Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 2:28:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings seem to need a veteran cornerback free agent to sign. The Captain might be one choice, but here is another.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/07/18/6-free-agents-still-help-minnesota-vikings-2019/3/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 2:34:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Mike Zimmer noted that CB Mike Hughes has a 'chance' to return this week vs. GB. As to whether the Vikings will have to ease him in: "I don't think so. He's been conditioning pretty good. I'm sure we'll have packages for him. We will just kind of see where he's at."

(Courtney Cronin on Twitter)

It would be great if he can contribute, but I still think we need another corner.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 2:54:13 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Hope all on here are well and have had a great summer!

My $0.02 on the game:

Winning in the the NFL is tough. I am always happy with a win. Especially in Week 1 - weird stuff happens.

A win at home and a conference win. Both good things.

The run blocking looked good and Cook was running tough. Oneill stood out to me.

Elf struggled in pass protection at times.

The TD by AT was sweet. Dude is so tough.

Harris was a BALLER!!

Great ST team. Punt coverage could be a bit better, but solid game.

The PI call on Waynes was crap.

Too many penalties. And the offsides drive me crazy. Gave atnaltA (copyright JB Schaefer) 3 first downs on those alone.

I would have preferred we work on our passing game a bit more, and generally don't like when Zimmer goes into prevent-offense mode, but it made sense yesterday.

Cousins does not have great pocket-awareness/sixth-sense like the great ones do. That is a weakness in his game, IMHO.

A win and we looked solid. I'll take it. Keep getting better.

SKOL!!!

What is the story behind atnaltA? I've only seen it on here, and I've never understood what it means.

Comes from the old Strib board days I think. Poster (James "JB" Schaefer) would only type the name Atlanta backwards after the 1998 NFCCG.

Might have started before the game - maybe
Post #: 303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 3:11:09 PM   
Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Sure. Don't remember. Amazingly, that was more than 20 years ago....

<this space for rent>
Post #: 304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 3:19:17 PM   
bohumm

quote:

I dont remember any Bebee hate last year. Some knothead mentions missed assignments and all of a sudden he aint shit
-funny

To be clear---at least for me---there's no hate. In fact, I'm pulling for him. I just don't see it with him, but my vantage point is limited. I don't see him in practice, I don't know what he's supposed to do on every play, etc. But from what I've seen, I don't see him as a more valuable piece on the team than Treadwell---who I also had hope for, so maybe I'm the problem.
Post #: 305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 3:20:11 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

My $0.02 on the game:

Winning in the the NFL is tough. I am always happy with a win. Especially in Week 1 - weird stuff happens.

The run blocking looked good and Cook was running tough. Oneill stood out to me.

Harris was a BALLER!!

Too many penalties. And the offsides drive me crazy. Gave atnaltA (copyright JB Schaefer) 3 first downs on those alone.

I would have preferred we work on our passing game a bit more, and generally don't like when Zimmer goes into prevent-offense mode, but it made sense yesterday.

Cousins does not have great pocket-awareness/sixth-sense like the great ones do. That is a weakness in his game, IMHO.

SKOL!!!

What is the story behind atnaltA? I've only seen it on here, and I've never understood what it means.

Comes from the old Strib board days I think. Poster (James "JB" Schaefer) would only type the name Atlanta backwards after the 1998 NFCCG.

Thanks. I thought it was something like calling the Cowboys Allas because they have no D.
Post #: 306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 4:30:05 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The Vikings seem to need a veteran cornerback free agent to sign. The Captain might be one choice, but here is another.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/07/18/6-free-agents-still-help-minnesota-vikings-2019/3/

So what's the story on Mac? Haven't seen anything about his MRI.
Post #: 307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 4:56:09 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

I dont remember any Bebee hate last year. Some knothead mentions missed assignments and all of a sudden he aint shit
-funny

To be clear---at least for me---there's no hate. In fact, I'm pulling for him. I just don't see it with him, but my vantage point is limited. I don't see him in practice, I don't know what he's supposed to do on every play, etc. But from what I've seen, I don't see him as a more valuable piece on the team than Treadwell---who I also had hope for, so maybe I'm the problem.

You're right my vantage point has been very limited as well - maybe more. I guess I'm operating on more hope than anything - just don't see how we've been given enough to look at yet to make any kind of judgments
Post #: 308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 5:39:22 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

You have to love on successive plays Cousins throws a pass to Dalvin in the flat who gets tackled for no gain.Falcons LBer Deon Jones

stands over Cook celebrating as the broadcast team lauds about how Jones is the best LBer in the league nobody knows about.

Next play Dalvin absolutely trucks over that same Jones about 25 yards down the field. Dalvin changes the scoreboard two plays later from 19 yards out.

Special player w/ better blocking bodes well.

Favorite play of the game, Dalvin trucking a guy who had him lined up
Dudes a real football player
Still think he hits the hole faster than any back we've had
I'm sure that will get shot down, but it just appears that way to me.
Love how he bursts thru small openings.
That can make a shitty O line look ok. An ok O line look good, and an above-average O Line look fantastic.
Hope we keep growing what we saw, and I hope we realize the scouting that will be done on us from this point on.
Creativity in play-calling is going to start to get more important every week. Starting now.

Cook is so fun to watch.

Very smooth and explosive.
(seems like a contradictory statement, but he is smooth and fast! )
Post #: 309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 7:27:00 PM   
GopherFan34

Great start, loved how Barr was after the QB. Rhodes stepped up again against Jones. Harris is a ball hawking safety, just what this defense needed. I thought Kendricks looked like he did 2 yrs ago. On to Pukesville, Rodgers wants nothing to do with Barr. Rodgers is going to try to quick rhythm us to death. Big week, lots of fun.
Post #: 310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 7:35:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My $0.02 on the game:

Harris was a BALLER!!

SKOL!!!

I think it did start before the game.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 7:37:16 PM   
kgdabom

Still nothing official about signing Jones, or who is being cut to sign him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 7:49:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Kirk threw the ball 10 times and still had more fantasy points than Trubisky 😂

Post #: 313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 7:58:20 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://images.app.goo.gl/nfQw9PiAkmA5zc22A

I saw another picture where the punters foot went to his face and another showing blood.

Here it is. I don't know if this will work for all of you or any of you.

https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/70275412_924524207914042_3224063410295537664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQktg2SrLKBpxKKAwS02aRFztRH5AtNI8G7ADbMsVFLD-bL-Ij1nkVOe4cfQuRdoRW25oxj1pSi8BBSmomb9QzZ9&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-1.fna&oh=f1ec4e9b49d39714f4af34baf222e867&oe=5DF5332A

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/9/2019 9:29:37 PM >

Post #: 314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:09:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Cook is football fast. (but not fast at the combine- go figure)

https://www.vikings.com/news/falcons-at-vikings-2019-3-stats-that-stood-out

Post #: 315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:40:21 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

You have to love on successive plays Cousins throws a pass to Dalvin in the flat who gets tackled for no gain.Falcons LBer Deon Jones

stands over Cook celebrating as the broadcast team lauds about how Jones is the best LBer in the league nobody knows about.

Next play Dalvin absolutely trucks over that same Jones about 25 yards down the field. Dalvin changes the scoreboard two plays later from 19 yards out.

That can make a shitty O line look ok. An ok O line look good, and an above-average O Line look fantastic.
Hope we keep growing what we saw, and I hope we realize the scouting that will be done on us from this point on.
Creativity in play-calling is going to start to get more important every week. Starting now.

Cook is so fun to watch.

I told my buddy here to draft Cook in FF; that he'd be monster this year. First time in 17 years I don't have a FF team, kinda nice to turn off the games after the Vikes played.

Cook reminds me a bit of Robert Smith. He could hit the hole and be through it with the best of them (pls Cook & AP among the top Vikes I've seen speed through the hole). Smith was also deceptively fast, so smooth, you didn't realize the chunks of yards he was eating up. Loved the debate on who would be faster Smith or Moss.

< Message edited by Pager -- 9/9/2019 9:46:00 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:44:43 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/9/20858279/minnesota-vikings-trying-bring-back-brett-jones

Interesting, they didn't have Jones clean out his locker. Looks like the plan was always to bring him back.

I'm guessing Dillon (TE) goes. Or maybe a DT, but I saw J Johnson out there on a few snaps. Same with Mataffa. Didn't see Watts but I haven't checked box score and I don't think they want to cut him.

Maybe they're waiting to hear about Mac, he might go on IR with designation to return, clearing up a roster spot. Hope Hughes can starting getting into game shape, we need him ASAP.

Post #: 317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:04:19 PM   
Pager

Couple of thoughts on the other posts.

We did what Bilichick does. Finally. They couldn't stop the run, we f****** ran it down their throats. Would 1-2 play-actions have helped extend a drive or two late in the game. Sure. But the game was over by mid way through the 3rd Quarter. Atlanta was warming up their back-up. It's a good thing we are pseudo-debating this (instead of "real issues"). Didn't think twice during or after the game about offensive play calling.

Elf has to be on a short leash. Garrett is tough. So is Hicks, Daniels, Clark, Cox, etc, etc, etc. Yes they were attacking him, and so will every other defensive coordinator worth a grain of salt. You can argue 2nd string all day, but Jones best year in the NFL dwarfs Elf's best year. I'm not saying pull him today, but Elf completely whiffed on too many plays not to be worried. Almost got Cousins killed on that fumble. OR you better have a scheme that protects him, which is tough with a rookie Center.

Post #: 318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 5:20:41 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cook is so fun to watch.

I told my buddy here to draft Cook in FF; that he'd be monster this year. First time in 17 years I don't have a FF team, kinda nice to turn off the games after the Vikes played.

Cook reminds me a bit of Robert Smith. He could hit the hole and be through it with the best of them (pls Cook & AP among the top Vikes I've seen speed through the hole). Smith was also deceptively fast, so smooth, you didn't realize the chunks of yards he was eating up. Loved the debate on who would be faster Smith or Moss.

Cook is fast, but not Moss/Smith fast. However, Cook runs with more power and is harder to tackle. Robert Smith so fast and seldom gets recognition for it. As I said before I have seen Randy Moss get caught from behind. Have never seen Robert Smith get caught from behind. Not saying I'm just saying.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/10/2019 5:26:52 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 5:58:45 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cook is so fun to watch.

Cook is fast, but not Moss/Smith fast. However, Cook runs with more power and is harder to tackle. Robert Smith so fast and seldom gets recognition for it. As I said before I have seen Randy Moss get caught from behind. Have never seen Robert Smith get caught from behind. Not saying I'm just saying.

I think you're mistaken about Smith not getting recognition for being fast. My recollection was that it was often mentioned that he ran the 100M in college, and I would imagine that OSU is reasonably competitive nationally.
Post #: 320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 6:09:39 AM   
jbusse

quote:

We did what Bilichick does. Finally. They couldn't stop the run, we f****** ran it down their throats. Would 1-2 play-actions have helped extend a drive or two late in the game. Sure. But the game was over by mid way through the 3rd Quarter. Atlanta was warming up their back-up. It's a good thing we are pseudo-debating this (instead of "real issues"). Didn't think twice during or after the game about offensive play calling.

Elf has to be on a short leash. Garrett is tough. So is Hicks, Daniels, Clark, Cox, etc, etc, etc. Yes they were attacking him, and so will every other defensive coordinator worth a grain of salt. You can argue 2nd string all day, but Jones best year in the NFL dwarfs Elf's best year. I'm not saying pull him today, but Elf completely whiffed on too many plays not to be worried. Almost got Cousins killed on that fumble. OR you better have a scheme that protects him, which is tough with a rookie Center.

Can't blame completely whiffing on not being able to condition himself properly a couple off seasons ago. Maybe he's just not very good. It's too bad if he's the best option at LG, because Cousins will eventually wear down if Elflein can't pass protect. With every hit, we're one step closer to a scared or injured QB.
Post #: 321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:31:02 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Glad to see so far there are not a Troy Williamesque litany of excuses for Elf this year.
Post #: 322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 8:57:22 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

League business like that is usually handled on Tuesdays.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 9:33:50 AM   
David F.

quote:

I was thinking that exact same thought during and after the game. I just really REALLY hope that we did that because we are finally smart and not because that was simply the gameplan and we got lucky. What I'm saying is that I hope the team is ready and eager to do the same thing when the situation calls for very little running, exploiting one particular matchup over and over, or any other strategy that diverges from what an old-school coach would call 'normal'.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/10/2019 9:36:01 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Good news about the GB match up in the slot is that GB's WR3 is Geronimo Allison. He's the perfect WR for Jayron Kearse to match up against. Allison is a 6'3 WR who ran a 4.67 forty. He's not a burner and he's not shifty. He's a big tall guy much like Sanu.

(Vikings Spin on Twitter)

Post #: 325
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode