Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 6:00:19 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Early on, I posted about a trade down-trade up scenario where we get at least two high second rounders. That hinges of course on the number of acceptable prospects. Trouble is, our OL need is so bad that another unexpected "run" on OL that catches Spielman off guard is just not worth the risk. Stay put or at the most trade down 1-2 spots if you are assured the prospects will be there and they are all but equally ranked.

I would still love OL - 21st century TE - OL.

I haven't got bored enough to start studying the draft prospects. But we seriously need a high end G somehow someway.

I'd start courting Saffold asap even if the rules get bent.

It was hypothetical, although high impact type of scenario. There was a study done about high second rounders being the best value overall, but perhaps that was in the era before they slotted salaries.

18th and 50th equates to two 28th picks. Obviously there needs to be trading partners, etc. But we damn well need to hit on the second pick.
Post #: 2376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 6:04:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

After Saffold, it is very slim pickings.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019G.php

Mark Glowinski might be the best available guy to hit the market. His PFF ranking is above average (69.7) But he was not good in Seattle. Took over starting job game 6 for Indy. Indy has a ton of cap space so if they want him back, they have the resources. it would take a massive overpay to get him imo. On a side note, Indy has 140M in cap space and won a playoff game, franchise QB.

After Glow, a lot of average/old/or simply bad options.

Our best bet might be to trade for NE Ted Karras (RFA). But he's never been a starter. Would have to probably give up a third. But desperate times.....

If we can get an OL coach who can actually make individual linemen and the group better, then it is not slim pickings.

Every year young players get released for a myriad of reasons. It's the job of the front office and the coaches to identify them and coach them to be better.

It's the same with the draft.... John Randle, Theilen, RFA Anthony Harris, all undrafted. Or Diggs in the 5th. Yes, they are a minority percentage, but so what.

Go find the players with potential, sign them, and coach them.

C'mon Bill. Do you really think an Oline challenged GM is going to somehow unearth some good olineman in the non-traditional fashion?

If this option was so easy, most teams would have a good oline and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

And the point is, evidence suggests it is not necessarily "slim pickings" as you say. Perhaps you'd throw in the towel on young players before free agency even gets started. I say otherwise, and hope they do sign a player coming off his first contract to battle for a spot vs. an "aged veteran name or bust" methodology.
Post #: 2377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 6:08:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

The idea that Zimmer's best place might be as a 2ndary coach is a twilight zone idea to someone ?

I didn't quite understand your David Boston reference bigo, was that actually a compliment ?

Clearly that is a twilight zone idea to someone.

I don't know how the David Boston reference could have been more clear.
Post #: 2378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 6:17:59 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

The idea that Zimmer's best place might be as a 2ndary coach is a twilight zone idea to someone ?

I didn't quite understand your David Boston reference bigo, was that actually a compliment ?

Clearly that is a twilight zone idea to someone.

I don't know how the David Boston reference could have been more clear.

I hope the 450 Bernardo Harris posts are still in the mix. And the 874 packer>SB posts from a hopeful ring kisser.

Of course if one questions whether David Boston was a compliment, then all bets are off as far as sanity.

Truth be told, I was once banned for an hour of posting that Daunte Culpepper was the only real warrior we had on the field. It was done in 25, 50, 75 etc. size font. Larger and larger font. It finally became unreadable and they pulled the plug on me for a couple of days. I should have been banned more often, but that was the only time.
Post #: 2379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 8:55:27 PM   
marty

I thought it was almost inarguable that 2ndary coach is the best position for Zimmer, many here want him fired. I expected support on that on here.

I thought the David Boston comment was a compliment saying the comment about Zimmer was so spot on, it made my Boston comments not so bad, moved them UP a notch.

Otherwise, if the bigpussy, I mean bigo, would have stated that the comments on Zimmer bumped the comments on Boston DOWN a notch, because he thought the comment on Zimmer was that far off.

< Message edited by marty -- 1/13/2019 8:56:56 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 9:03:45 PM  1 votes
marty

Bill, I live in Wisconsin, so kiss my hopeful ring sucking @ss if mention information about the enemy Packers. I will continue do so, so I recommend you either skip over those posts, or block me.

I will mention the Packers MORE than 847 times, now that I know it seems to have Bill's little titties in a ringer, or ring sucking ringer.

I wasn't the one that brought up Campen or Philbin, but I am not going to not comment on them because Bill is envious of the Packers having rings.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 9:20:48 PM   
Ricky J

Pro Football Rumors

@pfrumors

·

13m

Rob Ryan could be heading to the Bears
Post #: 2382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 9:37:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I thought it was almost inarguable that 2ndary coach is the best position for Zimmer, many here want him fired. I expected support on that on here.

I thought the David Boston comment was a compliment saying the comment about Zimmer was so spot on, it made my Boston comments not so bad, moved them UP a notch.

Otherwise, if the bigpussy, I mean bigo, would have stated that the comments on Zimmer bumped the comments on Boston DOWN a notch, because he thought the comment on Zimmer was that far off.

Your David Boston posts just get continually more credible, relatively.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 1/13/2019 9:41:16 PM >
Post #: 2383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 11:00:20 PM   
marty

So, the bugo, you don't think it's possible that Zimmer's best role is as a defensive backs coach ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 8:11:44 AM   
ronhextall

Interesting point on Fox radio this morning.

The top 4 offenses in the NFL are still in playoffs.

Those four teams average defensive ranking is 16.
Post #: 2385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 8:52:01 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

The Eagles are going to lose this game and it all started with the (IMO, obvious) fake punt. You knew SP wasn't going to go away quietly. That guy is the anti-zimmer. He's aggressive as hell. Honest to God, I looked at my wife as they lined up and said "it's a fake". Nothing about the formation/personnel ect....it was the situation.

Zimmer punts there 100% of the time and we get blown out. I like Zimmer, think he's done some great things but he's not meant for this NFL. Sadly.

Me too but it was when i locked on to #7 is when I said it ...
Post #: 2386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 10:22:32 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Bill, I live in Wisconsin, so kiss my hopeful ring sucking @ss if mention information about the enemy Packers. I will continue do so, so I recommend you either skip over those posts, or block me.

I will mention the Packers MORE than 847 times, now that I know it seems to have Bill's little titties in a ringer, or ring sucking ringer.

I wasn't the one that brought up Campen or Philbin, but I am not going to not comment on them because Bill is envious of the Packers having rings.

Whoo-hoo Cheesehead!
Post #: 2387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 11:54:04 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

The Eagles are going to lose this game and it all started with the (IMO, obvious) fake punt. You knew SP wasn't going to go away quietly. That guy is the anti-zimmer. He's aggressive as hell. Honest to God, I looked at my wife as they lined up and said "it's a fake". Nothing about the formation/personnel ect....it was the situation.

Zimmer punts there 100% of the time and we get blown out. I like Zimmer, think he's done some great things but he's not meant for this NFL. Sadly.

The Eagles botched that IMO. In that scenario you keep your D on the field. If they punt, so what? You still are getting the ball back but with probable worse field position. That's the WORST situation but you have to be prepared. The Saints were in desperation mode already. You had to know they would try something.
Post #: 2388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:12:47 PM   
Ragnarök

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/14/report-vikings-interested-in-gary-kubiak/
Post #: 2389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:13:04 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Eagles botched that IMO. In that scenario you keep your D on the field. If they punt, so what? You still are getting the ball back but with probable worse field position. That's the WORST situation but you have to be prepared. The Saints were in desperation mode already. You had to know they would try something.

I was thinking thatd be a great time for a TO to let NO know you were onto them - iow, maybe scare them away from going through with it

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 1/14/2019 3:06:33 PM >
Post #: 2390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:21:52 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/14/report-vikings-interested-in-gary-kubiak/

I am surprised Zimmer would want somebody with that pedigree on the staff, feel like coaching in waiting hovering over your shoulder.

He likely will take a pass and hope to be the Vikings head coach in 2020.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 1/14/2019 12:24:30 PM >
Post #: 2391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:23:10 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was thinking thatd be a great time for a TO to let NO you were onto them - iow, maybe scare them away from going through with it

I felt like they should have strongly considered taking the penalty. Tough call, but both coaches have a history of moves like that so it was worth considering. Keeping the D on the field was for sure, at a minimum.
Post #: 2392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:31:24 PM   
David F.

This reads a lot like how the Eagles had our defense figured out last year in the NFCCG. I get so envious of teams that pull this type of preparation and execution off.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/13/18179269/rams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

How did L.A. put together such a dominant performance against a run defense that ranked fourth best in rush yards allowed per attempt (3.8) and fifth best in run defense DVOA this season? Anderson and Gurley deserve credit for the romp, but so too does L.A.’s underappreciated offensive line, which submitted one of the best blocking performances by any team this year. The Rams’ run-blocking has been great all year, and in this game they had a secret weapon: They knew what the Cowboys’ defense was going to do before the ball was snapped.

Depending on the alignment of the Cowboys defensive tackles, particularly whether Maliek Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming. If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.

“They have good players, but we just felt scheme-wise we were able to—we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” said Rams center John Sullivan.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:39:41 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

I am surprised Zimmer would want somebody with that pedigree on the staff, feel like coaching in waiting hovering over your shoulder.

Zimmer probably doesn't have a say.

Sounds like an assistant HC /QB coach job with a chance to take over for a fired Zimmer if things don't start out well.
Post #: 2394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:41:40 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was thinking thatd be a great time for a TO to let NO you were onto them - iow, maybe scare them away from going through with it

I felt like they should have strongly considered taking the penalty. Tough call, but both coaches have a history of moves like that so it was worth considering. Keeping the D on the field was for sure, at a minimum.

Yes. You stack the line knowing that the QB/TE guy is on the field. Instruct everyone to play for a fake and fair catch the punt.
Post #: 2395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 12:41:57 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

Zimmer probably doesn't have a say.

Sounds like an assistant HC /QB coach job with a chance to take over for a fired Zimmer if things don't start out well.

I could see that, which causes me to walk down the yellow brick road a littler further and wonder if that would come from the Wilfs or Speilman. Speilman should NOT be around to pick another coach or a QB if next year goes bad.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 1/14/2019 12:44:16 PM >
Post #: 2396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 1:41:53 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Pro Football Rumors

@pfrumors

·

13m

Oh, Yes Please.

That would be wonderful. Nobody will **** them up quicker

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 1:43:38 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Pro Football Rumors

@pfrumors

·

13m

Oh, Yes Please.

That would be wonderful. Nobody will **** them up quicker

Exactly
Get Rexy involved, too, please
They'll be back to the Bobby Douglass years-level in a couple weeks.
Post #: 2398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 1:47:03 PM   
Ragnarök

Its said Kubiak wants no part of head coaching jobs, wants to be an OC...

Not sure why or what capacity/ title Vikes are interested and likely NOT a Zimm suggested hire... seems the organization maybe wants an offensive minded assistant coach and tell Zimmer to "stay in his lane" ???

Pure spec but maybe the rumors of how much Zimm messes with QBs heads is getting the guys who spent so much on KC worried a bit about anther throw away year... hope they remember the offensive line rebuild too!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/12/gary-kubiak-still-wants-to-be-an-offensive-coordinator-could-go-to-jaguars/
Post #: 2399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2019 1:47:49 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

I'm screaming at the TV the second I see the flag TAKE THE PENALTY !!!!!!!
It was the only way they were going to have a shot at keeping the Saints away from that critical first down.
I understand everyone saying he had to decline it, but I would not have.
That decision, and Foles throwing the too-short over-the-top ball to Ertz that ended in the INT, lost that game imo.
If they had gone up 21-0 there, it was over. Even 17-0 woulda been huge.
Post #: 2400
Page:   <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode