Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  216 217 [218] 219 220   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 11:06:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

It could still happen to the Vikings. They are on a two year streak of their top draft picks going down early.

I kinda admire someone that laughs and taunts and dares Fate to strike again.

Like Captain Ahab or Khan.

Please stop.

I'm not laughing or taunting anything. I am just uneasy. Not fatalistic, just uneasy.

The good part is that it's almost like getting two first round draft picks this year.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 11:19:49 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

It could still happen to the Vikings. They are on a two year streak of their top draft picks going down early.

Please stop.

I'm not laughing or taunting anything. I am just uneasy. Not fatalistic, just uneasy.

The good part is that it's almost like getting two first round draft picks this year.

Not only will Garrett Bradbury not lose a game to injury this year or any other, but he will enjoy a 14 year career all with the Vikings with 6 all pro seasons and 11 pro bowls. How is that for taunting Fate?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 12:07:30 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please stop.

Not only will Garrett Bradbury not lose a game to injury this year or any other, but he will enjoy a 14 year career all with the Vikings with 6 all pro seasons and 11 pro bowls. How is that for taunting Fate?

Dan Bailey will kick 100% on FGs for the season AND in the playoffs.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 12:41:16 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please stop.

Rest assured that you won't rest assured.
Post #: 5429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 12:50:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Kirk Cousins needs to lead the Vikings to a fourth-quarter win

If you are looking only at individual performances, then Kirk Cousins had the best season of any Vikings quarterback since 2009. However, when taking a closer look at the entire quarterback play for the team a slightly different picture emerges.

Cousins’ quarterback rating of 99.7 last season is just slightly better than the combined rating of 99.1 for Case Keenum and Sam Bradford from 2017. Cousins threw for 4,298 yards in 2018, the most since Brett Favre amassed 4,202 in 2009. However, it is only 179 yards more than the Vikings got from Bradford and Shaun Hill in 2016.

If 2018 was a mere speed bump or a short departure from making the postseason, then Cousins needs to play better in 2019. Sure, his stats were great, but there is the intangible of leading your team to a victory they had no business winning.

In seven seasons, Cousins has 12 game-winning drives, 11 of them after becoming the full-time starter for the Redskins in 2015. None of them came last season.

In two of his three seasons as the starter in Washington, Cousins led the Redskins to four game-winning drives. In 2017 that was good enough to lead the NFL. The other season he did it three times. The same year he had four game-winning drives, he was sacked 41 times for a league-high 342 yards.

So that fact he was under constant pressure last season while being sacked 40 times does not excuse him from winning a game when it counts and lead the Vikings to at least one game-winning drive.

He needs to deliver as he did in Washington, averaging 3.6 game-winning drives in three years as the starter. That is the difference between 8-8 or 9-7 and 11-5 or 12-4.

So Cousins has proven that he can lead a team to 4th quarter wins, yet this guy lays the lack of 4th quarter comeback wins for the Vikes in 2019 entirely at Cousin's feet. I don't suppose a kicker missing chip shot FGs to win games or any other stuff would have anything to do with it.

So much for a "closer look".
Post #: 5430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 1:05:18 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

If you are looking only at individual performances, then Kirk Cousins had the best season of any Vikings quarterback since 2009. However, when taking a closer look at the entire quarterback play for the team a slightly different picture emerges.

Cousins’ quarterback rating of 99.7 last season is just slightly better than the combined rating of 99.1 for Case Keenum and Sam Bradford from 2017. Cousins threw for 4,298 yards in 2018, the most since Brett Favre amassed 4,202 in 2009. However, it is only 179 yards more than the Vikings got from Bradford and Shaun Hill in 2016.

If 2018 was a mere speed bump or a short departure from making the postseason, then Cousins needs to play better in 2019. Sure, his stats were great, but there is the intangible of leading your team to a victory they had no business winning.

In seven seasons, Cousins has 12 game-winning drives, 11 of them after becoming the full-time starter for the Redskins in 2015. None of them came last season.

In two of his three seasons as the starter in Washington, Cousins led the Redskins to four game-winning drives. In 2017 that was good enough to lead the NFL. The other season he did it three times. The same year he had four game-winning drives, he was sacked 41 times for a league-high 342 yards.

So that fact he was under constant pressure last season while being sacked 40 times does not excuse him from winning a game when it counts and lead the Vikings to at least one game-winning drive.

He needs to deliver as he did in Washington, averaging 3.6 game-winning drives in three years as the starter. That is the difference between 8-8 or 9-7 and 11-5 or 12-4.

So Cousins has proven that he can lead a team to 4th quarter wins, yet this guy lays the lack of 4th quarter comeback wins for the Vikes in 2019 entirely at Cousin's feet. I don't suppose a kicker missing chip shot FGs to win games or any other stuff would have anything to do with it.

Cousins certainly did his job in the GB game where Carlson laid a golden egg 3 times.

Were there any other games Cousins brought us back but kicking game lost it?

I'm drawing a blank.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 1:17:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins certainly did his job in the GB game where Carlson laid a golden egg 3 times.

I'm drawing a blank.

Point being Cousins is not a one man team. No one is. I remember the days when Culpepper would bring us back multiple times in the 4th quarter, and our sieve defense would just give the lead/game back. This was enough ammo for many though "Culpepper's a front runner" blah blah blah.
Post #: 5432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 1:31:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm drawing a blank.

Point being Cousins is not a one man team. No one is. I remember the days when Culpepper would bring us back multiple times in the 4th quarter, and our sieve defense would just give the lead/game back. This was enough ammo for many though "Culpepper's a front runner" blah blah blah.

Point taken.

In Cousins defense, the oline was the sieve last year.

However, he did seem very indecisive late in the season. Shell shock perhaps.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 3:45:07 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please stop.

Through in Cook who had trouble with soft tissue injury from his rookie year injury and it's like two firsts and a second

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 3:47:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Hopefully a perceived weakness on the team can become a strength. That's very possible.

the only one of the five that i agree with is 'will' linebacker...gedeon is a slow-footed thumper that can be exploited on the edge and in coverage....

My guess that 3LB's on the field doesn't happen too much. Many teams are moving a S down in the box. I forget which playoff game I was watching where they had 2 S's playing LB.

I think the Chargers did it against the Ravens because of LB injury and for additional speed vs Jackson.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 3:54:51 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please stop.

Dan Bailey will kick 100% on FGs for the season AND in the playoffs.

Nope. He's going to miss one against Atlanta in the NFC title game. However, we will win anyway 38-10.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 5:14:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Does anyone subscribe to the Athletica? I do not, so I'm sure there are great articles that I can not share.

Real slow day. I'm happy for the Twins, though.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 5:32:23 PM   
Todd M

Been dreaming about the Vikings taking down the Pats in the SB. We feel elation we only dreamed of and Pats fans are all like mad and shit and looking at Tom Brady and saying 6-4 is okay.

We weren't that far off last year. The TD and 2pt conversion on the road in GB was everything we could have been and should be this year. We just weren't emotionally ready. Pressure, expectations. The emotional derailment of a vet.

We'll be more mature and in the groove this year. Taking care of business and having fun. Looser but dangerous.
Post #: 5438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 3:47:19 AM   
marty

Great article on Barr, Bruce. Thanks.

The only thing I didn't like is the continuation of the mindset that defensive rankings based on yards is more important than points.

I think it should only be points, and if they want to mention rankings based on yardage, mention them as well. But don't mention them based on yardage, without mentioning the rankings based on points.

I may be in the minority on this, but I feel pretty strongly about it.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 8:09:22 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Great article on Barr, Bruce. Thanks.

The only thing I didn't like is the continuation of the mindset that defensive rankings based on yards is more important than points.

I think it should only be points, and if they want to mention rankings based on yardage, mention them as well. But don't mention them based on yardage, without mentioning the rankings based on points.

I may be in the minority on this, but I feel pretty strongly about it.

If it was baseball they'd combine the two and figure in a formula that accounted for the opposing QB's rating.

YPQ
Post #: 5440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 8:40:21 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm drawing a blank.

Point taken.

If you were running for your life as much as he was, you might be shell shocked too. The offensive line needed to improve, which it has. The defense needed to be more consistent. The coaching needed to improve amd the run game needed to be improved. Effective pass plays and run plays needed to be mixed in. A quarterback will not be effective when the defense can just tee off on him, because nothing else is working.
Post #: 5441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 8:57:49 AM   
kgdabom

I just heard about a new policy with the Military academies that will allow all student athletes to defer their service commitments to play professional sports until they are done. Huge news for Austin Cutting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcexCd0maIc

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 9:37:10 AM   
kgdabom

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/memorandum-policy-military-service-academy-reserve-officers-training-corps-graduates-seeking-participate-professional-sports/

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 10:07:53 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm drawing a blank.

Point taken.

If you were running for your life as much as he was, you might be shell shocked too. The offensive line needed to improve, which it has. The defense needed to be more consistent. The coaching needed to improve amd the run game needed to be improved. Effective pass plays and run plays needed to be mixed in. A quarterback will not be effective when the defense can just tee off on him, because nothing else is working.

And in the mean time Cousins has no choice but to keep his mouth shut, keep working and hopefully it'll all pay off soon. And he has as far as I can tell which makes him a pretty decent person in my book.
Post #: 5444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 2:10:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

I just heard about a new policy with the Military academies that will allow all student athletes to defer their service commitments to play professional sports until they are done. Huge news for Austin Cutting.

I can't imagine there are many of their athletes who make it to the next level. It has to be a boost to their recruitment and if one of their own goes on to be a Roger Staubach or something close that would be a real feather in their cap.

Post #: 5445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 2:26:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I just sent a question to Wobby. A good one. I'll let you know when he responds. He always does.

Post #: 5446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 2:32:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I can't imagine there are many of their athletes who make it to the next level. It has to be a boost to their recruitment and if one of their own goes on to be a Roger Staubach or something close that would be a real feather in their cap.

Austin Cuttings is simply a cut above about 95% of long snappers per reports I have heard and film I have watched. His snaps are fast and precise. He even gets the laces to the holder so he doesn't need to spin the ball. Then his coverage on Punts is top notch as well. I would be very surprised if he isn't the long snapper for the Vikings this season.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 3:34:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Bad news for Kevin McDermott.

Post #: 5448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 4:27:56 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Austin Cuttings is simply a cut above about 95% of long snappers per reports I have heard and film I have watched. His snaps are fast and precise. He even gets the laces to the holder so he doesn't need to spin the ball. Then his coverage on Punts is top notch as well. I would be very surprised if he isn't the long snapper for the Vikings this season.

According to you spectacular 7th rounder Cuttings should just turn his rear around, snap and cover.

It sounds a little inappropriate ... exactly which film have you been watching?

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 6/27/2019 4:49:33 PM >
Post #: 5449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/27/2019 5:50:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm drawing a blank.

Point taken.

And in the mean time Cousins has no choice but to keep his mouth shut, keep working and hopefully it'll all pay off soon. And he has as far as I can tell which makes him a pretty decent person in my book.

Absolutely.
Post #: 5450
Page:   <<   < prev  216 217 [218] 219 220   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  216 217 [218] 219 220   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode