Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:29:25 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Some interesting notes.

https://twitter.com/SamEkstrom/status/1171044738872598528?s=09

https://twitter.com/SamEkstrom/status/1171045789772201991?s=09

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:37:05 AM   
Todd M

quote:

I was more disappointed in the offense’s late game third down resignations ... which is not on Zimmer.

I felt it was entire series resignations. Like totally content knowing you are going to sell out to stop the run and we just want to take the time off the clock. Any PA pass or roll out even if just a basic check down likely extends a series or 2. But our metrics said that was not the way to go and to me it felt Stefanski pandering to Zimmer.
Post #: 252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:42:18 AM   
Jason Dorn

Skol Vikings. Stay humble with inspiration.

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:43:23 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I feel like we got the Barr we've been wanting to see for a while. Hunter and Griff looked good too. Hard to feel better about anyone than Harris though...that guy is going to get paid soon and you gotta love a guy come up from nothing and earn it. We got a few of those.

Last season his first sack came in Week 14 this season it came after 3 seconds.

Harris was fantastic, it's great being able to find the unheralded players develop into potential pro bowlers. There was a lull in finding these types of players after John Randle.
Post #: 254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:59:23 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

I feel like we got the Barr we've been wanting to see for a while. Hunter and Griff looked good too. Hard to feel better about anyone than Harris though...that guy is going to get paid soon and you gotta love a guy come up from nothing and earn it. We got a few of those.

Harris was fantastic, it's great being able to find the unheralded players develop into potential pro bowlers. There was a lull in finding these types of players after John Randle.

I’d say our ability to develop players has come leaps and bounds under Zimmer, and his staff (Largely in the secondary)

Harris was everywhere! While Sendejo brought you the head hunter mentality (Which became somewhat of a liability with rule changes) Hariis is wayyyyy more complete of a player.
  Post #: 255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:12:25 AM   
You have to love on successive plays Cousins throws a pass to Dalvin in the flat who gets tackled for no gain.Falcons LBer Deon Jones

stands over Cook celebrating as the broadcast team lauds about how Jones is the best LBer in the league nobody knows about.

Next play Dalvin absolutely trucks over that same Jones about 25 yards down the field. Dalvin changes the scoreboard two plays later from 19 yards out.

Special player w/ better blocking bodes well.
  Post #: 256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:30:53 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I was more disappointed in the offense’s late game third down resignations ... which is not on Zimmer.

I felt it was entire series resignations. Like totally content knowing you are going to sell out to stop the run and we just want to take the time off the clock. Any PA pass or roll out even if just a basic check down likely extends a series or 2. But our metrics said that was not the way to go and to me it felt Stefanski pandering to Zimmer.

You are 100% correct. Stefanski followed Zimmer's orders to the letter. Zimmer fired an OC in the middle of the season for not meeting his demands to run the football. Stefanski got aced out for this job once before. He's not about to lose it for defying Zim like his predecessor did.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:32:52 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

I’d say our ability to develop players has come leaps and bounds under Zimmer, and his staff (Largely in the secondary)

Harris was everywhere! While Sendejo brought you the head hunter mentality (Which became somewhat of a liability with rule changes) Hariis is wayyyyy more complete of a player.

Sendejo was a human scud missile, who injured his own teammates as often as opponents. I don't miss him at all.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:40:43 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

Sendejo was a human scud missile, who injured his own teammates as often as opponents. I don't miss him at all.

I always called him the misguided missile.

And no, his absence does not effect me negatively at all.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:41:35 AM   
David F.

Really enjoyed the game. It's nice to just win convincingly from start to finish. I love the excitement of a nail-biter too, don't get me wrong. Defense started the game aggressively and it paid off - and Zimmer made note of that in his post-game presser. NICE! I absolutely LOVED that we only threw the ball ten times. Screw balance. If it's working keep doing it. I don't mind one bit that Atlanta scored a couple of meaningless TDs. For what it's worth, they have a great passing game. I admired how crisp Julio and Ridley ran their routes. As I predicted early in the gameday thread, TE is still the biggest threat to the Zimmer defense and sure enough Hooper caught nine balls for 77 yards. But guess what? The opposing team is full of talented all-world players too! In the end our team was just too much for them. Skol.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:41:48 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I think that with a 28 point lead, we were running clock and playing field position and avoiding a momentum changing strip sack from Jarrett.

Although, a roll out should be pretty safe with either a 1st down or throw away and then punt.
Post #: 261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:46:38 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are 100% correct. Stefanski followed Zimmer's orders to the letter. Zimmer fired an OC in the middle of the season for not meeting his demands to run the football. Stefanski got aced out for this job once before. He's not about to lose it for defying Zim like his predecessor did.

I don't understand why people are so upset about this. It is a solid game strategy when up by 28 to go into a mode where you are milking the clock for everything it's worth. They tried to run run run to run down the clock, the defense was run to prevent big plays and make the Falcons chew up clock to move down the field. It is a solid strategy for winning. It is also the least risky way of doing it. Play more agressive and you may turn the ball over and give the other team some momentum. Give up a big play and that team starts thinking it has a chance. By making them work hard and burn time for every inch gained the other teams starts losing hope.

The Vikings Dominated this game. The Falcons looked the Vikings did vs the Bills last year. Like nothing they did was workiing.

I loved it.

Sacking Ryan to start the game, then blocking a punt. scoring a TD. All the Turnovers....every time they looked like they were getting something going we'd take the ball away.

Falcons were supposed to be a better team this year. They looked awful. Was it because they were awful or because we slapped them like a worn out donkey?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:46:55 AM   
David F.

Looking forward I can identify one big problem and one medium problem. The big problem is Elflein. He's terrible. I fear they won't demote him as that's typically the team's tendency. We'll see.

The medium sized problem is that Rudy is slow - I'm talking glacier slow. Let's hope Swirvin' Irvin can progress FAST.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:47:56 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Really enjoyed the game. It's nice to just win convincingly from start to finish. I love the excitement of a nail-biter too, don't get me wrong. Defense started the game aggressively and it paid off - and Zimmer made note of that in his post-game presser. NICE! I absolutely LOVED that we only threw the ball ten times. Screw balance. If it's working keep doing it. I don't mind one bit that Atlanta scored a couple of meaningless TDs. For what it's worth, they have a great passing game. I admired how crisp Julio and Ridley ran their routes. As I predicted early in the gameday thread, TE is still the biggest threat to the Zimmer defense and sure enough Hooper caught nine balls for 77 yards. But guess what? The opposing team is full of talented all-world players too! In the end our team was just too much for them. Skol.

Amen!!!!

Post #: 264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 9:52:30 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Looking forward I can identify one big problem and one medium problem. The big problem is Elflein. He's terrible. I fear they won't demote him as that's typically the team's tendency. We'll see.

The medium sized problem is that Rudy is slow - I'm talking glacier slow. Let's hope Swirvin' Irvin can progress FAST.

I don't think we just look the other way if Elflein keeps this up. Dozier should get his chance.
Post #: 265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:00:15 AM   
thebigo

I didn't like that block in the bacl penalty on.. was it Rudolph? The defender turned his back on the play, exposing his back to the block. Not a penalty to a savvy official.
Post #: 266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:14:55 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't understand why people are so upset about this. It is a solid game strategy when up by 28 to go into a mode where you are milking the clock for everything it's worth. They tried to run run run to run down the clock, the defense was run to prevent big plays and make the Falcons chew up clock to move down the field. It is a solid strategy for winning. It is also the least risky way of doing it. Play more agressive and you may turn the ball over and give the other team some momentum. Give up a big play and that team starts thinking it has a chance. By making them work hard and burn time for every inch gained the other teams starts losing hope.

The Vikings Dominated this game. The Falcons looked the Vikings did vs the Bills last year. Like nothing they did was workiing.

I loved it.

Sacking Ryan to start the game, then blocking a punt. scoring a TD. All the Turnovers....every time they looked like they were getting something going we'd take the ball away.

Falcons were supposed to be a better team this year. They looked awful. Was it because they were awful or because we slapped them like a worn out donkey?

I'm not upset about it. I'm just stating the obvious dynamic.

Personally, I would like to have seen a few high percentage pass plays mixed in to try to sustain drives and chew up even more clock, but that's just me. The logic in staying exclusively on the ground with a 28 point lead and the defense dominating the game, is hard to argue with. The only thing that gets Atlanta back in the game are turnovers. Running the ball reduces the chance of a turn over.

Post #: 267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:17:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

They called 10 total pass plays. Let's see a bit more of a sample size before we write off Elflein.

Post #: 268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:20:41 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

I didn't like that block in the bacl penalty on.. was it Rudolph? The defender turned his back on the play, exposing his back to the block. Not a penalty to a savvy official.

Right, and you dont even need to be thst savvy.
If you dont see 100% of that play you dont throw the flag.
Post #: 269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:34:50 AM   
bohumm

Re: refusal to pass late in the game, I see two operative points:
- We don't have assuredly safe pass plays because we don't control the line well enough and there are questions about Cousins' pocket presence.
- Running the ball assured that the clock would run and/or the Falcons would have to use timeouts.

Wish we were more capable and/or willing to throw at similar points in closer games, but I have no real issue with what we did yesterday.
Post #: 270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:35:05 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

On the challenge of the PI ....

there were 2 penalties (1) hands to the face that was declined (2) the PI

- can one assume once they declined the hands to the face that if Zimmer wins that challenge of PI that's it, incomplete pass? - why challenge it other than the distance they would have the ball would be different?

No, the other penalty would've been applied. Big difference in field position.

Jinx.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:46:42 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

I loved it.

I'm not upset about it. I'm just stating the obvious dynamic.

Personally, I would like to have seen a few high percentage pass plays mixed in to try to sustain drives and chew up even more clock, but that's just me. The logic in staying exclusively on the ground with a 28 point lead and the defense dominating the game, is hard to argue with. The only thing that gets Atlanta back in the game are turnovers. Running the ball reduces the chance of a turn over.

The boys basically went into preseason mode after going up 28-0. The only thing to play for was keeping the shutout and was close had Ryan not connected on a perfect pass to Ridley on 4th down. Let's not forget we play at Lambeau and at Soldier 2 out of the next 3 weeks.
Post #: 272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:47:13 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

Hope all on here are well and have had a great summer!

My $0.02 on the game:

Winning in the the NFL is tough. I am always happy with a win. Especially in Week 1 - weird stuff happens.

A win at home and a conference win. Both good things.

The run blocking looked good and Cook was running tough. Oneill stood out to me.

Elf struggled in pass protection at times.

The TD by AT was sweet. Dude is so tough.

Harris was a BALLER!!

Great ST team. Punt coverage could be a bit better, but solid game.

The PI call on Waynes was crap.

Too many penalties. And the offsides drive me crazy. Gave atnaltA (copyright JB Schaefer) 3 first downs on those alone.

I would have preferred we work on our passing game a bit more, and generally don't like when Zimmer goes into prevent-offense mode, but it made sense yesterday.

Cousins does not have great pocket-awareness/sixth-sense like the great ones do. That is a weakness in his game, IMHO.

A win and we looked solid. I'll take it. Keep getting better.

SKOL!!!

What is the story behind atnaltA? I've only seen it on here, and I've never understood what it means.
Post #: 273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:49:11 AM   
ratoppenheimer

i'm thinking that this was mostly in the second half....

Daniel House@DanielHouseNFL
Without factoring in tonight's games, Dalvin Cook faced the third-most eight-man boxes (47.62%) of any running back in Week 1, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. He averaged 5.3 yards per carry and three of his runs fell within the top-20 fastest plays. #Vikings

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 10:51:51 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

They called 10 total pass plays. Let's see a bit more of a sample size before we write off Elflein.

Bingo.

Way too soon to evaluate that dynamic.

10 total pass plays folks....10.

And at one point we were up by 28. Total Domination. As the announcers said during the game, if you would have told me before the game that Cousins would only throw the ball 10 times, Thielen would only have three catchs, Diggs two and Rudolph none, I would have said the Vikings are in trouble. They most assuredly were not.

Defensively next weekend here is what the Packers are going to try to do:

Stop the run. And then we will smoke them with Diggs and Theilen....and maybe Beebe, Johnson Doctson, Smith and Rudolph.

Offensively this is what the Packers will try to do:

Keep us in nickel and attack whomever is taking Mac Alexanders spot...

And if I can see that a week in advance. So can Zimmer and co.

Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode