Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2018 8:28:57 PM   
Pager

Dieter and Lindstrom look interesting. I doubt the others don't look athletic enough for our scheme, being able to get to second level and block in space is a big need for us.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/12/20/18130517/2019-nfl-draft-5-sleeper-guard-prospects-detroit-lions

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2018 8:32:30 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I stand corrected. H Hill has played 274 of 755 defense snaps. Some of that will be special teams, I don't think the site distinguishes those two. That comes to 36% of the snaps Hill has played. Even adjusting for special teams he is way above 10%.

Color me very impressed.

If Zim and FO can trade Waynes for a second, I say do it.

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-min-6.php

I think that's just defense.

profootballreference has him at:

DEF: 279 (31.14%)
ST: 232 (58.59%)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2018-snap-counts.htm
Post #: 1127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2018 8:38:32 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I stand corrected. H Hill has played 274 of 755 defense snaps. Some of that will be special teams, I don't think the site distinguishes those two. That comes to 36% of the snaps Hill has played. Even adjusting for special teams he is way above 10%.

Color me very impressed.

Looks like a better source, TY!!

31% as a UDFA/rookie is damn impressive considering I can only think of the TD that he gave up against the Bears as a negative play.

Post #: 1128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2018 8:46:50 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Color me very impressed.

Looks like a better source, TY!!

31% as a UDFA/rookie is damn impressive considering I can only think of the TD that he gave up against the Bears as a negative play.

And he's made a handful of really good plays. Here are a handful of tweets mentioning him:

Purple Post@Purple_Post
Oct 28
Drew Brees threw for 120 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT tonight.

An undrafted free agent rookie CB started for our Pro Bowl corner tonight. Holton Hill and Trae Waynes were EXCELLENT. So many factors play into wins & losses. I still feel good about where we're at as a team.

------------------

Adam Patrick@Str8_Cash_Homey
Oct 29
Pretty good starting debut for #Vikings rookie CB Holton Hill last night (against the Saints)
Allowed just 1 catch for 6 yards on 3 targets

------------------

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Nov 18
#Vikings cornerback Holton Hill has allowed an opposing QB rating of 31.9 when targeted this season, per Pro Football Focus.

Through 7 games and 127 snaps he's earned a @PFF grade of 81.4.
Post #: 1129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2018 10:21:56 PM   
Pager

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002257/article/top-10-nfl-defensive-player-of-the-year-candidates

This guy is a clown. Hunter not in the top 10? 2nd in the league in sacks, more tackles for losses than anyone (if I remember right). 60 tackles. Last guy to have these numbers was JJ Watt and he won DPOY. I think Danold should get it and I'm ok with Mack being above Hunter. But Hunter not being in the top 5 shows this guy is a clown.

Post #: 1130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 12:55:17 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Barr is 100% gone in my book.

Even I got on him this year...right before the last 2 weeks happened mind you but the last 2 weeks just show what he has and isn't/wasn't giving or being put in the position to give. He's going to get an offer we won't be close to being interested in touching.

could we transition tag barr and then trade him?...is that better than getting a 3rd round compensatory pick the following season?....

the raiders have two solid guards, many draft picks in 2019 and they're $78m under the cap for next season....

we could offer them barr, waynes and sendejo - all trained and developed by one of the best defensive minds ever, and along with their draft they'd have an instant top 10 defense...i think that zimmer's system was asking too much of sendejo, but imo he's still a solid 'strong safety' in a conventional defense....

we get a solid starting guard and a 2nd rounder in '19 and a 3rd runder in '20....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 7:26:06 AM   
Ian Joseph

Barr doesn't have trade value. And to tag him means whatever the contractual price of the tag is immediately applied to your cap. That would limit the hell out of us.

The only way he stays is on a team friendly deal, which in 2019, for a guy with so much potential and about to earn a second contract in an NFL salary cap world of almost 200 million, is out of reach. So, the absolute best case scenario for him (and us) is we win the super bowl, in part because of him on defense and his price tag skyrockets in free agency, as is the case with all super bowl winning free agents. That way, it helps us secure a great compensatory pick in 2020.

YMMV.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 12/21/2018 7:27:08 AM >

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 8:57:33 AM   
ronhextall

The great Zimm needs to do more with less on defense if that is necessary to improve the OL.

I am no draft / cap expert but in broad terms that is my feeling.
Post #: 1133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 11:22:47 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Even I got on him this year...right before the last 2 weeks happened mind you but the last 2 weeks just show what he has and isn't/wasn't giving or being put in the position to give. He's going to get an offer we won't be close to being interested in touching.

could we transition tag barr and then trade him?...is that better than getting a 3rd round compensatory pick the following season?....

the raiders have two solid guards, many draft picks in 2019 and they're $78m under the cap for next season....

we could offer them barr, waynes and sendejo - all trained and developed by one of the best defensive minds ever, and along with their draft they'd have an instant top 10 defense...i think that zimmer's system was asking too much of sendejo, but imo he's still a solid 'strong safety' in a conventional defense....

we get a solid starting guard and a 2nd rounder in '19 and a 3rd runder in '20....

Transition Tag might not be a bad idea.

It would probably make a team overpay(so we wouldn't match) and lead to a better compensatory pick.

If contract is reasonable to Brez, you match.
Post #: 1134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 11:25:06 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Barr doesn't have trade value. And to tag him means whatever the contractual price of the tag is immediately applied to your cap. That would limit the hell out of us.

The only way he stays is on a team friendly deal, which in 2019, for a guy with so much potential and about to earn a second contract in an NFL salary cap world of almost 200 million, is out of reach. So, the absolute best case scenario for him (and us) is we win the super bowl, in part because of him on defense and his price tag skyrockets in free agency, as is the case with all super bowl winning free agents. That way, it helps us secure a great compensatory pick in 2020.

YMMV.

with the transition tag we are allowed to match barr's best offer and keep him - we even get five days to decide....

has any team ever traded a player during the transition tag process?....

Post #: 1135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 11:29:49 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

It would probably make a team overpay(so we wouldn't match) and lead to a better compensatory pick.

Doesn't the transition tag immediately count against our cap, and only go away if he signs elsewhere?

And I think Top 10 average for LBers is going to be close to 15M this year...
Post #: 1136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 12:01:02 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Doesn't the transition tag immediately count against our cap, and only go away if he signs elsewhere?

Slap a transition on Barr and the most likely scenario is that you wind up keeping in 2019 him for even more money than you planned to pay him. Not a good strategy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 1:13:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Slap a transition on Barr and the most likely scenario is that you wind up keeping in 2019 him for even more money than you planned to pay him. Not a good strategy.

OK. Scrap that idea.
Post #: 1138
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 1:34:57 PM   
Ricky J

Promoted

VikingUpdate.com

@VikingUpdate

·

59m

Eric Kendricks is out for the #Vikings on Sunday. That's it for the Vikings injuries. Linval Joseph will play

- ouch (i wouldnt feel as bad if it was Barr)
Post #: 1139
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 4:30:49 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Promoted

VikingUpdate.com

@VikingUpdate

·

59m

Eric Kendricks is out for the #Vikings on Sunday. That's it for the Vikings injuries. Linval Joseph will play

Sucks right? Made the Pro Bowl AND not the injured LB out for the game.
Post #: 1140
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 5:12:24 PM   
Jeff Jesser

In all fairness, when used right (and seems to care) Barr has many more impact plays. Probably not as overall valuable as EK though.
Post #: 1141
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 5:19:40 PM   
Todd M

The thing about it is - Kendricks can disappear, not make any splash plays, get swept out by misdirection etc...and never draws any negativity from posters.
Post #: 1142
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 5:49:48 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Very true. I think he gets a pass because he's been "Johnny Hustle" even when not making plays. You can see Barr coast at times.
Post #: 1143
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 6:14:56 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Promoted

VikingUpdate.com

@VikingUpdate

·

59m

He has played hurt almost all year....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1144
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 6:32:02 PM   
Ricky J

-Chris Tomasson

@christomasson

#Vikings co-offensive line coach Clancy Barone on rookie starting tackle Brian O'Neill: "Some of the so-called experts said that he was going to be like a three-year project or whatever and that has not been the case.''

-
Tim Brown

@TMBScouting

·

2h

I thought for sure he was going to need a red shirt year. Strength was a serious concern. But damn if he hasn’t been OUTSTANDING. He, Reiff, and Elflein should be the only returning starting lineman come next season
Post #: 1145
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 7:01:03 PM   
Todd M

Man I wish there was a guy and we had the draft stock to move up in the draft and shake things up doing it for a premier LT. One really good guard in FA and we are a long way to being set for years.
Post #: 1146
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 7:51:08 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

YMMV.

with the transition tag we are allowed to match barr's best offer and keep him - we even get five days to decide....

has any team ever traded a player during the transition tag process?....

I've seen it multiple times.

Believe.
Post #: 1147
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 7:52:59 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes to your first question.

Believe.
Post #: 1148
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2018 8:35:47 PM   
quote:

-Chris Tomasson

@christomasson

#Vikings co-offensive line coach Clancy Barone on rookie starting tackle Brian O'Neill: "Some of the so-called experts said that he was going to be like a three-year project or whatever and that has not been the case.''

-
Tim Brown

@TMBScouting

·

2h

I thought for sure he was going to need a red shirt year. Strength was a serious concern. But damn if he hasn’t been OUTSTANDING. He, Reiff, and Elflein should be the only returning starting lineman come next season

Well hell, we’ll take whatever we can get when it comes to Offensive line victories.

Make no mistake O’Neill thus far is a victory for us. There is a distinct difference between him and Hill, and even Remmers.

Spiels gets kudos on this, however at least another FA guard would’ve certainly eased the rightful criticism he is getting for the rest of the OLine.
  Post #: 1149
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/22/2018 2:02:34 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Man I wish there was a guy and we had the draft stock to move up in the draft and shake things up doing it for a premier LT. One really good guard in FA and we are a long way to being set for years.

o'neill looks so athletic for an offensive lineman...i think that he is our future left tackle and it wouldn't surprise me if we flipped o'neill and reiff next season to see how that works...i think we select a guard in the 1st and then go rt in the 4th...we need a lb and a te early too....

remmers best position seems to be right tackle and for that reason i think that we could keep him....

we've got aviante collins on ir....

"Collins was the top performer at his position in the 2017 NFL Combine; his official 4.81-second 40-yard dash is the third-fastest time ever by an offensive lineman, trailing only Terron Armstead (4.71 seconds) and Lane Johnson (4.72 seconds) on the all-time list. He also bench pressed 225 pounds 34 times, which tied for the second-best mark among all participants at the Combine.[3]"

Post #: 1150
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode