Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  215 216 [217] 218 219   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 9:35:46 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Does Laquon Treadwell Deserve Another Chance In New Vikings’ Offense?
Now entering his third season, Laquon Treadwell could be considered a valuable piece in …

treadwell is entering his 4th season...it's weird, but i just don't give him any concideration in our future - even in 2019...we need to move forward with coaching up some of our new young players....

I agree. Worrying about LT and what he'll contribute is a thing of the past. If he surprises us, great!

I'd prefer to see him not on the roster. If on the roster, I'd prefer to see him on the bench or not dressed. 8.6 yards per reception (not even good for a RB) and a 13% drop rate. In my opinion it was borderline grounds for a coach to be fired last season when Treadwell was back on the field after that crucial drop (can't remember which specific game) on third down.

Treadwell can be put in the same group as Matt Kalil and Christian Ponder as classic examples of a recurring mistake the Vikings make in that they will play a first-round draft pick wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long after even the casual fan knows they are a bust.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 9:52:02 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Does Laquon Treadwell Deserve Another Chance In New Vikings’ Offense?
Now entering his third season, Laquon Treadwell could be considered a valuable piece in …

treadwell is entering his 4th season...it's weird, but i just don't give him any concideration in our future - even in 2019...we need to move forward with coaching up some of our new young players....

I agree. Worrying about LT and what he'll contribute is a thing of the past. If he surprises us, great!

I'd prefer to see him not on the roster. If on the roster, I'd prefer to see him on the bench or not dressed. 8.6 yards per reception (not even good for a RB) and a 13% drop rate. In my opinion it was borderline grounds for a coach to be fired last season when Treadwell was back on the field after that crucial drop (can't remember which specific game) on third down.

Treadwell can be put in the same group as Matt Kalil and Christian Ponder as classic examples of a recurring mistake the Vikings make in that they will play a first-round draft pick wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long after even the casual fan knows they are a bust.

Works for me either way. Either he makes a miraculous advance forward or is cut during training camp I'll take either one.

What I'd like to know is what is it "we" were talking about with the legal or not so legal play regarding the OL ...
Post #: 5402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 10:07:42 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

JT. thanks for the input
Post #: 5403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 11:08:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://thevikingage.com/2019/06/25/5-weakest-positions-2019-minnesota-vikings/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 11:09:32 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Hopefully a perceived weakness on the team can become a strength. That's very possible.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 2:34:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Have you noticed that most Super Bowl champion cities are on the East or West coast's? Is something lacking in fly over country? We don't spill beer on families from other places? We don't swear and use enough profanity in our language? Is it our fault the team never made it to the Promised Land of football?

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/25/18756968/recent-nfl-fandom-report-minnesota-vikings-fans

Post #: 5406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 2:42:52 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Have you noticed that most Super Bowl champion cities are on the East or West coast's? Is something lacking in fly over country? We don't spill beer on families from other places? We don't swear and use enough profanity in our language? Is it our fault the team never made it to the Promised Land of football?

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/25/18756968/recent-nfl-fandom-report-minnesota-vikings-fans

In fairness, the bulk of NFL cities are on the coasts or near them.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 2:55:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Atlanta and San Diego have failed to win. Oh. And Jacksonville. Every other team east of Buffalo and and every other team west of us has at least one Super Bowl championship.

I forgot Arizona too. Not really a coastal location, though.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 6/25/2019 2:57:41 PM >

Post #: 5408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 2:58:25 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

In fairness, the bulk of NFL cities are on the coasts or near them.

Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland, LA Rams, LA Chargers, Houston, New Orleans (Dallas is kind of close I guess), Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, Carolina, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York New York, New England. What do you call close to the coast?

17 (18 if you count Dallas) is just more than half of the league. I don't know If I'd call that "bulk".

Patriots have won 6 of them.
SF 5
Ravens 2
Baltimore Colts 1
That's 14 of what 53?
Miami won 2
Oakland (LA for one of them) 3
Giants have 4 by my count.

Teams from the interior that have won,

Green Bay 4 times (I hear about this all the time from their lovers)
Bears
Saint Louis Rams
Pittsburgh has 6
Colts
Broncos 3

I don't think it really has anything to do with location.

Just good teams putting runs together and dominating.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 6/25/2019 3:04:24 PM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 3:16:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Ok. How about Minnesota fans in particular. You know how we tend to wait for something to happen before we get excited and cheer? Compare the atmosphere between a Gopher game and a Clemson game. Are we partially responsible?

Post #: 5410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 3:52:14 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ok. How about Minnesota fans in particular. You know how we tend to wait for something to happen before we get excited and cheer? Compare the atmosphere between a Gopher game and a Clemson game. Are we partially responsible?

I think it is way more complex than that. Minneapolis and St Paul have a lot of competition for our entertainment dollar. What does the Clemson area have? We have All four major sports NFL MLB NBA AND NHL, Also WNBA, and now a professional Soccer team, plus the Saints, The Theater, music scene, Zoo, Valley Fair...And of course the Gophers in many sports (pretty much all NCAA sports) and the list goes on and one. If a team is not doing well we don't spend our money there. We find other things to spend our money on. If they've been bad for a while, we will want them to prove it.

Clemson is located in South Carolina. What do they have to compete for their entertainment dollar. So naturally they are going to be a little more "supportive".

Because they have little else going on.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 10:26:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

So we have an excuse, but still is that why the Vikings have not won a Super Bowl? Because fan intensity is lacking? It's hard for me to understand why this area has been a Loserville and Boston teams have recent major championships in all the sports. I watched as a young Bruins fan gave the finger to each St. Louis Blue leaving the ice. Of course his team lost in game 7 (at home!) and I couldn't have been more pleased. When the Twins won World Series our support was over the top loud in the Dome. Isn't our new stadium loud too?

Post #: 5412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 10:33:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I have driven through Auburn, Alabama on a night of a football game. The town was lifeless other than in and around the stadium. I believe that was in '86. You make a really good point, Trekgeekscott.

Post #: 5413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 10:44:47 PM   
Pager

quote:

So we have an excuse, but still is that why the Vikings have not won a Super Bowl? Because fan intensity is lacking? It's hard for me to understand why this area has been a Loserville and Boston teams have recent major championships in all the sports. I watched as a young Bruins fan gave the finger to each St. Louis Blue leaving the ice. Of course his team lost in game 7 (at home!) and I couldn't have been more pleased. When the Twins won World Series our support was over the top loud in the Dome. Isn't our new stadium loud too?

I don't know there's a way to measure fan contribution other than ticket sales. In the NFL, that might have the least impact with revenue sharing. GB is in a tiny market and still has won.

Teams with "disinterested fans" have won championships. Looks at the Florida Marlins. Or any hockey team south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Unless you can buy a championship (not in the NFL) I think it's just a combination of right talent, coach, opponent, and the stars aligning.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/25/2019 10:53:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I just read some articles. At the time of the Minneapolis Miracle the decibel level was 120.1. That is really loud, but less than levels at Seattle and Kansas City. I also read that Gillette Stadium is open air and not so loud. Some of the loudest venues are for college games. The U's of Florida, Michigan and Tennessee were mentioned.

Of course the Met Stadium was open air, but the Vikings did very well there. People talked about the advantage of the extreme cold, though.

Post #: 5415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 12:40:41 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Hopefully a perceived weakness on the team can become a strength. That's very possible.

the only one of the five that i agree with is 'will' linebacker...gedeon is a slow-footed thumper that can be exploited on the edge and in coverage....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 7:49:00 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

the only one of the five that i agree with is 'will' linebacker...gedeon is a slow-footed thumper that can be exploited on the edge and in coverage....

My guess that 3LB's on the field doesn't happen too much. Many teams are moving a S down in the box. I forget which playoff game I was watching where they had 2 S's playing LB.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 8:24:51 AM   
Bill Jandro

Kirk Cousins needs to lead the Vikings to a fourth-quarter win

If you are looking only at individual performances, then Kirk Cousins had the best season of any Vikings quarterback since 2009. However, when taking a closer look at the entire quarterback play for the team a slightly different picture emerges.

Cousins’ quarterback rating of 99.7 last season is just slightly better than the combined rating of 99.1 for Case Keenum and Sam Bradford from 2017. Cousins threw for 4,298 yards in 2018, the most since Brett Favre amassed 4,202 in 2009. However, it is only 179 yards more than the Vikings got from Bradford and Shaun Hill in 2016.

If 2018 was a mere speed bump or a short departure from making the postseason, then Cousins needs to play better in 2019. Sure, his stats were great, but there is the intangible of leading your team to a victory they had no business winning.

In seven seasons, Cousins has 12 game-winning drives, 11 of them after becoming the full-time starter for the Redskins in 2015. None of them came last season.

In two of his three seasons as the starter in Washington, Cousins led the Redskins to four game-winning drives. In 2017 that was good enough to lead the NFL. The other season he did it three times. The same year he had four game-winning drives, he was sacked 41 times for a league-high 342 yards.

So that fact he was under constant pressure last season while being sacked 40 times does not excuse him from winning a game when it counts and lead the Vikings to at least one game-winning drive.

He needs to deliver as he did in Washington, averaging 3.6 game-winning drives in three years as the starter. That is the difference between 8-8 or 9-7 and 11-5 or 12-4.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 9:42:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This could have happened to the Vikings. The Bengals are snake bitten. Sorry for the long link.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034530/article/bengals-rookie-ot-jonah-williams-likely-to-miss-season?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bteam%3Dcin%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bdvsn%3Dacn%3Bplyr%3Djonah_williams%3Bplyr%3Dandrew_whitworth%3Bplyr%3Djohn_jerry&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Post #: 5419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 9:48:10 AM   
TJSweens

It could still happen to the Vikings. They are on a two year streak of their top draft picks going down early.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 9:50:08 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Bruce, I am just going come out and say what everybody else knows.

It’s your fault we haven’t won a Super Bowl.

Time to look in the mirror.
Post #: 5421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 9:50:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I can't disagree with any of these.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/06/26/5-must-change-minnesota-vikings-2019/

Post #: 5422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 9:52:01 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Bruce, I am just going come out and say what everybody else knows.

It’s your fault we haven’t won a Super Bowl.

Time to look in the mirror.

I agree. I'm sorry everyone. That makes me very, very bad.

Post #: 5423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 9:54:03 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

It could still happen to the Vikings. They are on a two year streak of their top draft picks going down early.

I kinda admire someone that laughs and taunts and dares Fate to strike again.

Like Captain Ahab or Khan.

Please stop.
Post #: 5424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/26/2019 10:05:38 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I kinda admire someone that laughs and taunts and dares Fate to strike again.

Like Captain Ahab or Khan.

Please stop.

I'm not laughing or taunting anything. I am just uneasy. Not fatalistic, just uneasy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5425
Page:   <<   < prev  215 216 [217] 218 219   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  215 216 [217] 218 219   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode