Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  119 120 [121] 122 123   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/6/2019 12:43:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Athletic G's that can pull and block in space are vital to a zone blocking scheme.

According to Reiff's bio he is athletic and can get to the second level but has little to no exp playing the G position.

Not saying he couldn't make the switch. But could also well be Round peg meet Square hole.

There has been nothing in Reiff's play here that indicates that his athleticism is anything special. In fact he regularly gets eaten alive by players who are athletic.

Actually in 2017 he was really good but as injuries pile up he is having trouble staying healthy and 2018 wasn't near as good.

The point is that he does not fit the description of athletic. Even before injuries, he wan't real mobile and still has a lot of trouble with speed rushers because of it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3001
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/6/2019 12:43:47 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

Moving Reiff inside might be even stupider than moving Remmers inside.

I hope they are not seriously thinking about this

Guards all over the league will soon be looking at and reading the tombstones of Remmers and Reiff:

THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS:

"Where Tackles Go To Die As Guards"

Well played.

Kind of a play on the old adage "Where Chicago WRs go to continue to suck, but at higher pay"

At least we stopped picking them up.

Well done JT2. You’ve just guaranteed we are signing Kevin White - a bigger bust - this off season to replace Treadwell.
Post #: 3002
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/6/2019 1:17:36 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Athletic G's that can pull and block in space are vital to a zone blocking scheme.

According to Reiff's bio he is athletic and can get to the second level but has little to no exp playing the G position.

Not saying he couldn't make the switch. But could also well be Round peg meet Square hole.

There has been nothing in Reiff's play here that indicates that his athleticism is anything special. In fact he regularly gets eaten alive by players who are athletic.

Actually in 2017 he was really good but as injuries pile up he is having trouble staying healthy and 2018 wasn't near as good.

The point is that he does not fit the description of athletic. Even before injuries, he wan't real mobile and still has a lot of trouble with speed rushers because of it.

Did you know his rookie year, Reiff played some TE for DET?

He is not the most athletic LT but he has decent athleticism and has always blocked well in space. Outside of playing with a foot injury in 2018, he’s been a solid player who has shown flexibility and the willingness to move spots.

It would be a dumb move to put him inside IMO but I could see the team discussing their options with him - Which speaks more to their confidence in O’Neill and maybe an expectation that he will shift to the left side.
Post #: 3003
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/6/2019 2:57:44 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

FA olineman are not only scarce but extremely expensive.

We should have been drafting oline early and often for the last 5 years.

Amen! That's why this is the year to attack the problem in the draft. We are set up on defense. Go get one FA guard, sign Easton to a vet minimum then draft:

1st - Greg Little - T
2nd- Chris Lindstrom - G
3rd - TJ Hockenson - TE

Then address DT and LB.

Then win the f'n Superbowl!

Sign me up. I posted FA Guard list right after our embarrassing lost to the Bears (the second one). If Saffold resigns with the Rams, he wants to and the team has indicated they want him back - caveat with their salary cap situation they might not be able to, then FA G options aren't very good (pending any veteran cuts).

Best options to me, sign an upgrade at center. That FA seemed much younger, better, and cheaper (the last item is debatable https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/ there appears to me very little difference between guard and center. There are two guards worth trading for. The RFA of the NE Pats, who has been excellent filling in for injury (name starts with a K). And Sitton, where the Dolphins appear to be in tanking mode to get the best QB of 2020 or 2021. I would kick the tires on either to see if they would accept a 2020 pick (hopefully in the 5th-2nd range - I'd be willing to give a higher pick if MIA would pick up some/half/most of Sitton's salary).

In a vacuum. I'd sign a center, trade for a guard - one of the two options listed above, draft a guard in one of the first two rounds. If it's within range of value at 18 or 50 - so bet it, if it can happen with a trade back even better. I'd jettison Compton/Jones/Remmers. I'd see what Easton is willing to accept, I wouldn't pay him more than a 2M prove it contract. If a developmental tackle is available in the draft round 3 or so, I might take him. I personally think A Collins, should be groomed as a swing tackle with the goal of him taking over the RT spot. Let OTAs and Training camp decide our interior lineup.

I don't know how feasible any component of this is. If they sign/or let go either of Barr/Richardson and don't think they have the inhouse horses, then that alters plans a lot of this. If players I expect to restructure like Griffen, aren't willing to, it has a huge impact.

But that's the framework I'd be looking at. But leaving no-stone unturned.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to make the move for Paradis as some posters have suggested, and kick Elf out to Guard where he was successful in college. Better to pay for an excellent center than an average Guard. Then sign Easton to a vet minimum, assuming he's healthy. It's a move I could realistically see Spielman pull off. Dump Remmers and salary wise it would be close to a push, maybe cost the team a few million bucks more per year. After the draft, we could very realistically go into next year with a line that looks something like:

Reiff - Little(r)
Lindstrom(r) - Easton
Paradis - Elflein
Elflein - Remmers
O'Neill - Hill - Collins

With Dennison and Kubiak taking over, I'd actually feel cautiously optimistic that our line would be above average to good.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 3004
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/6/2019 7:49:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

FA olineman are not only scarce but extremely expensive.

We should have been drafting oline early and often for the last 5 years.

Amen! That's why this is the year to attack the problem in the draft. We are set up on defense. Go get one FA guard, sign Easton to a vet minimum then draft:

1st - Greg Little - T
2nd- Chris Lindstrom - G
3rd - TJ Hockenson - TE

Then address DT and LB.

Then win the f'n Superbowl!

Sign me up. I posted FA Guard list right after our embarrassing lost to the Bears (the second one). If Saffold resigns with the Rams, he wants to and the team has indicated they want him back - caveat with their salary cap situation they might not be able to, then FA G options aren't very good (pending any veteran cuts).

Best options to me, sign an upgrade at center. That FA seemed much younger, better, and cheaper (the last item is debatable https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/ there appears to me very little difference between guard and center. There are two guards worth trading for. The RFA of the NE Pats, who has been excellent filling in for injury (name starts with a K). And Sitton, where the Dolphins appear to be in tanking mode to get the best QB of 2020 or 2021. I would kick the tires on either to see if they would accept a 2020 pick (hopefully in the 5th-2nd range - I'd be willing to give a higher pick if MIA would pick up some/half/most of Sitton's salary).

In a vacuum. I'd sign a center, trade for a guard - one of the two options listed above, draft a guard in one of the first two rounds. If it's within range of value at 18 or 50 - so bet it, if it can happen with a trade back even better. I'd jettison Compton/Jones/Remmers. I'd see what Easton is willing to accept, I wouldn't pay him more than a 2M prove it contract. If a developmental tackle is available in the draft round 3 or so, I might take him. I personally think A Collins, should be groomed as a swing tackle with the goal of him taking over the RT spot. Let OTAs and Training camp decide our interior lineup.

I don't know how feasible any component of this is. If they sign/or let go either of Barr/Richardson and don't think they have the inhouse horses, then that alters plans a lot of this. If players I expect to restructure like Griffen, aren't willing to, it has a huge impact.

But that's the framework I'd be looking at. But leaving no-stone unturned.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to make the move for Paradis as some posters have suggested, and kick Elf out to Guard where he was successful in college. Better to pay for an excellent center than an average Guard. Then sign Easton to a vet minimum, assuming he's healthy. It's a move I could realistically see Spielman pull off. Dump Remmers and salary wise it would be close to a push, maybe cost the team a few million bucks more per year. After the draft, we could very realistically go into next year with a line that looks something like:

Reiff - Little(r)
Lindstrom(r) - Easton
Paradis - Elflein
Elflein - Remmers
O'Neill - Hill - Collins

With Dennison and Kubiak taking over, I'd actually feel cautiously optimistic that our line would be above average to good.

Us gall bladder gnawers think pretty similar sometimes.

I wouldn't count on Remmers at all as Guard. After his performance last year I'd rather poke my eye out with a fork. Nor do I have confidence in Easton to bounce back from a neck injury. If he does, great, additional talent.

It's why I advocate looking at Sitton or the NE RFA back up as trade options.

I wouldn't post about the oline until the regular season if we had:

Center: FA/ELF
LG: Sitton or NE guy/ Draft Pick
RG: ELF/IZZY/Draft Pick
LT Reiff/Swing back up (hill/Collins)
RT ONeil/Swing back (hill/collins).

Even with that, we still don't have an oline coach to turn individual players into a unit. But with some combination of above moves, I'd feel somewhat confident that the coach had something more than chicken sh** to work with.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3005
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/6/2019 9:13:46 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I was not very gracious to the Patriot fans I know for their teams Super Bowl victory. They were shocked and said that I'm a better person than that. Perhaps I am, or perhaps I'm not. I feel a lot of resentment that I have not been able to experience the euphoria of a championship. It was pointed out that I experienced the Twins World Series victory, but you know in 1991 I was out of the country and was unable to catch a single game. (I did watch the '87 Series, though, but you know that was 32 years ago.) That was before I moved back to Minnesota in 1992. Maybe I brought bad luck to the Minnesota teams. That makes me very bad.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3006
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/6/2019 10:59:33 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I was not very gracious to the Patriot fans I know for their teams Super Bowl victory. They were shocked and said that I'm a better person than that. Perhaps I am, or perhaps I'm not. I feel a lot of resentment that I have not been able to experience the euphoria of a championship. It was pointed out that I experienced the Twins World Series victory, but you know in 1991 I was out of the country and was unable to catch a single game. (I did watch the '87 Series, though, but you know that was 32 years ago.) That was before I moved back to Minnesota in 1992. Maybe I brought bad luck to the Minnesota teams. That makes me very bad.

We don't judge Bruce. We empathize buddy. Our day will come. I was lucky enough to be sitting in the left field seats of game six of the 87 series. Between Don Baylor 3-run shot to tie it and Herbie's 4 run dinger. I was 11 and almost popped my ear drums. It was glorious.

It makes my experience as a Vikes fan more painful. To know the euphoria, and believe in the team each in 98,09, and 17, and to have my intestines pulled out through my urethra. 98 was gut wrenching I was an emotional wreck for days. 09 I still wasn't over 98 and like a jilted girlfriend allowed my cynicism to wrap me in a protective cocoon. I was fine the next day. But lo and behold watching the Eagles bumble their way past the Falcons, winning by a fluke, the Vikes made me believe like I did in 98. Tho 17 was much more generous. It didn't wait 58 minutes to sever my carotid and let me bleed out, it ended all hope quickly. I went into a waking coma for 3 days and was in a foul mood for another week before righting the ship.

Each of us on here, except CPAMAN (he is the despair vampire), has as much resentment as you. We feel you buddy.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3007
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 6:21:43 AM   
Lynn G.

Well put Pager. We all know the bleakness of having hopes dashed year after year after year.

And I don't think we owe Patriots fans a single dang thing. They are experiencing a high that is rarely felt in the sports world - why do they need anything from us? Why do they expect congratulations from us? THEY should be the gracious ones with their bounty of amazing luck. The fans haven't done a single thing to earn the joy they are feeling, so why is it OUR job to pump them up further?

Bruce - I say don't feel a bit bad for not giving the Patriots fans what they were apparently expecting. It's like being in the presence of a millionaire who just won an additional million dollars on a gameshow and not congratulating him for that extra pile of money in his bank account. He already had more money than he can spend - why would we be excited for him for getting more?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 3008
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 8:03:32 AM   
Tom Sykes

Thats right. You have what we want ... so enjoy it while it lasts ... which won’t be long now that we’re moving Reiff to Guard.
Post #: 3009
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 8:13:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

Paying Reiff 11.7ml to play G

We have zero leverage to restructure

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3010
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 8:53:55 AM   
David F.

quote:

Osemile costs less than that.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3011
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 9:07:00 AM   
jbusse

https://twitter.com/PFF_Zoltan/status/1092896475036745728

Jared Goff's PFF grade when the Patriots did not disguise their coverage: 66.0

His PFF grade when the Patriots went from split safety to single high or vice versa post-snap: 29.4
----

Too bad Zimmer didn't have a better approach to stop the Rams, but I guess it's easier when there's more tape. Plus Goff seemed razor sharp against the Vikes; not so much against the Patriots.
Post #: 3012
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 9:15:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

One thing the FO has to decide about Remmers---they are trying to keep him as a swing tackle guard even if he isn't as good at guard.......do you cut Remmers and hope that Collins and Hill can cover if there are injuries at OT? Injuries have been an equal problem to FA and drafting.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3013
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 9:19:11 AM   
jbusse

Interesting article about play-action:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/2/1/18206319/rams-sean-mcvay-play-action-history-bill-walsh-mike-shanahan

Hope to see more play-action next year. This past season, Vikes ran play-action on 20% of their plays, ranking 24th in the league:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/2018/rotopass-play-action-offense-charting

In 2017, Vikes ran play-action more than anyone:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-play-action-offense
Post #: 3014
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 9:27:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

Right now who the Vikes have signed for 2019 (not sure of the future reserve contracts):
Collins
Isidora
Reiff
Remmers
Bisnowaty T
O'Neil
Elflein

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3015
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 9:46:09 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Can we get a better definition of "not very gracious"?
Post #: 3016
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 1:40:34 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/2/1/18206319/rams-sean-mcvay-play-action-history-bill-walsh-mike-shanahan

Hope to see more play-action next year. This past season, Vikes ran play-action on 20% of their plays, ranking 24th in the league:

That is the OC either not having a clue about what their QBs biggest strengths are or stubbornly not caring and expecting players to conform to their playbook. Square peg round hole philosophy doesn't work.

One Caveat though, you have to be able to establish a running game for play action to work. and with our Oline that really didn't happen. I do think Zimmer understood that the running game set up the play action and that Cousins is very good at play action. That may have been a big part of the disconnect with Flip.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3017
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 2:33:06 PM   
David F.

quote:

His PFF grade when the Patriots went from split safety to single high or vice versa post-snap: 29.4
----

Too bad Zimmer didn't have a better approach to stop the Rams, but I guess it's easier when there's more tape. Plus Goff seemed razor sharp against the Vikes; not so much against the Patriots.

Coming into the game McVay already knew of a few situations he could exploit our coverage. They were one step ahead of us from the get-go. Same with the Eagles in the NFCCG. They knew that just by pointing at certain linebackers they could get the Vikes to react pre-snap in a predictable way that they then exploited.

Zimmer can will continue to beat poor to average teams with the superior talent and technique he has on his defense - but the good teams and smart coaches will always be too far ahead of him.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3018
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 3:00:53 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

----

Coming into the game McVay already knew of a few situations he could exploit our coverage. They were one step ahead of us from the get-go. Same with the Eagles in the NFCCG. They knew that just by pointing at certain linebackers they could get the Vikes to react pre-snap in a predictable way that they then exploited.

Zimmer can will continue to beat poor to average teams with the superior talent and technique he has on his defense - but the good teams and smart coaches will always be too far ahead of him.

On the bright side, we exploited the Rams' defense and Tom Brady couldn't.
Post #: 3019
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 3:16:01 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

----

We were so close - just needed to hold them to 30 points or less and we'd have made the playoffs.

Post #: 3020
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 3:36:35 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

----

We were so close - just needed to hold them to 30 points or less and we'd have made the playoffs.

Imagine if we hadn't been embarrassed by Buffalo the Sunday before the Rams game...

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3021
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 3:38:38 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Tom Pelissero was just on the radio suggesting that he might be a better fit for the RT position. I personally believe that Remmers is better at tackle, too. I don't know if he would take a pay cut to be a backup or if we should just cut him. I am game to the idea of drafting a LT in the first round and letting him compete with O'Neil. That doesn't fix the guard positions, but that is supposed to be an easier position to fill. Perhaps we can take care of that in the second round or by free agency. Pelissero seemed to think that Elflein will bounce back nicely this upcoming season.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3022
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 3:39:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

The crazy thing about that is that Cousins is supposed to be elite with the play action.

Post #: 3023
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 3:42:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Can we get a better definition of "not very gracious"?

Among other things, I compared a Patriot celebrating in front me to a rapist celebrating before his victim- because his joy is at the expense at the one who is suffering. Pretty extreme, right?

Post #: 3024
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2019 5:06:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Well put Pager. We all know the bleakness of having hopes dashed year after year after year.

And I don't think we owe Patriots fans a single dang thing. They are experiencing a high that is rarely felt in the sports world - why do they need anything from us? Why do they expect congratulations from us? THEY should be the gracious ones with their bounty of amazing luck. The fans haven't done a single thing to earn the joy they are feeling, so why is it OUR job to pump them up further?

Bruce - I say don't feel a bit bad for not giving the Patriots fans what they were apparently expecting. It's like being in the presence of a millionaire who just won an additional million dollars on a gameshow and not congratulating him for that extra pile of money in his bank account. He already had more money than he can spend - why would we be excited for him for getting more?

Extremely well stated Lynn.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3025
Page:   <<   < prev  119 120 [121] 122 123   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  119 120 [121] 122 123   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode