Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 10:58:27 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Justin Gaard @jgkfan
Ask yourself this: What OC would want to come here knowing you're potentially gonna get trashed?

Justin Gaard @jgkfan
The move tomorrow regarding DeFlippo isn't to fire him. It's to apologize and let him run the offense they way he wants.

I agree with both

- never imagined myself turning on Zimmer like this but I have

Just wondering how DeFlip wants to run it?

Fire the whole staff. Send Speilman packing.

And fire the head official who picked up leverage flag. Totally looked like Marty has something with this sway thing. Could that have been challenged?

Penalties are not "challangable"

I've seen where a QB pass was challenged if it was tipped or not. And then the PI call was changed.

I've never seen it, so I can't speak to that example. Maybe whether a pass is tipped or not is reviewable, idk.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 10:59:51 PM   
Todd M

This year's team is a fn embarrassment. Whatever heads have to roll get em rolling.

Boy I hope we squeak into the playoffs (we won't) so we can get immediately kicked.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk!
Post #: 477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:00:49 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

Justin Gaard @jgkfan
Ask yourself this: What OC would want to come here knowing you're potentially gonna get trashed?

Justin Gaard @jgkfan
The move tomorrow regarding DeFlippo isn't to fire him. It's to apologize and let him run the offense they way he wants.

I agree with both

Just wondering how DeFlip wants to run it?

Fire the whole staff. Send Speilman packing.

And fire the head official who picked up leverage flag. Totally looked like Marty has something with this sway thing. Could that have been challenged?

Penalties are not "challangable"

I've seen where a QB pass was challenged if it was tipped or not. And then the PI call was changed.

"Leverage" is oddly considered a judgement call.

The rules expert mumbled something the 1st time and finally had to come clean when pressed on it.

He used his own guys to hurdle the line. Pretty cut and dry.

Now would we have screwed it up after the 15 yard penalty and automatic 1st down? Probably.
Post #: 478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:02:16 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

This year's team is a fn embarrassment. Whatever heads have to roll get em rolling.

Boy I hope we squeak into the playoffs (we won't) so we can get immediately kicked.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk!

Seeing the lost look on Zimmers face sparks confidence as well. Nobody is buying in anymore.
Post #: 479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:02:21 PM   
marty

Mark, more money was on Minnesota, did Seattle get favorable officiating in the 4th quarter, as I suggested they might before the game ?

They sometimes favor the team they want to lose [or not cover the spread] in the 1st half, then favor the team they want to cover in the 2nd half. I don't know, was this the case ?

I didn't get to see the game, was checking the game graphics/plays at CBS sportsline, along with the game day thread.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:03:03 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Ben Leber @nacholeber
Tonight will be an interesting conflict for Flip...he’s being asked to run more but this Seattle Secondary has issues tackling and in coverage. I would hope early runs open up pass game in 2nd half. #Vikings #Seahawks #playoffatmosphere

* getting burned out on hearing this over and over
- be nice if we could run, though ... succesfully
-- "What do you mean, RJ, Cook ran for 9 yds per last game

I'm getting burned out hearing ANY of the speculation on our strategy/gameplanning. It's never as simple as 'run more' or 'set up the pass'. Each game should have it's own game plan designed upon how to exploit their weaknesses with our strengths. That goes for offense, defense, and special teams.

Does our opponent struggle vs the pass? What type of passes? Which players - SPECIFICALLY - can be exploited? Also - let's assume that the opponent ALSO knows their weaknesses and will be preparing to best hide/minimize it. Can we think a step or two ahead and guess what they might do and then look for that on the field and be prepared for some possible scenarios we might see?

What are our strengths? Let's assume the opponent can also identify them. What would they be most likely to do to minimize them?

These are the types of questions I see coaches like Belichick, McVeigh, and now Nagy asking themselves during the week and properly preparing based on their evaluations.

Our guy says things like 'run more', 'I'm over-coaching the defense', and 'the toughest team will win'. I get the feeling that if born earlier Zimmer would have opted to not use the forward pass when that became a thing.

It's like people saying that we need to draft X position in two of the first three rounds or for sure number one when the players available may not remotely warrant it. (Not talking about someone "graded" early second taken late first, etc.) It looks like in the coming offseason, we need to spend significant money on OGs because we need starters and the draft might not even yield players who will be good in year two.

Just watched James Daniels play last night and he looked pretty darn good.

That was my guy in the draft. Hurt to hear him talked up so much last night...
Post #: 481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:04:16 PM   
bohumm

quote:

Justin Gaard @jgkfan

Justin Gaard @jgkfan

I agree with both

I'm getting there.....It takes me awhile.
Post #: 482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:04:43 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Mark, more money was on Minnesota, did Seattle get favorable officiating in the 4th quarter, as I suggested they might before the game ?

They sometimes favor the team they want to lose [or not cover the spread] in the 1st half, then favor the team they want to cover in the 2nd half. I don't know, was this the case ?

I didn't get to see the game, was checking the game graphics/plays at CBS sportsline, along with the game day thread.

Luckily, I was at a high school bb game and only saw the last 8 minutes.
Post #: 483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:19:54 PM   
marty

Are the Vikings playing for Zimmer, like the Packers did in McCarthy's last few games ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:21:35 PM   
bohumm

Bobby Wagner just said that they studied the Vikings and basically knew what was coming the whole night, esp at the beginning....
Post #: 485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:28:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Bobby Wagner just said that they studied the Vikings and basically knew what was coming the whole night, esp at the beginning....

Shades of the Eagles playoff game last year.
Post #: 486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:34:32 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Shades of the Eagles playoff game last year.

I hate it because I like the guy's story, but it seems to come down to Zimmer as the common denominator with all the safe, simple, familiar, tested.....

I just keep thinking of certain things he's said along the way that seemed fine but now through a different lens seem like tells. My current one is saying Gedeon is just a football player and that's why we spent a fourth on him and he's an unquestioned day one rookie starter. He shows up positively on defense like every fourth game---I mean just does one thing noticeably well.
Post #: 487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:44:28 PM   
marty

Looking at the highlights, it is Cousins to blame.

He looks to be a split second BEHIND the defense much of the time, instead of a split second ahead of them. He had a great OL in Washington, and that was still true of his play at crucial times.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:46:08 PM   
marty

The thing that has impressed me about Sloter, is he usually looks to be a step AHEAD of the defense much of the time, not a split second behind.

He just needs to play 10 games as a starter to find out.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:50:07 PM   
Rob Viking

I am really losing confidence in Flip. It's easiest to point fingers at play calling, we've been doing it for Ray Sherman, Linehan, Bevell over the years.

Flip can't seem to follow through on a gameplan, his plays are hit or miss. Of course it all comes back to the OLine, which has made Kirk skittish as well. Tough to pin point on one thing exactly and I'd still be willing to give him another year with a better OLine and a better TE.

We know Rudy is a leader but he couldn't separate at 26, he's like Brandon Lloyd makes some great catches but only because he's never open. It wasn't a good decision by Kirk but Rudy never gave him a target, that throw should have been back shoulder but Rudy can't make a quick move to get that separation anyways.

We have no chance to win on the road in the playoffs. Playoff football is won on 3rd and 4th and very shorts, we must be the worst in the league in those situations.
Post #: 490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:51:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

He looks to be a split second BEHIND the defense much of the time, instead of a split second ahead of them. He had a great OL in Washington, and that was still true of his play at crucial times.

I must have missed when he had a "great OL" in Washington...
Post #: 491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:52:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

I am really losing confidence in Flip. It's easiest to point fingers at play calling, we've been doing it for Ray Sherman, Linehan, Bevell over the years.

Flip can't seem to follow through on a gameplan, his plays are hit or miss. Of course it all comes back to the OLine, which has made Kirk skittish as well. Tough to pin point on one thing exactly and I'd still be willing to give him another year with a better OLine and a better TE.

It feels like the offense has gone more and more downhill the more Zim talks about getting involved with it.
Post #: 492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:53:29 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

Like last season when literally his entire OLine was injured in Washington. Though the Oline was strong in 2015 and 2016.
Post #: 493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2018 11:58:34 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

It feels like the offense has gone more and more downhill the more Zim talks about getting involved with it.

Yes we need to run the ball more and control the game, but we simply don't have the ability. Unfortunately Zim's philosophy simply can't work with this blocking scheme.

Compton is not an NFL player, Remmers is toast, Elf has regressed I believe he's hurt, Reiff is an average LT, O'Neil is ok but inconsistent. Unless you have Peyton Manning who somehow was sacked only 14 times with Charlie Johnson as is LT or a Brady or Rodgers you can't function consistently.
Post #: 494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 12:02:29 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

Can't believe that flag was picked up on the blocked FG, that was too obvious. The PI on Rhodes as well since the ball landed 5 yds OOB.
Post #: 495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 12:02:50 AM   
marty

Compton is not an NFL player, Remmers is toast, Elf has regressed I believe he's hurt, Reiff is an average LT, O'Neil is ok but inconsistent. Unless you have Peyton Manning who somehow was sacked only 14 times with Charlie Johnson as is LT or a Brady or Rodgers you can't function consistently.

That's why Sloter should start.

Sloter, with experience, would make the OL look great by making quicker decisions.

< Message edited by marty -- 12/11/2018 12:05:01 AM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 12:13:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Just watched some of the crucial plays(DVR).

Thielen wide open in EZ as Cousins forces it to double covered Rudy(and the OLine held up for once and he had plenty of time and rushed it).

Cousins double clutches to wide open Thielen and lets CB get back into play right before blocked FG.
Post #: 497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 12:18:00 AM   
Rob Viking

People want to pile on Zim and fair enough he deserves some heat. There's nothing wrong with playing complimentary football and wanting to control the clock. With the OLine the way it is nothing wrong with getting to 3rd and short and trying to make a big play off of it. Unfortunately the OLine is getting overwhelmed every time in those crucial situations. At this point there's no confidence we can get a push up front so it's trickery or hope the opposition misses a gap assignment and unfortunately there aren't many gaps in short yardage. The loss of Sparano has been huge.

Still there was a chance in this game, Kendricks could have possibly gone all the way with that pick had he corralled it cleanly. Cook was close to breaking one, the RZ fiasco.
Post #: 498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 12:22:57 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

Just watched some of the crucial plays(DVR).

Thielen wide open in EZ as Cousins forces it to double covered Rudy(and the OLine held up for once and he had plenty of time and rushed it).

Cousins double clutches to wide open Thielen and lets CB get back into play right before blocked FG.

Right on, let's throw to a guy who's covered 90% of time vs a guy who is open 90% of the time in the same area.
Post #: 499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 12:23:26 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Haven't we passed more than just about any team in the league?

Does Zimmer mouthing off in Press make DeFlip use bad pass plays because he thinks he is supposed to run the ball?

DeFlip might turn out to be a genius but I think he thought he could run a Philly style offense with this poor offensive line and that isn't the case.
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode