Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2019 11:46:19 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

With Oakland and Dallas both losing this week, the vikes now have zero wins this season against teams that currently have a record of .500 or better. 9-0 vs losing teams, 0-4 vs winning teams.

They likely only had one or two last year.
Post #: 4301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 6:23:10 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

I just finished watching the condensed version of the game. Not much to say except we play a solid game in all phases. We should have against the Lions, but as you know, sometimes this team has a knack for playing down to their competition. This game was never in question, although I am a little baffled that Zim went for it at mid field with a couple minutes still left on the clock. Just should have buried them deep with a punt and closed it out. That is the kind of stupid stuff that makes me scratch my head, just not very smart. I totally understand if we were down in the game, but we were only up by 13 points, why risk it with that much time on the clock. What would he have done had the Lions completed a TD pass on the very next play and then converted the on sides kick with a couple minutes still to go in the game, how do you explain the decision? Just not smart and too cute for him. It didn't happen and we won the game, but really, it shouldn't have been the decision there.

I'm not sure what analytics would say in this specific situation, but if it were a one score game against a good offense, going for it there would have been the right decision (but via a pass attempt, I would think). In that scenario, if you pick up two yards, the game is over, vs. giving the good offense one more shot at winning, albeit on a longer field.
Post #: 4302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 7:06:27 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

With Oakland and Dallas both losing this week, the vikes now have zero wins this season against teams that currently have a record of .500 or better. 9-0 vs losing teams, 0-4 vs winning teams.

They likely only had one or two last year.

MN Vikings 6-0 at home, 3-4 on the road.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 8:02:32 AM   
Lars

My $0.02:

A good solid win. Winning in the NFL is never easy and no win should be counted on or assumed. Glad they showed up.

The offensive gameplan seemed very vanilla. Simple routes with few guys going out at times. A little predictable. Meh.

Defense played well - which they should have vs Blough & Co. Was clear they were not going to let Golladay, etc. beat them over the top.

Going for it on 4th down late was idiotic. Punt the ball and pin them deep. Giving them the ball at the 40 was a horrible outcome.

Bailey with a solid outing.

Cousins was a bit off, I think. A couple of his throws were behind guys (including the TD to Bisi).

Nothing too exciting. But it's another win - WAAAYYYY better than a loss.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 4304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 9:27:15 AM   
drviking

What happened to Jacksonville's defense. They wee pretty good a couple years ago.

Just another example of what happens when you don't have a QB

The windows are extremely small with keeping a Defense good

If you want to stay good. You better have a QB

Jags are us if we stay with Keenum

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 4305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 9:36:36 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

Otherwise known as:
Kirk Cousins is our starting QB

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 9:50:21 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Otherwise known as:
Kirk Cousins is our starting QB

This has been a 'thing' since before Cousins.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 9:52:23 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

My $0.02:

A good solid win. Winning in the NFL is never easy and no win should be counted on or assumed. Glad they showed up.

The offensive gameplan seemed very vanilla. Simple routes with few guys going out at times. A little predictable. Meh.

Defense played well - which they should have vs Blough & Co. Was clear they were not going to let Golladay, etc. beat them over the top.

Going for it on 4th down late was idiotic. Punt the ball and pin them deep. Giving them the ball at the 40 was a horrible outcome.

Bailey with a solid outing.

Cousins was a bit off, I think. A couple of his throws were behind guys (including the TD to Bisi).

Nothing too exciting. But it's another win - WAAAYYYY better than a loss.

Yep. Ask Houston fans if they want a boring win today?

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 12/9/2019 11:22:18 AM >
Post #: 4308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 10:04:40 AM   
David F.

I understand that the Vikes are not the #1 team in the league this year. Teams that are clearly better than us - just off the top of my head - Pats, Ravens, Niners, maybe the Saints and maybe the Seahawks... doesn't matter for this topic. All that said you never know what might happen in the playoffs. It's even more possible to steal a playoff win or two if you have home field advantage. We need to get home field advantage. To get that we have to beat at least one good team. The team I'm thinking of is the Packers. We're a better team than them. Now we have to win out and hope they drop one to the Lions or the Bears. We are also a better team than the Chiefs without Mahomes.

The difference this year between us winning the division and having HFA or the Packers having it is that they beat the Mahomes-less Chiefs and we didn't and we couldn't beat them in Lamblow even though we were the better team that day.

I'm still hoping for the best.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 11:16:14 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I understand that the Vikes are not the #1 team in the league this year. Teams that are clearly better than us - just off the top of my head - Pats, Ravens, Niners, maybe the Saints and maybe the Seahawks... doesn't matter for this topic. All that said you never know what might happen in the playoffs. It's even more possible to steal a playoff win or two if you have home field advantage. We need to get home field advantage. To get that we have to beat at least one good team. The team I'm thinking of is the Packers. We're a better team than them. Now we have to win out and hope they drop one to the Lions or the Bears. We are also a better team than the Chiefs without Mahomes.

The difference this year between us winning the division and having HFA or the Packers having it is that they beat the Mahomes-less Chiefs and we didn't and we couldn't beat them in Lamblow even though we were the better team that day.

Yep.

We have to play better.

Getting Thielen back and Hill and Hughes subbing for Rhodes will definitely help.

Things that need to get better.

1) OLine still has issues. Passing game stalled because of interior pressure yesterday.
2) Teams are catching on to when we want to go play action. It looked like DET knew what we were doing in the 2nd half. Pass and Run calls. Get the white board out.
3) Pass Rush needs to improve. Yeah. We got 5 sacks. I'm thinking it would have been 2 if a healthy Stafford had played.(Hunter sack before missed FG should have been a 3rd down completion to Marvin Jones for a 1st down) More time for Odenigbo. More timely blitzes.
4) As I said above, less Rhodes.

Winning division will be the key to our success. GB will have to beat a resurging Bears team and hopefully a Stafford led Lions team in DET who would love to play spoiler after getting jobbed by refs in GB.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 12/9/2019 1:59:53 PM >
Post #: 4310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 11:58:14 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Yep.

We have to play better.

Getting Thielen back and Hill and Hughes subbing for Rhodes will definitely help.

1) OLine still has issues. Passing game stalled because of interior pressure yesterday.
2) Teams are catching on to when we want to go play action. It looked like DET knew what we were doing in the 2nd half. Pass and Run calls. Get the white board out.
3) Pass Rush needs to improve. Yeah. We got 5 sacks. I'm thinking it would have been 2 if a healthy Stafford had played.(Hunter sack before missed FG should have been a 1st down completion to Marvin Jones for a 1st down) More time for Odenigbo. More timely blitzes.

Winning division will be the key to our success. GB will have to beat a resurging Bears team and hopefully a Stafford led Lions team in DET who would love to play spoiler after getting jobbed by refs in GB.

Yesterday the Vikings' coaching staff did a spectacular job with Rhodes in regard to maximizing his positives and minimizing his negatives. He started the game in his normal spot, then was out for a series or two, then was on the other side of the field, then was out, then was back in his regular spot. I bet Detroit was licking their chops when they saw him in his normal spot to start the game and then just like that he was gone and then moved around. Hopefully this continues.

Post #: 4311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:01:38 PM   
drviking

We lost the chance of the division losing to KC and Chase Daniels

Win one of those and it's ours

We are only playing for wild card
IMO

Post #: 4312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:35:17 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

IMO

We need help. Bears beat Packers and we win out...We win division.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:38:23 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

IMO

The KC one really hurt. Very few plays went our way that day.

The Bears could have played Spergeon Wynn and beaten us with the way their D dominated.
Post #: 4314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:40:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

What happened to Jacksonville's defense. They wee pretty good a couple years ago.

Just another example of what happens when you don't have a QB

The windows are extremely small with keeping a Defense good

If you want to stay good. You better have a QB

Jags are us if we stay with Keenum

Two best players wiggled their way out of there.

Both via trade

Fowler and Ramsey

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:40:23 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Yep.

We have to play better.

3) Pass Rush needs to improve. Yeah. We got 5 sacks. I'm thinking it would have been 2 if a healthy Stafford had played.(Hunter sack before missed FG should have been a 1st down completion to Marvin Jones for a 1st down) More time for Odenigbo. More timely blitzes.

Getting Thielen back would be HUGE for this team.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 4316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:43:27 PM   
Ragnarök

If we make the Play Offs its going to be win out plus Bears beat Pack next week and we get three seed and play Packers at in our house wild card week end, or we get six seed and travel to Lameblow for wild card game.

If the Saints win two out of their last three, the #2 is gone–but the #3 is still there. Getting that seed means that most likely the Vikings can face the Packers back at US Bank Stadium and not in Lambeau Field.

That means: ‘Win, Bears, win’ next week in Wisconsin!

For those of us who fear a great fear of yesterday, that the Chicago Bears could win out while the Vikings could be tripped in Los Angeles against the Chargers this coming Sunday or at home against the visiting Packers in Week 16, setting up a “win-to-get-in” situation again in US Bank Stadium in Week 17 against the Bears…I understand your anxiety.

But, with the Bears coming off that potential win in Green Bay they will face the red-hot Kansas City Chiefs in Soldier Field in Week 16. The Chiefs, at 9-4 now, will be locked into their own playoff positioning fight and will come at Chicago with all guns blazing.
Post #: 4317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:43:28 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

IMO

We need help. Bears beat Packers and we win out...We win division.

2% chance

Imo

Post #: 4318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 12:45:11 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Yep.

We have to play better.

Getting Thielen back would be HUGE for this team.

Getting a healthy Theilen back would be good

I don't think he will be healthy

Post #: 4319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 2:06:01 PM   
McMurfy

Likely worn out from end of year Promos from Oakley and Maui Jim.
Plus that whole Vuarnet Restock disaster.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 4320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 2:09:28 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 2:19:31 PM   
Pager

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/12/9/21003242/minnesota-vikings-optimistic-adam-thielen-will-return-los-angeles-chargers-game

Scar Tissue out of his leg ?!?!?!

First I've heard of it. Did Thielan have surgery on that leg?

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 2:23:32 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

🤪. It took me a bit to get it.

Post #: 4323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 2:45:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

IMO

The bye is the most important....I don't think we can catch SF, Seattle, or NO so just get in the playoffs.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2019 2:51:33 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/12/9/21003242/minnesota-vikings-optimistic-adam-thielen-will-return-los-angeles-chargers-game

Scar Tissue out of his leg ?!?!?!

First I've heard of it. Did Thielan have surgery on that leg?

Where to begin....

Scar tissue is not created only by surgical procedures..

A strain or sprain to a muscle or ligament or tendon will cause physical tearing and destruction of tissue that the body repairs in a long process of regeneration..

Scar tissue is like spackel or plastic wood to repair a damaged wall or wood.. your body make a temporary/permanent fix to soft tissue with scar tissue that is replaced over time and therapeutic actions with more normal, less ridged and stiff “ normal tissue. Internal scars are usually called adhesions... they limit range of motion or functional movement.

Deep tissue massage and other methods of treatment not requiring surgery can speed up the process.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 4325
Page:   <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode