Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  214 215 [216] 217 218   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/23/2019 1:31:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/23/18714567/first-two-players-declare-2019-supplemental-draft-shyheim-cullen-marcus-simms

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/23/2019 4:06:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/23/18701082/hercules-mataafa-defensive-tackle-minnesota-vikings

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/23/2019 5:52:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I wanted to read a little more about Conklin because I thought he might be rather new to the tight end position. Apparently he was a walk on at Central Michigan after not doing so well at another college in basketball. He had to initially sit out while focusing on gaining weight for the position. It's also worth noting that he injured himself during the summer and missed some games in his Junior year. He only caught 16 passes before his Senior year.

I just want to say it looks like he is a work in progress, but it's worth noting this:

Conklin performed well at the 2018 NFL Combine and ranked second among all tight ends in the vertical, fourth in the broad jump, fifth in the three-cone drill, and ninth in the 40-yard dash.[7]

He did come on a little bit towards the end of last season. I do believe he might be an under the radar young player who may break out this year. What I like about him is that he is less of a "tell" when he's on the field. He's a willing blocker and pass receiver who doesn't go down after catching the ball.

Post #: 5378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/23/2019 9:20:20 PM   
Pager

I like checking out the competition. Bear fans are pretty confident, but this writer is impressively objective. He's ranking by position group and so far I've agreed with him. I expect Cook to be healthy, another year removed from surgery, and if so, he's the best RB in the division. But until he proves it, I have no qualms with the ranking.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/6/19/18683937/nfl-chicago-bears-nfc-north-roster-comparison-wide-receivers-gabriel-davante-adams-adam-thielen

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 12:07:59 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I like checking out the competition. Bear fans are pretty confident, but this writer is impressively objective. He's ranking by position group and so far I've agreed with him. I expect Cook to be healthy, another year removed from surgery, and if so, he's the best RB in the division. But until he proves it, I have no qualms with the ranking.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2019/6/19/18683937/nfl-chicago-bears-nfc-north-roster-comparison-wide-receivers-gabriel-davante-adams-adam-thielen

I like someone to speak the honest truth when writing. I mean, it's ok for us to dream and let our hopes run wild, but it's still good to be honest. I respect a writer like that.

Post #: 5380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 12:24:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This is a meaty article. A lot to chew here.

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/06/anthony-barr-and-the-changing-landscape-for-linebackers/

Post #: 5381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 4:05:33 AM   
ratoppenheimer

there are several players that have been on the team that are in their final year of their rookie contract...i think we should make team friendly contract offers to the following players and sign the ones the bite on it....

Waynes or Alexander - i really don't have a preference here
Harris - i think we have to let harris go after 2019...draft a safety in the 2nd/3rd round 2020
Morgan - we should be able to draft blocking te in the 5th - we drafted morgan in the 6th
Weatherly - sign him...$20m/5yrs...$10m signing bonus and keep his cap hit down first couple years
Kearse - what is he worth?...nobody really knows...it could be minimum wage as a special teams ace

this group is in their final year and should be let go for rookies...it'll also save us about $500k for the year

Brothers - too slow
Bowers - too slow
Ham - replaceable...i don't think we should keep a fb - keep four te's and use one of them in the backfield if needed

these two we just have to see where they are in training camp/pre season....

badet - 2yr deal...very very fast...too bad he doesn't return kicks/punts...if he can do what aldrick did last year keep him
taylor - on a one year deal...6'-5" - but doesn't really have any consistent history...let's see what he does in pre season

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 8:59:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm not persuaded on Badet, yet. (that rhymes!) I have to see it to believe it.

Post #: 5383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 10:10:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

there are several players that have been on the team that are in their final year of their rookie contract...i think we should make team friendly contract offers to the following players and sign the ones the bite on it....

Harris - i think we have to let harris go after 2019...draft a safety in the 2nd/3rd round 2020
Morgan - we should be able to draft blocking te in the 5th - we drafted morgan in the 6th
Weatherly - sign him...$20m/5yrs...$10m signing bonus and keep his cap hit down first couple years
Kearse - what is he worth?...nobody really knows...it could be minimum wage as a special teams ace

this group is in their final year and should be let go for rookies...it'll also save us about $500k for the year

Brothers - too slow
Bowers - too slow
Ham - replaceable...i don't think we should keep a fb - keep four te's and use one of them in the backfield if needed

badet - 2yr deal...very very fast...too bad he doesn't return kicks/punts...if he can do what aldrick did last year keep him
taylor - on a one year deal...6'-5" - but doesn't really have any consistent history...let's see what he does in pre season

Isn't Laquon Treadwell on the last year of his rookie deal....

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 10:30:31 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Here is a good article to chew on.

https://purpleptsd.com/vikings-talk-what-is-1222-personnel-and-how-can-the-vikings-get-it-to-work-for-them/

Imagine a formation with Dalvin Cook, Alexander Mattison , Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Irv Smith JR, and Rudolph all on the field simultaneously .

One of them is playing QB I guess? Also, Wowzers was there a lot of misspelled words and grammatical errors in there.

You made a good point so I rephrased your question to be respectful and sent it to the writer. Happily I got a response.

Hey, Bruce. I should have been more specific in the Article. It’s called a tackle over scheme. It’s a unbalanced lineup that would allow either tight end to chip block while the other holds the block making difficult for the defense to match up, and it would allow better control of the A gaps because the Dline would be so unbalanced. you would have to sub out a tackle, so it would mostly be a goal line play action play. They could run a stretch play from this formation if the defense decides to protect the A gaps instead of the C and D gaps. Great question man feel free to ask many more

Since he liked my question I just sent him a follow up question. I will share if he responds.

Interesting response, you don't see the unbalanced line often.

You still can't have six eligible receivers and a QB.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 10:43:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://purpleptsd.com/vikings-talk-what-is-1222-personnel-and-how-can-the-vikings-get-it-to-work-for-them/

Imagine a formation with Dalvin Cook, Alexander Mattison , Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Irv Smith JR, and Rudolph all on the field simultaneously .

One of them is playing QB I guess? Also, Wowzers was there a lot of misspelled words and grammatical errors in there.

You made a good point so I rephrased your question to be respectful and sent it to the writer. Happily I got a response.

Hey, Bruce. I should have been more specific in the Article. It’s called a tackle over scheme. It’s a unbalanced lineup that would allow either tight end to chip block while the other holds the block making difficult for the defense to match up, and it would allow better control of the A gaps because the Dline would be so unbalanced. you would have to sub out a tackle, so it would mostly be a goal line play action play. They could run a stretch play from this formation if the defense decides to protect the A gaps instead of the C and D gaps. Great question man feel free to ask many more

Since he liked my question I just sent him a follow up question. I will share if he responds.

One of them can only catch a lateral pass. I just read up a little on the rule.

Post #: 5386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 11:47:11 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure. Still why would you line a TE up as an ineligible OT, especially in a goal line situation?
Post #: 5387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 12:19:51 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure. Still why would you line a TE up as an ineligible OT, especially in a goal line situation?

Because your TE can block better than your T?
Post #: 5388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 1:31:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I don't know. The Patriots did it.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/10/7526841/the-patriots-trick-play-that-got-john-harbaugh-mad-ravens

Post #: 5389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 1:50:22 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because your TE can block better than your T?

That would be a reason. But then maybe the TE should be your starting tackle. Although I guess in certain situations the TE might be a more effective blocker.
Post #: 5390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 1:59:45 PM   
thebigo

quote:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/10/7526841/the-patriots-trick-play-that-got-john-harbaugh-mad-ravens

Definitely confused the Ravens. That said, the odds of us running it are about .001%, even less that it would be an occasional part of our offense.
Post #: 5391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 2:15:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Definitely confused the Ravens. That said, the odds of us running it are about .001%, even less that it would be an occasional part of our offense.

There must be a reason why the Patriots did it several years ago one time and one time only. Nevertheless, the writer was just saying "imagine". I like imagination. I asked Daniel House on Twitter about whether there is more innovation going on in the college ranks than in the NFL. I could give you his exact response, but basically he said yes, but that the NFL will take the innovation and take it to a higher level of complexity with other variations. Looking at old film recently I have been struck at how simple the play was in the NFL 50 years ago. I think I posted about the subject of the top ten changes in the game over time.

I do believe there must be some plays (some kind of stretch play, or where the player is asked to fake one direction and then run the other way, for example) where a TE would be a better blocker on the move than a tackle.

Post #: 5392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 2:18:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Don't you think our team should head the list?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/teams-most-likely-to-win-their-first-super-bowl-next-season

Post #: 5393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 5:40:50 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

hours ago
How The Late Bart Starr Made The Vikings Great
Mike Greitzer 2 hours ago

With the recent passing of legendary quarterback Bart Starr, Vikings’ fans should recognize the impact of both Starr (and his immortal coach Vince Lombardi), on the first–and perhaps only–great Minnesota Vikings team.

History is replete with good teams becoming great.

Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls had to learn how to defeat the Detroit Pistons and the ruthless defense they played before replacing them at the top of the NBA. Before that, the Pistons had to tame Magic Johnson and the fast-track champion L.A. Lakers with defense to be the best.

In the NFL, this process is almost inevitable.

Take a look at the NFC in the 1980s. Joe Montana and the San Francisco 49ers had to overcome the mighty Dallas Cowboys. They learned to outscore them. In three seasons, the Niners won two Super Bowls.

The 1985 Chicago Bears had to get to ‘Joe Cool’, and they did. With the mighty ‘46’ Defense, Chicago took home the Iron with the world watching them.

But, quickly enough, Joe Gibbs of the Redskins, and Bill Parcells of the Giants, both outsmarted the Bears and brought the Lombardi to their cities.

Then, Montana and the Niners returned. They repeated their run and assumed a position as ‘Team of the Decade’.

In the 1960’s the ‘Team of the Decade’ was, without question, the Green Bay Packers. Vince Lombardi was their coach and Bart Starr was their quarterback.

In 1960, the Packers lost the NFL championship to the Dallas Cowboys, but 1961 and ‘62, and ‘65, the Packers would win that game–then would begin NFL’s modern Era with consecutive victories in Super Bowls I and II in ‘66 and ‘67, both blowout victories against their AFL opponents.

As Viking luck would have it, it was in 1961–just as championship winds blew hard in Green Bay–that the Minnesota Vikings were born of an NFL franchise expansion plan. The Vikings were placed in their appropriate geographical spot, right next to those perennial champion Packers, as well as the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears in the North Division of the NFL.

It seemed an almost impossible task, to compete with such a dynasty, and the young Vikings’ found little success in their early years. Led by young quarterback Fran Tarkenton and head coach Norm Van Brocklin, Minnesota floundered through their first six seasons developing a roster and identity.

But, soon enough, the Vikings came to possess one thing that many other NFL teams did not, a brilliant young mind in new General Manager Jim Finks. Hired in 1964, Finks watched Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi rule the roost for his first few years, doing his best to assemble a team that would someday emulate–if not match their success.

Finks saw the Packers’ Lombardi as a coach of great discipline and positivity who commanded his team to steel their minds on consistently excellent work. Bart Starr, a willing and eager disciple of such mastery, was the Packers’ best player; a signal-caller with savvy, toughness and cool.

The young Vikings needed the same.

Unfortunately, as 1966 came and went, the Packers were celebrating the world’s first Super Bowl, while the Vikings cleaned out their spot in the basement of the North, finishing the season with their worst franchise record of 4-9-1.

But Jim Finks was working on a plan. In 1967, Van Brocklin resigned as Viking coach and the young GM recruited Bud Grant to lead his struggling team. Grant, a highly successful coach in the Canadian Football League (where Finks himself had played and coached), had taken the Edmonton Eskimos to six Grey Cup title games and won the trophy four times.

Climbing The Mountain
Bud Grant was discipline personified, a coach of almost military tactic that demanded toughness and high morale in his football team. He was a stern and quiet coach, but the players respected him to a man.

Jim Finks also brought an equally tough, but much more unorthodox quarterback, to play in Minnesota. Joe Kapp, the NFL’s first Mexican-American QB, had learned to throw by first heaving lettuce heads as a boy on his father’s New Mexico farm.

As a pro football quarterback, Kapp hadn’t his throwing style much. Still, even though the 29-year old NFL “rookie” was no Dan Marino, he, like Grant, was a winner, and he commanded respect in the huddle.

The Vikings responded to Finks’ changes–and Kapp’s strongarm leadership–almost immediately. In 1968 (as Vince Lombardi ironically resigned as Packers coach), the Vikings had their first winning season in franchise history, and took their first NFL North division title from Green Bay.

A year later, during the 1969 season, they were an absolute NFL powerhouse, ranking number one in both league offense and defense.

The Color Purple
Fink had successfully developed what came to be known as the “Purple People Eaters”, at first to compete against Green Bay’s power running game and Bart Starr’s resourceful passing, but quickly enough, to dominate the league.

In ‘64 Finks had added defenders Carl Eller and Gary Larson to join journeyman Jim Marshall on the Viking defensive line. In 1967, with a stroke of genius, he drafted Alan Page out of Notre Dame. A swift and brainy defensive tackle that would define the modern “3-Technique” in the NFL, Page would win the league’s MVP award in 1971.

To this day, Lawerence Taylor has been the only other defensive player to win the award.

GM Jim Finks and Coach Bud Grant had also formed a Minnesota Viking team that had faithfully established a credo they called, “40 for 60”, a bond between all Viking players to give all they had for an entire game, no matter your position or roster spot.

For the Vikings, it was clearly a covenant formed after seasons of doing battle with the steel dispositions of division rivals and world champions Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi.

And they had learned well.

The Great Lift Up
How good were the Vikings in ‘69? After losing a hard-fought first game in New York to the Giants in week one, 24-23, Minnesota returned home to play the defending NFL Champion Baltimore Colts, the team that had bounced them out of their first playoff berth.

The Johnny Unitas and Don Shula Colts.

The score ended Minnesota 52, Baltimore 10. Lettuce-tossing Joe Kapp threw an astonishing seven touchdowns in the game. Yes, that record has been tied, but hardly against a defending champion defense.

For the ‘69 season, the Viking defense allowed a mere 3.2 yards per carry rushing average, and gave up only 3.6 yards per pass. They won 11 games in a row, sat their starters in a meaningless week 14 game against Atlanta and finished the season 12-2.

The Purple People Eaters were bona fide.

The Vikings’ moved through the ‘69 playoffs by beating the L.A. Rams in their Divisional Playoff and crushing the Cleveland Browns in the last NFL Championship Game of the NFL/AFL merger, 27-7.

Minnesota then traveled to New Orleans and entered Super Bowl IV as a 13-point favorite against the Kansas City Chiefs.

And The Great Let Down
What happened in Tulane stadium on January 11th, 1970, is the same thing that happened to Minnesota Super Bowl VIII, IX, and XI.

The Vikings came up short. They played their worst in the ultimate game. They turned the ball over and they failed to stop the run, giving the Chiefs, Dolphins, Steelers, and Raiders their first Super Bowl trophies while missing the chance to bring one to Minnesota.

However, after a full decade of NFL/NFC North Division Championships and four Super Bowl appearances in 8 years, the Minnesota Vikings have indeed established themselves as an unforgettable team in NFL history.

It is not a complete history of greatness, and certainly pales in comparison to the history of their predecessors in the NFC North, but if Vikings fans can think highly of a one-time opponent, the Packers, and that team’s finest player, the late Bart Starr, they should.

Starr was the leader of the team that the Minnesota Vikings’ had to beat to become great.

And they did.

ON THE V61

Beware Vikings’ Mini-Camp Mini-Hype
Mandatory minicamp are finishing up around the NFL. For the fans that are hungry …

Does Laquon Treadwell Deserve Another Chance In New Vikings’ Offense?
Now entering his third season, Laquon Treadwell could be considered a valuable piece in …

Jordan Taylor And Chad Beebe Prepare To Improve Vikings’ Offense
Both new wideout Jordan Taylor and second year Viking Chad Beebe are opening eyes …

© Copyright 2018, Vikings61.com
Post #: 5394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 9:27:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Thank you, Geoffrey for the heads up on another Vikings website. I thought this article was worth reading, as well.

http://box2046.temp.domains/~vikingw5/vikings-must-get-back-to-stopping-the-run/

Post #: 5395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 10:51:17 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

Brothers - too slow
Bowers - too slow

I'm coming around on Morgan being replaced...I like him, but dayum...he's on the shelf again?

I thought Brothers was gone after the suspension last year. Definitely slow

Bowers has failed to take the next step, as has Jaleel

I've never been enamored with Ham...to me, he's just a guy. I would love to see this Blasingame kid replace him.

I hope Badet really shows something this preseason to make it even more difficult to keep Treadwell

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 5396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/24/2019 11:03:06 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

hours ago
How The Late Bart Starr Made The Vikings Great
Mike Greitzer 2 hours ago

With the recent passing of legendary quarterback Bart Starr, Vikings’ fans should recognize the impact of both Starr (and his immortal coach Vince Lombardi), on the first–and perhaps only–great Minnesota Vikings team.

History is replete with good teams becoming great.

Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls had to learn how to defeat the Detroit Pistons and the ruthless defense they played before replacing them at the top of the NBA. Before that, the Pistons had to tame Magic Johnson and the fast-track champion L.A. Lakers with defense to be the best.

In the NFL, this process is almost inevitable.

Take a look at the NFC in the 1980s. Joe Montana and the San Francisco 49ers had to overcome the mighty Dallas Cowboys. They learned to outscore them. In three seasons, the Niners won two Super Bowls.

The 1985 Chicago Bears had to get to ‘Joe Cool’, and they did. With the mighty ‘46’ Defense, Chicago took home the Iron with the world watching them.

But, quickly enough, Joe Gibbs of the Redskins, and Bill Parcells of the Giants, both outsmarted the Bears and brought the Lombardi to their cities.

Then, Montana and the Niners returned. They repeated their run and assumed a position as ‘Team of the Decade’.

In the 1960’s the ‘Team of the Decade’ was, without question, the Green Bay Packers. Vince Lombardi was their coach and Bart Starr was their quarterback.

In 1960, the Packers lost the NFL championship to the Dallas Cowboys, but 1961 and ‘62, and ‘65, the Packers would win that game–then would begin NFL’s modern Era with consecutive victories in Super Bowls I and II in ‘66 and ‘67, both blowout victories against their AFL opponents.

As Viking luck would have it, it was in 1961–just as championship winds blew hard in Green Bay–that the Minnesota Vikings were born of an NFL franchise expansion plan. The Vikings were placed in their appropriate geographical spot, right next to those perennial champion Packers, as well as the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears in the North Division of the NFL.

It seemed an almost impossible task, to compete with such a dynasty, and the young Vikings’ found little success in their early years. Led by young quarterback Fran Tarkenton and head coach Norm Van Brocklin, Minnesota floundered through their first six seasons developing a roster and identity.

But, soon enough, the Vikings came to possess one thing that many other NFL teams did not, a brilliant young mind in new General Manager Jim Finks. Hired in 1964, Finks watched Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi rule the roost for his first few years, doing his best to assemble a team that would someday emulate–if not match their success.

Finks saw the Packers’ Lombardi as a coach of great discipline and positivity who commanded his team to steel their minds on consistently excellent work. Bart Starr, a willing and eager disciple of such mastery, was the Packers’ best player; a signal-caller with savvy, toughness and cool.

The young Vikings needed the same.

Unfortunately, as 1966 came and went, the Packers were celebrating the world’s first Super Bowl, while the Vikings cleaned out their spot in the basement of the North, finishing the season with their worst franchise record of 4-9-1.

But Jim Finks was working on a plan. In 1967, Van Brocklin resigned as Viking coach and the young GM recruited Bud Grant to lead his struggling team. Grant, a highly successful coach in the Canadian Football League (where Finks himself had played and coached), had taken the Edmonton Eskimos to six Grey Cup title games and won the trophy four times.

Climbing The Mountain
Bud Grant was discipline personified, a coach of almost military tactic that demanded toughness and high morale in his football team. He was a stern and quiet coach, but the players respected him to a man.

Jim Finks also brought an equally tough, but much more unorthodox quarterback, to play in Minnesota. Joe Kapp, the NFL’s first Mexican-American QB, had learned to throw by first heaving lettuce heads as a boy on his father’s New Mexico farm.

As a pro football quarterback, Kapp hadn’t his throwing style much. Still, even though the 29-year old NFL “rookie” was no Dan Marino, he, like Grant, was a winner, and he commanded respect in the huddle.

The Vikings responded to Finks’ changes–and Kapp’s strongarm leadership–almost immediately. In 1968 (as Vince Lombardi ironically resigned as Packers coach), the Vikings had their first winning season in franchise history, and took their first NFL North division title from Green Bay.

A year later, during the 1969 season, they were an absolute NFL powerhouse, ranking number one in both league offense and defense.

The Color Purple
Fink had successfully developed what came to be known as the “Purple People Eaters”, at first to compete against Green Bay’s power running game and Bart Starr’s resourceful passing, but quickly enough, to dominate the league.

In ‘64 Finks had added defenders Carl Eller and Gary Larson to join journeyman Jim Marshall on the Viking defensive line. In 1967, with a stroke of genius, he drafted Alan Page out of Notre Dame. A swift and brainy defensive tackle that would define the modern “3-Technique” in the NFL, Page would win the league’s MVP award in 1971.

To this day, Lawerence Taylor has been the only other defensive player to win the award.

GM Jim Finks and Coach Bud Grant had also formed a Minnesota Viking team that had faithfully established a credo they called, “40 for 60”, a bond between all Viking players to give all they had for an entire game, no matter your position or roster spot.

For the Vikings, it was clearly a covenant formed after seasons of doing battle with the steel dispositions of division rivals and world champions Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi.

And they had learned well.

The Great Lift Up
How good were the Vikings in ‘69? After losing a hard-fought first game in New York to the Giants in week one, 24-23, Minnesota returned home to play the defending NFL Champion Baltimore Colts, the team that had bounced them out of their first playoff berth.

The Johnny Unitas and Don Shula Colts.

The score ended Minnesota 52, Baltimore 10. Lettuce-tossing Joe Kapp threw an astonishing seven touchdowns in the game. Yes, that record has been tied, but hardly against a defending champion defense.

For the ‘69 season, the Viking defense allowed a mere 3.2 yards per carry rushing average, and gave up only 3.6 yards per pass. They won 11 games in a row, sat their starters in a meaningless week 14 game against Atlanta and finished the season 12-2.

The Purple People Eaters were bona fide.

The Vikings’ moved through the ‘69 playoffs by beating the L.A. Rams in their Divisional Playoff and crushing the Cleveland Browns in the last NFL Championship Game of the NFL/AFL merger, 27-7.

Minnesota then traveled to New Orleans and entered Super Bowl IV as a 13-point favorite against the Kansas City Chiefs.

And The Great Let Down
What happened in Tulane stadium on January 11th, 1970, is the same thing that happened to Minnesota Super Bowl VIII, IX, and XI.

The Vikings came up short. They played their worst in the ultimate game. They turned the ball over and they failed to stop the run, giving the Chiefs, Dolphins, Steelers, and Raiders their first Super Bowl trophies while missing the chance to bring one to Minnesota.

However, after a full decade of NFL/NFC North Division Championships and four Super Bowl appearances in 8 years, the Minnesota Vikings have indeed established themselves as an unforgettable team in NFL history.

It is not a complete history of greatness, and certainly pales in comparison to the history of their predecessors in the NFC North, but if Vikings fans can think highly of a one-time opponent, the Packers, and that team’s finest player, the late Bart Starr, they should.

Starr was the leader of the team that the Minnesota Vikings’ had to beat to become great.

And they did.

ON THE V61

Beware Vikings’ Mini-Camp Mini-Hype
Mandatory minicamp are finishing up around the NFL. For the fans that are hungry …

Now entering his third season, Laquon Treadwell could be considered a valuable piece in …

Jordan Taylor And Chad Beebe Prepare To Improve Vikings’ Offense
Both new wideout Jordan Taylor and second year Viking Chad Beebe are opening eyes …

© Copyright 2018, Vikings61.com

Good piece, a little fluffy, but anything that brings back Grant, Page and Kapp puts me in a good mood.

I'm guessing most modern fans wouldn't agree, but there is a case to be made for Bart Starr being the best Packer QB ever.

Yeah, today's Packer fans don't like when you mention it.
Post #: 5397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 5:46:23 AM   
ratoppenheimer

treadwell is entering his 4th season...it's weird, but i just don't give him any concideration in our future - even in 2019...we need to move forward with coaching up some of our new young players....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 8:42:56 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

I always find rules discussions interesting. I guess I'm unsure what people think is or is not legal. With the NE play it's hard to tell anything. I had to screenshot it to see where everyone was lined up but it was impossible to see numbers.

Here's a good enough article explaining the general rules regarding lining up as a OL

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/15/13541854/illegal-formation-referees-nfl-college

My favorite line in the article, which I know to be true: Nobody wants games bogged down with a litany of “illegal formation” calls. Trust me.

We had a guy on the crew that was so anal about the waistline that it created a lot of friction with coaches and even with our referee.
Post #: 5399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 8:45:16 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

treadwell is entering his 4th season...it's weird, but i just don't give him any concideration in our future - even in 2019...we need to move forward with coaching up some of our new young players....

I agree. Worrying about LT and what he'll contribute is a thing of the past. If he surprises us, great!
Post #: 5400
Page:   <<   < prev  214 215 [216] 217 218   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  214 215 [216] 217 218   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode