Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 3:47:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It seems that Kubiak offenses emphasize the running attack. He had Foster at Houston where he had four thousand yard plus seasons.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 1/15/2019 3:49:02 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 4:10:23 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Mike Garafolo
Verified account @MikeGarafolo
Stunner: The #Colts are letting OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo go, sources say. That line made tremendous leaps this season. But Frank Reich wants his own guy. DeGuglielmo was the only offensive coach Josh McDaniels had hired. Reich is actually recommending him to other coaches.

------------

At this point ... Barone returning as OL coach is about the only 'whatever' change/non-change for me. I was hoping for someone 'coveted'.

Do we still send limos for people ? Cause if we do ........ there better be one on the way for that dude.
Protecting Luck took them from horrible to pretty good in a hurry.
Someone knew what they were doing.

Yes, send the limo.
Post #: 2477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 6:59:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Most of this years playoff teams were league leaders in fewest first downs by rushing.

That doesn't mean everyone has to do it the same way.

Pass well

AND

Run well.

Fix the OLine and this team can roll.

I would also like to add that the Rams beat the Cowboys but RUNNING A LOT. Anderson was killing them. Gurley too. They didn't put all the pressure on Goff to win the game.

And the Patriots depended a lot on the run in their win vs the Chargers as well IIRC. Michel had a lot of TDs.

You have to do both well. The Vikings have one of the Best QBs to run play action which depends on running the ball effectively to sell the fake.

So Zimmer is right in wanting to run the ball more.

And there is not just one path to success in the NFL. You can get there in many different ways.

Run and pass eh? Wow, never knew that
Post #: 2478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 7:03:06 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/15/18183108/the-kubiak-package-deal

Gary Kubiak was head coach, Rick Dennison was offensive coordinator, Brian Pariani TE coach, Clancy Barone (current Vikings co-OL coach) was offensive line coach.

I used the term ‘unsettling’ to describe this coaching reunion because although the Broncos won the Super Bowl on the strength of their defense, their offense - which these guys were responsible for - was awful.

In 2015, the Broncos offense was ranked 19th in points and 16th in yards. They were ranked 29th in turnovers, 25th on 3rd down, 28th in passing TDs, and 28th in the red zone. Their combined passing ANY/A (adjusted net yards per attempt) was a lowly 5.14, which would have ranked second-to-last this season, and well below Kirk Cousins’ 7.3 mark this year.

The following year, 2016, they lost Peyton Manning and went with... wait for it... Trevor Siemian at QB - who was the Vikings backup this season and complete dud in preseason.

The offense did not improve.

It ranked 22nd in points, 27th in yards, 28th in rushing yards/attempt, 21st in turnovers, 31st on 3rd down, 26th in the red zone, 21st in passing yards, 22nd in net passing yards/attempt.

They also had two pro-bowl, 1,000 yard receivers that year - Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas. CJ Anderson and Devantae Booker were their RBs. They combined for a mere 3.6 yards/rush. They were 27th in rushing yards that year, despite being 15th in rushing attempts.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Broncos offensive line 24th in 2016 and tied for 20th in 2015. The only bright spot there was Mike Paradis (currently a free agent) who had a breakout year in 2016 and has been good ever since. One can hope that Paradis might be apart of the Kubiak package too, but that remains to be seen. The Broncos just hired one of the best in the business - Mike Munchak - to be offensive line coach, poaching him from the Steelers.

Elway dishing a bad OL and an unknown QB to them. No surprise there.
Post #: 2479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 7:31:13 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

Another link to the Vikings as a potential TE coach following along with Kubiak:

Brian Pariani, coached in the NFL for 27 years, collecting four Super Bowl rings, three with the 49ers and one with the Denver Broncos. He spent the majority of his NFL time working with tight ends.

- pretty good pedigree

https://www.profootballhofacademy.com/2018/08/30/meet-pro-football-hall-of-fame-academy-coach-brian-pariani/

Not sure how this draft falls, but would not be upset if we got Noah Fant at 18 if a reach for an OL or a good trade back is not available. He is a match up nightmare for opposing defenses (unless you only want to run the ball- then not so much as he is not known for blocking).

Moreover, a field stretching tight end with + athleticism is nothing without some pass blocking and good QB play.........

so much to think about this offseason.

I've also been on the Noah Fant bandwagon.

I know everyone wants an OL guy, but guys like Fant I believe are even more scarce. I know Rudy has been decent, but we need some weapons! Rudy isn't getting any younger, and I wasn't impressed with Conklin. Speed kills. I see guys like Kelci and fume at how dynamic they make an offense.

I'm wishing for Fant, but if they go OL with the 1st, I hope they get Ford. But my ideal scenario would be to grab Fant, get Lindstrom (Boston College) or McCoy (TX A&M) in the 2nd, and pickup a nice FA Guard/Center.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 2480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 8:12:10 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Kubiak hiring? I like it. Stefanski is till running it but he has an experienced and successful OFFENSIVE minded coach to bounce ideas off of etc.

I think Kubiak is coming here because he saw the offense with players like Cousins, Cook, Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph etc and figured they just need to improve the Oline and this team is steamrolling everyone and his experience can do that.

One thing about Shanahan's offense and running attack it was all based on ONE CUT AND GO, no dancing around. Watch Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis highlights and they almost never danced. see hole, cut, run through hole. The Oline just had to open the hole. That's where Kubiak, Stefanski and Co have their work cut out for them.

or he found a team that will also hire his son and his crony buddies

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:08:02 PM   
Pager

I finally had time to look up the 2014 Broncos offense. #2 in the NFL in scoring. #4 in yards. #4 in passing and #15 in rushing.

I'd be ok with that.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:15:49 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Mike Garafolo
Verified account @MikeGarafolo
Stunner: The #Colts are letting OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo go, sources say. That line made tremendous leaps this season. But Frank Reich wants his own guy. DeGuglielmo was the only offensive coach Josh McDaniels had hired. Reich is actually recommending him to other coaches.

------------

At this point ... Barone returning as OL coach is about the only 'whatever' change/non-change for me. I was hoping for someone 'coveted'.

Do we still send limos for people ? Cause if we do ........ there better be one on the way for that dude.
Protecting Luck took them from horrible to pretty good in a hurry.
Someone knew what they were doing.

Yes, send the limo.

Hell, send the limo full of cheerleaders.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/15/2019 9:24:12 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

Another link to the Vikings as a potential TE coach following along with Kubiak:

Brian Pariani, coached in the NFL for 27 years, collecting four Super Bowl rings, three with the 49ers and one with the Denver Broncos. He spent the majority of his NFL time working with tight ends.

- pretty good pedigree

https://www.profootballhofacademy.com/2018/08/30/meet-pro-football-hall-of-fame-academy-coach-brian-pariani/

Not sure how this draft falls, but would not be upset if we got Noah Fant at 18 if a reach for an OL or a good trade back is not available. He is a match up nightmare for opposing defenses (unless you only want to run the ball- then not so much as he is not known for blocking).

Moreover, a field stretching tight end with + athleticism is nothing without some pass blocking and good QB play.........

I know everyone wants an OL guy, but guys like Fant I believe are even more scarce. I know Rudy has been decent, but we need some weapons! Rudy isn't getting any younger, and I wasn't impressed with Conklin. Speed kills. I see guys like Kelci and fume at how dynamic they make an offense.

I'm wishing for Fant, but if they go OL with the 1st, I hope they get Ford. But my ideal scenario would be to grab Fant, get Lindstrom (Boston College) or McCoy (TX A&M) in the 2nd, and pickup a nice FA Guard/Center.

All our wishing and scheming will all be dependent on who other teams take. We all agree the OL needs help, but if all G's with an 18th pick are gone we either need to look elsewhere or trade down. If a TE worth an 18th pick exists I would certainly take him. I believe Rudy should be cut for cap reasons anyway. If a top TE and top G exist at 18 the choice will be difficult. It will depend on who they think will be there in the 2nd round and they can't afford to be wrong. Still we need 1 G via FA, a depth OL in FA and a G in the top 2 rounds with another OL in the top 3 with the other top 3 pick being a TE.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 12:47:51 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

- pretty good pedigree

All our wishing and scheming will all be dependent on who other teams take. We all agree the OL needs help, but if all G's with an 18th pick are gone we either need to look elsewhere or trade down. If a TE worth an 18th pick exists I would certainly take him. I believe Rudy should be cut for cap reasons anyway. If a top TE and top G exist at 18 the choice will be difficult. It will depend on who they think will be there in the 2nd round and they can't afford to be wrong. Still we need 1 G via FA, a depth OL in FA and a G in the top 2 rounds with another OL in the top 3 with the other top 3 pick being a TE.

i'm thinking that spielman will bring rudolph and griffen's contracts down to about half what they are for the season - i hope that we don't extend them as we did with robison et al.....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 6:32:46 AM   
Bill Jandro

The QB coach is Klint Kubiak, who has all of six games NFL experience in that role.

Kubiak for a guy that isn’t going to be a coordinator, it sure as hell sounds like he’s getting his guys to coordinate and install an offense.

I wonder what Stefanski is thinking...

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 7:22:08 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The QB coach is Klint Kubiak, who has all of six games NFL experience in that role.

Kubiak for a guy that isn’t going to be a coordinator, it sure as hell sounds like he’s getting his guys to coordinate and install an offense.

what george edwards is to the defense, stefanski will be to the offense....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 8:53:47 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Kubiak hiring? I like it. Stefanski is till running it but he has an experienced and successful OFFENSIVE minded coach to bounce ideas off of etc.

I think Kubiak is coming here because he saw the offense with players like Cousins, Cook, Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph etc and figured they just need to improve the Oline and this team is steamrolling everyone and his experience can do that.

One thing about Shanahan's offense and running attack it was all based on ONE CUT AND GO, no dancing around. Watch Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis highlights and they almost never danced. see hole, cut, run through hole. The Oline just had to open the hole. That's where Kubiak, Stefanski and Co have their work cut out for them.

Or Both.

I mean if Jacksonville were available which team is more appealing?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 9:39:46 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Yeah I’m sure Spielman’s priority was Geneology over offensive philosophy.

They probably wanted a veteran OC in an advisors role to SUPPORT Stefanski, and also needing a QB, TE, and maybe OL coach ... agreed to bring in FC United Kubiak ... instead of an advisor and 3 unconnected subcoaches that would have to be integrated anyway.

I would say Junior has the fewest credentials but since they already had him on staff ... I’m sure they are good with him. (shewt for all we know we might have hired Junior first and then agreed to bring in Dad with a lift chair and hot nanny for the offensive meeting rooms). Maybe.
Post #: 2489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 9:48:00 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

I like it.

Feel that heat, Zimmer?

So you think Zimmer is worried Kubiak is going to take his job, too?

I doubt he's worried, but he should be feeling some heat.

He's entering the final year of his deal, there has (apparently) been no talk of an extension and we just brought in another ex-HC for an ambiguous new job.

Has it occurred to nobody that the job is ambiguous not to replace Zimmer, but to replace Stefanski if he fails?

To respond to you and Ricky, I don't consider Kubiak a replacement.

But I'm happy to have some veteran eyes on what's happening with team and particularly the Offense.

Mostly I like someone there who isn't afraid to tell Zimmer that when you Turtle, the result is generally sinking like a stone.
Post #: 2490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 10:29:08 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

what george edwards is to the defense, stefanski will be to the offense....

Probably the reverse of that – Stefanski/Zimmer and Edwards/Kubiak – if you feel the need to simplify it into a pre-existing template.

I am sure Kubiak will have a defined planning role, and maybe give in-game feedback (I hope) ...

but the game day offense is Stefanski's to call, make adjustments, and (unlike Edwards) be ultimately responsible for.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/16/2019 10:31:37 AM >
Post #: 2491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 10:38:03 AM   
David F.

All sorts of names to point the fingers of blame at when things go wrong! It feels like a GM and HC are in their final years of their contracts and are nervous...

Priefer leaving makes more and more sense by the day. He knew he was going to be an in-season firing if things went wrong.

< Message edited by David F. -- 1/16/2019 10:39:39 AM >

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 12:13:36 PM   
Ricky J

I have to believe that any move we've made was made for no other reason than be a great football team.

It's a losers mentality to hire anyone other than win now. Are we really thinking ahead of next season with what ifs in mind?
Post #: 2493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 12:17:51 PM   
Tom Sykes

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
1h1 hour ago

The #Jaguars are expected to hire former #Vikings OC John DeFilippo as their new offensive coordinator, sources say. Doug Marrone took his time with such a key hire, but when the deal gets done, he’ll have his guy.
Post #: 2494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 12:22:14 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

I have to believe that any move we've made was made for no other reason than be a great football team.

It's a losers mentality to hire anyone other than win now. Are we really thinking ahead of next season with what ifs in mind?

I hope those in charge are not, but I am. I got the time.
Post #: 2495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 12:24:58 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

I hope those in charge are not, but I am. I got the time.

Fair
Post #: 2496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 12:27:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

Kubiak still has health issues. He can't really be a coordinator or HC anymore as he can't work those hours per doctor's orders to prevent a major stroke---he is an advisor as he has had mini strokes multiple times.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 12:35:37 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

The #Jaguars are expected to hire former #Vikings OC John DeFilippo as their new offensive coordinator, sources say. Doug Marrone took his time with such a key hire, but when the deal gets done, he’ll have his guy.

And the Jags offense will sputter a plenty under Flips Expert tutelage

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 1:03:48 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

That offense will progress only if they get a QB that is competent.

I was high on the Flip hire. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 1:30:28 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

That offense will progress only if they get a QB that is competent.

I was high on the Flip hire. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

How is that possible.
?

This team was a horror show getting blown out in buffalo under defilipo

He sucked.
Period.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2500
Page:   <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode