Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 12:08:46 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Irv Smith averaged over 16 yards per catch and scored 7 TD's last year. He is going to be dynamic for us, too. At least, that's the plan. I realize he's a very young rookie.

He lined up as both a FB and H Back, as well as lining up in multiple spots along the line of scrimmage in college. He could really help make our offense less predictable if we are able utilize him like that.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 4426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 12:39:19 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Morgan is in to block and he's good at that. How many plays is he even in the game?

According to this article, the Vikings rushed nearly twice as much when Morgan played in the game. Football is still a team game and you can't just go by individual stats. Also, I do believe the team wants to be more committed to the running game this year to support Cousins better.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2018-vikings-position-recap-tight-ends

Yes Bruce, I understand that Morgan has always been a primary blocking TE and he is very good at it. However, 12 personnel requires both TEs to be receiving threats. Morgan has demonstrated no ability at this.

Blocking notwithstanding, it's interesting that Morgan is the only player on field slower than Rudolph ... yet some posters want to get rid of Rudolph (because he's slow) and want Morgan to be more involved in the passing game.

OK.

I don't think it's a certainty that Morgan is slower than Rudolph. Rudy's last measured time in the 40 was from 2011. Morgan was quicker in the cone drills as well for whatever that counts for. At any rate no one is advocating for Morgan to replace Rudolph. Speaking just for myself I'd say that I'd like to see Smith/Conklin replace Rudolph as they are both faster than him and might actually break a tackle once in a while. I'd also like to see Morgan targeted once or twice per game to keep defenses honest.

I think it counts for a lot.

If you have 2 guys that aren't fast, I'll take the one with some more "wiggle" to his game. If we throw a 5 yard pass to either guy on 3rd and 7, I think Morgan has a better chance of getting the extra 2 yards.

Especially since he's already done it. Morgan has looked good to me in limited viewing at getting separation in space close to the line, catching the ball, and occasionally actually doing something after the catch. Even if he's 80% of Rudy as a receiver (and I think he's better than that), he's way more than 120% better as a blocker, which we are looking to have our TE's doing at least 50% of the time in Zimmer's mind. Smith + Morgan give more versatility to the offense than Smith + Rudy.
Post #: 4427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 12:59:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Irv Smith averaged over 16 yards per catch and scored 7 TD's last year. He is going to be dynamic for us, too. At least, that's the plan. I realize he's a very young rookie.

That would be great. but it is my understanding that Rookie TEs have a terrible track record of production. Rudolph is almost certain to be the more productive of the two starting TEs.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 1:01:48 PM   
kwheats

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

He lined up as both a FB and H Back, as well as lining up in multiple spots along the line of scrimmage in college. He could really help make our offense less predictable if we are able utilize him like that.

Good point Murph, Hope he can do that for the Vikes!!!
Post #: 4429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 1:02:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Morgan is in to block and he's good at that. How many plays is he even in the game?

According to this article, the Vikings rushed nearly twice as much when Morgan played in the game. Football is still a team game and you can't just go by individual stats. Also, I do believe the team wants to be more committed to the running game this year to support Cousins better.

Yes Bruce, I understand that Morgan has always been a primary blocking TE and he is very good at it. However, 12 personnel requires both TEs to be receiving threats. Morgan has demonstrated no ability at this.

Blocking notwithstanding, it's interesting that Morgan is the only player on field slower than Rudolph ... yet some posters want to get rid of Rudolph (because he's slow) and want Morgan to be more involved in the passing game.

OK.

I don't think it's a certainty that Morgan is slower than Rudolph. Rudy's last measured time in the 40 was from 2011. Morgan was quicker in the cone drills as well for whatever that counts for. At any rate no one is advocating for Morgan to replace Rudolph. Speaking just for myself I'd say that I'd like to see Smith/Conklin replace Rudolph as they are both faster than him and might actually break a tackle once in a while. I'd also like to see Morgan targeted once or twice per game to keep defenses honest.

If you have 2 guys that aren't fast, I'll take the one with some more "wiggle" to his game. If we throw a 5 yard pass to either guy on 3rd and 7, I think Morgan has a better chance of getting the extra 2 yards.

Especially since he's already done it. Morgan has looked good to me in limited viewing at getting separation in space close to the line, catching the ball, and occasionally actually doing something after the catch. Even if he's 80% of Rudy as a receiver (and I think he's better than that), he's way more than 120% better as a blocker, which we are looking to have our TE's doing at least 50% of the time in Zimmer's mind. Smith + Morgan give more versatility to the offense than Smith + Rudy.

Morgan has caught 15 passes I think over his three seasons. Yep he's going to be a monster in receiving production.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 1:04:23 PM   
kgdabom

You all are welcome to continue debating but odds are at least 90% that Rudolph will be here all year and be by far the primary receiving TE. This is a good thing. It would be great if the other Three TEs who totaled 12 NFL receptions last year can be really productive also.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 1:40:59 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

That would be great. but it is my understanding that Rookie TEs have a terrible track record of production. Rudolph is almost certain to be the more productive of the two starting TEs.

I will grant you this. Smith is a developing player with a potential high upside. Still, we don't know how he will do, especially as a rookie.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 1:56:11 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

You all are welcome to continue debating but odds are at least 90% that Rudolph will be here all year and be by far the primary receiving TE. This is a good thing. It would be great if the other Three TEs who totaled 12 NFL receptions last year can be really productive also.

rudolph will be a vikings' player in 2019...morgan is a blocker and a 'surprise' receiver a couple of times a year...i've been rewatching some games from last season, condensed, and rudy is still pretty good, and i think it would be a mistake to let him go...also, smith will most likely be attracting the quicker defensive player in coverage, so that improves rudy a little more....

what is standard defense played against a 12 personnel formation?...nickel?....

again, let's extend waynes and lower his cap to $6m for a couple of seasons....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 2:45:37 PM   
Pager

Waynes is gonna cost at least 10M. Deferring salary is a dangerous game, it always catches up with you. And dead cap kills teams (look at how much bills were carrying in dead cap either last yr or yr before).

If you do give Waynes 10M, you'll have 3 on the D Line, 2 linebackers, and 3 out of 4 DBs all making more than 10M. That's not sustainable. Pls we gotta sign Harris if we cant to keep him Last yr as restricted FA.

If you resign MAC (my preference - slot corners make 7-9M). You still have Mac, Hughes, Hill, and Rhodes.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 2:55:59 PM   
marty

Most underrated by the TalkVikes message board: Kyle Sloter.

Fixed it for you, someone had the last name wrong.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:00:22 PM   
marty

There are many that just don't see it coming.

Kubiak was brought in with the intention to help Cousins, but the unintended consequence is everything falls in place for Kurt Warner, I mean, Kyle Sloter.

Maybe you want to keep Rudy, Kyle to Kyle

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:07:26 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Waynes is gonna cost at least 10M. Deferring salary is a dangerous game, it always catches up with you. And dead cap kills teams (look at how much bills were carrying in dead cap either last yr or yr before).

If you do give Waynes 10M, you'll have 3 on the D Line, 2 linebackers, and 3 out of 4 DBs all making more than 10M. That's not sustainable. Pls we gotta sign Harris if we cant to keep him Last yr as restricted FA.

If you resign MAC (my preference - slot corners make 7-9M). You still have Mac, Hughes, Hill, and Rhodes.

I see it like we defer Waynes for two years and then Rhodes leaves when Waynes cap hit jumps...Hughes fills mac’s spot....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:08:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Who would be your choice for breaking out?

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Vikings-2019-breakout-players-132080171/Amp/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:12:27 PM   
marty

Right now, I believe, unless the Vikes can harness the "You like that ? ", Kirk Cousins, there is a better chance the Vikes win the SB with Kyle Sloter at QB.

Since Sloter is a bench player, and Cousins is a starter signed for big money, anyone willing to give me 10-1 odds on this:

A) Cousins leads the Vikings to a SB win in the next 8 years, you will recieve $100.

B) Kyle Sloter leads the Vikings to a SB win in the next 8 years, you pay me $1000.

It would have to be with the Vikings. Anyone interested ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:24:38 PM   
marty

Is it possible the Vikes trade or cut Rudy, in order to sign Jordan Reed, after the Redskins cut him ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:53:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I have a confession. I never heard of Jordan Reed. I guess I haven't been watching much Redskins football. So I accessed this:

https://youtu.be/rbFxZJm-ZE0

I couldn't believe my eyes. It was video where the tight end was avoiding tackles. Imagine that!

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/17/2019 3:56:21 PM >

Post #: 4441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:55:45 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Last I checked only 11 personal were allowed on the field.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 3:59:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

That's what they all it when there are two tight ends in the formation. Maybe you knew that and I missed a joke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personnel_grouping_(gridiron_football)#Numerical_Naming

Post #: 4443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 4:03:33 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

That's what they all it when there are two tight ends in the formation. Maybe you knew that and I missed a joke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personnel_grouping_(gridiron_football)#Numerical_Naming

If that's what their calling it they aren't very imaginative

When I seen that all I could think of was Bard's 12th man in the huddle.

Post #: 4444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 4:05:05 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK.

Morgan has caught 15 passes I think over his three seasons. Yep he's going to be a monster in receiving production.

In Morgan's defense he has been having to stay in and block cuz we have had a shit oline.

Post #: 4445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 4:31:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

So dead cap Kill Bill.
Post #: 4446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 4:38:38 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

So dead cap Kill Bill.

Hey i don't have a dog in this fight

Post #: 4447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 5:56:45 PM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK.

Nobody has advocated that dude. The discussion has been Morgan playing the same role he has now in 2 TE sets. You seem to forget that we drafted a TE in the second round. That's who people figure to get Rudolph's snaps.

I never said posters were calling for replacing Rudolph with Morgan.

I am saying it is comical that some posters are going on and on about dropping Rudy and how his lack of speed, his yards after catch, etc. is holding back the offense.

While pulling for 15-REC-Morgan (whose slower than some of our OL) to get more involved in the passing game.

And thanks for unnecessary draft update.
Post #: 4448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 6:03:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK.

Nobody has advocated that dude. The discussion has been Morgan playing the same role he has now in 2 TE sets. You seem to forget that we drafted a TE in the second round. That's who people figure to get Rudolph's snaps.

I never said posters were calling for replacing Rudolph with Morgan.

I am saying it is comical that some posters are going on and on about dropping Rudy and how his lack of speed, his yards after catch, etc. is holding back the offense.

While pulling for 15-REC-Morgan (whose slower than some of our OL) to get more involved in the passing game.

And thanks for unnecessary draft update.

That's 15 receptions for his 3 year career. Just want to make sure people get that.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/17/2019 6:14:28 PM   
marty

So let Rudy go and sign Jordan Reed, when the time comes ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4450
Page:   <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode