Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  221 222 [223] 224 225   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2019 11:15:02 AM  1 votes
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I told Daniel House that I would suggest a topic for him to research and write about. Any suggestions? I do have an idea, though.

Snapping and placement ...

I have not been following this issue closely. Could you be more specific for what he should research and write about?

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/3/2019 2:23:19 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2019 4:03:35 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I told Daniel House that I would suggest a topic for him to research and write about. Any suggestions? I do have an idea, though.

Snapping and placement ...

I have not been following this issue closely. Could you be more specific for what he should research and write about?

Laces up and facing the goal posts. Preferably both simultaneously with new ball delivery angles.

In the words of that old guy from The Color Purple "We need some stability around here, that's for sure."
Post #: 5552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2019 5:38:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is how I wrote it. (To Daniel House)

A friend of mine suggested you could write on the possible impact of a long snapper who delivers the ball with the laces in the right place nearly every time vs the conventional standard.

I'll be sure to let you know how he responds.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2019 6:09:02 PM   
Todd M

Maybe there is a lesson in here...

No excuse but I was freaking tired when I posted this morning. Having read the whole article I now see that it can be both.

quote:

About 15 percent of the time, the laces do not arrive pointing directly toward the sky.

“If you think of the sky as noon on a clock, sometimes the laces are at 10 o’clock or 2 o’clock,” Weatherford said. “I turn them in the air before I put the ball down. Some guys will put the ball down and then spin the laces toward the target, but that can freak out a kicker. I put it down static and let him get a clean look at it.”

So I took incomplete information and wanted to drive home a point because it was about winning an argument. Showing someone up. I didn't come in neutral with interest in investigating the right answer. Nope, riled up by my 'debate opponent'. I'm going to try and not do that any more.

The thing is, we were all a little off base on the mechanics and probably have learned something. I think there's a better way to get there though.
Post #: 5554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2019 6:37:56 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

No excuse but I was freaking tired when I posted this morning. Having read the whole article I now see that it can be both.

quote:

About 15 percent of the time, the laces do not arrive pointing directly toward the sky.

“If you think of the sky as noon on a clock, sometimes the laces are at 10 o’clock or 2 o’clock,” Weatherford said. “I turn them in the air before I put the ball down. Some guys will put the ball down and then spin the laces toward the target, but that can freak out a kicker. I put it down static and let him get a clean look at it.”

So I took incomplete information and wanted to drive home a point because it was about winning an argument. Showing someone up. I didn't come in neutral with interest in investigating the right answer. Nope, riled up by my 'debate opponent'. I'm going to try and not do that any more.

The thing is, we were all a little off base on the mechanics and probably have learned something. I think there's a better way to get there though.

I guess the long snapper who puts the laces up and the ball right in the holders wheelhouse 95% of the time is probably worth something. I don't know how "cherry picked" Austin's snaps were in his video, but it seems like Mcdermotts snaps caused the holder to reach one way or another with more frequency than Austins
Post #: 5555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2019 7:19:49 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I'm trying to think back, if I could have tracked the laces during the snap. It was never a focal point.

Ill answer that for you, "No."

Here's one problem i see with catching the laces just right (other than youre not going to be able to track them and if you did itd take some extraordinary reflexes to snatch it just right) if the snap isnt consistent every time (and our guy is the only guy who can do that) youre catching it a foot ahead or a foot behind the optimal spot to catch it and put it down
Post #: 5556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2019 8:43:38 AM   
Bruce Johnson

It's rather early for offensive linemen evaluations, but it's nice to see this anyway.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/04/kyle-rudolph-raves-about-garrett-bradbury/

Post #: 5557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2019 10:58:41 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I listened to Kyle Rudolph on the radio today. He says he likes how the offense will be less predictable on third and four or less. Defenses will have to be honest and we can have more flexibility based on how the defense has set up.

He also said that it should help the offensive line if Cousins doesn't set up to pass from the same spot all of the time. They are going to move Cousins around and he also will throw on the run.

Post #: 5558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2019 11:27:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Excellent attitude Todd. We should never argue trying to win. We should discuss trying to find truth. Laces at 10 or 2 IMO are close enough.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2019 11:49:40 AM  1 votes
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I'm trying to think back, if I could have tracked the laces during the snap. It was never a focal point.

Ill answer that for you, "No."

Here's one problem i see with catching the laces just right (other than youre not going to be able to track them and if you did itd take some extraordinary reflexes to snatch it just right) if the snap isnt consistent every time (and our guy is the only guy who can do that) youre catching it a foot ahead or a foot behind the optimal spot to catch it and put it down

Its why this was an interesting topic. I was first trying to think how visible the laces are. Nose of the football coming at you, laces raised maybe a quarter of inch. Tight rotation. In practice alone, I must have caught hundreds of snaps over two seasons. But my memory isn't good enough to say.

And then to your point. I was trying to think of the ways to catch it with the laces in the right spot. Ignoring the extraordinary reflexes aspect. As you said, moving your hands forward and back is one way that would allow the most rotation of the football the most. You could could also rotate your hands but that would only be maybe 3 inches in either direction before it gets awkward, less impact.

I guess there are worse things to debate this time of year.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2019 12:18:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Excellent attitude Todd. We should never argue trying to win. We should discuss trying to find truth. Laces at 10 or 2 IMO are close enough.

Outside 10:05 and 1:55 is unacceptable.
Post #: 5561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 1:21:24 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Outside 10:05 and 1:55 is unacceptable.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 5:49:56 AM   
Terry Stoneberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2
Anybody know why the NFL predominately uses Punters and QB's as holders?

Why didn't we ever utilize Cris Carter's hands/balls skills as a holder? In his prime, he had the best hands in the game. Almost zero risk of injury just being a holder, not to mention how that could possibly open up other ST possibilities. Berger was better at that job than Carter? Any theories why it's almost always a punter or QB holding the ball on FG's?

I don't know why, but I have theories from watching training camp. Practice time. The long snapper, punter, and kicker are quite often in another part of the field practicing endless kicking while the offense and defense are elsewhere practicing their craft. The punter only has so many punts in him per day so it makes sense to have him be the holder because he can practice the rest of the time holding.

All of that makes no sense when the QB is the holder. But then I've never seen any training camps but the Vikings and during that time we've always had the punter as holder. Romo was the Dallas holder and I don't know for sure how they'd have time to practice. At our training camps the QBs don't spend an awful lot of time standing around unless they are actually scrimmaging. They are usually either taking snaps or studying the craft with a coach.
Post #: 5563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 6:33:41 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm not expecting these records to fall except the last one.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/07/05/5-minnesota-vikings-records-could-broken-2019/

Post #: 5564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 6:34:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This is not good.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/04/sport/miami-dolphins-kendrick-norton-arm-amputated-trnd/index.html

Post #: 5565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 10:12:14 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Since our third and fourth receiver positions are wide open, this is an interesting subject. Plus, a video of Diggs is in as an example of great route running.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/what-to-look-for-when-scouting--wide-receivers

Post #: 5566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 10:33:58 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Leber is on the radio again reiterating how he likes the rookie wide receiver out of Sam Houston State "a lot". (Davis) He sees him as being the dynamic kind of receiver "in today's game" that can make the contested catches. He likes his approach as being really professional.

Post #: 5567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 10:36:40 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Leber is on the radio again reiterating how he likes the rookie wide receiver out of Sam Houston State "a lot". (Davis) He sees him as being the dynamic kind of receiver "in today's game" that can make the contested catches. He likes his approach as being really professional.

Was Davis UDFA signing this year?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 10:50:37 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Was Davis UDFA signing this year?

Yes. I think he would have been drafted except he got hurt last year and also played for a small school.

Post #: 5569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 10:55:40 AM   
Bruce Johnson

He reminds me of Diggs. Checkout his Pro Day highlights, but wait for the interview. He is very impressive to me.

https://www.itemonline.com/multimedia/davion-davis-pro-day-highlights-and-interview/video_5c036f60-4c62-11e9-a348-1b9d8cdb4569.html

Post #: 5570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 11:12:06 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Compare him to Treadwell's highlights. Note the lack of explosion out of the breaks. Yeah, I know he's a bigger body, but that's not the direction for "today's game".

https://youtu.be/YeD4ge5GUeE

Post #: 5571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 12:04:54 PM   
jbusse

quote:

Compare him to Treadwell's highlights. Note the lack of explosion out of the breaks. Yeah, I know he's a bigger body, but that's not the direction for "today's game".

Seems unlikely Treadwell makes the 53, even given the dead cap hit. Scouting WR prospects must be difficult.
Post #: 5572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 1:14:57 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Seems unlikely Treadwell makes the 53, even given the dead cap hit. Scouting WR prospects must be difficult.

It is crazy when you look at some of our biggest hits v. our biggest misses - tell me the same people didn't recommend both ...
Post #: 5573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 1:50:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Treadwell was seen as complementary to what we had at the time. All the draft gurus had him going in the first round.

Post #: 5574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2019 2:23:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I was comparing Davis to Diggs. They do look similar, but Diggs was very sharp in his Pro Day.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/stefon-diggs-maryland-pro-day-highlights-15102604

Post #: 5575
Page:   <<   < prev  221 222 [223] 224 225   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  221 222 [223] 224 225   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode