Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 1:01:49 AM   
Tom Sykes

Daryl Sloter
‏ @DSloter
7h7 hours ago

Daryl Sloter Retweeted KFAN1003

This is awesome news!!!! Kyle loves both Klint and Gary from his days in Denver. Thrilled they are reuniting

----------------------

Hopefully their experience with both Seimian and Sloter will push Sloter up the ladder.
Post #: 2451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 1:10:35 AM   
Tom Sykes

This article is not up to date and I have no idea how good or bad these guys are but we might have an in if any of them hit FA ...

A look at Broncos impending free agents: Elway facing offensive line rebuild
https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/a-look-at-broncos-impending-free-agents-elway-facing-offensive-line-rebuild/73-614870244
November 15, 2018

" ... Once this season ends, four of the Broncos’ top seven offensive linemen will become unrestricted free agents. The blockers who are about to hit the offensive line market: Matt Paradis, Jared Veldheer, Max Garcia and Billy Turner.

Besides these four free agents, another top offensive lineman, Ron Leary, has an uncertain future after injuries caused him to miss 15 of 32 games the past two seasons and he is due to make a non-guaranteed, $8.5 million next year."
Post #: 2452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 7:10:51 AM  1 votes
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

That Dennison guy has been at it 24 years. A Jets bio on him says "his" offenses have averaged 129 ypg.

Guess that was simply every offense he was involved with. And 129 isn't so much with it stretching back a generation when the league ran more.

If this guy does get hired, he does seem to be a run type of guy. Maybe we can resign Randall McDaniel and play some 90s music.

Right now we are the epitome of square peg - round hole.

Zimmer doesn't strike me as an Erasure fan, but given his W-L record, he might be thinking we all should "give a little respect to" him.
Post #: 2453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 7:19:30 AM   
SoMnFan

Could be worse ... we coulda hired Nathaniel Hackett.
Post #: 2454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 7:27:24 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

That Dennison guy has been at it 24 years. A Jets bio on him says "his" offenses have averaged 129 ypg.

Guess that was simply every offense he was involved with. And 129 isn't so much with it stretching back a generation when the league ran more.

If this guy does get hired, he does seem to be a run type of guy. Maybe we can resign Randall McDaniel and play some 90s music.

Zimmer doesn't strike me as an Erasure fan, but given his W-L record, he might be thinking we all should "give a little respect to" him.

Maybe they should 'refrain...from breaking our hearts...'
Post #: 2455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 8:40:52 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Maybe they should 'refrain...from breaking our hearts...'

I love that song...I suspect I'm in a minority here.
Post #: 2456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 8:44:12 AM   
Very intriguing additions (The Kubiaks)

Going back to the Shanahan Broncos days (Which included Kubiak) I was always impressed with the run blocking schemes they ran, and succeeded with.

They often excelled without the most talented personnel upfront. (We better not count on that though)

Appears the younger Kubiak does have a connection with Stefanski.

I like it!

However this does set up a “HC in waiting” (Gary Kubiak) if we don’t excel...Let’s hope not...
  Post #: 2457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 8:44:51 AM   
ronhextall

Kubiak and Zimmer buds? Seems like a lot of offensive cooks in the Vikings kitchen. The more layers between Zimmer and the offense might be good.

I like the hire.

John Elway is a horrible GM, I heard a Bronco media guy talk about him a year or so ago. He said the Super Bowl team had a lot of players the former GM targeted and drafted. He said Elway has missed on finding a QB a couple times and his drafts have not been good at all. Basically living on his name.

NFL is a 12 month sport, what the Vikings do in rebuilding the line is almost as interesting as the games.
Post #: 2458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 8:56:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Very intriguing additions (The Kubiaks)

Going back to the Shanahan Broncos days (Which included Kubiak) I was always impressed with the run blocking schemes they ran, and succeeded with.

They often excelled without the most talented personnel upfront. (We better not count on that though)

Appears the younger Kubiak does have a connection with Stefanski.

I like it!

However this does set up a “HC in waiting” (Gary Kubiak) if we don’t excel...Let’s hope not...

Not sure health wise he can be a HC.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:01:15 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Daryl Sloter
‏ @DSloter
7h7 hours ago

Daryl Sloter Retweeted KFAN1003

This is awesome news!!!! Kyle loves both Klint and Gary from his days in Denver. Thrilled they are reuniting

----------------------

Hopefully their experience with both Seimian and Sloter will push Sloter up the ladder.

Might keep your eye on this Sloter kid...

Just sayin!!!
  Post #: 2460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:16:58 AM   
Ricky J

Kubiak was slated to become Denver's offensive boss under new head coach Vic Fangio. But an eleventh-hour disconnect in philosophy and staff changes — general manager John Elway wanted a new-age scheme, and didn't want offensive line coach Rick Dennison or Pariani, who he'd fired — prompted the sides to go in a different direction. He had still been contractually bound to the Broncos, but Elway was willing to let him out of the agreement.

"Well, I think that the two sides met and went over offensive philosophies and who the staff was going to be and things broke down," ESPN's Adam Schefter said on 104.3 The Fan. "Now Gary Kubiak is going to Minnesota."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Vikings-hire-Gary-Kubiak-as-offensive-advisor-127829665
Post #: 2461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:36:58 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

I like it.

Feel that heat, Zimmer?

So you think Zimmer is worried Kubiak is going to take his job, too?

I doubt he's worried, but he should be feeling some heat.

He's entering the final year of his deal, there has (apparently) been no talk of an extension and we just brought in another ex-HC for an ambiguous new job.

Has it occurred to nobody that the job is ambiguous not to replace Zimmer, but to replace Stefanski if he fails?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:44:03 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Most of this years playoff teams were league leaders in fewest first downs by rushing.

That doesn't mean everyone has to do it the same way.

Pass well

AND

Run well.

Fix the OLine and this team can roll.

I would also like to add that the Rams beat the Cowboys but RUNNING A LOT. Anderson was killing them. Gurley too. They didn't put all the pressure on Goff to win the game.

And the Patriots depended a lot on the run in their win vs the Chargers as well IIRC. Michel had a lot of TDs.

You have to do both well. The Vikings have one of the Best QBs to run play action which depends on running the ball effectively to sell the fake.

So Zimmer is right in wanting to run the ball more.

And there is not just one path to success in the NFL. You can get there in many different ways.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 1/15/2019 10:11:27 AM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:55:29 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Kubiak hiring? I like it. Stefanski is till running it but he has an experienced and successful OFFENSIVE minded coach to bounce ideas off of etc.

I think Kubiak is coming here because he saw the offense with players like Cousins, Cook, Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph etc and figured they just need to improve the Oline and this team is steamrolling everyone and his experience can do that.

One thing about Shanahan's offense and running attack it was all based on ONE CUT AND GO, no dancing around. Watch Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis highlights and they almost never danced. see hole, cut, run through hole. The Oline just had to open the hole. That's where Kubiak, Stefanski and Co have their work cut out for them.

Post #: 2464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 10:07:01 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like it.

Feel that heat, Zimmer?

He's entering the final year of his deal, there has (apparently) been no talk of an extension and we just brought in another ex-HC for an ambiguous new job.

Has it occurred to nobody that the job is ambiguous not to replace Zimmer, but to replace Stefanski if he fails?

There is ‘0’ chance Kubiak and his family and friends are here to replace Zimmer. Even eventually.

If Stefanski/offense fails that will be on team Kubiak as well. Yes Gary could fill in for another OC head getting lopped off, but if they fail that miserably again - the whole coaching and front office staff will be cauterized, for sure.

This is good pressure to succeed, and fair.
Post #: 2465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 10:10:27 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like it.

Feel that heat, Zimmer?

Here's apparently another one no one has thought of: We are trying to put together the best team possible to get in and win the damn Super Bowl -
Post #: 2466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 10:19:29 AM   
David Levine

Not sure any of the Kubiak takes need to be considered mutually exclusive.
Post #: 2467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 10:21:21 AM   
Ragnarök

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/15/18183108/the-kubiak-package-deal

Gary Kubiak was head coach, Rick Dennison was offensive coordinator, Brian Pariani TE coach, Clancy Barone (current Vikings co-OL coach) was offensive line coach.

I used the term ‘unsettling’ to describe this coaching reunion because although the Broncos won the Super Bowl on the strength of their defense, their offense - which these guys were responsible for - was awful.

In 2015, the Broncos offense was ranked 19th in points and 16th in yards. They were ranked 29th in turnovers, 25th on 3rd down, 28th in passing TDs, and 28th in the red zone. Their combined passing ANY/A (adjusted net yards per attempt) was a lowly 5.14, which would have ranked second-to-last this season, and well below Kirk Cousins’ 7.3 mark this year.

The following year, 2016, they lost Peyton Manning and went with... wait for it... Trevor Siemian at QB - who was the Vikings backup this season and complete dud in preseason.

The offense did not improve.

It ranked 22nd in points, 27th in yards, 28th in rushing yards/attempt, 21st in turnovers, 31st on 3rd down, 26th in the red zone, 21st in passing yards, 22nd in net passing yards/attempt.

They also had two pro-bowl, 1,000 yard receivers that year - Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas. CJ Anderson and Devantae Booker were their RBs. They combined for a mere 3.6 yards/rush. They were 27th in rushing yards that year, despite being 15th in rushing attempts.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Broncos offensive line 24th in 2016 and tied for 20th in 2015. The only bright spot there was Mike Paradis (currently a free agent) who had a breakout year in 2016 and has been good ever since. One can hope that Paradis might be apart of the Kubiak package too, but that remains to be seen. The Broncos just hired one of the best in the business - Mike Munchak - to be offensive line coach, poaching him from the Steelers.
Post #: 2468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 10:36:23 AM   
Ragnarök

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/15/18183511/the-denver-mafia-arrives
Post #: 2469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 10:40:40 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Gary Kubiak was head coach, Rick Dennison was offensive coordinator, Brian Pariani TE coach, Clancy Barone (current Vikings co-OL coach) was offensive line coach.

I used the term ‘unsettling’ to describe this coaching reunion because although the Broncos won the Super Bowl on the strength of their defense, their offense - which these guys were responsible for - was awful.

It wasn't that awful, they still won the Superbowl

The reason it wasn't so good was they primarily used a QB that couldn't throw the ball more than 15 yards with any velocity. That allowed opposing defenses to cheat up to the line of scrimmage and severly limited what the offense could do.

Cousins can sling it a little farther and we have as good as if not better skill position guys than that Broncos team did.

There really isn't that much to fix on this offense. And one more thing. Kevin Stefanski is still going to be the OC, not any of those guys.

Post #: 2470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 10:49:16 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/15/18183511/the-denver-mafia-arrives

And it seems that these hires just muddied the waters on what the Vikings offense will do next season, not clarified it.

ISN'T that the point. Be more unpredictable?

Post #: 2471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 11:06:14 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

It wasn't that awful, they still won the Superbowl

The reason it wasn't so good was they primarily used a QB that couldn't throw the ball more than 15 yards with any velocity. That allowed opposing defenses to cheat up to the line of scrimmage and severly limited what the offense could do.

Cousins can sling it a little farther and we have as good as if not better skill position guys than that Broncos team did.

There really isn't that much to fix on this offense. And one more thing. Kevin Stefanski is still going to be the OC, not any of those guys.

Manning was hurt all year, leg injury, and as said couldn't throw with any velocity. Brock Osweiler started 4 games I think.

The offense was pretty bad. But mostly due to QB issues.

But just the year before it was very very good.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 12:20:58 PM   
Tom Sykes

Mike Garafolo
Verified account @MikeGarafolo
Stunner: The #Colts are letting OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo go, sources say. That line made tremendous leaps this season. But Frank Reich wants his own guy. DeGuglielmo was the only offensive coach Josh McDaniels had hired. Reich is actually recommending him to other coaches.

------------

At this point ... Barone returning as OL coach is about the only 'whatever' change/non-change for me. I was hoping for someone 'coveted'.
Post #: 2473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 12:41:01 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Mike Garafolo
Stunner: The #Colts are letting OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo go, sources say. That line made tremendous leaps this season. But Frank Reich wants his own guy. DeGuglielmo was the only offensive coach Josh McDaniels had hired. Reich is actually recommending him to other coaches.

------------

At this point ... Barone returning as OL coach is about the only 'whatever' change/non-change for me. I was hoping for someone 'coveted'.

Do we still send limos for people ? Cause if we do ........ there better be one on the way for that dude.
Protecting Luck took them from horrible to pretty good in a hurry.
Someone knew what they were doing.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 1/15/2019 12:42:06 PM >
Post #: 2474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 12:47:11 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Mike Garafolo

------------

Move Barone to Quality buffet control coach and get this guy.

Post #: 2475
Page:   <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode