you are or regress.

You and I are going round and round. I do not believe you can go into the draft expecting one, much less two starters ... especially at a targeted position.

There will not be a multitude of good plug and play FAs available, there never are. Besides, too many other teams equally desperate with more money.

Good enough? Changing out Compton, Jones, and Remmers with 'good enough' veteran free agents like Compton, Jones, and Remmers (before they signed with us) didn't fly either.

The offensive braintrust (OC, Kubiak) has to put together a cohesive plan of attack and stick to it. Our new OL coach(es) has to do a better job developing what we have. The draft and pro personnel people have to do a better job of uncovering gamers.

We need some luck or atleast an absence of really bad luck.

What we won't have is a bunch of shiny new fan toys – multiple FAs and multiple high Draft Picks – to make things better.

He's basically saying sign two Remmers types at G. And he ignores other teams pretending those players are 'upgrades' who will overpay, the cap, many players resigning with their own teams, schemes, injuries, age, etc.

Every year there are people who think free agency is the ticket. Outside of oddities like Cousins, it rarely is.

- 1 FA, our designated 'splash', but it isn't going to be a Steve Hutchinson
- #18 pick, who will start and not sit around for a year or two
- Better coaching

Who is the guaranteed Day 1 starter who is guaranteed to be available to us? You have yet to name one, which is a typical debating style of someone who just wants to attack everyone's plans while offering none of their own.

And by the way, the only other difference between my plan and yours is I would try to sign another "good enough, but not necessarily good" FA OG or C. Paradis is not going to get a Hutch-like deal; Saffold would be more likely to, and I've never advocated for that.

Seriously? OK, then who are the TWO free agent legit starters who are, as you say, "guaranteed to be available to us"?

So in your world you name a name and that's guaranteed! Got it.

Wow, you really are into this fantasy. "He named names"... right out of Seinfeld.

My point is there is a large pool of good enough interior linemen that can be found via FA and trade. A team can't get all, but they can get a couple---and maybe even a good or better one or two---and have the hole mostly filled, if not completely. Then you draft prospects who may be better now or later, and you can draft other positions if an opportunity to upgrade presents itself.

If you do nothing in FA and simply count on drafting two Day 1 starters, you have to have certainty they will be there and that they can actually start or you will be left with holes in the interior line, and we saw how well that worked this past season.
Post #: 2952
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 9:38:41 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Still waiting to hear who all these "credible" starting offensive linemen are that have already told their agents to get to Minnesota, first stop. And do the reverse leverage thing... tell the Wilfs they are not leaving until Brzez signs their guy. Below market rate, screw the other teams, =better schemes, just do whatever it takes to sign in Minny.

Matt Paradis
Mitch Morse https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Matt-Paradis-free-agent-profile-128519680/
Andy Levitre damaged goods. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24725303/andy-levitre-atlanta-falcons-left-guard-placed-injured-reserve-triceps-injury
Ramon Foster https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Ramon-Foster-free-agent-profile-128474860/
Ju'Wuan James http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/28635/big-payday-near-jawuan-james-will-see-how-much-dolphins-value-him
A.J. Cann
Mike Iupati
Max Garcia

And others who can be signed or traded for to, at a minimum, credibly man the interior of the OL so we're not entirely dependent on finding Day 1 starters in the draft.

Now tell me the two certain Day 1 starters who we will for sure be able to draft in April so we're not starting Tom Compton and Mike Remmers in Game One.

Just added some links

Its just a list and doesn't prove or disprove anything. We will see in the next four or five weeks who is actually going to be available ... and very importantly, why.

(For instance, the list starts out with broken leg, torn triceps, 33 years old) ...

There is usually only one or two good starting caliber OL available each free agency, then a player or two or three with a lot of game experience but OK labels (Reiff), and then a bunch of journeyman.

List not meant to be exhaustive or even proffer certifiably capable OL; instead, I want to show that there are players aplenty in FA and on rosters for the team to comb through and come up with a path to standing up a credible OL in Week One of 2019 no matter what happens in the draft. That path is much clearer than hoping to find at least two legit Day 1 starters in the draft or afterward.

From my POV, which is obviously limited, I would go all in on Paradis. The Kubiak Kids, if they were worth hiring, should give us an inside path. He could be valuable in not only anchoring a chronically weak interior OL, but also in implementing the new system. Then I would focus on an OG who can be at least minimally effective in that system and pass pro, and let Elflein, Easton (if he re-signs), draft picks, lower-tier FAs, etc compete for the other OG spot.

Costly, to some degree, but when you let your roof fall apart and the rainy season is coming, you might overpay to have a viable structure.

Aplenty?

There’s typically not.

I appreciate the outlook right now but pickings are very slim - for everybody. I’m not sure how many consistently decent players will be available - I’m not talking about the good ones. but not a whole lot. Everybody is scrambling.

Remember there are players on other rosters, too, that we can trade for. This is the job of management. There is a pro personnel group whose job it is to know everything about every player who is in the league now, has recently been in the league, is in the CFL, has been in NFL camps, etc. That includes what it might take to get them via trade. A lot us, myself included, hoped this is what happened when we acquired Jones from the NYG at the beginning of the season, but that didn't work out.

There are guys that will enter free agency who are not what one might call "good", but who can usually hold their ground in pass pro and carry out their assignment at least effectively enough to get our running plays started. Sometimes they'll exceed that and sometimes they'll fail, but they can credibly man the position for the most part well enough to allow the offense to operate. That is well north of what we had at LG, C, and RG last year.

I'm not talking about good, just good enough. If we don't add at least a couple of interior guys in FA that can do that, we are counting on finding Day 1 starters in the draft who are available when we pick. That can definitely happen, but we can't count on it. That is what happened in the draft last year.

If we can add Paradis, which should be at least possible with the Kubiak Kids on board, we add a high-quality anchor who knows how to run our new scheme exactly as intended and can call the signals for it from the first mini camp, though he may still be recovering from his broken leg. His price shouldn't be too high, meaning cutting Remmers will get us at least two-thirds of the way there. Then add a guy who is of the type described above for one guard and let Elf, a draft pick, and/or whoever compete for the other spot. If you get a guy at 18 or 50 who is ready to step in at a higher level than the guy we sign, so much the better, but we don't have to count on it to fill a hole. Also, if there's a guy at another position of need like TE, LB, DT, WR, etc., you can consider taking him because you don't have a gaping hole you have to fill; that's how you get to do modified BPA every year instead of trying to continually make up for past failures or expiring contracts.

Going into the draft with a gaping hole at LG and RG, which is what we have, is folly, especially because Elf did not look good himself last year. I have a lot of hope for him, but managing via hope is a ticket to stay where you are or regress.

You and I are going round and round. I do not believe you can go into the draft expecting one, much less two starters ... especially at a targeted position.

There will not be a multitude of good plug and play FAs available, there never are. Besides, too many other teams equally desperate with more money.

Good enough? Changing out Compton, Jones, and Remmers with 'good enough' veteran free agents like Compton, Jones, and Remmers (before they signed with us) didn't fly either.

The offensive braintrust (OC, Kubiak) has to put together a cohesive plan of attack and stick to it. Our new OL coach(es) has to do a better job developing what we have. The draft and pro personnel people have to do a better job of uncovering gamers.

What we won't have is a bunch of shiny new fan toys – multiple FAs and multiple high Draft Picks – to make things better.

He's basically saying sign two Remmers types at G. And he ignores other teams pretending those players are 'upgrades' who will overpay, the cap, many players resigning with their own teams, schemes, injuries, age, etc.

Every year there are people who think free agency is the ticket. Outside of oddities like Cousins, it rarely is.

- Better coaching

Who is the guaranteed Day 1 starter who is guaranteed to be available to us? You have yet to name one, which is a typical debating style of someone who just wants to attack everyone's plans while offering none of their own.

And by the way, the only other difference between my plan and yours is I would try to sign another "good enough, but not necessarily good" FA OG or C. Paradis is not going to get a Hutch-like deal; Saffold would be more likely to, and I've never advocated for that.

Seriously? OK, then who are the TWO free agent legit starters who are, as you say, "guaranteed to be available to us"?

Wow, you really are into this fantasy. "He named names"... right out of Seinfeld.

My point is there is a large pool of good enough interior linemen that can be found via FA and trade. A team can't get all, but they can get a couple---and maybe even a good or better one or two---and have the hole mostly filled, if not completely. Then you draft prospects who may be better now or later, and you can draft other positions if an opportunity to upgrade presents itself.

If you do nothing in FA and simply count on drafting two Day 1 starters, you have to have certainty they will be there and that they can actually start or you will be left with holes in the interior line, and we saw how well that worked this past season.

Exactly! 2 years ago Spielman went out and signed Reiff and Remmers after the debacle of 2016. There were other, better FA on the market, but they signed elsewhere. It happens every year and this year will be no different. Some top tier FA offensive linemen are going to hit the market, as are some solid, but unspectacular players. Hopefully, this year Spielman does what he should have done last year, which is to continue to add to the oline with QUALITY free agents and draft picks. There is absolutely no reason he can't get a starting G in free agency and draft a G and T within the first 3 rounds of the draft. It's just a question of if Spielman is serious about fixing the o line.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 2953
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 9:50:10 AM   
Phil Riewer

So which tackle are you interested in replacing? I think O'Neal showed he can handle RT and Reiff if healthy can handle LT....fix the two Guard spots in whatever way needed---maybe a FA center and move Elf to guard....it won't take 4 FA and/or draft picks to resolve this or greatly improve the line.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/4/2019 9:52:42 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2954
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 9:53:49 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

cut and renegotiate another $20m in cap space

trade either rhodes or waynes for picks or a starting guard

sign paradis and ramon foster for about $12m/yr collectively

draft:
1st - ot
2nd - te
3rd - guard
4th - lb

I'm advocating we get Compton to add 10 lbs to his average squat reps.

Then we draft some players. Or some birds.

Then we should be good to go.

I'm told parakeets are in short supply.
Post #: 2955
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 9:56:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

PFF showed that Compton played as well as any FA guard....so basically that gives you a clue of the whole lot.....you don't overpay for a OG in FA.

Post #: 2956
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 10:14:10 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

cut and renegotiate another $20m in cap space

trade either rhodes or waynes for picks or a starting guard

sign paradis and ramon foster for about $12m/yr collectively

draft:
1st - ot
2nd - te
3rd - guard
4th - lb

Then we draft some players. Or some birds.

Then we should be good to go.

I'm told parakeets are in short supply.

Cheeky bastard.

I much prefer coconut-laden African Swallows. Better in a phone booth.
Post #: 2957
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 10:18:33 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

I'm advocating we get Compton to take a squat on somebody else's roster.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2958
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 10:31:33 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Matt Paradis
A.J. Cann
Mike Iupati
Max Garcia

Just added some links

Aplenty?

There’s typically not.

- Better coaching

Exactly! 2 years ago Spielman went out and signed Reiff and Remmers after the debacle of 2016. There were other, better FA on the market, but they signed elsewhere. It happens every year and this year will be no different. Some top tier FA offensive linemen are going to hit the market, as are some solid, but unspectacular players. Hopefully, this year Spielman does what he should have done last year, which is to continue to add to the oline with QUALITY free agents and draft picks. There is absolutely no reason he can't get a starting G in free agency and draft a G and T within the first 3 rounds of the draft. It's just a question of if Spielman is serious about fixing the o line.

Happy Norseman - if the OL was worse that offseason and we had more cap space for FAs ... do you think we will be more aggressive in FA this offseason?

That offseason we had more pressure to improve the OL and no #1 draft pick ... if Spielman didnt address the OL then until rds 3 and 5 do you think he will use 2 of his first 3 picks this draft?

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/4/2019 10:36:10 AM >
Post #: 2959
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 10:44:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

PFF showed that Compton played as well as any FA guard....so basically that gives you a clue of the whole lot.....you don't overpay for a OG in FA.

Or it shows off the inherent flaws in PFFs grading of O-Linemen.

There are a lot of things PFF does well tracking, but they've always struggled judging Offensive Lines.
Post #: 2960
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 10:45:14 AM   
David Levine

quote:

So which tackle are you interested in replacing? I think O'Neal showed he can handle RT and Reiff if healthy can handle LT....fix the two Guard spots in whatever way needed---maybe a FA center and move Elf to guard....it won't take 4 FA and/or draft picks to resolve this or greatly improve the line.

If we can nail 2 linemen using just 2 resources, that's fantastic.

Unfortunately our track record says it ain't happening...
Post #: 2961
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 11:20:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

What I have said all along is you don't need to replace O'Neil and Reiff....so why 2 FA and 2 draft picks that some are suggesting? I can see trading or cutting Remmers and replacing him.

Post #: 2962
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 11:28:14 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

What I have said all along is you don't need to replace O'Neil and Reiff....so why 2 FA and 2 draft picks that some are suggesting? I can see trading or cutting Remmers and replacing him.

Because the odds of us just grabbing 2 guys and having them work out is miniscule. And its symptomatic of our ongoing issues. Spielman tries to do the least possible when it comes to the line, and it never works.
Post #: 2963
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 11:36:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because the odds of us just grabbing 2 guys and having them work out is miniscule. And its symptomatic of our ongoing issues. Spielman tries to do the least possible when it comes to the line, and it never works.

I disagree....FA money was spent on Boone, Remmers, and Reiff in FA and draft capital was used on Elflein and O'Neil the last 2 years. That isn't the definition of least possible. Do they need to spend resources on it this year----yes.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/4/2019 11:37:36 AM >

Post #: 2964
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 11:37:53 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree....FA money was spent on Boone, Remmers, and Reiff in FA. That isn't the definition of least possible. Do they need to spend resources on it this year----yes.

And 1 out of 3 mostly worked.

That's why you need to go after more than just the bare minimum number of guys.
Post #: 2965
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 11:58:57 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree....FA money was spent on Boone, Remmers, and Reiff in FA. That isn't the definition of least possible. Do they need to spend resources on it this year----yes.

And 1 out of 3 mostly worked.

That's why you need to go after more than just the bare minimum number of guys.

Not to mention there will be injuries and we need to improve our depth too.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2966
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 1:37:24 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I'd kick the tires on Ty Nsekhe. He's an URFA and has played pretty well filling in for Trent Williams.
Post #: 2967
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 1:42:03 PM   
The Happy Norseman

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Happy Norseman - if the OL was worse that offseason and we had more cap space for FAs ... do you think we will be more aggressive in FA this offseason?

That offseason we had more pressure to improve the OL and no #1 draft pick ... if Spielman didnt address the OL then until rds 3 and 5 do you think he will use 2 of his first 3 picks this draft?
[/quote]

Honestly, I think it's 50/50 at best. Spielman took the first step in overhauling our awful 2016 oline in 2017, but then he forgot to take the next step last year. I think he will draft a G within the first 3 rounds, but I'm not confident after that. I do think that there would be a lot of excitement in Viking land if he did pull the trigger and go all out on fixing the offense though - even at the expense of losing some of our defensive players. Hopefully Kubiak has some pull as it relates to the draft.

Personally, I'd like to see Spielman trade down bit, then draft a G and a TE in the 2nd round, and a Tackle in the 3rd. It would provide depth at the Tackle position this year, but more importantly, would allow us do dump Reiff - and his salary - next year.

< Message edited by The Happy Norseman -- 2/4/2019 1:50:52 PM >

Post #: 2968
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 1:49:51 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree....FA money was spent on Boone, Remmers, and Reiff in FA and draft capital was used on Elflein and O'Neil the last 2 years. That isn't the definition of least possible. Do they need to spend resources on it this year----yes.

I don't want to draft a tackle this year to replace Reiff or O'Neill in 2019. I want to draft a tackle this year for depth and to replace Reiff next year so we can dump his salary. Hopefully O'Neill continues to improve this year, and can then slide over to the left side next year.

That was Spielman's problem - he started to address the line in 2017, but didn't follow through in 2018. Of the guys you listed, O'Neill was the only one Spielman secured last year.

Post #: 2969
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 3:16:38 PM   
Trekgeekscott

I don't have time to really go back and look.

Was there any discussion on that passing of Wade Wilson?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2970
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 4:05:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Matt Paradis
A.J. Cann
Mike Iupati
Max Garcia

Just added some links

Aplenty?

There’s typically not.

- Better coaching

"If you do nothing in FA..."

What?? Nobody but nobody is saying do nothing in free agency, nor is anyone expecting the team to do nothing.

Two starters at G is IMO fantasy. I say one FA G and one drafted G. Each expected to start. Then lower tier FA and lower round OL to battle with the rest.

You say at least two starting FA guards. Good luck with that happening, I say it's fantasy with all the FA variables like 31 other teams. Let's end this. We shall see.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/4/2019 4:10:01 PM >
Post #: 2971
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 5:15:22 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Matt Paradis
A.J. Cann
Mike Iupati
Max Garcia

Just added some links

Aplenty?

There’s typically not.

- Better coaching

"If you do nothing in FA..."

What?? Nobody but nobody is saying do nothing in free agency, nor is anyone expecting the team to do nothing.

Two starters at G is IMO fantasy. I say one FA G and one drafted G. Each expected to start. Then lower tier FA and lower round OL to battle with the rest.

You say at least two starting FA guards. Good luck with that happening, I say it's fantasy with all the FA variables like 31 other teams. Let's end this. We shall see.

HA Ha ha! Welcome to the status quo mobile. You must’ve boarded Virgin Galactic for your short little orbit.
Post #: 2972
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 5:44:56 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Keep in mind here Phil that the cupboard was bare when he did this after the 2016 injury riddled debacle.

You must not value depth either.

For example, Chi has 5 starters yet still drafted Daniels in the 2nd rd. We didn't even have 5 competent starters on our roster.

O'Neal is our highest drafted olineman and he was at the tail end of the 2nd rd.

Oh, can't forget that key FA aquisition of highly sought after Tom Compton last year.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2973
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 5:48:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

FA olineman are not only scarce but extremely expensive.

We should have been drafting oline early and often for the last 5 years.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2974
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2019 6:35:45 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

FA olineman are not only scarce but extremely expensive.

We should have been drafting oline early and often for the last 5 years.

Amen! That's why this is the year to attack the problem in the draft. We are set up on defense. Go get one FA guard, sign Easton to a vet minimum then draft:

1st - Greg Little - T
2nd- Chris Lindstrom - G
3rd - TJ Hockenson - TE

Then address DT and LB.

Then win the f'n Superbowl!

Post #: 2975
Page:   <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode