Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 8:18:13 AM   
marty

It's a good thing it's not 18 game schedule, or the Vikes might finish 6-6-6.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 526
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 8:22:00 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

As much as I would like to see Zimm and Speilman gone I think they probably get one more year to make it work.

The offense is getting worse each week.

Next year they turn it around or I think they are looking at a total rebuild.

At that point the defense will be over paid and the offense still crappy.

Next season Zimm and Speilman have their jobs on the line.

Minnesota pro sports is a tough one for fans.

Agree 100%. The Vikings are one year removed from playing in the NFCCC. No way Zim and RS get canned after this year, regardless of the teams collapse. If they don't show marked improvement and make a deep playoff run next year, they need to be shown the door. Spielman in particular needs to be held accountable. Heck, if he doesn't sign 2 FA guards and draft 2 more offensive lineman with high draft picks next year, I'd fire him before the season started.

This feels like the realistic way it would/should go. Good take.
Post #: 527
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 8:30:27 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

As much as I would like to see Zimm and Speilman gone I think they probably get one more year to make it work.

Agree 100%. The Vikings are one year removed from playing in the NFCCC. No way Zim and RS get canned after this year, regardless of the teams collapse. If they don't show marked improvement and make a deep playoff run next year, they need to be shown the door. Spielman in particular needs to be held accountable. Heck, if he doesn't sign 2 FA guards and draft 2 more offensive lineman with high draft picks next year, I'd fire him before the season started.

We could literally (and some did!) say that a year ago.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 528
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 8:38:30 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

We could literally (and some did!) say that a year ago.

If they dont make the playoffs this year with this roster what's the point right?

I know the line needs upgraded in a big way but not making the playoffs is inexcusable imo.

I guess we better get all pros at every position so Zimmer can succeed. Even then something tells me we would find a way to lose.

In short make the playoffs at the very least this season, which they can still do.
Post #: 529
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 8:40:04 AM   
ronhextall

I agree, I want blood and you could probably fire a Speilman and not disrupt the team but I doubt there is much of a point besides satisfying me being pissed off.

I hope Wilfs have a come to Jesus meeting with Zimm and Speilman and make it clear that next year better be a heck of a lot different or it’s over for both of them.

You have to do whatever is necessary to improve the OL, even if that means over paying, over drafting, and trading away some of Zimmer’s gold nuggets on defense. Pretty obvious how far an execellent defense takes you in this league and it isn’t very far.

Personally I think Zimmer is Buddy Ryan or Jeff Fisher. He gets one year to hopefully prove me wrong.

Would love to see a Super Bowl win before I am gone. It would be very special for my son and I to experience it together.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 12/11/2018 8:46:19 AM >
Post #: 530
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 8:56:20 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

I agree, I want blood and you could probably fire a Speilman and not disrupt the team but I doubt there is much of a point besides satisfying me being pissed off.

I hope Wilfs have a come to Jesus meeting with Zimm and Speilman and make it clear that next year better be a heck of a lot different or it’s over for both of them.

You have to do whatever is necessary to improve the OL, even if that means over paying, over drafting, and trading away some of Zimmer’s gold nuggets on defense. Pretty obvious how far an execellent defense takes you in this league and it isn’t very far.

Personally I think Zimmer is Buddy Ryan or Jeff Fisher. He gets one year to hopefully prove me wrong.

Would love to see a Super Bowl win before I am gone. It would be very special for my son and I to experience it together.

At the beginning of the year a lot of us voiced our displeasure with the fact that Spielman did not sufficiently address the oline, our one known area of weakness. Some folks argued that drafting a guy in the 2nd round and the 6th round was enough, and that we didn't want to "reach" for an olineman. After Randy Moss's rookie season the Packers drafted 3 cornerbacks. They didn't care if they reached for a player or they were ranked high enough by the pundits, they knew that they needed to address the problem and the more guys they had on their team the better the odds of finding studs who could play. Spielman needs to take this approach with the oline next year. We need 4 new guys minimum. 2 FA guards, 1 guard in the draft and one tackle within the first 3 rounds. If we need to weaken our D to achieve this, so be it.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 531
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:05:57 AM   
Karl Juhnke

The O line has consistently sucked for Zimmer's entire time here. The slip in record this year isn't surprising. The surprise was over achieving last year. This is who we are. A fringe team struggling to sneak in as a wild card in a mediocre conference.

If they don't draft oline #1 and another one in the next two picks, and sign a big free agent lineman, don't expect any change soon.

This is who we are.
Post #: 532
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:13:43 AM   
Ragnarök

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/1072304120286142464/photo/1

Do you see what I see?

Sure didnt feel like the Vikes are going to give us anything in our stockings but a lump of coal...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 12/11/2018 9:17:39 AM >
Post #: 533
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:16:42 AM   
ronhextall

They should back into playoffs. Unless they have a monumental collapse.
Post #: 534
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:24:32 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

They should back into playoffs. Unless they have a monumental collapse.

Yep. The Vikings way...

Post #: 535
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:31:24 AM   
David F.

For next season (yes - I'm there already) we need three O-linemen, two linebackers, and a TE (two TEs if we don't keep Rudolph). That's six spots. It can't be done in one offseason. We can probably fill four of of those spots. Drafting G in round 1 and picking up Ebron in FA last offseason would have made it possible to reload for next season and be a contender again. We have five starting caliber CBs and an all-world S though and that helps our defensive guru head coach maintain his reputation for having great defense. So we've got that. Which is something.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 536
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:39:36 AM   
Lars

My $0.02:

This has been one of the most unenjoyable years of watching the Vikings, and football in general, for me.

I turned the game off at the blocked FG. I'm not sure if I have ever done that before.

We were playing poorly, and a lot of the Xs and Os have been discussed relative to this game and the building of our roster, coaching staff, etc....

But that one play was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Huge momentum and game changing play. The guy uses leverage to block the kick. It's a penalty. It's clear. They threw the flag. Then they picked it up.

And then I said "I'm done." and turned off the TV.

I hate to be such a fatalist about one play LOL, but that was the end of my interest in watching. I'm done for this year, and maybe more. It seems at times that I care more about the game being played at a high level than some players, coaches or officials - and that is a recent phenomenon.

Anyhow, I hope the rest of the year plays out well and the franchise gets on the right track. I will always bleed purple!

SKOL!

<this space for rent>
Post #: 537
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:40:54 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

JUstin Gaard @jgkfan

If you guys can't understand how a Head Coach consistently trashing and second guessing the OC is counter-productive I can't help you.

An example of Zim trashing Flip would be...?

Justin Gaard joins the 'He's(DeFlip) young, he must be great, crowd'

Having said that, Zimmer is just about running on empty. I think he needs a 4 game winning streak to save his job.
Post #: 538
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:46:10 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

For next season (yes - I'm there already) we need three O-linemen, two linebackers, and a TE (two TEs if we don't keep Rudolph). That's six spots. It can't be done in one offseason. We can probably fill four of of those spots. Drafting G in round 1 and picking up Ebron in FA last offseason would have made it possible to reload for next season and be a contender again. We have five starting caliber CBs and an all-world S though and that helps our defensive guru head coach maintain his reputation for having great defense. So we've got that. Which is something.

If we have to choose 4 of 6 spots, they all need to be offense. 3 lineman and a TE minimum. There are a number of TE's slated to be FA's next year including Jared Cook, Delanie Walker and Jesse James. I think we can find an upgrade to Rudolph.

Post #: 539
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:49:29 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

If we have to choose 4 of 6 spots, they all need to be offense. 3 lineman and a TE minimum. There are a number of TE's slated to be FA's next year including Jared Cook, Delanie Walker and Jesse James. I think we can find an upgrade to Rudolph.

I don't see the team parting ways with Rudolph. For reasons I can't figure out he's one of the most popular players with the fans. He keeps turning in game after game of mediocre to poor output but no one seems to notice or care. Last night he caught two balls for seven yards on five targets. A big game for him is like four catches for 33 yards. I don't get it.

Post #: 540
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:49:50 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

At the beginning of the year a lot of us voiced our displeasure with the fact that Spielman did not sufficiently address the oline, our one known area of weakness. Some folks argued that drafting a guy in the 2nd round and the 6th round was enough, and that we didn't want to "reach" for an olineman. After Randy Moss's rookie season the Packers drafted 3 cornerbacks. They didn't care if they reached for a player or they were ranked high enough by the pundits, they knew that they needed to address the problem and the more guys they had on their team the better the odds of finding studs who could play. Spielman needs to take this approach with the oline next year. We need 4 new guys minimum. 2 FA guards, 1 guard in the draft and one tackle within the first 3 rounds. If we need to weaken our D to achieve this, so be it.

Do you know who those guys were? Antuan Edwards a S, Fred Vinson a CB and Mike Mackenzie, only Mackenzie turned out to be a decent pro. Moss not only tortured the Packers on the field he forced them into a bad draft as well.
Post #: 541
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 9:56:24 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

Do you know who those guys were? Antuan Edwards a S, Fred Vinson a CB and Mike Mackenzie, only Mackenzie turned out to be a decent pro. Moss not only tortured the Packers on the field he forced them into a bad draft as well.

The fact that they were lousy talent evaluators is irrelevant. The point is, the Packers recognized a deficiency and did everything they could to address it. We need to do the same, but instead of relying solely on the draft, we need to get known commodities in FA and supplement them with draft picks. 2019 is actually the perfect year to do it as we can free up a lot of salary on guys that are easily replaceable i.e. Remmers, Sendejo, Treadwell, Rudolph, plus Floyd's $4 mil cap space.

Post #: 542
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:03:51 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The fact that they were lousy talent evaluators is irrelevant. The point is, the Packers recognized a deficiency and did everything they could to address it. We need to do the same, but instead of relying solely on the draft, we need to get known commodities in FA and supplement them with draft picks. 2019 is actually the perfect year to do it as we can free up a lot of salary on guys that are easily replaceable i.e. Remmers, Sendejo, Treadwell, Rudolph, plus Floyd's $4 mil cap space.

Also they didn't stop in 1999. The next year they picked up Allen Rossum in FA, the year after that they drafted Jue, in 2002 they used a third-round-pick on a FS that didn't work out, in 2003 they picked up Al Harris and in 2004 they drafted CB with their first two picks getting Ahmad Carrol and another that didn't work out. By this point they had won the NFC North two years in a row.

Post #: 543
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:09:47 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

Well outside of a trade Cousins isn't going anywhere but dang he's playing poor.

Should have been gone two years ago: Mike Priefer, Kyle Rudolph, and Laquon Treadwell.

Should be gone by next season: Compton, Elflein, Remmers

Pick one and toss the other: Zimmer, Flip

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DRAFTING CBs in rounds one and two when our Oline can't block the Golden Girls.

Agreed.

I would toss Zimmer right now and give Flip a shot at the last 3 games.

But Flip's lack of creativity in short yardage (motions, picks, exploiting edges while faking up the middle) have me extremely concerned about him as well.
Post #: 544
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:10:10 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree in addressing a problem and fixing it through the draft and FA or even a trade (especially these days). However my point is you don't make rash decisions like drafting Troy Williamson because you just traded Moss. Part of the issue is coaching guys up and putting them in position to succeed. I can't tell what kind of run plays we are running sometimes because guys are getting blown up. Confidence is extremely low, if it weren't for Diggs and Thielen I wonder where this offense would be.
Post #: 545
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:10:30 AM   
marty

Maybe the Packer lesson is, not just don't draft all 3 rounds based on need, still give consideration to BPA.

And with the OL, it's not just players on the OL. It is:

1) Scheme - offensive playcalling, truly offensive, OC
2) OL coach
3) the QB making quick, good decisions

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 546
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:12:07 AM   
marty

The Bears might lose the last game to the Vikings, so the Bears get the Vikings in the playoffs, instead of the hot Packers.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 547
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:12:34 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Also they didn't stop in 1999. The next year they picked up Allen Rossum in FA, the year after that they drafted Jue, in 2002 they used a third-round-pick on a FS that didn't work out, in 2003 they picked up Al Harris and in 2004 they drafted CB with their first two picks getting Ahmad Carrol and another that didn't work out. By this point they had won the NFC North two years in a row.

Yep, the Packers were set on offense but had a glaring weakness on D on the secondary. We're pretty set on the defensive side of the ball but have a glaring weakness at oline.

Post #: 548
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:13:23 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

The Bears might lose the last game to the Vikings, so the Bears get the Vikings in the playoffs, instead of the hot Packers.

Heck the Lions might overtake us as well.

Post #: 549
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2018 10:17:39 AM   
ronhextall

Pretty obvious drafting DBs and Kickers didn’t help the OL.

Has to be fixed one way or another but ignoring it because you don’t care for the value isn’t acceptable.

Wilfs need to stress it’s their ass next year.
Post #: 550
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode