Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 1:50:31 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
1h1 hour ago

The #Jaguars are expected to hire former #Vikings OC John DeFilippo as their new offensive coordinator, sources say. Doug Marrone took his time with such a key hire, but when the deal gets done, he’ll have his guy.

And the Jags offense will sputter a plenty under Flips Expert tutelage

That offense will progress only if they get a QB that is competent.

I was high on the Flip hire. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

How is that possible.
?

This team was a horror show getting blown out in buffalo under defilipo

He sucked.
Period.

A) Oline
B) Oline
C) Oline
D) Zimmer

The offense performed worse at home under Stef against the Bears than on the road under Flip. Cook missed significant time during the mid season.

If our talent on the oline doesn't improve, Kubiak and Stef are not going to make a difference.

It does not surprise me at all that he was out of coaching for only a minute.

It could very well have been the wrong guy for this job to pair with Zimmer, but that doesn't change my opinion that he is a good coach and I expect him to do well as an OC.

You can call me on it in 3 years if he's flamed out.

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/16/2019 1:53:47 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 1:53:27 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

The #Jaguars are expected to hire former #Vikings OC John DeFilippo as their new offensive coordinator, sources say. Doug Marrone took his time with such a key hire, but when the deal gets done, he’ll have his guy.

Eagles did well because Doug Pederson is a good coach and Frank Reich was the OC. Foles sucked shit at first and then got better.

Pederson got more out of Foles this year and Foles is probably going to cash in as a result. Eagles made the playoffs and won a game
Reich went on to be Head coach of the Colts and they went from recent doormat to wild card team also winning a game in the playoffs.
Flip came to Minnesota and turned a NFCCG offense into a sputtering mess. Given a decent QB, RB, WRs and albeit a shitty Oline he did nothing to improve that unit and ignored the HC and did his own thing despite its weekly failures and his inability to adapt.

I'm sorry, Flip was NOT the reason for Foles success in Philadelphia last year. That was Pederson and Reich.

Flip road their coattails.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 1:55:49 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

Eagles did well because Doug Pederson is a good coach and Frank Reich was the OC. Foles sucked shit at first and then got better.

Pederson got more out of Foles this year and Foles is probably going to cash in as a result. Eagles made the playoffs and won a game
Reich went on to be Head coach of the Colts and they went from recent doormat to wild card team also winning a game in the playoffs.
Flip came to Minnesota and turned a NFCCG offense into a sputtering mess. Given a decent QB, RB, WRs and albeit a shitty Oline he did nothing to improve that unit and ignored the HC and did his own thing despite its weekly failures and his inability to adapt.

I'm sorry, Flip was NOT the reason for Foles success in Philadelphia last year. That was Pederson and Reich.

See my post above.

I never gave him credit for any of those things. But you do forget to mention that Wentz took a HUGE step back this year. Flip was in charge of the Eagles redzone offense, and they were excellent.

Time will tell. The ball don't lie.

Post #: 2503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 2:01:59 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

See my post above.

I never gave him credit for any of those things. But you do forget to mention that Wentz took a HUGE step back this year. Flip was in charge of the Eagles redzone offense, and they were excellent.

Frank Reich was the OC and moved to The Colts who took a big step forward this year.

Coincidence? I think not.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 2:17:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

See my post above.

Frank Reich was the OC and moved to The Colts who took a big step forward this year.

Mostly due to the O-Line coach - that they just got rid of because he wasn't Reich's guy...
Post #: 2505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 2:50:54 PM   
Trekgeekscott

So according to Pager and DL

Flip is a better coach that Frank Reich.

Sure. Ok. Got it.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Post #: 2506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 2:53:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The QB coach is Klint Kubiak, who has all of six games NFL experience in that role.

Kubiak for a guy that isn’t going to be a coordinator, it sure as hell sounds like he’s getting his guys to coordinate and install an offense.

I wonder what Stefanski is thinking...

I thought I heard that young Kubiak worked here for the Vikings before and that he and Stefanski are tight.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:02:02 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

See my post above.

Imagine that, Luck is better than Brissett.
Post #: 2508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:15:14 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ian Rapoport
1h1 hour ago

See my post above.

Imagine that, Luck is better than Brissett.

Imagine that, Reich is better than Flip

Post #: 2509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:18:17 PM   
Pager

quote:

Sure. Ok. Got it.

That's what I said

If you think Flip is the reason our offense tanked, or is a bad coach, I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong. You could be right.

My opinion at this point is different.

No big deal.

Post #: 2510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:21:28 PM   
Pager

I've posted my praises of Reich. Loved him going for the 2 to win (I woulda played for the tie, but I loved the aggression and how he stood by it).

I think Reich is a fantastic coach. That is not mutually exclusive to Flip being a good coach.

The investment in the oline and Luck being healthy, and a huge step forward by their D, including their DROY LB kinda helped with their improvement too.

I liked Reich when they were 1-5. Same coach, different results at the point.

But whatever.

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/16/2019 3:22:39 PM >

Post #: 2511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:22:04 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Sure. Ok. Got it.

That's what I said

If you think Flip is the reason our offense tanked, or is a bad coach, I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong. You could be right.

My opinion at this point is different.

No big deal.

Flip is not the sole reason this offense tanked. but he was a significant reason for it. Stubborn, slow to adapt and predictable offense made worse by the Oline problems (death of Sparano, Injuries, lack of talent and shitty scheme).

I am not sold on Stefanski but the one thing I can give him credit for is actually beating teams that we should beat handily (Detroit and Miami). Now he has to up his game. become more unpredictable and beat the better teams as well. Score 20 and this defense can win you most games. His goal should be 30.

Post #: 2512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:26:38 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

I've posted my praises of Reich. Loved him going for the 2 to win (I woulda played for the tie, but I loved the aggression and how he stood by it).

I think Reich is a fantastic coach. That is not mutually exclusive to Flip being a good coach.

The investment in the oline and Luck being healthy, and a huge step forward by their D, including their DROY LB kinda helped with their improvement too.

I liked Reich when they were 1-5. Same coach, different results at the point.

But whatever.

He got his team to rebound from 1-5 to the playoffs and win there as well.

I did not see Flip respond that well to adversity. You are right that it is not mutually exclusive. I think people looked at Defilipo as the next Mcvay and we got the next Steckle imho.

He may prove me wrong, but in the end he was not a good fit here. He wasn't ready to be OC or couldn't handle the adversity once Sparano died. Perhaps it was too much, I don't know. but in the end Flip failed here. and until he proves me wrong (which is entirely possible) I will believe that he was not the reason for Foles success in the playoffs last year. I will believe it was more Reich and Pederson.

Post #: 2513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:46:18 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Sure. Ok. Got it.

That might be the worst reading comprehension ever...
Post #: 2514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 3:52:09 PM   
David Levine

Also odd to compare a head coach (who has control of everything) with an offensive coordinator (with a very stubborn head coach above him).
Post #: 2515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 4:23:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Flip was an offensive coordinator in Cleveland, but he only lasted for one year there, too. In his defense, the head coach got fired and they cleaned house.

Listening to him speak on the radio, it sounds like he is very knowledgeable and intelligent. The fact that he landed on his feet so quickly with a new coordinator position indicates to me that he interviews well. I hope that he does well. I suspect he might have been a bit of a scapegoat (our offensive line had a lot of issues) but the fact that he got fired during the season indicates to me that he didn't get along well with Zimmer. I do believe that he was a bit stubborn about pushing a passing attack at the expense of the running attack.

The Jaguars need to go a different direction with their quarterback. I don't know if they will or not, though.

I believe Frank Reich deserves a lot of credit for turning the team around. I remember watching the Colts lose in overtime to the Texans in Indianapolis. He could have played it safe near the end of the game, but he opted to go for it on fourth and short near midfield and they failed to convert the first down. The Texans had just enough time to score and win. I thought he had a lot of guts. The team was not doing well and he was being very aggressive and his style obviously worked as the season progressed.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 4:33:57 PM   
bohumm

Flip can't be judged fully because of the OL and possibly the QB, who himself can't be judged fully because of the OL and possibly Flip. Flip's tenure here raised an eyebrow on both him and Zimmer, but there are too many variables to say definitively that Flip sucks.

YMMV, but IDGAF.
Post #: 2517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 4:39:13 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The QB coach is Klint Kubiak, who has all of six games NFL experience in that role.

Kubiak for a guy that isn’t going to be a coordinator, it sure as hell sounds like he’s getting his guys to coordinate and install an offense.

I wonder what Stefanski is thinking...

That is what I have read too and that Stefanski may have been heading to Denver too. Gary Kubiak wanted a role in Denver offensive selecting the offensive players, but was denied that by Elway and that's his reason for leaving. I never knew that cutting back on work is related in any way to a stroke. I can see that if you have had a bunch of mini strokes, it might effect your decision making. I think he will do well here. He might not want to do the grind of coaching, but will be involved in selecting the players, developing technique, plan games and strategies and coaching the coaches.

I thought I heard that young Kubiak worked here for the Vikings before and that he and Stefanski are tight.
Post #: 2518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 4:54:01 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Flip can't be judged fully because of the OL and possibly the QB, who himself can't be judged fully because of the OL and possibly Flip. Flip's tenure here raised an eyebrow on both him and Zimmer, but there are too many variables to say definitively that Flip sucks.

YMMV, but IDGAF.

Bingo.

Anyone that "knows" should be running an NFL team. Our NFL team. Cuz our FO got it wrong too.

Post #: 2519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 5:18:00 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

Flip came to Minnesota and turned a NFCCG offense into a sputtering mess. Given a decent QB, RB, WRs and albeit a shitty Oline [nice of you to throw that in there as you speed on by] he did nothing to improve that unit and ignored the HC and did his own thing despite its weekly failures and his inability to adapt.

If this team doesn't turn it around this next year the bold is what most people will remember about Zimmer, but under a slightly different context, when he doesn't work here any more.

Tough guy image gone bad.

Not one thing he said in public about needing to run the ball had a positive effect. That needs to be considered when we think about his ability to lead.
Post #: 2520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 5:35:07 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Too many posts to read back on since the Kubiak thing so forgive me if I’m not covering new ground here. But here’s hw I see it working.

Kubiak’s hiring is basically Zimmer checking out of the offense process completely. Zimmer as head coach obviously retains sort of ‘Football CEO’ status. But on a daily operational level, he doesn’t want anything to do with offense any more. That’s where Kubiak comes in. Kubiak will be sort of head coach of offense. In other words, what would normally be the relationship between head coach and OC will instead be OC and Kubiak, with Zimmer saying “Leave me the hell out of it”.

So while a normal org chart would have head coach on top with two lines forked down to the coordinators, it will now be Zimmer, with a line down to DC, and sort of a dotted horizontal line to Kubiak, and Kubiak will have a line down to OC.

Is that about it?
Post #: 2521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 5:41:30 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Too many posts to read back on since the Kubiak thing so forgive me if I’m not covering new ground here. But here’s hw I see it working.

Kubiak’s hiring is basically Zimmer checking out of the offense process completely. Zimmer as head coach obviously retains sort of ‘Football CEO’ status. But on a daily operational level, he doesn’t want anything to do with offense any more. That’s where Kubiak comes in. Kubiak will be sort of head coach of offense. In other words, what would normally be the relationship between head coach and OC will instead be OC and Kubiak, with Zimmer saying “Leave me the hell out of it”.

So while a normal org chart would have head coach on top with two lines forked down to the coordinators, it will now be Zimmer, with a line down to DC, and sort of a dotted horizontal line to Kubiak, and Kubiak will have a line down to OC.

Is that about it?

It's as good of a take as anything I've read.

And I'm excited about it.

Post #: 2522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 5:45:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Is that about it?

I hope that's exactly it.
Post #: 2523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 5:51:24 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It's good if Zimmer knows his limitations. He has always brought in former head coaches to help him with the offense, starting with Norv. I like that about him. He delegates authority. That's what successful managers do who are not bound by their egos. It's the same with special teams. I don't believe he was too proactive with the special teams. Releasing our rookie kicker might have been Zimmer, though.

Post #: 2524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/16/2019 5:58:18 PM   
Ricky J

I just got back from going to the store. Ch 82 & 88 are on commercial and I want to listen to sports not music. I know there's something close by and I land on "Straight Outta Vegas" by Fox Sports Radio.

They're talking prop bets on the Super Bowl, etc, etc. I don't know the context but this guy goes, "We've got the four best coaches left right now." I"m not sure if it was his partner or what but then a guy goes "I actually got Zimmer in the top four"

OK. Wouldn't that be nice

I love Karl's take.
Post #: 2525
Page:   <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode