Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 2:45:12 PM   
SoMnFan

Had to laugh … Koivu came within a fraction of chipping that one over the yawning 6 by 4
Would have been so appropos

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 476
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 2:45:49 PM   
SoMnFan

At least now Koivu has his "November goal" out of the way, a little early.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 477
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 3:10:11 PM   
TJSweens

Just so damn sad!

'Miracle on Ice' player Mark Pavelich found incompetent to stand trial
A judge suspended the assault case against the 1980 Olympic hockey star.
By Pam Louwagie and Paul Walsh Star Tribune Staff Writers OCTOBER 28, 2019 — 3:00PM

GRAND MARAIS, MINN. – A player on the 1980 “Miracle on Ice” U.S. Olympic gold-winning hockey team was found incompetent to stand trial in a criminal case involving charges that he beat a friend with a metal pole.

The case against Mark Pavelich, 61, of Lutsen, Minn., was suspended while Cook County authorities will petition to have Pavelich civilly committed to treatment.

In a hearing late Monday morning, district Judge Michael Cuzzo told Pavelich that a psychologist’s report “indicates you need some assistance to fully understand” the criminal proceedings.

Pavelich was booked into the Cook County jail on Aug. 15 after friend James T. Miller, 63, told authorities he was struck with a 3- to 4-foot-long metal pole by Pavelich after returning from a day of fishing to the hockey star’s home down a dirt road near Deer Yard Lake. Pavelich had accused Miller of “spiking his beer,” the criminal complaint read.

Miller, who’s been Pavelich’s neighbor for 20 years, suffered cracked ribs, a bruised kidney and a fracture to one of his vertebrae, the charges detailed. The beating also left bruises on his arms and legs and a large mark across his back.

Pavelich was charged with second- and third-degree assault, possession of an illegal shotgun and possessing a gun with a missing serial number.

Wearing a black and white striped jail suit, his hands cuffed, Pavelich sat quietly during the hearing in the courtroom with windows overlooking Lake Superior.

Prosecutors asked to raise his bail from $250,000 to $5 million, citing a “significant risk to public safety,” based on the psychologist’s report.

Defense attorney Christopher Stocke disagreed and said that Pavelich would not have the means to bail himself out at the lower bail level.

Cuzzo set the bail at $500,000 and required the county proceed promptly with civil commitment proceedings so that Pavelich could get help.

The psychologist’s report found that Pavelich is unable to demonstrate a rational, reasonable degree of understanding of basic legal proceedings and requires “intensive psychiatric treatment with neuroleptic medications,” according to the judge’s order.

The psychologist’s opinion was that Pavelich would present a “direct threat of harm and danger to others” if released because he would not voluntarily follow treatment recommendations.

Pavelich’s sister, brother, mother and other family and friends were in the courtroom Monday to offer their support.

His sister, Jean Gevik, has said his family is convinced that “all the concussions and the blows he had” in the National Hockey League left Pavelich suffering from CTE, or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease that has been linked to erratic behavior and deaths among hockey and football players and others in sports that inflict trauma to the head.

Sitting in the courtroom awaiting the hearing, Gevik called the case “heartbreaking.”

“He’s been an amazing brother. Fun. Loving,” she said. “This has been a total change.”

Gevik and other family members said they started seeing changes in Pavelich a few years ago. They have been trying for some time to get help for him, family members said, but he has refused, believing there is nothing wrong.

Gevik said that Herb Brooks, Team USA’s coach at the 1980 Olympic Games in Lake Placid, N.Y., and later in the NHL with the New York Rangers, once recalled that Pavelich had one especially severe head injury that could have ended his life.

“All the research is out there about CTE,” she said. “This should not be a surprise here.”

Pavelich, a center who starred for Eveleth High School and the University of Minnesota Duluth, assisted on Mike Eruzione’s winning goal against the Soviets in the gold medal game. Team USA’s story was turned into the hit movie “Miracle” in 2004.

Pavelich played five seasons with the Rangers. He joined the Minnesota North Stars in 1986-87, but only for 12 games. After a brief pro stint in Italy, he was out of the game before a career-ending two-game stint with the San Jose Sharks in 1991-92.

Away from the game, Pavelich has been a virtual recluse. In 2012, his 44-year-old wife, Kara, died in an accidental fall from a second-story balcony at their home. Two years later, he sold his gold medal for $262,900 in an auction, explaining he wanted to provide financial security for his adult daughter.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 478
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 3:15:00 PM   
SoMnFan

Horrible stuff.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 479
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 3:35:59 PM   
TJSweens

And in the realm of no good deed goes unpunished, Mayhew comes up, scores a couple of goals and gets sent back down because Fiala is ready to play.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 480
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 3:38:34 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

And in the realm of no good deed goes unpunished, Mayhew comes up, scores a couple of goals and gets sent back down because Fiala is ready to play.

unreal

How about sending someone down THAT DOESNT SCORE ??????????????????????

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 481
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 3:40:43 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

unreal

I don't know. They have so many options that way that it was probably easier to send down the guy that scores.

Post #: 482
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 3:53:16 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

unreal

I don't know. They have so many options that way that it was probably easier to send down the guy that scores.

I don't understand. I guess he will be back because he does put shots on goal every game.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/28/2019 3:54:16 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 483
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 4:29:41 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

unreal

Just wow.
Post #: 484
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/28/2019 6:07:26 PM   
twinsfan

The psychologist’s report found that Pavelich is unable to demonstrate a rational, reasonable degree of understanding of basic legal proceedings and requires “intensive psychiatric treatment with neuroleptic medications,” according to the judge’s order.

Trump should be similarily diagnosed. But I digress.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 485
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/29/2019 2:51:13 PM   
SoMnFan

6 of our next 7 on the road
Are we home for the last two months of the freaking year, or what?
I mean, WTF?

Our "scoring" leaders …
Hunt with 6 points
Hunt with 4 goals
Dumba with 5 assists.

Wow …...

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 10/29/2019 2:57:03 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 486
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/29/2019 8:19:53 PM   
stfrank

2-0 good guys after 1 period in Dallas tonight....a nice start.
Post #: 487
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/29/2019 10:17:18 PM   
SoMnFan

What does it feel like to get bent over in front of that many people?
Zucker Soucy Brodin Greeneay and Dumba should have to walk to the hotel.
I’ve never seen a professional team that rattled.
You are an embarrassment to hockey.

And btw. Compared to Benn, Marchand is saint-like.
The fact no one kills him on ice is puzzling.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 488
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 7:13:13 AM   
stfrank

As soon as we got that 3rd goal in the 2nd we went into prevent mode and naturally gave up a goal at the end of the 2nd. I knew we were doomed than, just a matter of how bad it would be. I didn't bother watching, but 6-3 lose sounds about right for this group.......
Post #: 489
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 7:18:03 AM   
SoMnFan

Yep. Texted my crew as soon as it was 3-1... said ….. "we lose by 3".
When a dim bulb like me knows whats coming, that's sad.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 490
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 7:19:47 AM   
SoMnFan

At least our scorer Zucker got one.
Good thing.
He then Gave up 3, but …. got one, so everyone at KFAN is happy.

Oh, and before Stalock takes the hit for that debacle? It would have been 9-3 without him.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 491
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 11:33:10 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I don't want to jinx it so I'm tapping on wood while I write this, but I MIGHT be watching a Wild game from the press box in the near future. Stay tuned.

I apparently jinxed it. Here's the story.

I pitched an idea to the Wild because I want to do a series of articles about those behind-the-scenes jobs in the world of sports that people don't know much about, and I wanted to start the series with an article on the people who work in the penalty boxes at NHL games. You see them with their clipboards, diligently recording the time of every infraction, and supposedly all of the other details, (even though all of that information is recorded in the scorer's box as well). I thought it would be fun to talk to someone who holds that job and hear a few stories about players and what they say and do while they sit in repentence (or not) for their bad deeds. Most of the employees who sit with their clipboards are old geezers, so I don't figure they're expected to handle an unruly player.

The media contact at the Wild was very upbeat about my pitch, although she said that the NHL regulates who is in the penalty box and that because I am not certified by them, I wouldn't be able to watch a game FROM the penalty box. So she said, stay tuned. If the league approves my ability to interview their employee, they would save a spot for me in the press box to watch the game.

Today I got an e-mail from the NHL saying they would not allow me to have contact with their employees - so the whole thing is ix-nayed.

Dangit! That would have been so much fun, and I even dared think of a second article in the series - to interview whichever player is in the press box during the game to hear what they have to say about watching their teammates play the games while they have to watch in street clothes.

I'm disappointed, but you have to at least take the shot, right?

Maybe I need to find out if college hockey has lighter rules about this stuff.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 492
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 11:37:05 AM   
twinsfan

Stalock needs to play more. I like the way he moves the puck.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 493
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 12:43:16 PM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

I don't want to jinx it so I'm tapping on wood while I write this, but I MIGHT be watching a Wild game from the press box in the near future. Stay tuned.

I pitched an idea to the Wild because I want to do a series of articles about those behind-the-scenes jobs in the world of sports that people don't know much about, and I wanted to start the series with an article on the people who work in the penalty boxes at NHL games. You see them with their clipboards, diligently recording the time of every infraction, and supposedly all of the other details, (even though all of that information is recorded in the scorer's box as well). I thought it would be fun to talk to someone who holds that job and hear a few stories about players and what they say and do while they sit in repentence (or not) for their bad deeds. Most of the employees who sit with their clipboards are old geezers, so I don't figure they're expected to handle an unruly player.

The media contact at the Wild was very upbeat about my pitch, although she said that the NHL regulates who is in the penalty box and that because I am not certified by them, I wouldn't be able to watch a game FROM the penalty box. So she said, stay tuned. If the league approves my ability to interview their employee, they would save a spot for me in the press box to watch the game.

Today I got an e-mail from the NHL saying they would not allow me to have contact with their employees - so the whole thing is ix-nayed.

Dangit! That would have been so much fun, and I even dared think of a second article in the series - to interview whichever player is in the press box during the game to hear what they have to say about watching their teammates play the games while they have to watch in street clothes.

Good try Lynn. Maybe you can do this at the college level. If not for Div. I hockey, try MIAC hockey

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 494
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 12:52:13 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

tap...tap....tap.....

Is this thing on?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 495
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 1:21:08 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

tap...tap....tap.....

Is this thing on?

Doobs handles the puck worse than most JV goalies.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 496
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 2:26:19 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Good try Lynn. Maybe you can do this at the college level. If not for Div. I hockey, try MIAC hockey

Good idea. I was hoping to be able to work some mention of a couple of NHL characters into the content, but the baseline story idea would work well for a smaller market and their newspaper. I'm going to have to decide how much time I want to dedicate to a non-NHL story.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 497
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 3:43:30 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

That sounds like a really cool idea, Lynn! I wonder why the NHL put the kibosh on it? I always thought the penalty box cop was the coolest looking job in sports, and it would've been cool what was involved in doing it.
Post #: 498
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/30/2019 11:58:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The silence is appropriate. Just blow it up as much as you can and start from scratch.
Post #: 499
RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season - 10/31/2019 12:00:12 AM   
Jeff Jesser

And by that I mean.

Bench the NTD guys (or don't play them) and play as many kids as we can. Let them ruffle feathers so they may waive it.
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2019/2020 Season Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode